• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Daily Challenges

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser8394

Yup. I doubt that i'll ever finish a week of Challenges but it'd still be nice to get to tackle the system and every now and then see that a given day could be finished with just a little extra effort.

DeletedUser7147

please check my town
In the first quest ask for 460 population
i build 2 country houses 1 chalet and 1 hut
but dont count my country houses yet why
please fix it i spend all day the last weeks in the daily challenge and always i get the lwest price thats not fair

DeletedUser8404

please check my town
In the first quest ask for 460 population
i build 2 country houses 1 chalet and 1 hut
but dont count my country houses yet why
please fix it i spend all day the last weeks in the daily challenge and always i get the lwest price thats not fair
While it doesn't fix your particular issue, you should be aware that you don't have to get all the population at the same time. It's sufficient to build a hut or stilt house, then delete it, build it, delete it, etc.

DeletedUser8750

I only just started here, but I really like the daily challenge thing so long as (as noted by others) it would NEVER force us to advance in tech tree or on continent map than we wanted to. I will play this game longer if I am allowed to stay in each era as long as I feel the need to. That's one thing I hate about ALL events, is that it often won't let me stay in a place as long as I want to stay there. I like to build up goods, supplies and military strength and level the GBs of that age before I move on to the next.

DeletedUser8410

Despite the remaining flaws, like above, I would say this feature is ready for live release?

When Z opened on US, there was an announcement that the unfairness of some getting daily challenges in a new world would be addressed within several days. Well it's been over a week and still no word.

Meanwhile those who have daily challenges are piling up the rewards and the rest of us are falling further behind.

DeletedUser8746

“When Z opened on US, there was an announcement that the unfairness of some getting daily challenges in a new world would be addressed within several days. Well it's been over a week and still no word.

Meanwhile those who have daily challenges are piling up the rewards and the rest of us are falling further behind.”

I stopped playing Y after one week because of this unfairness.

DeletedUser8746

The daily challenges force a player to play the game in a way that removes the strategizing aspect. This is a strategy game, and part of its inherent beauty and the reason I’ve played daily for over two years, is the infinite ways to play.

It is possible to strategize while performing story, event, side and recurring quests.

It is NOT possible to strategize your game when forced to comply with strict and sometimes impossible daily quests, unless part of your strategy involves being set back over and over again by these challenges.

Additionally, it is demoralizing (ok, yeah, I play to have fun) to not be able to complete a quest. Really don’t need that.

My vote: If you’re going to do it, fix the challenges so they’re doable.

qaccy

Emperor
The daily challenges force a player to play the game in a way that removes the strategizing aspect. This is a strategy game, and part of its inherent beauty and the reason I’ve played daily for over two years, is the infinite ways to play.

It is possible to strategize while performing story, event, side and recurring quests.

It is NOT possible to strategize your game when forced to comply with strict and sometimes impossible daily quests, unless part of your strategy involves being set back over and over again by these challenges.

Additionally, it is demoralizing (ok, yeah, I play to have fun) to not be able to complete a quest. Really don’t need that.

My vote: If you’re going to do it, fix the challenges so they’re doable.

You're confusing 'doable' with 'easy'. They're supposed to be hard, they're challenges. How is playing the game in a way that optimizes DC completion any less of a strategy than any other?

DCs still could use some adjusting as far as I can see, but not in the way you're suggesting. You're not being 'forced' to take part in them; if you feel like they're too difficult, simply skip them until such time that you see one you're able to complete without 'inconveniencing' yourself too much. Nothing's really lost by not doing them, unless you're working towards the weekly chest but again, that's something you have to consider when you start doing them. Same as when you're looking to place an expansion, or deciding which buildings to put down. The game is all about weighing your options and deciding which is best for you and your city.

