• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Rejected Increase the challenge at Side Quests, at least once per Era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
To increase challenge level, at least once per Era, and Player satisfaction.
Details
See above at Proposed.
Balance
Requirements of quest must be balanced by era.
Abuse Prevention
No abuse issues detected.
Summary
To insert at each Age (just to new ages? or also edit current requirements at one side quest at Eras already released) new Side Quests (abortable) that raise the challenge to the Player and require more mind / strategy effort that simply wait to city collection to complete the spend or pay X of this resource or complete N battles without losing.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
Yes, not find any duplicates or similar ides. DSNSL reviewed, no conflicts here.
Current: Most of the quests at the game are just menial boring everyday tasks, no real challenge after a while in the game. Some asks for things that the player does not really needs or be aligned to the Player's strategy and ends as resources wasting in build or doing things to get demolished after the quest is done. Quest reward does little to compensate resources invested. Examples:
  • Build N houses (Really I have thousands or millions of extra population at the moment).
  • Raise Happiness by X (My Happiness level is over 1200 and have XX,XXX or more extra from Alcatraz and others.)
  • