• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

DeletedUser10017

I am a bit surprised that for what is aimed to be the most difficult settlement (which I welcome) that the reward is the least impactful of the three settlements...I’d like to see more of a payoff for the challenge and time

DeletedUser8887

It looks like the only way to get loot is through fighting. Is that right?

ArianX

Merchant
Back to cost of roads, for what I see in previous settlements, cost for roads has been added, Embassy now gives enough for 2 roads, and goods still cost settlement coins.
How exactly are those settlements can be now completed on time (not that I could finish Vikings on time ever, except maybe for first rounds).
I get that re-using code might be the reason, but the change should have balanced other aspect of the settlement, giving 400 coins that are enough for only two roads is a bad joke, I remember Vikings always lacking coins to run productions, now with golden-diamond roads I see it as impossible.
New players don't stand a chance to finish any settlement on time, if they ever do. How is that fair? If you weren't playing last year, you are punished? And if you were, well you already have the buildings and have no need to go through the frustrating process again. I remember the time when games were supposed to be fun.
I won't be playing Egypt so can't really comment on that, already discouraged, but seems if you do you have at least goods with no coin cost, guess I'll never know. I'm done with settlements that cannot be finished on time for a reward you know you won't get, Vikings was bad, now it's just impossible. Maybe Japan is more doable, but still. Changing older aspects of the game only to punish new players is just wrong.

DeletedUser8887

I may have worked myself into a no win situation. I need loot to produce goods. I get loot by fighting. I can't fight because I lost all my troops today and can only make two light troops without spending all my egyptian coins to open more training slots. I can't get better troops because I need to make goods to open those buildings. I can't make goods because I don't have loot. I can't get loot because I can't fight without troops. Is there anything I can do other than delete this and start over?

It's always disappointing to discover that the moron messing things up for me is me. lol

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I may have worked myself into a no win situation. I need loot to produce goods. I get loot by fighting. I can't fight because I lost all my troops today and can only make two light troops without spending all my egyptian coins to open more training slots. I can't get better troops because I need to make goods to open those buildings. I can't make goods because I don't have loot. I can't get loot because I can't fight without troops. Is there anything I can do other than delete this and start over?

It's always disappointing to discover that the moron messing things up for me is me. lol

Yea, I've been very protective of my unattacheds. Losing them would really hurt early on. I managed my first day's hard using 4 unattached + 4 attached and managed to make sure only 2 attached ones died (pretty much everything was bloodied though lol) :) Looking forward to seeing what different arrangements I get presented with in the next few days.

I've still got my medium to do from the first day - will attempt it before the reset.

At any rate back to your problem: You should be able to recover though it'll take longer than if you didn't have to. You've got some amount of coin production from huts + embassy which can get you back on the loot train - so will be able to unlock and train slots in your barracks as time permits. I'm not sure if aborting and restarting would make sense over trying to push through this hump you're stuck on - it might. I mean having 10 troops that take no city space will be a huge advantage all the way through no matter what (basically 2 free barracks) - so you might want to just go get them back with a restart and be more careful with them this time. If you were further along pushing through would probably make more sense (you'd have more space, could convert to as much coin production as possible.

doughster

Merchant
To those who know a little more about Ancient Egypt, bathhouses were actually important. In Egypt, cleanliness was important and most people bathed daily (a crazy stat for those times). Therefore, the bathhouse represents an important part of daily life for Egyptians. Sure, it's not as well known as pyramids or the sphinx, but it is still Egyptian.
There's already the Ornate Baths. Plus the Sphinx would look great on the layout - would really stand out from other bldgs. :)

CrashBoom

Legend
just wondering
why does the most difficult settlement (words of The Envoy) has the worst main reward building ?

8 FP on 12 squares = 0.67

other 2 have 1.0 and 0.89 FP per square

Heinrich IV

Merchant
On my first look on egypt culture I found it nice. I like the idea of fighting in the settlement. After some time I am starting to get blocked. I require to have the barracks for the units and this takes most of my coins. Caused by the barracks I do not have enough space for coin production buildings. So it would be requried to remove one or two barracks to build coin production but this would result in a loose of coins I invested in opening fighter slots. In addition I would loose the option of fighting resulting in no more progress in goods production.
I assume it is a problem of too bad fighting tactics. Actually it is getting more and more frustating to play the egypt settlement.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Because of the units it produces as well.

The problem with the units it produces is they're not controllable at all. 8 units you want a day would be like 8 more traz levels and a justification for less FP. 8 random units... can't be rogues, and you typically want only 1-2 types of units from your current age at any time (you may use more, but most are not in short supply)

The 8 units would be good for a newish city but will be lost in the noise for most fully developed cities unless they're the siege/DA person for their guild. And even then not so impressive.

