• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Winter Event 2017

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

HannahMecoe

Merchant
Unless I'm misunderstanding something it's the same 24 hour cycle for the quest so how does this really prevent missing stars? I mean if you miss collecting a day from your Town Hall and you miss a day to collect from the questgiver what's the difference?
As I understand it, the quests queue up, so if you miss a day, it's still waiting for you when you come back (with later quests lined up behind it).

DeletedUser8341

You get 10 stars from an immediately collectible quest each day instead of 10 from each town hall collection. This avoids a few issues:
- people collecting their town hall right before the event starts, and then "missing out" on a collection
- popup happening while you're doing your collections
- town hall producing stars not being listed in the townhall production tooltip
- people who haven't unlocked the event yet (early game) getting confused about what the stars are for
Either you are mistaken, or there is a bug in the in-game information, or I am misunderstanding how these 10 stars come from the Town Hall:
63450163-647C-437A-8783-28F05352FAC9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8341

With all of these Winter buildings, it’s sad that the 2nd day’s ‘special’ isn’t even one of them.

How often will each building be featured?

DeletedUser

You get 10 stars from an immediately collectible quest each day instead of 10 from each town hall collection. This avoids a few issues:
- people collecting their town hall right before the event starts, and then "missing out" on a collection
- popup happening while you're doing your collections
- town hall producing stars not being listed in the townhall production tooltip
- people who haven't unlocked the event yet (early game) getting confused about what the stars are for
and they also stack ?

so between all quests there will be those 10 stars when somebody makes it later ?

Frankiedk

Squire
6 attempts yesterday, no main prize, 25 attempts to get a HoF today, cost 1.400 diamonds, no main prize. Thanks for letting me know not to spend more time on this event. And diamonds are as expected not worth using.
Another set, doesn't ring MY bell, besides, except a ton of happiness, its, compared to the complete footprint, not worth it. And with my luck i guess it would require a couple million Diamonds.

BUT, thank you for NOT giving 10 stars from the main building, but from the event window.

DeletedUser7942

As I understand it, the quests queue up, so if you miss a day, it's still waiting for you when you come back (with later quests lined up behind it).
I know the event quests would stack but do we know if the stars quest does? So if someone doesn't collect the free stars quest for three days they can collect 30 stars?

HannahMecoe

Merchant
I know the event quests would stack but do we know if the stars quest does? So if someone doesn't collect the free stars quest for three days they can collect 30 stars?
Duh... sorry, I typed in a hurry... I mean the process of accessing each quest has the 10 free stars at the beginning. So if you miss one or more, the sequence will be: 10 free stars, then a quest, then 10 free stars, then the next quest, and so on. So if you complete all the quests, you will have received all of the free stars too.

But then, maybe I've misunderstood it.

DeletedUser7942

And with my luck...
No such thing as luck. It's simple statistics as always. It's just a really low chance to get the one daily prize and it's always an equal chance to hit the shuffle as it is to hit the daily prize which makes it even more difficult because it resets the board. Although hitting the "Show Two" is as likely but that only helps a small percentage.

Just think of it in terms of failing. Say for instance something like that carnival game where you throw a little ball and it bounces around to land in a cup except in this instance you're blindfolded but are guaranteed to at least get it in a cup. There are 18 white cups and 1 red cup. You have a 94% chance it will not go in the red cup. Even if there were only 3 white cups and 1 red cup you still have a 75% chance to fail. Even if there were only 2 cups and one is the shuffle now you have a 50% chance to fail and reset back to 18 cups, ugh.

1 in(rounded):
18 6% (94% fail)
17 6%
16 6%
15 7% (93% fail)
14 7%
13 8% (92% fail)
12 8%
11 9% (91%)
10 10% (90% fail)
9 11% (89% fail)
8 13% (87% fail)
7 14% (86% fail)
6 17% (83% fail)
5 20% (80% fail)
4 25% (75% fail)
3 33% (67% fail)
2 50% (50% fail)

HannahMecoe

Merchant
No such thing as luck. It's simple statistics as always. It's just a really low chance to get the one daily prize and it's always an equal chance to hit the shuffle as it is to hit the daily prize which makes it even more difficult because it resets the board. Although hitting the "Show Two" is as likely but that only helps a small percentage.

<respectful snip>

I have been told, by those with very good eyesight and/or hand-eye coordination, that it's possible to increase the probablity of selecting something good by tracking it as it flips around the field, then noting what kind of paper it gets wrapped in, then tracking that particular parcel, or at least parcels with that particular wrapping. No way can I do that, so it's statistics for me too.

DeletedUser7942

I have been told, by those with very good eyesight and/or hand-eye coordination, that it's possible to increase the probablity of selecting something good by tracking it as it flips around the field, then noting what kind of paper it gets wrapped in, then tracking that particular parcel, or at least parcels with that particular wrapping. No way can I do that, so it's statistics for me too.
Yeah I'll stick with stats, reading the tea leaves just aint my thang:p

DeletedUser8150

My best sollution so far:
d3Xw.png

11FP + 8% attack + 32 goods + coins, supplies, medals and happines by player age.
14x4 space (SoK could give 14FP for same space. 2x terrace farm give 12FP for +4 space)
roads top and bottom i presume?

DeletedUser8053

Disappointed to be back to daily quests; I like to be able to complete them on my own timescale, not restricted by what day we've got too.

Also, really think you need more than 1 set building per grid; you have to PUSH for the 1 'top prize' as people above have commented, and spending the stars for the small buildings, when you're going to need so many more of them to get a reasonable set, just doesn't seem worth it

getting 10 stars from a quest instead of town hall - great change, big thumbs up!

having a set that doesn't have one fixed layout but multiple options - also great

Not knowing how often each piece will be available as the daily prize I can't work out the exact % chance of getting the full set without diamonds, but I'd be surprised if it was better than 1% with the winter prize mechanic working the way it does.
While I'm happy enough to give it a go in beta (we are here for testing purposes after all), I'm afraid the odds are just too low for me to be spending stars on going for the pieces on the live servers. So big thumbs down for that aspect.
Having 2 copies of the main prize on offer whenever it's a part of the set instead of just one would be enough to boost the chances sufficiently for the attempt to get the set to be worth making.

DeletedUser4381

The visual shuffle has nothing to with final position... When it was mentioned a few years ago I was curious, so I set up a high-speed camera at work to record my screen at 60fps during the shuffle. I frame-advanced the replay until the items were replaced with presents, and out of 6 selections before I landed on shuffle I had one match. Repeating the process gave no significant accuracy, so I'd say it was just luck for the few that hit the expected prize.

DeletedUser7529

Just think of it in terms of failing. Say for instance something like that carnival game where you throw a little ball and it bounces around to land in a cup except in this instance you're blindfolded but are guaranteed to at least get it in a cup. There are 18 white cups and 1 red cup. You have a 94% chance it will not go in the red cup. Even if there were only 3 white cups and 1 red cup you still have a 75% chance to fail. Even if there were only 2 cups and one is the shuffle now you have a 50% chance to fail and reset back to 18 cups, ugh.

Yea, last year I spent 500 stars (50 attempts) and failed to get daily special I was going for - 5 or 6 times got shuffle before I managed to find daily special...
Buying stars for diamonds in this event is definitelly not a good idea.

New set seems nice - in theory you can choose boosts you want to get by building selected set items. But in practice it is very likely you wont find any item from new set, hitting more than 1 daily special will need huge luck.

DeletedUser8341

I am struggling to see the value of these buildings, given the effort to obtain them.

It would seem that each building is going to be featured just 2, maybe 3 times during the Event? At around 20 Stars per day (10 free and 10 or so per quest) that gives a 1/9 chance to get the day’s building. This averages to a 1/3 chance to get any particular Winter Village building, unless one spends diamonds, which don’t increase the chance much unless you are prepared to throw silly money at the Event.

Then, what do the buildings do, once you have them? Already, the layout fanatics are examining what they could achieve even with the most optimal buidling selection, which almost all players will not be able to get, and finding the Winter Village lacking in comparison to other buildings more readily obtained through GE and historical quests.

To resolve the issue of which buildings a player might get, I propose doubling the number available under the presents. That way, a standard player stands a more than even chance of getting one.

To resolve the issue of the poor value in comparison to other buildings, I suggest that NONE of them require a road (the three ‘residential’ buidlings provide or use no people). That makes comparison with other buildings much harder, since it depends on city layout, and means that the lack of road makes comparisions more equitable.

I note that no building gives or uses population. Does this mean they all auto-upgrade? That would make a big difference for those players in the earlier ages.