• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

mbk28

Baronet
Don’t like this, I’m not a warrior and hate this.
this is finish for me and will not make it on my worlds, except it I can build without fight

kaymedic

Marquis
So the royal Bathhouse stats were increased to 12FP and 10 units every day. FP still seems a little bit unbalanced compared to the shinto tempel. And 10 random units is still not useful for end game players. But I like that inno is willing to change that. But I am missing some att or def stats from this fighting settlement.

Umbrathor

Baronet
and by far not all players are end game players, for a lot of smaller players this will be a usefull building
Beginning players will not be beginning players anymore by the time they get the building up to its maximum level. It starts giving units earlier on, of course, but frankly I am seldom at a loss for regular units when starting a new world (which is comparable to a new player). You only start needing them in Iron Age, spearmen are still ideal until early Iron age, being cheap and incredibly fast to make. Archers and soldiers are available as regular units early on, in most ages, so you seldom need those as unattached units. It is mostly artillery I look for, and rogues. If the building had a chance of also supplying unattached rogues or unattached units of the type of settlement you are currently playing, that would make it a lot more interesting. Especially in view of the higher cost and yraining time for fast and heavy egyptian units.

Umbrathor

Baronet
[..] Going to try the medium [difficulty fight] at least with a few nubian archers that can at least outrange the camels (and maybe hide - not putting a lot of faith in that - there doesn't seem to be too many bushes) and some camel archers of my own - hadn't tried the nubians yet last run.
The trick I use is surrender and restart the battle until I get enough bushes close that can be reached in at most two rounds, so the artillery cannot be hit by ranged attacks.

kaymedic

Marquis
and by far not all players are end game players, for a lot of smaller players this will be a usefull building

I am just quoting to this:

Thanks for all the comments so far!

I simply wanted to reply to the perceived difficulty of Egypt and the frustration some of you might feel:
First off, Egypt was supposed to be the most difficult settlement as a playground for those who seek a tough challenge. In Ancient Egypt you will have to use your resources even more carefully, use your impediment removals wisely (or "puzzle" your buildings effectively around the given grid) and fight battles in a way that your losses are kept low.

Feudal Japan has been introduced as a Cultural Settlement with less effort and for everyone who enjoys negotiations while Ancient Egypt is meant to be a counter part to this, making battles mandatory to complete the settlement. Especially since battles have been requested a lot since the very beginning of the Cultural Settlements feature.

Please rest assured that we internally playtested Ancient Egypt several times to make sure that it is possible to beat it with a similar daily investment of time / activity as Vikings or Japan.

Extra Hint: You are not required to try to beat all three battles from the beginning on. I recommend to do the easy + medium battles once you got the War Chariots, and go for all three battles once you got the Elephants.

So the idea behind the ancient egypt was to have a challenging settlement for experienced players. And these players do not need 10 random unit as much as a new player would definitly need.

Umbrathor

Baronet
The long building and training time and higher cost for the chariot riders and probably the war elephants make little sense to me. The units are no better than the other unit types, other than haing bonuses against certain unit types. They go down in a flash if you are not careful, and replacing them is a pain compared to the cheaper unit types. I do not see what making them harder to get adds to the game. In view of the fact that we are on a deadline to win as many fights a possibe - I have three factories running right now - the long training time and cost become a problem.

Umbrathor

Baronet
Suggestion: add extra loot fights as one progresses through the settlement (maybe that is already the case, we are all just starting it). I am already stretching to keep three factories running. I think it unlikely I can keep four factories going, even if I were to have the space for them.

So far (I'm now on quest 10) I really like this Ancient Egypt settlement ! Finally one I can do battles with, GREAT ! So happy.
I've created a screenshot : this is now my Egypt settlement so far(see below) . I've bought now 10 expansions (5 x with Barley, 5 x with Pottery) and used my 2 axes to removed 2 impediments after I maked a draw on a piece of paper (with squares) to plan my settlement before starting re-arrange it.

At the very start I was taking a look to everything first (but forgot most of it too fast lol) and I forgot to check the drop down menu when hovering mouse of cult goods to discover that's the ONLY way to see how much "Loot" I've on the current moment ! Maybe this can be a bit more "crystal clear" ? Or let us "see" how much loot is left when we plan to start a production of cult. goods?

The color of the roads are so bright that I've problems to see them. That's not a problem as long as I've not to do things (see them fine, especially by zooming in), but is a bit annoying to find them when I wish to replace them. Also the numbers of cult goods needed to unlock next advancements is (again!) back very unclear because of the colors, althought it's better than by the Vikings, where it is for me a pain to see them (but asked and complained about it more than once in the past here on beta forum).
The time for recruiting units is a bit long, also the building time for barracks ... make them 1 hour less or so, that would be already very nice !
I believe that the easy and normal battles are for sure doable having light and ranged units only at the start. I just did a normal battle and did not loose any unit at all (almost, but placed that units to the back) ... but at the very first start I lost way more units just because I was so stupid to NOT first look into the units skills etc ! So very worth doing that !! It makes a BIG difference trying to kill a heavy with a ranged unit or trying to kill it with a light unit !!

Suggestion :
1) What I like to see is a nice re-name of "Daily Bonus" ! Nnames like "Place of Worship" or "Palace of .. " "Egyptian Company" or ... "Egypt Temple" or ...
2) Would be great if this "daily bonus" go up with every step you go up on the advancement tree ! Something like a level up as with an event building going from L1 till L7 (13 advancements, so every 2nd one 1 level more give level 7 at the end.
Just a "example" to give you an idea what I mean to explain :
L1 (start) give 600 Deben (like it currently is)
L2 give 800 Deben + 1 random unit if you've a barrack on your settlement (system Alcatraz)
L3 give 800 Deben + 1 random unit + 5 random Cultural goods
L4 give 1000 Deben + 2 random units + 5 random Cultural goods
L5 give 1000 Deben + 2 random units + 5 random Cult. Goods + 50 Loot
L6 give 1200 Deben + 3 random units + 10 random Cult. Goods + 50 Loot
L7 give 1200 Deben + 5 random units + 10 random Cult. Goods + 150 LootAncient Egypt2.jpg

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
The long building and training time and higher cost for the chariot riders and probably the war elephants make little sense to me. The units are no better than the other unit types, other than haing bonuses against certain unit types. They go down in a flash if you are not careful, and replacing them is a pain compared to the cheaper unit types. I do not see what making them harder to get adds to the game. In view of the fact that we are on a deadline to win as many fights a possibe - I have three factories running right now - the long training time and cost become a problem.

By the time you get to them you can have the space and coins to have a second barracks of that type to effectively double their training throughput and bring it similar to the first units. You can also have decent coin production by then.

It does set them as a bit of a luxury unit though; though a luxury I'd really like to have for some of the hard fights.

Umbrathor

Baronet
the idea behind the ancient egypt was to have a challenging settlement for experienced players.
It does indeed feel harder, though admittedly we are still beginners for this settlement. Still, it might be an idea to add 'advanced settlement' to the settlement selection menu where you select either Vikings, Japan or Egypt.

Sorry that I am too lazy to read all the pages, but I'd like to hear if there is some consensus as to which military buildings to build and how many of them? Do you feel some units are more useful than others? Or do you feel all barracks have to be built?

Luke Stark

Marquis
I am just quoting to this:

So the idea behind the ancient egypt was to have a challenging settlement for experienced players. And these players do not need 10 random unit as much as a new player would definitly need.

well I'm in LMA here and I do not see it as a huge challange to play Egypt...honestly it is bit challenging but that just fun, I'm still doing vikings on live server but only because I need that damn tree to be max out not cause its interesting, challenging or fun....its really boring...

so if I finish lvl 6 royal bath in LMA that gives me a really nice, powerful building...but thats just my opinion :]

Sorry that I am too lazy to read all the pages, but I'd like to hear if there is some consensus as to which military buildings to build and how many of them? Do you feel some units are more useful than others? Or do you feel all barracks have to be built?
I think it's best to start with just 1 barrack of each maximum. At first I tried to go for 2 light unit barracks plus ranged and artillery .. but no place and no population left for any other kind of building than houses...

LastWarrior

Regent
Maybe an increase to the guild goods.
A nice upgrade to the bathhouse thank you, we just need a pickaxe every 2nd quest and we should be able to manage without requesting anything else thanks.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

Most units are worthwhile against what they have bonus. Generally it takes 3-4 shots to kill something that has bonus against you or 2 shots to kill something you have bonus again.

At the start of the first run (before reset) I did 2 training camps because my first day hard was a bunch of elephants and chariots which the khopesh fighters are excellent against. As such I tried 8 khopesh fighters against a lot of things - and mostly they're efficient as long as there's not *too many* nubians/camels (they can handle a couple - especially when taking advantage of swarm). I added a camel barracks later which was a decent mix with them for a lot of things. The khopesh could act as distractions and the camels could pitch in enough damage against things they were weak against while helping with the things khopesh were weak against (camels+nubians).

Second run I started with a nubian archer barracks and a camel barracks, partly because I hadn't tried nubian archers yet, and partly because i was being presented with a whole lot of camels to fight on the first day. I then added a training camp later.

Camels are perhaps the biggest problem unit at the start as you have neither of the units that are strong against them. You can try to use nubian archers to kill them without eating contact but also not killing them very fast (i haven't tried the resetting the fight strategy someone else espoused - my experience is there's never enough bushes to hide from them) or you can try to use your own camels. The general strategy is to try and outnumber them with your own camels/nubians, and handle the rest of the wave either first (chariots) or last (khopesh fighters, elephants, nubian archers) trying to segment the fight into two minifights where you have the numbers advantage in both (since often not unit matchup advantages). It's harder to do this for the hard though as you often wind up with very bloody wins, and a bunch of wounded units are often a risky matchup for wave 2 - especially when it has more camels.

I've been running one of each of the first 3 barracks so far this second run. Haven't needed to use the khopesh fighters yet really but that's just the luck of the draw in terms of what fights I've been given. Had to give up another hard today because it was camels+nubians followed by more camels. I could win the first wave, but not clean enough to want to attempt the 2nd. I've got a lot of spare loot atm though so went with a 3rd goods building rather than a chariot barracks for now.

I think 1 full barracks of each type should have you in a pretty good spot overall. I haven't decided yet if any particular troop types are worth omitting. Chariots do fill a gap when you can find a space for them as a troop that can kill Camels fast. Elephants I'm not sure about - they haven't impressed me much as a defensive troop yet. I'm also unsure if there's a specific 2-barracks setup for the start that handles all mediums and some hards; for the moment I'd recommend selecting your first 2 barracks based on what works for your first day's medium (and maybe hard) fight.

Last edited: