• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Winter Event 2022

Astrid

Baronet
yes, but this discussion was about the Halloween Event, not Winter Event. In the Winter Event, it was only available for diamonds here.
I hope that from now on we will have the premium pass only on diamonds, not cash. On Halloween event, if you had a certain amount of diamonds in your inventory, then the box would be available to purchase only for cash. If you didn't have too many diamonds then you could buy it for diamonds :)

I hope they won't do the same for Winter event. Let the box be available only for diamonds for everyone.

Outlaw Dread

Baronet
1) Disappointed that there was no sleigh builder this time. That is the one prize I now value the most from a winter event.
2) I'll consider spending diamonds on an event pass, but not cash. That said, the rewards don't seem worthwhile.
3) I personally don't like largely chance-based events, prefer ones that reward good strategic choices. So this will never be a favorite, at least not how it's currently designed. And did I mention how disappointing it is to not have sleigh builders as a prize?
4) An event that lasts a full month is way too long imho.
5) Fully upgraded event building was quite doable, as long as one does not go for calendar keys.
6) Definitely will play, albeit halfheartedly, on live. But not at all motivated to spend cash on it.

Dessire

Regent
me, looking the picture of the north part of a city covered by snow in the event page: it looks so cool! why they can give us that during winter event but can't give us atleast a way to pay diamonds to change the daytime or seaon of our city like winter, fall, spring, during the morning, noon, night?!!!??? the are showing us that they can add snow but not rain? not night? pleeeaseeeee!!!!
by the way, since 2018 i have completed all the events without spending diamonds.

Kronan

Viceroy
Inno - I liked the event. Well done. I like the prize choices and the fact that they BOTH actually spawn fragments for a child building of distinct value. I spent a large portion of the diamonds you've been giving me to beta test for you (and those I've won in GE) to position for a time when additional upgrades become available and I can get more to build a 2nd one.

I've suggested to other in the live game that they should get ready for this one ...in a positive tone.

kawada

Marquis
Unfortunately, beta becomes less and less attractive.
First - GBG change, now - awfully disbalanced events. I understand that it's beta server and testing is the purpose of it, but disbalance is so obvious since day 1 of an event, so I am wondering what kind of info Inno would like to collect. Customers behaviour and readiness to spend money? Then it's a bad sign for everyone.

MooingCat

Viceroy
Spoiler Poster
Not sure what kawada is taking about, but for me personally the calendar is very poorly designed/balanced. Don't need to restate my reasoning from previous posts, but the fact it's not only practically impossible to complete for free, but also punishes players going for it by making the Grand Prizes harder to get ... it's frankly a joke, and the fact that no change has been made for years now is concerning. If it was simply impossible to get without hurting grand prizes ... I could live with it, but the way it is now (and has been for years) is terribly balanced and prays on the ignorance of players.

kawada

Marquis
Could you please tell me, what was unbalanced at the end?

Agreed with this point:
Not sure what kawada is taking about, but for me personally the calendar is very poorly designed/balanced. Don't need to restate my reasoning from previous posts, but the fact it's not only practically impossible to complete for free, but also punishes players going for it by making the Grand Prizes harder to get ... it's frankly a joke, and the fact that no change has been made for years now is concerning. If it was simply impossible to get without hurting grand prizes ... I could live with it, but the way it is now (and has been for years) is terribly balanced and prays on the ignorance of players.

In addition, daily prizes were quite questionable.
Olympic Treasury Selection Kit? At the winter event? really?
No Sentinel Outpost and Sleigh Builder?
The Elves' Workshop was just a joke

Also, I had a feeling that probability to get the daily prize was very low. At the beginning of event, daily prize would be almost always found at the very last gift box (except the shuffle one), then I was getting shuffles again and again after 3-4 open gifts with no daily prizes.

And of course fragments, fragments, fragments... 200 fragments for the nutcracker? no, thanx.

Owl II

Emperor
The game is littered with special buildings, but the developers have found the worst way to solve this problem. Fragments? Seriously? Guys, we have an AD now more valuable than events. He gives complete buildings, the same ones that you give away in the event in pieces.

I would come up with some new resource and distribute it only in events. This would restore the relevance of the events for at least some time without increasing the current parameters of the buildings (attack, FP). For example, completely rework guild levels after 100. Give it working boosts. Discount on the construction of GBG buildings. Some kind of bonus for lvl 5 GE. Implement the nerf of camps, but give a boost to reduce attrition. And would introduce a new resource for building levels after 100. Some kind gold-platinum crowns. Let the players chase the buildings that give these crowns in all events. It would enliven the game as a whole.

They can come up with a lot of interesting things. But no, they crumbled the old dreary buildings into fragments. Where the hell is the creative?

Kronan

Viceroy
The reasoning for all this is the same as driving a car...

At a stoplight, your car isn't moving and it takes a LOT of energy to get it going back up to highway speeds. @ 60 mph though, it' fairly steady state - your car sips a fraction of the cost of the fuel that it took to get it to 60 - to keep it there. It's the same with heat pump energy usage and design, or even EVs.

Inno is chronically targeting new players and catering to mining them as a base with products and design energy, because they SPEND money to accelerate their game, to get into the 60 MPH group we are ALL NOW IN as veteran players. New players don't want it to take years to get to where we are @ 60 mph, so they are very willing, and able to spend REAL MONEY (as they're not established with any diamonds, or at least very few...).

Once they get their city and game to 60 though (where most of us NOW are) - we (and they) don't need to spend as much or ANYTHING. Our cities are efficient, we've created (possibly) diamond farms, and can easily get diamonds in all the game venues - to pay our way. The city game engines need very little.

So it's real simple:

New players spend 1) more, 2) a lot 3) enough

and

Veteran players spend 1) less 2) little, 3) nothing.

Fix that - and ROBUST game innovation might be coaxed to begin again in earnest.

Right now, Inno is investing in the best places to fish for $$$ in the best section of game demographics - one that we all know yields the highest return. The novice community. Veteran players whine a lot, and don't spend at all, or nearly as much per-capita as a group of new players. We've arrived, and new players still think the game is "MEGA EXCITING"

And to prove my point, yes - we all grouse at starting a new city, but it's a LOT more exciting to do that even knowing how to play, then doing the same thing over and over and over again each day - as a veteran player. Not much you need to do in SAJM to keep your city rolling along @ 60 mph....

If Inno could figure out how to get us veteran players to spend, they would. They really would. But it's much more complex than getting new players to spend (which they liberally do). So that's the path that's most productive, and least resistant

Think about this strategically as a person that owns a business, NOT tactically as a player. It make abundant sense.

Last edited:

doughster

Merchant

At a stoplight, your car isn't moving and it takes a LOT of energy to get it going back up to highway speeds. @ 60 mph though, it' fairly steady state - your car sips a fraction of the cost of the fuel that it took to get it to 60 - to keep it there. It's the same with heat pump energy usage and design, or even EVs.

Inno is chronically targeting new players and catering to mining them as a base with products and design energy, because they SPEND money to accelerate their game, to get into the 60 MPH group we are ALL NOW IN as veteran players. New players don't want it to take years to get to where we are @ 60 mph, so they are very willing, and able to spend REAL MONEY (as they're not established with any diamonds, or at least very few...).

Once they get their city and game to 60 though (where most of us NOW are) - we (and they) don't need to spend as much or ANYTHING. Our cities are efficient, we've created (possibly) diamond farms, and can easily get diamonds in all the game venues - to pay our way. The city game engines need very little.

So it's real simple:

and

Fix that - and ROBUST game innovation might be coaxed to begin again in earnest.

Right now, Inno is investing in the best places to fish for $$$ in the best section of game demographics - one that we all know yields the highest return. The novice community. Veteran players whine a lot, and don't spend at all, or nearly as much per-capita as a group of new players. We've arrived, and new players still think the game is "MEGA EXCITING"

And to prove my point, yes - we all grouse at starting a new city, but it's a LOT more exciting to do that even knowing how to play, then doing the same thing over and over and over again each day - as a veteran player. Not much you need to do in SAJM to keep your city rolling along @ 60 mph....

If Inno could figure out how to get us veteran players to spend, they would. They really would. But it's much more complex than getting new players to spend (which they liberally do). So that's the path that's most productive, and least resistant

Think about this strategically as a person that owns a business, NOT tactically as a player. It make abundant sense.
IF Inno wants veteran players to pony up the dough, then they need to make the event bldgs more appealing! The last few event bldgs have been meh! to ugh! I look forward to the Winter Event bldg BUT if it is going to take more than 10-11k diamonds, then I'll pass. I buy and spend diamonds. I don't own diamond farms, only playing in one world.

