• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] Cultural Settlements

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emberguard

Emperor
i have a question - suggeston
while building settlements it was said i can build each settlement multiple times
so if every time i would have to spent 2k diamonds for 4 expansions - thats honestly stupid.
but if i buy those expansions and everytime i want to recreate settlement i already have 4 diamond expansions - thats fair then.

But in case wheni have to buy expansions everytime then500 diamonds per expansion is way way to much o n live serwers.
in this second case i suggest 100 or 50 diamond price for expansion - its more down to earth then current price
It's a interesting dilemma. The likely reason for it being reset each time is so it doesn't become too easy both to achieve in the timeframe for the runestones and too fly through the settlement in general. But the price is quite high if you want all 4 expansions.

So would the price go up and be made permanent per settlement? Or would it go down or remain the same on live? At that price if I buy any I'd stick to a single expansion. But chances are the that point I'd decide I need more land it'd be too late to make use of the benefit and be better off using it on tech instead.

And if it were made permanent (for the specific culture) what would you consider a suitable price per diamond expansion? 750? 1000? 2000? 2750? More?

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
I do know, some hate PvP (player vs player) but we are also some who dislike PvE (player vs environment)
I love PvP as you never know how a real person will act. I don't like fighting a piece of program code, it's boring.
FoE do have a fine balance, where we can do a little PvP without ruin non PvP'ers game. Yes you can get looted but only one building and only if you are to slow to havest.
I don't believe we need more limit to PvP, just keep it so balanced as possible.

I knew this was going to come up. PvP belongs in the regular cities, yes. I personally do not agree that it belongs in the settlements. For me that would suck the life and the fun right out of it, and I wouldn't bother doing it. Where else in the game do we have PvE? This new feature is the only place. What's wrong with leaving it alone?

Or you could just report the post and let us handle it ;)

'twas a joke. :p

shooter

Merchant
Forge of Empires has never been a battle game, it's a building game. While it may have battle elements they were never the focus of the game. When I started playing GvG and GE didn't even exist.

It might not have had GVG or GE but it had Hood battle PVP. It was battle and the focus of the game for many players. Guilds issued edicts against others, attack was big in hood. Good times and really nothing compared to GVG but another kind of war. For sure that brought a whole new level of fun :)

FrejaSP

Viceroy
I knew this was going to come up. PvP belongs in the regular cities, yes. I personally do not agree that it belongs in the settlements. For me that would suck the life and the fun right out of it, and I wouldn't bother doing it. Where else in the game do we have PvE? This new feature is the only place. What's wrong with leaving it alone?

Now Vikings are known for attack other towns/places, so it would be fine with a little PvP for Viking towns. There could be other cultures, with other challenges like trading or something else.

DeletedUser7514

The emissary is a settlement reward.
More emissary are more rewards.
Why I have to unlock a slot with diamonds to use my rewards in my Town Hall ?

Last edited by a moderator:

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
Now Vikings are known for attack other towns/places, so it would be fine with a little PvP for Viking towns.

Of course, Vikings were raiders. :D Nevertheless...

The settlements feature is not meant to be exactly like the main game. I won't bother doing it if the PvP element is introduced into it, and I don't think I would be the only one sitting it out. Apparently, that runs counter to what the developers are aiming for. I don't see what is so bad with having a non-PvP realm where everyone is on the same footing.

Some actual PvE action would be great...the settlement is threatened by an abnormally large bull seal (and it's during the rut which makes them even more dangerous); drive it away and you are rewarded a valuable resource. Kill it and distribute the meat, hide, tusks, and your rewards are greater. An orca is damaging the fishing boats, which threatens the very survival of the settlement. Drive it away and you are rewarded with a valuable resource. Kill it and share the benefits and your rewards are greater. Oh, look, there's some weird and potentially world-ending thing in the glacier. How you deal with it (and you have to deal with it) determines what your reward is (this includes the possibility of completing the time challenge early).

Each culture would have its own unique PvE action. And since these are cultures, and every culture has its own mythology, there is the potential for a random event every 48 hours (or so), where upon login to your settlement you discover that a Deity has stricken your village. To remedy the situation, you must do whatever the particular Deity requires. Succeed, and your reward goes into your actual city, like a badge of honor, for defeating a God.

There's quite a lot the designers can do to make the settlement feature more engaging, fun and rewarding without introducing PvP into it.

DeletedUser7951

Of course, Vikings were raiders.
Not only raiders, they were farmers too. And their conquest and expanding was very often peaceful.
I rather have PvE than PvP in the settlements if we need fighting. As mentioned previously I'd love to be in the deff towards a proper AI. But raiding in the settlement would totally put me off. I find plundering the neighbourhood boring and chorelike. And the settlement is too slow and doesn't offer enough option to time to harvests to real life so I'd be voulnarable for plundering. The AI -deff is pretty crap.