That said, even as the weakest of the 3 buildings (which it most certainly is), it's still better than event stuff to this point - so it's worth having. I'll keep my hunch that they intentionally made it not as good as the others so the "hardest" one is also the most optional.

Umbrathor

Baronet
Played through Egyptian settlement for one day and I get stuck regularly. First it was because I didn't understand why my Grain farms would't work: I needed the loot you gain from battles. Then it was because I cannot produce troops fast enough to win those battles, and now it is because I cannot add the required two Divine statues (sfinxes) without deleting either a much-needed Grain farm (which isn't working because I am out of loot) or barracks (which I need to make troops to win the battles for loot). The unattached troops you get early on allowed me to win one battle. I can win more, if I sacrifice at least part of my troops. Doing that will cripple my change of further progress. It seems the only way to make real headway, is by restarting the settlement several times to build up an army of unattached troops, and then actually playing it through. That seems like a waste of time though and clearly was not intended.

So I won one battle, which allowed me to have my two grain factories run for 12h each. The harvest of the first 4h allowed me to expand twice, then this morning I had enough to build two barracks and build 1 troop each. That's nowhere near enough to win the two remaining battles. All this time my grain factories have been dormant because of lack of loot. That is no fun.

So why make it take 4 hours to build the barracks and troops? If that had been faster, I would have had a chance to actually progress.

The Obelisks are excellent, better than the secondary rewards from Vikings (rune stones). The main reward is fairly meh. Units? I get those from the emissaries from Vikings and Japan, and from the dojos. I seldom lose units since I play manyually, so no use for 8 extra per day.

An emissary that gives fp's is always good, and one that gives two units is obviously an improvement. Hoever, I very much doubt whether I will try playing this settlement through in the current form. I hate getting stuck.

Last edited:

Umbrathor

Baronet
Making roads cost money means that puzzling out new configurations is getting expensive, since you cannot just delete roads and bunch up the buildings to try out a better configuration. If you were to add an option to resturcture the settlement by putting buildings in a temp storage like Reconstruction mode, Without such an option, roads should not cost coins.

EDIT: moving this to the feedback thread for roads. Thanks for letting me know about that Dudetta!

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Played through Egyptian settlement for one day and I get stuck regularly. First it was because I didn't understand why my Grain farms would't work: I needed the loot you gain from battles. Then it was because I cannot produce troops fast enough to win those battoles, and now it is because I cannot add the required two Divine statues (sfinxes) without deleting either a much-needed Grain farm (which isn't working because I am out of loot) or barracks (which I need to make troops to win the battles for loot). The unattached troops you get early on allowed me to win one battle. I can win more, if I sacrifice at least part of my troops. Doing that will cripple my change of further progress. It eems the only way to make real headway, is by restarting the settlement several times to build up an army of unattached troops, and then actually playing it through. That seems like a waste of time though and clearly was not intended.

I'd assume you lose your unattached troops on restarting the settlement. You'll get a new set of course, but be unable to stock them up.

That said, I did all 3 battles my first day now. I lost none on the easy, 3 attached on the medium, and 2 attached on the hard. I still have all 10 unattached. I'll need more experience with different battles to know if I was just fortunate but if there are fights that are too hard, you can always dismiss them in the early days rather than throw away all your troops.

My grain farm has enough loot to run for days (I need to start up a 2nd one soon probably). And I have over half my starting coins still.

Umbrathor

Baronet
even if they are not mentioned the unattached troops are sure also a resource that will be reset
Quite possible. Inno, can you confirm please? I am still contemplating how to proceed: abort and restart, to build up an army if that works, or use up the unattached ones if they reset anyway. I hate losing unattached units normally. Or just scrap it and forget about this type of settlement. Which I don't like to do: I did play through Japan and Vikings on every world I play on. The flow of play is bad on this settlement though.

Umbrathor

Baronet
I'd assume you lose your unattached troops on restarting the settlement. You'll get a new set of course, but be unable to stock them up.

That said, I did all 3 battles my first day now. I lost none on the easy, 3 attached on the medium, and 2 attached on the hard. I still have all 10 unattached. I'll need more experience with different battles to know if I was just fortunate but if there are fights that are too hard, you can always dismiss them in the early days rather than throw away all your troops.

My grain farm has enough loot to run for days (I need to start up a 2nd one soon probably). And I have over half my starting coins still.
Ah, so you play with one grain farm only? Maybe that is what is intended. That is slow progress in it's own way as well... but it might allow one to play on slowly and continually. I'll try that.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Ah, so you play with one grain farm only? Maybe that is what is intended. That is slow progress in it's own way as well... but it might allow one to play on slowly and continually. I'll try that.

Ultimately atm I'm playing on the suspicion that the settlement will be bound primarily by the rate of loot acquisition. I plan to increase goods buildings to use up a stockpile later in my run but as long as I can keep doing the fights there's no rush to convert the loot to goods in a hurry at the start.