• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Winter Event 2022

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
As for live Winter event feedback:

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The ugly
The event pass is outrageously expensive. Standing with €15-18, it's the final nail in the coffin for me to not invest a penny in the game. If however the options where: pay 2-3k diamonds or pay €15-18, I would've been compelled to spend €50 on the browser, the €10 Apple taxes on the app are just too much, for an additional grand prize. Besides an assumed 7,5k+ diamonds saved from playing the game. Meaning the discouragement program for diamonds for cash is doing its job.
As the event is a gamble event, having fragments for rouge hideouts, is making them fairly weak. In particular as the hideout shrink kit, arguable a more valuable item, isn’t fragmented. While Forge ball for example feels exceptionally buffed. Another ugly effect of this is the reliance on luck to getting sufficient progress with candles. Those who claim "oh well but I did manage it easily" well good for you, you got lucky. Not everyone has luck and this shouldn't be a determination for any participant who've completed the event to getting the full grand prize or not. This makes the event even more weak.

The bad
The event quests are demanding a lot for starting players. Actually they're asking too much. As there where many buy X fps, this drain an inexperienced new player's coins rapidly to the point they can't participate in the event anymore. My advice is to always providing an alternative on this or just not having this quest type for events in ages below late Middle Ages or colonial age.
As mentioned before, luck is of a significant importance. For starters this will be frustrating. As this might be their first event and probably last as they might quit the game because of it. To complete the grand prize at my starter world, to test what new players may experience, I’ve almost had to invest a considerable amount of diamonds, though lucky the incidents and a couple of shuffles saves the day. Some guild members where less lucky to say the least. A new player does not enjoy this. As they’re more likely to making mistakes and are unaware of strategies to actually manage this event: save up currency, collect incidents and spend stars as late as possible so, you may get the additional candles lit up to have the best odds of getting enough upgrades. This event is very unforgiving if you don’t do this. On the App Store reviews of some frustrated new players who've quit the game over this, can be find. Already a couple of years old. I strongly suggest to reconsider this type of game design if Inno wants to continue to pray on new players. Or at the very least, paying attention to poor reviews on the App Store.

The good
The greatest and only good thing of this event, is the grand prize and the guardhouse. As the combination makes the building stands out and being worth a decant investment. However upping this by €15-18 feels overpriced. For a grand total of €65-68 are many better deals out there. Both irl as in other games, compared to this building. If it was €50, it felt okay-ish. As this P2W event pass has inflated the price by 30%, regardless of platform: browser €50 €65 app €60 €78. That been said, if the event price went up from 1.200 diamonds to 2.000-3.000, it would make little difference in costs but at least reward activity in the game by some discount. It would also not give the unnerving feeling that diamonds are losing functionality over directly payed features.

Overall
The event didn’t feel very enjoyable. Much rather like a daily grind and gamble: hoping for a decant daily and hoping somehow the free stars would be enough. In the end I’m happy with the grand prize but feel dissatisfied by the event. The main causes are the nature of the event being a loot box gamble mania. If the game mechanics where more enjoyable, I would’ve really liked this event. In which the grand prize would’ve felt amazing, sadly it’s not.
The 2nd part is the poor diamond deals, despite the 100% extra diamonds sale, as even during this sale the diamonds I can get are less compared to when I’ve started the game. For reference for €20 when I started playing FoE I got 2k diamonds, now even during the sale its more then €20 and less then 1,5k diamonds. I feel sorry for the devs and hope if this feedback is forwarded the main factors will mainly be forwarded. In particular the imho worsening diamonds for cash deals . As such bad deals don’t encourage the purchases to say the least, much rather the opposite. I hope this may change this year. Cause I would love to see the game getting better. Also in the premium deals. To see the game getting through another 10 yrs.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
As for live Winter event feedback:

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The ugly
The event pass is outrageously expensive. Standing with €15-18, it's the final nail in the coffin for me to not invest a penny in the game. If however the options where: pay 2-3k diamonds or pay €15-18, I would've been compelled to spend €50 on the browser, the €10 Apple taxes on the app are just too much, for an additional grand prize. Besides an assumed 7,5k+ diamonds saved from playing the game. Meaning the discouragement program for diamonds for cash is doing its job.
As the event is a gamble event, having fragments for rouge hideouts, is making them fairly weak. In particular as the hideout shrink kit, arguable a more valuable item, isn’t fragmented. While Forge ball for example feels exceptionally buffed. Another ugly effect of this is the reliance on luck to getting sufficient progress with candles. Those who claim "oh well but I did manage it easily" well good for you, you got lucky. Not everyone has luck and this shouldn't be a determination for any participant who've completed the event to getting the full grand prize or not. This makes the event even more weak.

The bad
The event quests are demanding a lot for starting players. Actually they're asking too much. As there where many buy X fps, this drain an inexperienced new player's coins rapidly to the point they can't participate in the event anymore. My advice is to always providing an alternative on this or just not having this quest type for events in ages below late Middle Ages or colonial age.
As mentioned before, luck is of a significant importance. For starters this will be frustrating. As this might be their first event and probably last as they might quit the game because of it. To complete the grand prize at my starter world, to test what new players may experience, I’ve almost had to invest a considerable amount of diamonds, though lucky the incidents and a couple of shuffles saves the day. Some guild members where less lucky to say the least. A new player does not enjoy this. As they’re more likely to making mistakes and are unaware of strategies to actually manage this event: save up currency, collect incidents and spend stars as late as possible so, you may get the additional candles lit up to have the best odds of getting enough upgrades. This event is very unforgiving if you don’t do this. On the App Store reviews of some frustrated new players who've quit the game over this, can be find. Already a couple of years old. I strongly suggest to reconsider this type of game design if Inno wants to continue to pray on new players. Or at the very least, paying attention to poor reviews on the App Store.

The good
The greatest and only good thing of this event, is the grand prize and the guardhouse. As the combination makes the building stands out and being worth a decant investment. However upping this by €15-18 feels overpriced. For a grand total of €65-68 are many better deals out there. Both irl as in other games, compared to this building. If it was €50, it felt okay-ish. As this P2W event pass has inflated the price by 30%, regardless of platform: browser €50 €65 app €60 €78. That been said, if the event price went up from 1.200 diamonds to 2.000-3.000, it would make little difference in costs but at least reward activity in the game by some discount. It would also not give the unnerving feeling that diamonds are losing functionality over directly payed features.

Overall
The event didn’t feel very enjoyable. Much rather like a daily grind and gamble: hoping for a decant daily and hoping somehow the free stars would be enough. In the end I’m happy with the grand prize but feel dissatisfied by the event. The main causes are the nature of the event being a loot box gamble mania. If the game mechanics where more enjoyable, I would’ve really liked this event. In which the grand prize would’ve felt amazing, sadly it’s not.
The 2nd part is the poor diamond deals, despite the 100% extra diamonds sale, as even during this sale the diamonds I can get are less compared to when I’ve started the game. For reference for €20 when I started playing FoE I got 2k diamonds, now even during the sale its more then €20 and less then 1,5k diamonds. I feel sorry for the devs and hope if this feedback is forwarded the main factors will mainly be forwarded. In particular the imho worsening diamonds for cash deals . As such bad deals don’t encourage the purchases to say the least, much rather the opposite. I hope this may change this year. Cause I would love to see the game getting better. Also in the premium deals. To see the game getting through another 10 yrs.
In addition I like to add the end event sale,

For €50 830 stars (browser) or €60 for the same amount for app (€10 Apple taxes are really pushing up the price), it's a far more superior deal for you're money, compared to diamonds for cash:

€50 = 4K diamonds or <400 stars / 40 chances (4x 1.050 = 4.200 diamonds)

€50/60 = 830 stars or 83 chances, more then double

I'm sure that if this deal was offered all event, it would've been far more populair as an option. I feel really bad for those who've bought diamonds in advance with a double 100% extra diamonds sale or any other sale. As I've said often before, diamond deals have become worse. If Inno wants to boosts income from diamond sales, they should greatly improve the deals, not worsening them (€20 = 2k diamonds was the offer when I've started playing, now €20 = 1,25k app or 1,8k during a sale).
Either way I think if there was an AB test, or the decision will be made to drop event currency for diamonds, in favour of currency for cash, the diamonds will lose all value beyond a few premium expansions. Personally I think it would be better for the devs to:

1.) review diamond deals and increase the diamonds offered by at least 150% (currently the deals are buffed by 100% and are still really poor)
2.) Giving both options: currency for diamonds & cash

kawada

Marquis
Honestly, I am tired of the Winter event. It’s unnecessarily long and, hence, full of useless daily rewards.
eventually it feels like some boring questline rather than another exciting event

Honestly, I am tired of the Winter event. It’s unnecessarily long and, hence, full of useless daily rewards.
eventually it feels like some boring questline rather than another exciting event
When were events exciting? I get the most enjoyment out of preparing for the Event then racing through the rush quests trying to beat my best time. After that, the rest is pretty much just a grind. Something completely different would be refreshing but I'm not holding my breath.

