• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Guild Expedition Update

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
You are right. Now we have 1 or 2 potential tor bps per week less? Do you really think this is a big changer?
they are not accessible for beginners level 4 is difficult and not always open by guilds.
They should stay in the first levels.
Their presence in these first levels does not pose any problem.
There was a possibility at encounters 4 and 25 it could be 5 and 25, it didn't bother anyone to remove supplies

Beta567

Baronet
they are not accessible for beginners level 4 is difficult and not always open by guilds.
They should stay in the first levels.
Their presence in these first levels does not pose any problem.
There was a possibility at encounters 4 and 25 it could be 5 and 25, it didn't bother anyone to remove supplies
There are no ToR bps in GE 4.

Sunnyjack

Farmer
Inno, what are you thinking? The changes to the GE are just horrible. The fact that rewards have now been cut into "pieces" where you have to get a total of 180 fifteen at a time to make up ONE reward, seriously? It's one thing to deal with it during an event but in a weekly GE? Also, to have to reach level 4 to even have a chance at diamonds and the fact the number to possibly receive has been cut by half is beyond the pale, one of the main reasons to play GE is to restock those diamonds. These changes are also a huge disadvantage to New players and will make it much harder for them to get up to speed. As a player who doesn't mind spending money on diamonds on occasion I want to let you know that these changes will definitely have a serious cooling effect on my GE play. There will be some that say if you don't like the GE changes just don't play, that's not really an option in most Guilds who have a minimum participation requirement. I suggest you rethink these changes and go back to the drawing board because they don't serve the loyal players.

GEX5%20logo.png

Dear Kings and Queens,
On Tuesday, March 14th, the first Guild Expedition including level 5 will begin!

This is the place to be if you have any questions about it or would like to discuss it with other players.
Please keep in mind that your opinion may differ from the opinions of other players, you don't have to convince each other of anything here. :)

We appreciate your feedback!

Please write your feedback in a factual and constructive way and stay on topic.
So that we can pass your feedback on to the developers, the following points would be important to note:
  • Feedback that only contains one or two short sentences like "What was the name of the Temple again? I forgot." is not helpful. Please make sure to include reasons for your opinion.
  • The same goes for positive feedback. We are happy about it of course, but describing what exactly you like is always very helpful!
  • Limit your feedback to the actual content. Feedback like "You should improve X" or feedback that refers to other game content or events is not helpful.
  • Use the "Like" button if another player has already reflected your opinion well.
Thank you very much and have fun!

Sincerely,
Your Forge of Empires Team
I believe I already followed the 4 points you summing up because I try very hard to give constructive feedback. To be honest, not easy if my feelings go deep down playing this week GE L1 till end of L4 ! So let's make a "new try" to be constructive :
1) Reasons for my opinion? Because how GE was before on beta is "ok", althought I'm not against improvements !
2) What I like to see as improvements? Well, easy : change the GE rewards back as they're OR let the current changes like they are, BUT :
a) add something extra (for example as in GBG) : after a player did an encounter, they get always a "change" to win something extra right after each encounter!
b) the change to get that "extra" you can scale it as with the different Leagues: the higher the GE level is, the better the reward can be.
c) Like to see as extra : a few diamonds, some fp's, some goods, ... (examples!)
3) As for GE lvl5 : I already wrote it earlier : I like to see happen a "scaling score for the boost of the opponent like someone wrote earlier:
a) the very first time a player plays GE 5 it starts with (let's say) 10% boost on both att+def for defending army. This % goes up each enconter with 5% (example) so that last enc get's a boost of 85%. The second time a player "starts" GE L5 it goes all up with +10% (example), etc ...

If idea under "a" is "too complicated to program it with the game software", then maybe do it like this :
NO boosts, not for opponent, not for player.
Two options :
b1) with units of their own Era (only!= no cheating possible with units of higher era's than the player is currently in, like in GvG!) and with a jungle-like-battlefield which make each battle more tactical.
b2) with brand new 5 jungle-like-units with unique skill (a bit like Ancient Egypt). (for more ideas about this, please read my earlier post about this jungle-idea ).
EDIT : extra idea under ...
b3) start with no boost. Reward those players that do the battles manually : give the battlefield a "next-level boost with randomly placed "boosts" on fields, boosts that are permanent for the rest of the current GE L5 ! Example : let's say a player love the use of ranged units so he/she try to get to a "field" with a boost for all ranged units. It stay tactical because if the AI is smart and goes FIRST on that field with a boost, the boost is gone for the player AND that kind of enemy unit getting that boost also for the rest of current GE5! You can limit the amount of fields that give a boost (example max 5 pieces on each encounter of the same value or different ones) ... As some extra you can add the possibility to win such "boost" at the end of each encounter and then you can choose to which kind of unit you give it....
Just an fresh idea that plop up in my mind right now!

Last edited:

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
Nope, because when I start a new world from scratch I'm able to finish lvl3 after a week or 2. If someone wants to be in the top-10 after starting a new world that's another conversation.
But many of us don't do 3 levels for several weeks and play without an arc for longer.
FoE is not just for the elite, it has to satisfy the mass of average gamers.

.Chris

Baronet
The biggest "mistake" that the devs made with GE V is imho that they introduced the need for City defense so abruptly.

There is no learning curve, no way for the player to feel like they made an improvement as it is with the rest of GE. You start to be able to fight till 16, then you can auto battle and fight 32, autobattle 32 and fight 48 and so on. You feel the growing of your city, the improvements of your stats.

My solution would be to have both an Offense GE and a Defense GE running at the same time, each with their respective sets of rewards, attempts and (re-)balancing. Offense GE Level I - IV with your Attacking stats, Defense GE Level 1 - IV with your Defending stats. This would give all players a similar starting point; allow veterans to rebuild their cities over time (if they so choose) while at the same time get newbies adjusted to building up City Attack and City Defense equally. At the same time you would leave yourself the opportunity to tack on additional levels of difficulty for each version.

As far as balacing is concerned:
  • Nerfing Diamond rewards is definetly warranted. However it is a HUGE incentiment fpr doing GE. Throw in really small chances for large amounts of Diamonds, getting them would make me incredibly happy, even though it might not happen all that often.
  • Fragments... fine BUT reorganize the inventory :rolleyes:
  • It's frustrating to not have something tangible in your hands every once in a while. Maybe replace the Portraits (after you get them of course) with complete kits
  • Why not throw in a small chance of Next Era goods in encounters? Balancing mght be:
    • 10 Previous Era Goods at 30%
    • 10 Goods at 50%
    • 20 Goods at 15%
    • 5 Next Era Goods at 5%

But many of us don't do 3 levels for several weeks and play without an arc for longer.
FoE is not just for the elite, it has to satisfy the mass of average gamers.
With proper planning any BA/IA player should be able to complete three levels of GEX after one or two seasons. Build lots of goods buildings and negotiate.

SirAlucard

Steward
With proper planning any BA/IA player should be able to complete three levels of GEX after one or two seasons. Build lots of goods buildings and negotiate.
That may work for experienced players, but not for new ones. The changes on every level will be as discouraging for new players as they are for the older ones. And honestly, should these changes reach the live servers, I will quit FoE. I'm at a point on my main world, where I wait and prepare for Titan, for this I also gather Diamonds through the GEX. But with the new rewards, it will turn into a chore and won't give me joy anymore, because I don't get rewarded for beating the encounters. Instead we get punished with fragments of buildings, that I would definitely sell at the AD.

Kronan

Viceroy
It's NOT just diamonds, @SirAlucard. It's a whole game recalibration of moving up through the eras. You're very used to getting Reno Kits, and One up kits and even store buildings as FINISHED products.

Now, you have to plan very differently on when you can level up, and what needs to be lifted in era with you. Your supply of any of these essential items will gate your era up progress.

Since they're now fragmented, it's going to take you a LOT longer to accumulate them to be fully usable. GE was a major source of these game-important materials, along with the TOR.

People better start planning for what's coming, and what they want to do in this regard.

BY all means - do NOT continue to sell ANY of these. As usable FULLY ASSEMBLED tools in your inventory their value to your game just skyrocketed.

No disrespect, but I think Inno doesn't have employee players that deeply and intimately know their game like we collectively do. That can lead to a very myopic vision of how small changes can impact the player population.

The braintrust here in the player population could help them realize omissions in their strategy. They may be too proud to ask before they commit resources to build or change things.

Last edited:

CDmark

Baronet
I started a city in beta and I will see. I am in BA so no GE yet. The change in ToR BPs doesn't bother me at all. FoE players are very helpful and I would just pay for P5, no Arc, if I want a ToR. I think new players would do the same. The inventory buildings gone, not as worried about it. I already know I would still want a chance at rogue and champ, would help with getting GE done. Even with rogue den/hideout (for the 3rd cost D's) , those guys take long to heal so having some extra non attached makes a difference, same with champs. So, with fragments of selection kits, I don't see advancing ages much at all.

Let's get to the real topic, diamonds.

Current GE on live servers, if I make 150 a week, I get my diamond expansions but most of them are in L4. That last encounter in L3, the chance for 100% is lots of fun. Expansion would cost me 200, 200, 400, 400 (IA) 1200 D, 8 weeks BUT I still need the time to be able to do GE L4. Buy the time I get there, have a tavern where I could spend on extra turn, my guess 3 months. So, we are talking about 6 months into playing. Those expansions for higher age players are 2400 D, 16 weeks of GE, current rate. So, is the current rate given in GE crazy? No. We all know where the diamonds are coming from, GBG, different topic.

Proposed GE diamonds, multiply all numbers above by 2 (let's keep it rough calculations).

150 D a week, after expansions, do you think I am dominating events now? to pay for anything in events, ex wildlife tickets and coin isn't cheap. It would take 10 weeks to get 1500 D which would help in the event. Basically, let's say 3 months of current L4 GE to have enough diamonds to help in 1 (one) event. Meanwhile we would have about 3 events. Don't forget those 1500 D pop ups for an event building upgrade.

Proposed GE diamonds, time X 2.

Many newer players aren't going to have the GBG diamond income until they get to a competing guild. Attrition will affect them much more as they are still growing, so it isn't a huge diamond source.

The more FPs will help with leveling GBs so that does help.
Fragments of selection kits, oh well, waste of time to comment, already know it is coming.

I've always said that Inno does a decent job explaining how the game works. "Press button A to perform action B". But they do a terrible job explaining HOW to play the game. The reason is obvious: the game is a series of puzzles. Inno stands to make more money when players struggle and make mistakes with those puzzles. Maybe sometimes, it's not a good idea to press button A.

When so many new players have no idea what they need to know, new cities may only be a tiny fraction of what they could be. So, they have no chance of completing levels of GE or of completing events. It would be nice (and helpful) for Inno to offer advice on how to fight successfully, how to negotiate successfully but I doubt it will happen. For Inno, it's better that you spend diamonds to resurrect troops or to get more goods, etc.

plotus

Farmer
Individually I don't mind any of the changes but there really is no incentive to do GE1-4 and if GE5 remains impossible for most of us (for now), the question becomes why do GE at all? Guilds won't race in GE anymore (there will be exceptions) but most guilds won't be able to hit 125%. That's a loss to the game.

Suggestion: Keep guild championship at 133.3% (i.e. only GE1-4 count). Gives players an incentive to do GE and keeps the championship as a race. GE5 gives great personal rewards so remains a target for individual players to strive for.