• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Daily Challenges

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

Lionhead

Baronet
You've mentioned this before. From the sounds of it you're an end-game player, which means you have access to the Crystal Flower store which also has a very small footprint. (I use them extensively in some worlds for DC stuff.)

If you want a proper challenge hitting the DC targets, you should try it with purely CE buildings.

I am indeed an endgame player, and I do have some Crystal Flower Stores alongside a few Seaside Stores.
The point is, that there´s no need for calling the game Forge of Blacksmiths. Call it Forge of Crystal Villa Stores then, or Forge of Hatters (if you are in CE), or Forge of Gunsmiths. Anyone should be able to build a city which can meet the requirements in DC without any major hassle. And sure, you would look for productionbuildings with a fairly small footprint, but Blacksmiths are defenitely not the only way to go.
If Forge of Blacksmiths would be a fair nickname for the game, I´d have to say that equally fair would be Forge of Complainers.

DeletedUser8404

It is a challenge about keeping active friends on your friend list. If friends do not Mo / Po and do not visite your inn, kick them of the list and find some better friends :)
Although I'm not the one you were originally replying to, I can tell you that it's the "find some better friends" part that's the problem. I'm out of friend requests, so that's not an option. I've given up on asking in chat for friends because nobody else ever has friend requests left either. Asking for friends by any other method I've thought of is hit or miss...about 99% miss. At this point, I'm out of ideas for finding active friends who actually have friend requests available. I've "resorted" to doing nothing and just letting the game suggest friends to others. Most of the time, that gets me maybe one or two per week...about the same as my attrition rate. Once every few months, though, it seems like the game suddenly decides I need more friends, and starts recommending me to everyone who clicks on their Find Friends button. Those periods are kind of nice, but very infrequent and unreliable.

If you have any other suggestions for how to find active friends when you have no friend requests left, I'd love to hear it.

DeletedUser4381

I am indeed an endgame player, and I do have some Crystal Flower Stores alongside a few Seaside Stores.
The point is, that there´s no need for calling the game Forge of Blacksmiths. Call it Forge of Crystal Villa Stores then, or Forge of Hatters (if you are in CE), or Forge of Gunsmiths. Anyone should be able to build a city which can meet the requirements in DC without any major hassle. And sure, you would look for productionbuildings with a fairly small footprint, but Blacksmiths are defenitely not the only way to go.
If Forge of Blacksmiths would be a fair nickname for the game, I´d have to say that equally fair would be Forge of Complainers.

It's in the nature of everyone to complain about things that they don't like, and some people complain more because they wan't more from the game. (Personally I pretty much stopped caring a few years back, so I just provide reasoned feedback about how things will affect the game and then go back to making my city more efficient.)

But that said; I find that people only complain en-masse, and repeatedly, about things that notably dilute gameplay or reduce the value of what they've already invested in. It's happened before (Nerfs of GBs/Wishing Wells/etc) and will undoubtedly happen again. In this case it's a case of gameplay dilution, because players usually want to have the feeling they are advancing their city. Given the inevitable drift towards more efficiency by players with any sense, it stands to reason that Blacksmiths will be the building of choice for the DC given the low population requirement and footprint. With that in mind, personally I can't fault them for complaining - because one of the earliest buildings in the entire game really shouldn't be the most effective for end-game players.

qaccy

Emperor
because one of the earliest buildings in the entire game really shouldn't be the most effective for end-game players.

I don't really think you could call blacksmiths the 'most effective' on all counts. But to be fair, Inno could simply keep all DC requirements the same but add in 'of your age' to the production building requirements if they wanted to. Would that be better or worse? Personally I think it'd be better because it would remove the somewhat confusing complaints over 'having' to use blacksmiths to participate in a system that a lot of these same people are complaining about as being 'not rewarding enough'. If the trend is indeed for players to gravitate towards efficiency, and players see DCs as inefficient for the rewards, why are they even building blacksmiths in the first place in order to complete them?

I dunno, it just sounds to me like a lot of the comments here are people wanting to not only have their cake and eat it too, but also have it fed to them.

Side note: My main city on live servers now has 8 (normal) cider mills and 8 boatyards built. I think this approach is closer to what the developers actually 'intended' when coming up with DCs, but without the age requirement for productions it's a bit ambiguous.

Andi47

Overlord
I don't really think you could call blacksmiths the 'most effective' on all counts. But to be fair, Inno could simply keep all DC requirements the same but add in 'of your age' to the production building requirements if they wanted to. Would that be better or worse? Personally I think it'd be better because it would remove the somewhat confusing complaints over 'having' to use blacksmiths to participate in a system that a lot of these same people are complaining about as being 'not rewarding enough'. If the trend is indeed for players to gravitate towards efficiency, and players see DCs as inefficient for the rewards, why are they even building blacksmiths in the first place in order to complete them?

I dunno, it just sounds to me like a lot of the comments here are people wanting to not only have their cake and eat it too, but also have it fed to them.

Side note: My main city on live servers now has 8 (normal) cider mills and 8 boatyards built. I think this approach is closer to what the developers actually 'intended' when coming up with DCs, but without the age requirement for productions it's a bit ambiguous.

Well - in some eras all supply buildings have a quite large footprint - so "finish 60 5-minutes-productions of your era" would literally mean to sit at the screen without a break for two hours or more to do 5-min productions - and "24 4-hours productions of your era" would be really impossible. Examples of such eras: Postmodern and Contemporary Eras (and to a bit lesser content also Progressive Era)

DeletedUser4381

I don't really think you could call blacksmiths the 'most effective' on all counts.

12 Population for a 2x2 production building? It's the most effective by far for the repetitive productions - and it's not even a close contest. It leaves both space (which is usually at an absolute premium) and population free for military and/or Goods buildings.

qaccy

Emperor
12 Population for a 2x2 production building? It's the most effective by far for the repetitive productions - and it's not even a close contest. It leaves both space (which is usually at an absolute premium) and population free for military and/or Goods buildings.

As I said, blacksmiths are not the most effective 'on all counts' because you're ignoring the actual reason supply buildings are continually introduced to the game - because they produce higher and higher values of supplies. By that metric, blacksmiths are very ineffective.

For what it's worth, I'll provide my own perspective to your implication that goods and military buildings are more valuable than supply buildings. Goods can be generated from recurring quests in pretty respectable quantities, and goods buildings are NEVER needed for quests (I've yet to see a quest ask for goods to be gained from an actual goods building, only to obtain goods using whatever means you wish). Side note, I've also completed all OF research and have thousands of each OF good in the bank without ever constructing an OF goods building...and my Chateau is only level 11. Imagine how high those numbers would be if I'd actually gotten around to 'super level' the thing. Basically, it just doesn't seem like a good use of space for me to have goods buildings because they don't actually accomplish anything.

On to military! With Alcatraz, there's likewise rarely ever a need for me to have barracks for a prolonged period of time. I put down each OF barracks for a little bit until my level 14 Alcatraz got me up to 200ish unattached of each unit, then sold them back off. It's been months for some of them, and only Turturrets are down below 170. Fighting with attached troops is kind of a relic from a time before Alcatraz was added to the game and the ability to level GBs beyond 10 became a strong reality thanks to the Arc. Even GE can eliminate the need for barracks by providing up to 24 guaranteed unattached troops every week. Granted, you can't control what you get from GE but at least in OF, I use every unit at various points so nothing ends up being useless. Essentially, beyond a brief initial period where I use Alcatraz to give myself a stockpile, barracks are never a mainstay in my city beyond the ubiquitous rogue hideout - which side note, can always be used to place 'empty' armies in GvG to slow down enemies in a pinch so there isn't even a need for a monstrous age-appropriate barracks in all cases either.

Anyway, while it's probably not going to convince anyone who's got their mind made up, there's my own perspective on the value of supply buildings in one's city. Goods buildings are irrelevant, military buildings are only temporarily useful, and supply buildings always have a use for how I play the game. Blacksmiths aren't going to cut it, so I have space to spare for stuff that's age-appropriate.

DeletedUser4381

As I said, blacksmiths are not the most effective 'on all counts' because you're ignoring the actual reason supply buildings are continually introduced to the game - because they produce higher and higher values of supplies. By that metric, blacksmiths are very ineffective.

My supplies store is in the several hundreds of millions, as is 90%+ of any end-game player. I *literally* don't care about the output from the DC productions. For the DC productions challenges, the blacksmith is the best and it's not even close.

DeletedUser8410

#2 player in Z world has daily challenges and now has 1 month head start on rest of us.

Just putting out there in case you thought the testing was no big deal and wasn't causing imbalances at the top of player ranks.

It is. As the rank #11 player I find this extremely unfair and hope it is remedied very soon.

DeletedUser8406

Because of some "Modern look" there is big spacing between lines in daily challenge. So I see 4, butthere might be more. And it is little bit confusing - I fulfilled all quests in daily challenge, but there is one more "under line".
Would it be possible a) give maximally 4 quests or b) give some better indicator than thin scrollbar?
Clipboard04.png

DeletedUser8652

I'm assuming this topic is still about daily challenge feedback....
I am for the daily challenge and would like to see it replace the treasure hunt. The treasure hunt is silly and useless and causes you to have to keep your timing up throughout the day to get the next chest, and you have to get all of them for a decent chance at a worthy prize.
At least with the daily challenge you know you have 24 hrs to complete it, and this allows you to have a RL schedule and still compete.

Zolhex

Merchant
The daily challenge has an issues I would love to see them do something about.

The day starts you can pick the rewards on the left side OR you can pick the rewards on the right side.

Now I look at the rewards and I think well lets see today I can get reward buildings that were from and event OR I can opt to get medals .... well as I have been lucky in events I will go for medals.

Now I get the required quests to finish to get my reward of medals. I have done the medals 8 times 7 of them I got the lowest reward the 8th I got the 2 lowest reward doesn't seem all that random to me. It appears to be more of a we will pay out as little as possible. (Not the problem I wish to address but figured put it here as well)

My problem is this I have clue what the quests are going to be each day on each side. (yeah yeah I get it not knowing is part of the choice) BUT here is the real issues I have with not knowing I SUCK at the combat side of this game!

What I'd like them to do is make it so that one side is always going to have the combat quests in it and the other side will not.

So if you pick the rewards that are offered on the right side you will need to fight to complete at least 1 of the quests required to get your reward.

Otherwise pick the reward offered on the left side and no fighting is necessary seems like I simple enough thing to do.

Oh and the rewards that are offered on the left should rotate to the right and vice versa as all the rewards should be available to both options.

FrejaSP

Viceroy
If you have any other suggestions for how to find active friends when you have no friend requests left, I'd love to hear it.
If you already have 80 active friends, the Daily Challenge should not be a problem for you. If they are not active, why do you keep them?
It can be a problem on Beta serveren, hvis the task is to visite 45 Inns, as many do not login each day and claim their silver and most of the Inns will be fillet, but that should not be an issue on life servers and you do have 24 hours, so don't visite the Inns before you have seen your daily tasks

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Viceroy
I'm assuming this topic is still about daily challenge feedback....
I am for the daily challenge and would like to see it replace the treasure hunt. The treasure hunt is silly and useless and causes you to have to keep your timing up throughout the day to get the next chest, and you have to get all of them for a decent chance at a worthy prize.
At least with the daily challenge you know you have 24 hrs to complete it, and this allows you to have a RL schedule and still compete.
I agre with you in this, the treasure hunt is very stressful to do. I have to get om my computer before I drive for work, do the first 2 chests. Then I have 2 hours to get to work and on my work PC. It take min 90 min to drive to my work.
Then I have 4 hours = arround noon to when I can do the next and hope there is no meetings there interrupt it and I have to start over and so on to I get the last chest next morning.
Daily challenge is way better as I do not have to login at work to finish the task for the chest. I love it and can't wait to see it on danish servers. Sure I may still fail some chests or "only" get FP and not the building I wish for but that's all fine, I can hope for better luck next time.

FrejaSP

Viceroy
My problem is this I have clue what the quests are going to be each day on each side. (yeah yeah I get it not knowing is part of the choice) BUT here is the real issues I have with not knowing I SUCK at the combat side of this game!

What I'd like them to do is make it so that one side is always going to have the combat quests in it and the other side will not.

So if you pick the rewards that are offered on the right side you will need to fight to complete at least 1 of the quests required to get your reward.

Otherwise pick the reward offered on the left side and no fighting is necessary seems like I simple enough thing to do.

I do not like that, however if the reward is something used for combat, like army or building that give you + fighting power, expect there to be a combat quest in the list. I believe that already are the case but I could be wrong.

Zolhex

Merchant
I do not like that, however if the reward is something used for combat, like army or building that give you + fighting power, expect there to be a combat quest in the list. I believe that already are the case but I could be wrong.

So you are against people having a clear option to do combat or not? That seems sad?

I have regularly have combat quests with no combat rewards Today I chose to try for a production building 1 quest is take 3 map sections by fighting.

FrejaSP

Viceroy
So you are against people having a clear option to do combat or not? That seems sad?

I have regularly have combat quests with no combat rewards Today I chose to try for a production building 1 quest is take 3 map sections by fighting.
Yes I'm against as fighting is an important part of this game. It would be sad to see the game splittet to much between the ones who like fighting and the ones who do not. This game do have a good balance.

Some may miss a few chests because they do not want to fight, some because they do have to few active friends, some because they can't fit "do x time of y mins production" in to their way to play the game. Then others do a lot of fighting but do not collect a lot of goods a day and may miss collections tasks.

It is a daily challenge, noone say it should be easy or you should success it everytime or get the best item in the chest.

Last edited:

Zolhex

Merchant
Yet for the last what is it now 4 months the daily challenge has been running I have NEVER completed more than 3 of the 7 days for the BIG reward chest cause of the fight requirements.

But in your mind that is ok screw me cause I suck???

Also fighting is not important to this game other wise there would be no way for those of us who like this game as a building / city management game would NEVER leave the Bronze age!

DeletedUser8471

My supplies store is in the several hundreds of millions, as is 90%+ of any end-game player. I *literally* don't care about the output from the DC productions. For the DC productions challenges, the blacksmith is the best and it's not even close.

You can use those supplies to do Unbirthday Quests. The cost is a little high in OF, but even with 100M supplies you can do 200 of those plus whatever coins and supplies you get back to do more. 200 UBQs net on average 14 of 5fp packs.

The beauty of this game is not one resource is entirely useless, you just need to be willing to find a way to use them. Even Medals have a use after all Victory expansions are purchased, albeit it’s limited to how much time you want to spend in the AA map in GvG.