• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Rejected Increase the challenge at Side Quests, at least once per Era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
To increase challenge level, at least once per Era, and Player satisfaction.
Details
See above at Proposed.
Balance
Requirements of quest must be balanced by era.
Abuse Prevention
No abuse issues detected.
Summary
To insert at each Age (just to new ages? or also edit current requirements at one side quest at Eras already released) new Side Quests (abortable) that raise the challenge to the Player and require more mind / strategy effort that simply wait to city collection to complete the spend or pay X of this resource or complete N battles without losing.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
Yes, not find any duplicates or similar ides. DSNSL reviewed, no conflicts here.
Current: Most of the quests at the game are just menial boring everyday tasks, no real challenge after a while in the game. Some asks for things that the player does not really needs or be aligned to the Player's strategy and ends as resources wasting in build or doing things to get demolished after the quest is done. Quest reward does little to compensate resources invested. Examples:
  • Build N houses (Really I have thousands or millions of extra population at the moment).
  • Raise Happiness by X (My Happiness level is over 1200 and have XX,XXX or more extra from Alcatraz and others.)
  • Spend Y FPs (Yeah, take that Y FP Swap thread, or finish unlocking that Research, 3 seconds work and done, No challenge).
  • Defeat X units.
  • more examples can be mentioned.
Very few quests do really require the Player to think how to solve it and set an strategy to get it done. At the most, the greater side quests challenge is to hold the Player until city collection time to complete a Collect X coins or y supplies, not a mind challenging tasks.

Proposed: Increase challenge level of one Side Quest per Era, that really put the Player to think how to complete the requirement. Three of the current quests that stands out from the menial, easy, every day tasks mentioned earlier are listed below:

• Industrial Age Era: A Real Challenge :
    • Rinbin: Your Grace! Are you up for a real challenge? Well, I am. Let's play a game - I bet you can't do this!
    • Have exactly 1997 population available.
  • Modern Era: A New Challenge:
    • Rinbin: Your Grace! I have another challenge for you, so you don't get bored!
    • Have exactly 6750 population available.
  • There is another by Fernicus the Architect that requires to have exactly 0 population available. was looking for it but could not find it.
New or edited side quests to increase challenge level does not have to be always related to population, but to bring another task other than simply collect x of this resource, spend y of that resource.

As all Side Quests, these new/edited quests to be abortable.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
Just read this:

And @nice2haveu meh I think after 8-9yrs playing FoE I myself can decide for myself what is challenging and not. For the vast majority paying a few supplies, coins and goods, completing a few tasks you'll do daily isn't exactly challenging. Even in EMA most side quests ain't challenging at all. DQ because of the time limit at times are the closest thing of such but best examples are already given in the quote above.
For some players, reaching EMA itself trouble. For some players, it's just a piece of cake. Same goes for side quests too. But is there any urgency to complete immediately. Keep patience when events quest comes with same quest as side quest. Not 100% same, but will come very close to side quests too.

Myself expecting to increase the challenge of side quest by removing abort option. It will make everyone play the game with a patience to work on their city. It is challenging rite. No more kids play of abort action (including me who does it very often).

But by having abort action and increase the challenges in side quests, doesn't match well. If abort option removed, and this whole idea gets implemented means, will vote yes for sure. Otherwise, sorry this idea is just another trick to get extra rewards, clearly no from my side from the beginning.

Myself too, agree with nice2have.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
For some players, reaching EMA itself trouble. For some players, it's just a piece of cake. Same goes for side quests too. But is there any urgency to complete immediately. Keep patience when events quest comes with same quest as side quest. Not 100% same, but will come very close to side quests too.
This is why it's better that a few challenging side quests appear at an later stage. nice2haveu is really against anything that isn't available at the start. Thus for this idea it should start at BA, though the given example examples of challenging side quests would be really bad for new players and unfair for BA and IA players. While sure reaching EMA is at the beginning of the game, because you'll still learning how it all works, on it's own a bit challenging. Roughly at that point it could be expected that you'll know how the game works. So, starting a few (1-2) challenging side quests at the end of EMA or slightly later makes more sense than with the logic "imagine something that is only available in an later stage in the game then I am and thus it should be available in BA."

Myself expecting to increase the challenge of side quest by removing abort option. It will make everyone play the game with a patience to work on their city. It is challenging rite. No more kids play of abort action (including me who does it very often).
So, by just making them story quests? Don't get me wrong but already many got stuck at times with those. Anyways what the proposal is all about is not even remotely close to what you're thinking now.

Proposed where quests asking to achieve something puzzling. Examples given where having an exact number of population and other kinds of quests asking something different than "produce X times an production of Y", "defeat X units", "recruit X of number those units", "solve this negotiation", etc.

Abuse - use to one's advantage in a way that was not intended to be in the game.
Explain why my idea enter in Abuse. If my idea is implemented, and the Developers add or Edit a single Side Quest per Era to be more challenging that the others, not the usual/menial/boring Build X houses, or Win Y Battles, or Gather Z Goods ...

The Player have only this two options:
  • The Player is given a new challenging Side Quest, the Player figure out what to do to complete the quest. Quest is completed, Rewards is obtained. Game continues.
  • The Player is given a new challenging Side Quest, the Player decide to abort it (as any Side Quest can be aborted). Quest is aborted, no Rewards is obtained. Game continues.
Please identify where is the abuse. Explain How exactly a Player would be able to abuse this??? Explain how a Player could take an advantage in a way that was not intended to be in the game.

nice2haveu

Baronet
Please identify where is the abuse. Explain How exactly a Player would be able to abuse this??? Explain how a Player could take an advantage in a way that was not intended to be in the game
Simple, this idea directly well supported for players who have built everything nicely in their city to overcome the difficulty. It's an advantage for them to get easily an reward from another side quest. It won't be suitable for new players who just entered into the game. Hope you understand it. Anyways have report it too like you asked.

In the DNSL, "changes to exisiting rewards" is mentioned. You can argue like, proposed idea not to change exisiting rewards but changing side quest into more challenging to expect bigger rewards when compared to current rewards. (Still I will say this belong to DNSL). This idea has most of the DNSL listed things which myself have mentioned earlier.

If a current Quest ask the Player to "Do THIS, and then will Receive THAT." and I propose the edit the current Quest to be: "Do THIS, and then will Receive THAT and THAT." Then I would agree that the proposal is changing existing rewards.

But, my idea is not asking for changing the existing rewards (THAT) for doing a current "THIS". My idea calls to create a NEW "CHALLENGING TASK", more difficult than current "THIS", and as any quest the new Side Quest would have a reward, that (as balance requires), should be worthy of the level of difficulty of efforts that the Player had to do to accomplish the "CHALLENGING TASK".

Simple, this idea directly well supported for players who have built everything nicely in their city to overcome the difficulty. It's an advantage for them to get easily an reward from another side quest. It won't be suitable for new players who just entered into the game. Hope you understand it. Anyways have report it too like you asked.
This game is about strategy and city development. Players who have "built everything nicely in their city" have played the game as it is intended to be played. You cant call that to be abuse.

My idea asks the developers, for balance issues, to adjust the difficulty level to the Era of the Quest. Then "new players who just entered into the game" will have a challenge suitable for them, not the same challenge that higher era Players would get.

Last edited:

nice2haveu

Baronet
This game is about strategy and city development. Players who have "built everything nicely in their city" have played the game as it is intended to be played. You cant call abuse to that.
Why twisting my statements. Am not against for who built their city nicely. Only against the proposed idea not to benefit immediately those nice work covered people only.

Welcoming an idea to support every players like for example production carousel. This idea is definitely not.

Welcoming an idea to support every players like for example production carousel. This idea is definitely not.
As I wrote before: My idea asks the developers, for balance issues, to adjust the difficulty level to the Era of the Quest. Then "new players who just entered into the game" will have a challenge suitable for them, not the same challenge that higher era Players would get.

Iron age Players shall receive an Iron Age sized challenge, Post Modern Era players shall receive a suitable sized challenge for their age, not the Iron age one.

Check the Original Post: " Balance: Requirements of quest must be balanced by era. " From the beginning I have new / low era players in mind.

One forum member suggested that a challenge in these Side Quests be like the "minesweeper" mini game that is at the Aztecs Settlement. At other Era the challenge could be like the "candy crush" mini game of a recent event. A BA Player can solve those.

Last edited:

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
idea directly well supported for players who have built everything nicely in their city to overcome the difficulty. It's an advantage for them to get easily an reward from another side quest. It won't be suitable for new players
Completely agree for this.
Check the Original Post: " Balance: Requirements of quest must be balanced by era. " From the beginning I have new / low era players in mind
I may need to repeat, this idea has nothing to do with Recurring Quests, only with SIDE Quests.
You must be fun at parties.

Define "production carousel".
You mean to complete every production option (5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, and 24 hours) at production buildings at the city?
Well, if correct, maybe could be the challenge for BA Players, just need a group of Blacksmiths and that is it. But that is not the type challenge that I'm looking for, no need to think much to see how to solve the task.

If that is the production carousel, the issue is just time, not a difficult task, just a long one to complete. Can be done with just one production building, start a production cycle, wait for completion, collect, set the other production cycle, wait, collect, ... repeat until the six (6) production cycles are completed. If using more than one production building it will be completed sooner. If using Supply Rush hourglass items it can be finished in a shorter time. No need to think much to complete.

What Im asking is for quests that requires to solve a logical, strategic or mathematical problem to be able to finish the task.

Last edited:

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Well if the BA is the problem. Why not making the challenge for BA and IA: "complete all event quests of 1 event." There are plenty events and if the SQ can only appear during an event that's not blocking them.
Anyways those "mean" established players are also immediately hurt; they're unable to try and obtain the rewards of SQ challenges of ages prior to their age. So it's even itself out. We "mean" biggies can't benefit from those easier challenging SQ.:'(
If the problem is that anyone with the ability to plan ahead of time and manage strategically their cities. Well than events should be banned and any and every feature of the game as anything in the game becomes easier to achieve with such. So, it's an really weird knockout argument that can be used against literally anything and everything except pure basic interfaces.

nice2haveu

Baronet
weird knockout argument
Cannot give the same argument for Galata tower, heal all button, message center copy paste, gbg warning dialog on blocked flag sector and etc.., did any of these idea gave negative impact to new or low or high or any category people. It maintains proper balancing. Welcoming more argument based on this too.

But for this idea, rightfully gave the knockout argument. Anyways, kindly requesting the OP to take much time to post the idea next time with complete balance instead of asking the Dev's to handle the balance by proposing the idea. Even in the forum, patience can be followed like playing the game. There is no urgency and it will avoid reading something unnecessary in future.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Cannot give the same argument for Galata tower,
Yes you can. The "mean" biggies immediately benefit from their vast resources of stockpiles of goods, fps and 1,x boosts raising up the tower very high. The BA players can't benefit from it from the start.:'( They must first unlock architecture in IA. Than reaching EMA and than building up enough goods and finding the much needed bd's. Which was all easier for those "mean" biggies with their large Arcs, huge stockpiles of goods, large networks of other players and even worse their 1.X boosts to raising the towers to high levels. While the poor beginners where not event close to getting their first bd of it.:/
heal all button, message center copy paste, gbg warning dialog on blocked flag sector and etc..,
That are interfaces, as I said this goofy knockout argument can't work against interfaces but on any other feature it can. Especially against new ages and an end game for whenever player's reach the definitive end of FoE. EG Elvenar style endless campaign map.
But for this idea, rightfully gave the knockout argument.
No, not even close. It's just an minor suggestion that won't greatly benefit anyone in particular and doesn't immediately showing up, all unlike the claims of the goofy knockout argument. As the suggestion is just adding more of an kind of SQ of the examples. On top of that you're convenient ignoring.
BA SQ can get an challenging SQ that BA can complete
BA+ player's can't benefit from all challenging SQ
Not all "challenging" SQ are available. So, no one immediately benefit from them
Beginning players can immediately benefit from the challenging SQ as they progress where older "mean" biggies can't because they're missing out on them

nice2haveu

Baronet
BA SQ can get an challenging SQ that BA can complete
You clearly stated from above line. Myself saying only one thing, SQs are already challenging and no need to make them more challenging. It will make them suffer, who are working in their city. It won't affect the people who has 'n' number of store buildings, coins, supplies and etc., in a large quantity.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
You clearly stated from above line. Myself saying only one thing, SQs are already challenging and no need to make them more challenging. It will make them suffer, who are working in their city. It won't affect the people who has 'n' number of store buildings, coins, supplies and etc., in a large quantity.
Let’s agreed to disagreed. BA SQ are like: produce max 10 of this supply building’s X production, build this many houses, etc. how can that be remotely challenging? Anyways first you where upset because it was suggested to be available in an age after IA, to not bother BA players with challenging SQ because it would be unfair in you’re eyes that not everyone get acces immediately. Now you’re upset because in BA building a few specific houses or supply buildings are extreme efforts??? Cheese what is easy in that case, collect 1 coin, unlock 1 technology, collect 1 supply?
Well I think you’ve not read the OP carefully. In the examples given in the OP an decked out city is rather an disadvantage and even for them equally difficult if not even harder to achieve. Getting you’re pop. down to a certain number is harder for a decked out city, easier for the “normal” building cities because they can easier swap them around. Completing the puzzle-like challenging SQ. Getting encouraged to complete event quests is beneficial for beginners and getting a reward on top of what the event gives would greatly benefit them instead of the players you’re whining about.

Can a new or low era player solve a logical problem? Can a new or low era player solve the "minesweeper" clone mini game used at the Aztecs Settlement? or similar "candy crush" clone set for a previous event?

Sure he/she can, you don't need a Future Era city to do that. Then that player can take the type of challenge side quests Im proposing in this idea. This game is not designed for little kids, however even little kids can solve some logical and medium complex mathematical problems, (at least I could before high school). some little kids can beat any day me in candy crush (I do better in minesweeper).

Low age player can take the type of challenge side quests Im proposing in this idea (challenges to the mind, to make players think of an strategy to accomplish), not just the usual, easy. boring collect X of this, pay Y of that, Win Z battles, build 2 of this W building of your age or 3 of the previous one.

Last edited:
Older Halloween Event quests had a bit of challenge that could be used for new/low era challenges. The event tasks were given as a riddle, not as a direct instruction like "Build 2 of you current era or 3 of the previous era." The player had to solve the riddle meaning to discover what to accomplish to finish the quest.
Examples:
Quest instruction included a "Think it through!" riddle that the player had to solve to be able to continue. the solution was "Research", the Player had to spend a few FPs at a research to finish the quest.

Other quest asked the riddle: "Go! Go! Go! Visit some friend, make him happy with a helping hand. To so thrice, that would be nice."
Solution: "Visit / helping" leads to Motivate /Polish, "happy" leads to Happiness, so Polish not Motivate is confirmed; and then "Go!" repeated 3 times and "trice" leads to number 3, so Polish 3 times to solve the quest.

Could new / low era players complete the Halloween Event in 2015? Sure many did.
Can the Developers come with new riddles for a few Side Quests? No doubt, and bring our good jester Rinbin to say them.

Last edited:

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
@drakenridder, @Darrth Eugene Vader3, you both clearly understood the problem in this idea and wanted to get this idea to be implemented asap. It gives me the feeling like that, because what @nice2haveu mentioned is a valid reason.

In one world, am in Future era with good city creation. Another world, just in HMA making city good progress. If this idea implemented, future era world myself don't find any challenge from the side quests. But in HMA may feel bit challenge and might get forced to do 'abort', which is happening currently also.

Not able to understand what you guys really expecting.

For example, will give one side quest to you now,
Quest:
Perform infiltrate 30times.
Abort:
yes or no

Would like to see the answer/action decision for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.