I figure I won't last through 2023 if event bldgs continue to be uninviting and fragmentat;ion continues. As such, there are other gaming sites that are enticing me! :)

Owl II

Emperor

So it's real simple:

and

For the product manager: perhaps it would be fair if FOE was really an cityplanning game. A beginner came into the game, bought beautiful houses, sits, admires. But no, beautiful houses in FOE have no meaning without reference to the content. And we, the endgame players, are the ones who make the content in this game

Kronan

Viceroy
Let me say this: The fragmentation changes are bothersome because they're singularly affecting OLD GENERATION (original players, or recent players) vs new gamers. We're in an experienced position to COMPARE what we had, to what shifts they're now doing to the game.

No wonder we don't like them.

The strategic vision of FoE is transitioning to a new game and financial model. They're setting up the game for FUTURE players that won't experience or even know too much about the old way we did things, and the differences, or care.

All the stuff being implemented now is for future players
. We're in the transitional "no man's land".

Our pain is because we remember the way it was...and want it to go back to that. Many think it's the wrong direction for the game, but NOTHING is static. In truth - we matter not - it's really "all about the Benjamins"... (slang for $100 dollar US bills - or meaning $$$, or currency of your choice)

But it's NOT going back to "OLD FOE" - no way, no how. Video ads, Forge+, What to do with GbG, community assessment of "anemic" event offerings, etc. they are ALL RELATIVE to historical play in the "anabolic" growth era of the game that we participated in. There are more catabolic processes going on now, vs anabolic.

FOE Mega growth is over. It's kinda like the exodus facing FACEBOOK these days. What I hear is this (it's a classic deadly embrace)

1) Inno says: Veterans need spend money and from that, we can divert engineering resources to create NEW fantastic adventure content in the game
2) Community says: Inno, YOU create the content first, and we'll see if we like it an pay for it..

Who's gonna ask who to dance?

Probably time to go back to the topic's focus: Winter 2022 event analysis.

I LIKED THE WINTER EVENT!..

Owl II

Emperor
Let me say this: The fragmentation changes are bothersome because they're singularly affecting OLD GENERATION (original players, or recent players) vs new gamers. We're in an experienced position to COMPARE what we had, to what shifts they're now doing to the game.

No wonder we don't like them.

The strategic vision of FoE is transitioning to a new game and financial model. They're setting up the game for FUTURE players that won't experience or even know too much about the old way we did things, and the differences, or care.

All the stuff being implemented now is for future players
. We're in the transitional "no man's land".
The only effect that fragments have on the old generation is irritation that they clutter up the upper part of the inventory. I don't care if they give me 1 piece of junk in the event, or 5 times more. It's useless anyway. Beginners are another matter. They are beginners, but they do not play in a vacuum, and they will quickly be explained that cars are junk, and fragments of cars are also junk, there is just a lot of it in quantitative terms. And that in this game there are many sources in which you can get the same thing, but in a whole form, not fragmented. No, Inno can of course go further and crumble into fragments the rewards of GE, DC and so on. But it still won't force beginners to buy up feverishly trash in events. Because there is currently an overabundance of this trash in the game. And this garbage is not necessary for a successful game. It's all.

CrashBoom

Legend
in my opinion fragments are ok

but they should be at the right place:
daily special: never should be fragments !!!

they could put fragments on the table: for wishing wells, reno kits and other things. but not as daily special

fragments in the event pass for the new 2x2 building are also ok. you get more of them daily from the other new building

also no fragments in the grand prize. they could put the full building later and instead of the early fragments something small (FP, a few goods, ...)

and finally one word to the graveyard kit fragments:
I still have a not completed one in my inventory from last year (from toys there) and this years they were removed.
thats terrible. you can't stop giving fragments of things that you gave in the past. at least players should have the chance to complete it

Emberguard

Emperor
and finally one word to the graveyard kit fragments:
I still have a not completed one in my inventory from last year (from toys there) and this years they were removed.
thats terrible. you can't stop giving fragments of things that you gave in the past. at least players should have the chance to complete it
Especially given it's taking up space and we have to scroll past the fragments to get to everything else.