Emberguard

Emperor
For €50 830 stars (browser) or €60 for the same amount for app (€10 Apple taxes are really pushing up the price), it's a far more superior deal for you're money, compared to diamonds for cash:
. I feel really bad for those who've bought diamonds in advance with a double 100% extra diamonds sale or any other sale. As I've said often before, diamond deals have become worse.

Yeah. If you're going for mobile you'd really want the 200% bonus if possible.

For comparison on Desktop:
image.png
image.png

image.png

Desktop Values:
Diamonds Equivalent Bonus (closest to exact stars to match)Diamonds Equivalent Bonus (rounded to groups of 100 stars)
US $9.9995% (100 stars + 10 stars)75% (100 stars)
US $19.9998% (200 stars + 25x2 stars + 10 stars)50% (200 stars)
or 125% (300 stars)
US $49.9995% (800 stars + 25 stars + 10 stars)
or 92% (without the 10 stars)
86% (800 stars)
or 110% (900 stars)
US $99.9980% (2,400 stars)80% (2,400 stars)

Here's my Mobile Values, Would you say your conversion rates are about the same in regards to what % bonus you'd need to get the diamonds into the same ballpark range as the stars?

image.png

Mobile Values:
Diamonds Equivalent Bonus (closest to exact stars to match)Diamonds Equivalent Bonus (rounded to groups of 100 stars)
?? $9.99120.7% (100 stars + 10 stars)98% (100 stars)
?? $19.99122.4% (200 stars + 25x2 stars + 10 stars)68% (200 stars)
or 152% (300 stars)
?? $49.99120% (800 stars + 25 stars + 10 stars)
or 117% (without the 10 stars)
110% (800 stars)
or 136.25% (900 stars)
?? $99.9993.8% (2,400 stars)93.8% (2,400 stars)

*Note: The above table is only factoring in the different diamond values for getting the diamonds to match the stars value. It doesn't take into account the cost difference between Mobile and Desktop.

It would cost me an additional $x on Mobile compared to Desktop for each pack bought.

Last edited:

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
Yeah. If you're going for mobile you'd really want the 200% bonus if possible.

For comparison on Desktop:
image.png
image.png

image.png

Desktop Values:
US $9.9995% (100 stars + 10 stars)75% (100 stars)
US $19.9998% (200 stars + 25x2 stars + 10 stars)50% (200 stars)
or 125% (300 stars)
US $49.9995% (800 stars + 25 stars + 10 stars)
or 92% (without the 10 stars)
86% (800 stars)
or 110% (900 stars)
US $99.9980% (2,400 stars)80% (2,400 stars)

Here's my Mobile Values, Would you say your conversion rates are about the same in regards to what % bonus you'd need to get the diamonds into the same ballpark range as the stars?

image.png

Mobile Values:
?? $9.99120.7% (100 stars + 10 stars)98% (100 stars)
?? $19.99122.4% (200 stars + 25x2 stars + 10 stars)68% (200 stars)
or 152% (300 stars)
?? $49.99120% (800 stars + 25 stars + 10 stars)
or 117% (without the 10 stars)
110% (800 stars)
or 136.25% (900 stars)
?? $99.9993.8% (2,400 stars)93.8% (2,400 stars)

*Note: The above table is only factoring in the different diamond values for getting the diamonds to match the stars value. It doesn't take into account the cost difference between Mobile and Desktop.

It would cost me an additional $x on Mobile compared to Desktop for each pack bought.
$50 = 4.500 diamonds / 1.050 diamonds = 4,28x a purchase of 1.050 diamonds for stars, or 4x 100 stars = 400 stars
$50 = 830 stars

830 stars / 400 stars = 2,075 so, 207,5% more stars for $50 package with direct cash purchases.
The other way around 400 stars / 830 stars = 0,48+ or ~52% less stars for $50 when bought with diamonds for cash.

