• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

DeletedUser9570

* Roads are no longer free
* producing goods is free thanks to the fights.
We will have to check if it is possible to produce enough Deben to pay for the roads and the rest, if yes then all is ok

1.) No, roads weren't for free before either. You had to pay normal game coins to build them.
2.) Maybe it escaped your attention, but the roads in the other settlements are now costing settlement money as well.
3.) Producing goods is NOT for free "thanks to the fights" because you first need to have soldiers to fight and they are NOT for free.

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
1.) No, roads weren't for free before either. You had to pay normal game coins to build them.
2.) Maybe it escaped your attention, but the roads in the other settlements are now costing settlement money as well.
3.) Producing goods is NOT for free "thanks to the fights" because you first need to have soldiers to fight and they are NOT for free.
The Viking routes were completely free, they are not anymore but it is not the object of this conversation.
I don't care, I haven't been Viking or Japanese for a long time.

The fights seem to be of a good level, the easy ones give a lot and are free (or almost) because I have little or no losses.
Yesterday I managed the most difficult with the available units (3 units max for 3 types) so not the best army possible.

if it is possible to produce enough Deben to pay for the roads and the rest, if yes then all is ok

My problem is not to build the grain farm, (i had enough place and population), but to start productions
You have to win a fight

aragon82

Merchant
Ok thanks , you solved my problem, we have to start building military buildings before grain farm...
you get a few troops from quest-line, they should be enough to win easy fight and get you enough to get production started
barracks(4h) and recruting(4h each) take some time

DeletedUser10017

Bug: On mobile (iPad) sometimes my siege camp gets duplicated and sets offset up and left of the original ramp....once it does that it will stay that way until I reload game from login and only the new raised ramp can be clicked on

Achaeus

Marquis
I am very surprised to see very critical players even before having tested the settlement !!!

For the moment I noticed 2 points:
* Roads are no longer free
* producing goods is free thanks to the fights.

We will have to check if it is possible to produce enough Deben to pay for the roads and the rest, if yes then all is ok
But fighting is not free as you have to pay for recruiting the army and the space necessary for barracks, so production is not free

DeletedUser9570

The Viking routes were completely free, they are not anymore but it is not the object of this conversation.

On the contrary! It's at the center of the conversation.

I don't care, I haven't been Viking or Japanese for a long time.

Most people do, though. Face it.

fights seem to be of a good level, the easy ones give a lot and are free (or almost) because I have little or no losses.

I had no units left after the second battle which is why I am stuck. Maybe you get some units from the questline but only if you can continue it. I can't right now because I haven't got any units left so I can't get units from the questline which I cannot continue. The dog bites its own tail! I have to wait to produce units in my military buildings which takes time and which is NOT free. And to do the quests in the questlines you have to invest a lot of goods etc so it's also not for free. Military units aren't for free, whatever you say!

it is possible to produce enough Deben to pay for the roads and the rest, if yes then all is ok

That's beside the point. The whole idea that we must now pay settlement currency for roads is rotten and it must be undone.

Sorry to say but you appear to sound a lot like an INNO representative.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10163

I'm trying the settlement now, but if this is whats it gonna be i'm not gonna bother on live servers.

The army just takes to long to train and how you gonna get any when they die at this rate.
The stones can be removed, but there are so many more then free removals.
No free roads.
Need to fight to produce goods.

I'm not willing to waste diamonds on this and without it seems impossible and time consuming.
No way i'm gonna invest my time into this terrible settlement.

DeletedUser5097

Balance building/recruiting time
I think that building time for military buildings should be reduced to 1h just like cultural goods
buildings. Training shouldn’t take more than 30-60 minutes
The training costs are fine and building up a sufficient army for daily fights. Losing units will
still take some time.

Main reward
For the main reward. I’m glad with 8 units on a daily base as it is much better than timeless
dojo. Starting from lvl 3/4 adding defensive bonus for attacking army wouldn’t hurt either.
In order to make it more appealing to

Time and effort
personally I don’t know how some folks manage to be very busy with this new
settlement. To me doesn’t take much more time than just recruit a few units and do 3 fights
daily next to normal goods production. To me it doesn’t take much more time than Martian
colony and hardly any more time than previous ones.
Failing a battle would be rather as much my own fault than Inno’s fault. If you know how to
use the weakness of some units and the strengths of your own units it’s ver doable

meatorian

Farmer
At first, I didn't liked this new settlement at all, but maybe it isn't as bad as it seems.

The cost for roads is an added challange, but so far it didn't hindered me. For Japanese and Vikings, this modification was unnecessary. They were hard enough without this too. As for Egypt, Deben is not needed for production. It is needed for the fights (because of the units), but easy and medium can be beaten without heavy losses (I didn't tried hard yet as the loot from these two are plenty enough currently). I do not consider myself a good fighter yet I managed to win these with minimal losses. And if losses are minimal, the Deben used for recruiting is also minimal in opposition to Japanese and Vikings where production also needs the settlement currency. While reconstruction mode would help a lot, it isn't impossible to progress fairly without it. Mobile on the other hand is another topic. I honestly don't know, how to rearrange the settlement from it without serious disadvantages, so this is still a problem that should be addressed.

As for the impediments, it seems horrible at first sight, as no empty expansions are available excluding the starting area. But I had runs on Vikings and Japanese, where I got nearly zero empty expansions, and rock positions were horrible too. Yet I managed to finish them within the time frame (yes, I slept, I worked, and sometimes I forgot the whole settlement - maybe it was because I got lucky with 4x ?). There was only one or two run at the last stages of Vikings where I couldn't beat the first timer. Whereas we got removal tools for this, which can be used wisely to clean a big area in every run, resulting guaranteed expansions without impediments, and we can choose where they are. This was not possible in Vikings and Japanese and we had to live with the rocks if we weren't lucky with the initial arranging.

The training time of the army shocked me first too, but if you can minimise the losses, it shouldn't be a problem. Yes, manual battles are needed, maximum 3 a day. For those who cannot battle without autofight, this could be very challanging, but hey, autofight isn't meant to replace battles. If someone do autofights only because of the lack of success in manual battles and in negotiations, then maybe this game is not for her/him. And settlements are not required to play for progressing in the game. Or GVG should be removed, because many pepople do not like it? They simply ignore it as it isn't needed for progressing. Same with GE and GBG. This is a feature which can be used optionally.

But the 27 day long run could be a problem. If I screwed Japanese or Vikings, in the worst case I lost like 10 days of progress. Now if I have something urgent to do after 25 days and cannot finish it in time, I lose triple the time for this. Possible solution would be if settlements could be paused. While paused, it's not accessible but it isn't progressing and do not count the time.

As for the rewards, the Obelisk is a good SoK replacement, but it isn't necessarily worth the invested time. 4 perfect runs for one means nearly 4 month. It's way too long. The Bathhouse itself is not bad, but it definitely isn't something we should get for this hardcore settlement. I think some rebalancing would needed or not too many players will do this settlement if they have other things to do.

RoCoJo

Merchant
I really don't understand how people can already say that Egypt is unbalanced after only a couple of days.
It is like st. Patrick where the same was being said: it appeared to be possible to get a complete set after some (imho) clever guys figured out the way to victory. I guess in time this will happen for Egypt too. Till that time I will try it myself and will see how far I will come.

Current position: Quest 8
  1. Paying for roads ? We will see in the long run if it is unbalanced. It is another mechanic I will have to get used to. When I have played it to the end I will judge if it is unbalanced. But even then it could be that I missed a 'smart' solution which I didn't see.
  2. (More) impedients: They stand in my way (duh !). Do I like them: No ! Do I curse them: Yes. But they are part of the puzzle Inno made up for me to solve.
  3. Fighting to progress ? I am not a fighter myself, I rather bring my att/def up than starting using my brains on the problem. It's a challenge for me and will try to come as far as possible. Till now I manage fighting the easy and middle fight without losing too many troops
  4. Fighting to Progress means blocking people ? It sure does. (Some people also have problems with mastermind (or negotiation as Inno calls it) But that doesn't mean it must be changed. It just means that Egypt is not for everyone (On the live server not everybody plays GvG and/or GE till 64 and/or GSP.
  5. Time consumption ? Reasonable, most time goes into puzzling for the best layout (without selling roads offcourse ;) ) and thinking if I can do it more smart. (I quote myself from st Patricks comment: "It seems like some think that by logging in once a day for some minutes they will get their city up and running with the greatest rewards")
  6. Rewards good or bad ? It is (imho) always a matter of personal taste. So see if you go for it.
  7. Deben/loot: Currently under control. I was glad with the tips:
    1. Not to try the difficult fight to soon in the settlement but wait until you have stronger troops
    2. The global calculation how many loot in total was needed (smart !) which led to the conclusion that you don't need to do 3 fights every day)
  8. Too difficult: we will see in the end and then again: It might not everybody's cup of tea, so What ?!

FoE has changed a lot since I started playing 5/6 years ago. Some things changed for the better, some for the worse. It sure became more time consuming than it was. So I stopped at some worlds and I pick the parts I like and leave the things I don't. And if Inno invests a lot of money in new Settlements, in Events, which aren't played by the players because the are too much timeconsuming/fighty/hard/simple, in the end they have a problem. So I guess they will monitor the community not to lose them.
And the use of diamonds ? Well my bakery-shop around the corner doesn't sell their breads for free. So again : I guess they will monitor the community not to lose them.

Cheers !

PS: I see a lot of posts where "We" is being used where "I" is more correct to express an opinion. As long as the community isn't asked in a poll to learn about everybody's opinion, I hope those people will give their own opinion instead of a perceived global opinion. (Like this post is only my opinion.)

PS2 I will see to find the forum post as mentioned in 6.2 to credit the person who did the math.

Edit: I mean This post which was made by Xivarmy

Last edited:

DeletedUser10193

well I hate the negotiation in Japan..................................but I deal with it, I don't whine on because it doesn't suit my style of play, so I say to you and others of your ilk deal with it, as I have in your preferred style of play

The difference is; the negotiations are NOT mandatory. Sure, they help a lot, but you can just ignore them and still finish the settlement. There's no way to do that with Egypt and imo that is a BAD BAD BAD decision.

So just to make a suggestion: The way combat SHOULD work would be similar to how negotiations work in Japan; you can do 3 daily fights and they give you spoils of war: extra goods. There; fixed this settlement for you. Don't even need to pay me for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8743

But the 27 day long run could be a problem. If I screwed Japanese or Vikings, in the worst case I lost like 10 days of progress. Now if I have something urgent to do after 25 days and cannot finish it in time, I lose triple the time for this. Possible solution would be if settlements could be paused. While paused, it's not accessible but it isn't progressing and do not count the time.
If you don't finish in time, you just lose fragments of the Obelisk. Not a big loss IMO. The settlement requires 10 runs and the Obelisk only has 4 levels. So you can afford to miss the timed reward a couple times and still get 2 lvl 4 Obelisks.