DeletedUser9127

hallo, was mus bei der letzten quest getan werden

Translation:
hello, what must be done in the last quest

EDIT: NormaJeane - 2018-11-12 -
Please provide an English translation when you post on the Beta-forum in another language!

hallo, was mus bei der letzten quest getan werden
Für gewöhnlich steht doch da was getan werden muss :D

Translation:
Usually there is something to be done

Please provide an English translation when you post on the Beta-forum in another language!

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
It's a interesting dilemma. The likely reason for it being reset each time is so it doesn't become too easy both to achieve in the timeframe for the runestones and too fly through the settlement in general. But the price is quite high if you want all 4 expansions.

So would the price go up and be made permanent per settlement? Or would it go down or remain the same on live? At that price if I buy any I'd stick to a single expansion. But chances are the that point I'd decide I need more land it'd be too late to make use of the benefit and be better off using it on tech instead.

And if it were made permanent (for the specific culture) what would you consider a suitable price per diamond expansion? 750? 1000? 2000? 2750? More?

Tech is in the same boat. The most efficient time savers are shrines and mead brewery. They save you the goods at the time when goods take the most time to produce for you (since you have the least space). By the end of your settlement you're making 100-150 goods a day. At the start you're making 25-50.

Shrines:
- save 23 axes
- get expansions earlier with the saved axes
Mead Brewery:
- save 45 axes
- save additional goods and get expansions earlier by using mead to buy all the early expansions

Between the two I think you cut off about 4 days for 340 diamonds. Doing that on each of 15 runs through will get you done a couple months earlier (and perhaps in later runs might make you some extra runestone shards you otherwise won't get since under 13 days is likely to require decent luck without diamonds).

By contrast, mead hall at the end you're not really doing anything but paying 500-750+ diamonds per day you need to cut off.

Last edited:

DeletedUser9127

[QUOTE = ". Capo, Beitrag: 70894, Mitglied: 3978"] Für gewöhnlich steht was da werden müssen : D[/ QUOTE]
hi, bist ja ein ganz Schlauer:))

Translation:
hi, you're a very smart one

DeletedUser7529

Only me have a feeling market is poorly balanced versus shrine? Its mid in tech tree so should be upgrade to shrine but it is not:
Shrine = 30/(4+1) = 6 coins /4h per tile (5 tiles with road)
Market = 122/2 / (9+1.5) = 5.81 coins /4h per tile (3,1 % less production than shrine)

Both buildings use same amount of workers per coin produced. Only difference is size (shrine is smaller and easier to place) and duration. But since goods production needs 4h intervals shrines market longer duration is no benefit. It can be drawback even, as if you do only 2 collections a day you will gather less than when using shrines.
I still think diplomacy coin producing buildings (shrine / market) should use same logic as supply production buildings in main city - they should allow to choose production duration. And higher bulding tier more coins it should produce per hour.

Praeceptor

Marquis
Forge of Empires has never been a battle game, it's a building game. While it may have battle elements they were never the focus of the game. When I started playing GvG and GE didn't even exist.

if FoE isn't a battle game, how do you justify the ranking point award system?

The main way ranking points are awarded is through battles, or donating goods to the guild for GvG and GE battles. Sure, you get a few points for placing buildings, but that's insignificant compared to fighting.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Plundering has been a core system of the game since as long as i can remember as well.

That said, building is certainly a core part of it too and i don't especially mind the idea of a building focused side activity (new layouts are actually one of my favorite activities in game) - but settlements are kinda like the Duplo version of building ;) They're more of a 'collect regularly' oriented activity, which is one of my least favorite activities (4 hr has got to be my least favorite cycle as well - 15m and 1 hr work well for staying super-active for short periods. 8 hr and 1d work well for periodic scheduled checkins. 4 hr is a horrible middleground)

DeletedUser7566

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I like the feature.
Many people are calling it slow - Fair enough, it is slow. But for a game that most of us have been playing for years then the prospect of taking 9 months to work through a new feature doesn't seem to me to be a bad thing. In fact it's better that way than having something that you could power through in a week or two then spend months waiting for the next thing to come out.
Some people don't like that you have to wait 4 hours between collections - Again, what's wrong with that? Most of us have to wait 24 hours between collections in our main cities. Yes we have plenty of other things to do in our main cities besides collecting, such as GE and GvG, but having more to do in the settlement means taking time away from running the main city. Sometimes it's hard enough finding the time to do everything I want to with the main city so not needing to give much time to run the settlement is a good thing, for me at least.
Obstructions - Brilliant idea, absolutely love it. Makes us have to put a bit more thought into the layout to get the most efficiency from it every time we unlock a new building. So please don't give an option for removing them.

I absolutely agree. I love it. Not everything enjoyable is about speed - sailing for example. I find the challenge of designing the city to maximize movement forward very interesting and I have many other things to do during the wait times. This side feature isn't intended to keep you busy with it all the time. If this were just a copy of the main city what would be the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.