Also, it's rather galling to say that you quit playing one world because of the DC availability 'unfairness', while at the same time you personally don't even like doing them. What, so it bothers you both that you find them too difficult to complete that it's 'sub-optimal' to do them, while also thinking it's unfair that some people don't have access to this feature that's allegedly a disadvantage to make use of? That stance doesn't really make sense to me.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
@Andi47 It's on you if you choose to use blacksmiths to complete the quest. I'm in OF as well and I'd be able to complete that requirement in less than an hour with no blacksmiths needed. The real question is: Why don't you build some actual supply buildings instead of trying to complain that Inno's 'forcing' you to build blacksmiths?

Possibly because there's no need for the supplies they make. In my main I have 2 terrace farms that i overall would rather not use for event/challenge conditions, 6 flower shops and 6 blacksmiths that exist for events and i'd use for challenges. usually they do the '6 24 hr quest' for me. But I don't need the supplies. I do tons of unbirthdays daily but also tons of other quests such that overall my supplies go up without any collections. The core problem in my case is the poorly designed 'Have < 42 population' quest. To receive it you need to have over 1000 population - so i sit at 1020 to 1062 population and every time it comes up i build an industrial age goods building (cost : ~41k coin and 93k supplies). On average this pays out over 100k coins and supplies per completion at my chateau level. Plus there's bonus completions of collect coin and collect supply quests i'll get while doing this. Perhaps more significantly if i had a reason to care about supplies instead of 1 industrial goods building i could build 3 EMA goods buildings (cost : ~16k coin and 27k supplies) - this practically doesn't even require a chateau to at least break even. A level 10 chateau rakes in huge profit. I used to do this one when i first got to OF before i got trained into 'supplies don't matter'. I switched to the industrial building because it was less clicks and less dead space allocated.

The problem with quests like this (and this really isn't the only one in recent ages that fits this issue) is that there's very little space-time requirement from your city. I need a 5x3 space in my city for a rubber plant and can do it as much as i want daily. I wind up with unlimited coins and supplies at my disposal in addition to free goods and FP and there's very little space requirement for anything so i just load my city up with barracks and event buildings. If you rewind back to FE, the last 'normal' age - someone like me who liked to quest had their entire city devoted to it - there was an eternal struggle to justify how much of anything other than your quest buildings you were going to fit in. It presented an interesting challenge to city design. The 'dream' was to make it to 'infinite unbirthday' to remove this constraint but it was a very longterm difficult goal to get there apart from a few early ages where the reward/cost ratio was more favorable to the player.

If you move it back to where unbirthday was the only quest that didn't have a space-time constraint then AF and OF questing would be relatively balanced. This means axing or nerfing the following:

AF : 'Build 8 Decos' - increase the cost of the AF deco at the end of the tree to the point where this isn't too much better than unbirthday is the obvious answer
AF and OF : 'Gain X Happiness' (not quite as broken - a lot more work but i had a layout in AF where i built and sold 40some taverns every 10 minutes to complete both gain happiness quests until i reached the crystal flower deco at the end of the age needed to make 8 decos profitable) - it might be 'fine' to leave these in place.
OF : 'Have < 42 population' - move the threshold up to at least 5k population to obtain it, maybe 10k. The reason the Have > 20k population quest isn't a problem is you have to have < 10k population to get it. It either takes a lot more buildings or a lot more cost to do those size of population swings.

While not as problematic one more ridiculous questline
OF : 'Complete 6 24 hr productions' - add 'in a building of your current age' - this currently causes a few players to take the strategy of spamming blacksmiths for quest completions - 2 blacksmiths is one quest on average (since you can do all 3 versions of 6 24 hr productions at once).

Andi47

Overlord
Again challenging other people's actions, or non-actions?

Challenging%20other_people%27s_non_action%C2%BF%C2%BF%C2%BF.jpg

You should challenge ME (like with the 12x 4 hour-productions below), and NOT other people!!

BTW: When logging in before the start of the new challenge, the questgiver's portrait does NOT change to the closed chest - and so I got punished for collecting an almost full tavern after the set start of the challenge before leaving the house for dinner....

Andi47

Overlord
Again challenging other people's actions, or non-actions?

