• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Unique Antiques Dealer Rewards

Feanor II

Baronet
Love the introduction of the Art Exhibition; I've got 1300 gems stockpiled and nothing to do with them so now I will. Thank you!

DeletedUser8887

The new items look good but this won't make much difference to me. Gems are too hard to get and there are already too many items in the rotation of goods available.

IMO - the value of the AD to a player depends on how long they have been playing. The longer you've played, the more items you have to trade so the more coins and gems you can get. I've been playing a couple of years and have less than 100 gems in stock. Most of the items have no gem value and I want most of the ones that do have gem value.

DeletedUser10265

The SoK is not too powerful
It is now.

doing the viking to get more greater rhinestone is utterly pointless
That's why they should boost the GR, make the vikings easier, or whatever, but not make it even more pointless to redo vikings.
They should encourage us to keep doing the settlements and the rewards for all should be juicy enough to make doing them worth the effort.

if repeating Settlements it would be much better to do Japanese as dojo also provides a unit and is almost as efficient at FP production and completing the settlement is so much easier.
All that means that there is no balance between vikings and japans settlemnets. They should fix it, not make things worse.

It will also be expensive to upgrade all SoK and that keeps it balanced because we won't able to fill our cities with them overnight.
Not overnight, but in a few weeks or 2-3 months at most, you should be able to. Keep in mind that you needed to do a few events to collect e.g. 40 SoKs. It means that there is no balance.

Given how underpowered SoK had become
They haven't become underpowered. SoKs are still the basic FP-production building on a mass scale. The other one is terrace farms. They were balanced, because TF had slightly less FP output per tile, could be plundered, but didn't need to be motivated. The recent cider mill upgrade didn't ruin the balance, because it is hard to get e.g. 10 maxed cider mills. The Dark Doorway changed it a bit, but just a bit. Now the SoK upgrade ruins everything.

making them very slightly overpowered isn't really a problem.
It is.

The trend of last years event buildings being so good is only like to continue and if this change hadn't been made SoK would have fallen even further behind.
Maybe that's a wrong trend? Or maybe the SoK lvl 2 should be bigger, e.g. 2x3 or 3x2? It wouldn't be so much overpowered then.

Yes it makes Terrace Farms even less desirable, but the solution to that is to get rid if the Terrace Farms as soon as you can, that's what I'm doing and it is no great loss, they are still useful buildings.
I'd rather get rid of SoKs as soon as I can to limit the aids I need to get. TFs were OK, they could be slowly replaced by other special and event buildings as your city grows. But now The SoK will be way too good to get rid of them

Awesome development.
Horrible development.

edit:
One more thing. The old SoK was also balanced with old event buildings, e.g. Pillar of Heroes, Tholos of Idols or Grand Bridge. These buildings were slightly better, as the FP output was slightly higher and they provided some additional bonuses like happiness or a few goods. They also required less aids per FP, but were relatively hard to get - you had to buy them at AD. But it made sense for developed cities to replace e.g. 4 SoKs with one tholos. The balance is ruined now, because lvl 2 SoKs have higher output than these buildings. Inno gave us the AD, which was nice in July as you could buy many good things, now most of those become crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

Emperor
I'd rather get rid of SoKs as soon as I can to limit the aids I need to get. TFs were OK, they could be slowly replaced by other special and event buildings as your city grows. But now The SoK will be way too good to get rid of them
there’s a limit to how many motivations a city gets. That’s what’ll limit your SoK upgrade power.

As to redoing Vikings - how many here are/were redoing Vikings for the greater runestone prior to this update? Or are players actually doing one complete run through to get the main building and then going onto the next settlement?

I agree if it’s too easy to get we might as well go for SoK lvl 2. However that’s assuming it’s within price range to just go upgrading a bunch of SoKs.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
The Art Exhibition is a bit of a wow. I do kinda wonder if this is a final ploy to add something really good to the antique dealer, and then leave the feature to rot rather than the continual updating some people are expecting. i.e. what happened to Daily Challenges that people assumed would get new better stuff eventually but the only thing I remember being added is fragments which were new, but not really better.

DeletedUser10172

Felec.

The SoK were only useful to those of us that had lots of space and no better buildings to place. Now they are useful to everyone again and desirable. It got to the point I was never building them.

This is a good improvement, there is no way it is overpowered. The greater runestone has been available for a year now, in that time you could have won no more than 10 unless you were prepared to spend a stupid amount of diamonds.

What makes this a good move is the cost/benefit ratio of it only being available from AD. You have to sacrifice something else you may want to buy further down the line. I personally like to get Cherry gardens from AD, if I decide I want Lvl 2 SoK too then something has to give, either I wait longer for Cherry Garden pieces or SoK upgrade.

I've managed to get 9 fully upgraded Cider Mills, do I keep trying to get these or do I go for SoK. This choice will be the same for nearly every player, by now most of us will have sold all the valuable items and be slowly accumulating more to sell from one of the many, but unpredictable sources.