Not sure how we're getting such different outcomes unless US servers have cheaper stars for diamonds deals. In NL server a package of 100 stars costs 1.050 diamonds each. Which is relatively the cheapest option available for diamonds for stars.

Emberguard

Emperor
Not sure how we're getting such different outcomes unless US servers have cheaper stars for diamonds deals.
My screenshot was EN server, but I get the same rates when checking other servers as well

$50 = 4.500 diamonds / 1.050 diamonds = 4,28x a purchase of 1.050 diamonds for stars, or 4x 100 stars = 400 stars
$50 = 830 stars

830 stars / 400 stars = 2,075 so, 207,5% more stars for $50 package with direct cash purchases.
The other way around 400 stars / 830 stars = 0,48+ or ~52% less stars for $50 when bought with diamonds for cash.

Your math looks good. But we're calculating for two entirely different things.

Your math shows the amount of Stars compared to the base value of Diamonds.

I'm calculating Princely Gift bonus required to get the Diamonds to match the Stars bundle

In NL server a package of 100 stars costs 1.050 diamonds each.

That is the same as my server too:

image.png

The 4,500 Diamonds cost $50. The $50 deal in stars provide 830 stars. So we start on 800 stars, requiring 8 purchases of 100

8 x 1,050 = 8,400 Diamonds required

((8,400 - 4,500) / 4,500) x 100 = 86.66% boost on the $50 Diamond pack needed to buy 8 packs of stars, if we want to match what the Cash bundle of Stars is offering

Checking the princely bonus: (4,500/100)86.66) + 4,500 = 8,399.7 diamonds if you have a 86%-ish deal

830 stars closest approximate purchases would be either (100x8) + 25 + 10, or just (100x8) + 25 which then changes it to 92-96% bonus offer needed from the Princely Gift deal

Last edited:

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
@Emberguard thanks for the explanation, though I've been calculating from a more RL point of view, if one has a strict budget of €50/$50 and can only purchase once a package of those costs, they'll better off not going for the diamonds. Cause it'll give them app. 52% less stars in return.

From my understanding according to you're math strictly seeking the same results, regardless of costs in cash:

8x 1.050 diamonds = 8.400 diamonds
8.400 diamonds / 4.500 diamonds = 1,87x a €/$50 needed. Practically you'll be going for a €/$100 package for diamonds then. That will give:
14.000 diamonds / 1.050 = 13,33 x 100 stars or rounded down 1.300 stars
For €/$100 a whopping 2.400 stars could've bought directly. As you've said roughly 84% more stars for €/$100.

All this math does prove are the insanely unfavourable economics regarding diamonds for cash. Ranging from 84-200%+ more stars for cash over diamonds.

To me this event was no different to any other event. I knew it would be boring before it started and it proved me right. Also despite all the hype about how best to play it and the worthlessness or otherwise of the bonus bits. I plodded through it playing the daily quests as they came (as I do in every event) and as usual without any extra effort or expense on my part, I did not go for the calendar or the other boxes as I could not raise enough enthusiasm to try for them. I did the same in my SAJM world, my diamond farm (FE) and an Iron age world. Noticed no difference in any of them. I ended up with a free fully upgraded main building in all 3 worlds. I have no doubt the next event will be the just the same with its own paint job which is supposed to make us feel it is new and exciting.

Sl8yer

Regent
My screenshot was EN server, but I get the same rates when checking other servers as well

Rates you get do not depend on the server you are on, but on the country you are from. You get them in USD, I get them in Euros, even on the US server.

Where you are paying 99,99 USD I have to pay 99,99 Euro. Since the current rate is 1.00000 USD = 0.93600EUR I am paying more for the same package.

Astrid

Baronet
The event was a great hit. While I criticized Inno a lot in the past I admit that they nailed it with this event. Plenty of players and guild mates bought the premium pass and built 3 or more Ketebo Candy. I went the same path, bought the premium pass and then, with an average of ~8500 / building I added to my city 4 Ketebo Candy and they were real cheap. I have 3 secondary cities and in about 4 months I will get back all the diamonds that I've spent.