Challenging%20other_people%27s_non_action%C2%BF%C2%BF%C2%BF.jpg

You should challenge ME (like with the 12x 4 hour-productions below), and NOT other people!!

BTW: When logging in before the start of the new challenge, the questgiver's portrait does NOT change to the closed chest - and so I got punished for collecting an almost full tavern after the set start of the challenge before leaving the house for dinner....

Well.... I managed to complete the quest.... or should I say my friends managed to do the quest?

qaccy

Emperor
Possibly because there's no need for the supplies they make. In my main I have 2 terrace farms that i overall would rather not use for event/challenge conditions, 6 flower shops and 6 blacksmiths that exist for events and i'd use for challenges. usually they do the '6 24 hr quest' for me. But I don't need the supplies. I do tons of unbirthdays daily but also tons of other quests such that overall my supplies go up without any collections. The core problem in my case is the poorly designed 'Have < 42 population' quest. To receive it you need to have over 1000 population - so i sit at 1020 to 1062 population and every time it comes up i build an industrial age goods building (cost : ~41k coin and 93k supplies). On average this pays out over 100k coins and supplies per completion at my chateau level.

That kinda requires an overly-levelled Chateau as well, which itself leads to some problems in game balance - at the core, this issue doesn't exist because you're almost always going to be coin/supply negative running through repeatable quests that attach a cost in order to complete it. For example, I collect about 3.5 million supplies per day in my city, and with a level 11 Chateau that means I can get maybe 8 or 9 UBQs completed per day, at least 7, if I do nothing but those quests. You being able to do 'tons of unbirthdays daily' is mainly due to your Chateau level, but even that's not entirely conclusive to your assessment that there's no need for supply buildings nor the supplies they produce. The (high-level) Chateau might allow you to 'give the middle finger' to some aspects of the game, but that doesn't mean those aspects of the game are now irrelevant for the game as a whole.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
No I don't imagine they're irrelevant for everyone but they are for a surprising number of people (even non-questers). It's not just chateau that makes it broken - apart from unbirthdays, there's not much consumed for daily supplies. And if you're in OF and not a quester with a chateau you're probably not using the unbirthday quests. In AF the only time I'd need supplies is when I redesigned my city entirely and was putting up a different 20 barracks. That's not something everyone does either. It did make it so every once in a while i had to focus on getting my supplies up though while in OF I don't even think about them.

Continuing to make some supply buildings available completely makes sense. But it does make phases of OF rather irritating when they're comprised of 1 new residence almost noone cares about, 1-2 new cultural buildings and supply buildings almost noone cares about, 1 new barracks someone might care about if the new unit is any good, and a whole lot of pointless FP sink in the name of trying to make you continue using the harbor. Not that i have a better suggestion on how to divide an age into 10 parts - really i'm opposed to these ad hoc phased ages as a whole to begin with.

At any rate after going completely off-topic I can sympathise with people that don't want to have any supply buildings because they don't need them for their normal play - personally i'm ok with my 12 tiny supply buildings that exist for events. But if I for any reason felt space was particularly precious i might be irritated too at using up ~72 squares for them. I'd go with 12 blacksmiths as the right answer instead of 6 flower stores and 6 blacksmiths but every now and then there's those 'current or previous age' productions needed - so having some flower stores fills in all the holes and lets me do events.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8341

30 FP seems like a pretty good reward to me in exchange for those tasks and I'd be all over trying to complete it. If you don't think that's a decent reward then you're probably not one to ask regarding what DC rewards should be.

Meanwhile, other people in this same thread are complaining that DC rewards suck for the effort put in. Who should be believed here regarding the impact of DC rewards?

Anyway, it's also entirely possible that players with Rogue Hideouts received them from those randomly-appearing special diamond offers that pop up every so often (I received one on the third or fourth day, but mine was for a Wishing Well). A set building on its own is worthless; winning a Palace from DCs isn't going to put you miles ahead of anybody because it only produces coins when it's by itself. The Black Tower is basically the Maharaja set compressed down into a 4x5 footprint with lower output, and is certainly more powerful than a single unlinked Palace.