So is the SoK OP. No, because the cost, not of gems alone, is significant. Just as the cost of obtaining Greater Runestones after the initial 15 playthroughs, is way too much for most players to even consider (time, not finishing japanese, it being utterly stupid). Having lots of SoK in your city comes at a cost of not having the most efficient layout, have a look around and see how many players have placed their 40+ SoK without it being awkward and irregular, I haven't seen one yet.

It's a very efficient building but it has so many aspects in its acquisition, placement, cost and availability that keep it from being properly OP. There is no way it will be coming up every day, there is no way to get Gems besides selling valuable items and we all have limited access to those if we aren't spending diamonds constantly and if someone wants to do that, they can sail that ship, but I won't be a crew mate for that voyage.

DeletedUser10172

The Art Exhibition is a bit of a wow. I do kinda wonder if this is a final ploy to add something really good to the antique dealer, and then leave the feature to rot rather than the continual updating some people are expecting. i.e. what happened to Daily Challenges that people assumed would get new better stuff eventually but the only thing I remember being added is fragments which were new, but not really better.
Where does this idea come from? I figured that as they were planning AD, they didn't need to make changes to Daily Challenges. That was introduced to try and add balance for mobile players who couldn't take part in the Treasure hunt. Who cares if they don't update DC, that would only reduce the chances of pre existing desirable items being available.

AD has been updated with items several times since release. I don't see why that trend would stop and even if it did, do you seriously think people would stop using the resource? Surely not. To be honest Inno releasing AD was a huge deal in the history of this game. 90% of valuable buildings could only be won on a random basis, now we can streamline our cities easier and faster and without relying on events or GE.

Now GE, that could do with an overhaul, although for those in the earlier eras it is still one of the best things you can do to improve your city, so not a priority.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Where does this idea come from? I figured that as they were planning AD, they didn't need to make changes to Daily Challenges. That was introduced to try and add balance for mobile players who couldn't take part in the Treasure hunt. Who cares if they don't update DC, that would only reduce the chances of pre existing desirable items being available.

AD has been updated with items several times since release. I don't see why that trend would stop and even if it did, do you seriously think people would stop using the resource? Surely not. To be honest Inno releasing AD was a huge deal in the history of this game. 90% of valuable buildings could only be won on a random basis, now we can streamline our cities easier and faster and without relying on events or GE.

Now GE, that could do with an overhaul, although for those in the earlier eras it is still one of the best things you can do to improve your city, so not a priority.

Well mostly I've found the antique dealer to be not that useful so far. I've fed it with all kinds of junk but bought very little from it (sleigh builders when they show up once every two weeks or something like that, 2 pillar upgrades in one of my cities that had been running a level 5 pillar). The new items will at least give some chase aspects to it though. If I had to guess, the additions are not because the antique dealer is wildly successful - rather the opposite where they feel they need to add a bigger carrot to it to make people actually use it.

As for updated several times, I wasn't aware of such - but I quit for a while just as antique dealer was hitting beta. And returned just for the hallowe'en event on live in preparation for GBG which was a feature I'd intended to return to try out. In short though that means it hasn't really been out that long at all (3 months or so), and any adjustments so far could just be viewed as tuning a feature considered new and not having the impact they hoped for still (similar to the overhauled OP ygg tree just before the second settlement was released).

When daily challenges came out they too gave an alternate route to get stuff that had thusfar only been available in specific events and the potential rewards represented a fairly near to peak level of power at the time (having prizes from less than a year earlier at the time). Arguably much closer than antique dealer was at its release. Seeing as it had fairly recent event rewards, people did kindof expect that within a year there might be new chests representing more recent event rewards. Those updates never came. And by now I imagine most longtime players ignore daily challenges (though they'd still be of significant value to newer players).

They were not just a replacement for treasure hunt for mobile players. The combination of incidents, challenges, and people not using treasure hunt all that much anyways (and it not being on mobile) while the features served the same sort of role of something to encourage multiple logins a day led to the retirement of treasure hunt however.

This is a general pattern with features inno develops (GE as others have mentioned has prizes that really only feel like antique dealer fodder by now) - it seems very appealing at first. It might get updated for a little while. Then eventually it gets left to be what it is for a prolonged period while they work on the next new feature until it either gets overhauled or scrapped. There is *zero* reason to believe the antique dealer will be any different in this trend in the long run. Adding these two new buildings to it will add some excitement into it that it's been missing. People will be satisfied with it and stop asking when ____ will be added to it (because the art exhibition is better than ____). And a year from now it'll be another feature most people ignore because events will have power-creeped further and the antique dealer's rewards won't be that special.

DeletedUser10172

Well mostly I've found the antique dealer to be not that useful so far. I've fed it with all kinds of junk but bought very little from it (sleigh builders when they show up once every two weeks or something like that, 2 pillar upgrades in one of my cities that had been running a level 5 pillar). The new items will at least give some chase aspects to it though. If I had to guess, the additions are not because the antique dealer is wildly successful - rather the opposite where they feel they need to add a bigger carrot to it to make people actually use it.

As for updated several times, I wasn't aware of such - but I quit for a while just as antique dealer was hitting beta. And returned just for the hallowe'en event on live in preparation for GBG which was a feature I'd intended to return to try out. In short though that means it hasn't really been out that long at all (3 months or so), and any adjustments so far could just be viewed as tuning a feature considered new and not having the impact they hoped for still (similar to the overhauled OP ygg tree just before the second settlement was released).