Regarding the money thing, people spend money regardless in a new world. DCs aren't going to let you reach LMA (or beyond) in the first week of a world being open, and they're not going to let you get multiple GBs as soon as you're able to start collecting BPs either. You're making DCs out to be much more game-changing than they actually are if you think they can actually compete with what diamonds allow you to do.
I don't think the person you responded to stated that DCs were better than the things you mention. You're making DCs out to be much less game-changing than they actually are. Of course, they don't mean you have instant GBs but they do mean you can level GBs faster through gaining FP-producing buildings, and even build them sooner with the help of goods creators or simply by having generally more efficient buildings.

I have completed around 80-90% of Daily Challenges on beta. My winnings include:
  • Oasis
  • Fishing Hut
  • Elephant Fountain and two components
  • Three components of Maharaja's Palace (not the Palace itself, yet)
  • Sakura Rock
  • 4 Rogue Hideouts
  • 2 Maypole Upgrades
  • a number of Store Building Kits, One-up Kits and Renno Kits
  • a number of standard and premium residential, production and culture buildings
To imagine that this does not constitute a huge advantage for a player with DCs over a player without is daft. Since i have only been on beta since after Summer, the Sakura Rock is still in my inventory, waiting for other components. I don't have a Maharaja's Palace on beta but my live towns would love those extra components and they are good even as they are. FOUR Rogue Hideouts! I still don't have a single one on my live worlds.

Players with DCs can choose not to bother with them and I am aware of the people who say they won't do them - that's their choice and, like not doing GE, they are missing out. Players without DCs can not choose to do them but are consigned to secondary status against Inno's pet players on live servers.

Inno and Forge of Empires are getting bad names on gaming forums by playing the game of favouritism - without so much as a statement as to why they are doing it or a timetable of when/if everyone else will be given the chance to compete equally. On EN servers, the only announcement has been that there is no release date, which was stated in the week that they started releasing it to a select few.

qaccy

Emperor
@xivarmy
You may have a point regarding new tech releases, in that the longer people play the game the higher their GBs tend to go and the more special buildings they tend to acquire which ultimately render even diamond buildings obsolete. It's possible that, even though research has more or less always unlocked the same stuff, that design may now be out of touch with what the game looks like for the more advanced/knowledgeable/active players. However, if it's the case that essentially all research unlocks are 'boring' and these unlocked buildings are never used, what can be done to change this?

But back to the supply thing, I just don't personally see why it'd be hard for anyone to have 'useful' supply buildings instead of just cramming in blacksmiths and complaining about it. Maybe I'm just being obtuse. But more supplies can always lead to more cycling quests, so it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

@Prinza the Hunter
Two things are important to keep in mind here: The other prizes you've also received along with your list (the ones you felt weren't worth mentioning), and the total time it's taken to acquire all of those prizes. I'm emphasizing not that DCs don't provide an advantage, but that the impact is far lower than some are trying to claim and especially so over the relatively short period of time they've been available (outside of the beta server), combined with the facts that you're not going to be winning big-ticket or even useful prizes every time you complete one because, as others have mentioned, there's a lot of 'junk' stuffed in next to all of those powerful/desirable prizes, and the odds are weighted accordingly.

Ultimately, this discrepancy might have some implication in the short term rat race but for any long-time player who's already established, or on any server that's not newly opened, the effects of DCs are not really going to have much of a game-changing impact. What good are DC rewards to someone who's already got a fully-built city with maybe a few areas they can remodel? What's the meaning of 'competitive edge' in DC rewards for a player joining an older server where there are maybe only a handful of new players coming in per week?

DeletedUser8471

Well.... I managed to complete the quest.... or should I say my friends managed to do the quest?

I really don’t think this will be near as much of a problem on the live servers where players are much more heavily active.