When daily challenges came out they too gave an alternate route to get stuff that had thusfar only been available in specific events and the potential rewards represented a fairly near to peak level of power at the time (having prizes from less than a year earlier at the time). Arguably much closer than antique dealer was at its release. Seeing as it had fairly recent event rewards, people did kindof expect that within a year there might be new chests representing more recent event rewards. Those updates never came. And by now I imagine most longtime players ignore daily challenges (though they'd still be of significant value to newer players).

They were not just a replacement for treasure hunt for mobile players. The combination of incidents, challenges, and people not using treasure hunt all that much anyways (and it not being on mobile) while the features served the same sort of role of something to encourage multiple logins a day led to the retirement of treasure hunt however.

This is a general pattern with features inno develops (GE as others have mentioned has prizes that really only feel like antique dealer fodder by now) - it seems very appealing at first. It might get updated for a little while. Then eventually it gets left to be what it is for a prolonged period while they work on the next new feature until it either gets overhauled or scrapped. There is *zero* reason to believe the antique dealer will be any different in this trend in the long run. Adding these two new buildings to it will add some excitement into it that it's been missing. People will be satisfied with it and stop asking when ____ will be added to it (because the art exhibition is better than ____). And a year from now it'll be another feature most people ignore because events will have power-creeped further and the antique dealer's rewards won't be that special.

This is one of most composed and thorough responses I have ever read. I cant really fault it, maybe I dont know enough about programming and development, how much time and financial cost goes into it. I had always considered those things GE, DC, would be changed when it absolutely needed to be, but not before.

I understand that maybe it won't be changed at all, maybe it is the end of the road for those aspects, but in my head it doesn't seem like a hard thing to consider and tweak for Inno. That is probably down to a lack of personal knowledge and insight.

I'm not sure if they want to just make money or if they also want to make a good game, but it seems to me, that so far they have achieved both, maybe not enough of either for them to be satisfied, but I dont know their outgoings when compared to their income.

I think the AD has become less relevant to most players purely because the items they most desire are no longer affordable to most of us, even the long term players will have run out of valuable items to sell, I just dont see how Inno were motivated to add these buildings purely in the hope of increasing participation; if the fall in participation isn't a result of disinterest and rather a result of us being unable to interact with it at the same level as when it was introduced.

I'd thought maybe it was not to entice but to avoid adding something too soon, when everyone had lots of currency. More to maintain interest rather than provoke it. I've trained myself out of cynicism and perhaps this is a blind spot for me.

Thank you for your considered reply, it means a lot to have you back on the forum, I've always enjoyed your posts. I'm surprised though you haven't found the AD useful, it has changed things for me immeasurably, increased my Cider Mills from 4 to 9 (+47 fp) increased number of cherry gardens from 5 to 9 and made half of those buildings level 2 and it has been useful for WW in my other cities. (I said immeasurably, but then immediately was able to measure it, so, that's embarrassing.).

I think if you hadn't had the break, you would have felt more of a benefit from AD. I do like taking a break from the game. I give myself a holiday from it every July and I might start to do it more regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8743

Art Exhibition Kit cost 28k coins and 63 gems, so you need 504 gems for lvl8, ouch, I have 76 gems right now :D
In my main city, I have 222 gems and plenty in inventory to sell. No TFs anymore but 23 FOYs will get me another ~130 by themselves.

Exallia

Merchant
Ok, so I found out that prices are:
* Shrine of Knowledge Upgrade Kit - 40,5k coins and 30 gems
* The Art Exhibition Selection Kit - 28k coins and 63 gems

Currently, I have 228 gems and 13k coins ( due to mass bidding :oops::D) and I kinda hate it that there is no possibility to exchange gems for coins.

qaccy

Emperor
New stuff sounds good to me. SoK upgrades are balanced by being expensive and never knowing when they're going to show up. So long as gems remain unobtainable even with diamonds, this will be an additional limiting factor in how many one is able to obtain.

Also @felec so you're aware, the Magnum Opus has been available from the AD since its release and is one of the best buildings for FP efficiency, especially considering it's a standalone building with no upgrades. No other building in the game is able to match a 0.5 FP efficiency right out of the gate, and many buildings don't match it even after receiving the 6+ upgrade kits you're allowed to put into them.

Vectus

Farmer
Hi,
in my opinion the Art Exhibition is a bit boring in view of the rewards, it produces. Only FP and goods, like every other actual event building. Why not a bonus of the coins for selling in the Antiques Dealer or something other special for the Antiques Dealer?
And I think it would be cool to get fragments for the Kit by selling (or maybe buying) items or something like that. As it is now, nothing is special for the Dealer... So it is boring...

I like the idea of a SoK2, but why only in the Dealer? It's an event building, so it have to be a reward in the events. Why are you able to get the SoK1 in the Event (and the Dealer) and the Kit only in the Dealer? That doesn't make sense to me. Furthermore the Kit is extremely expensive.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I mean ^^

Vectus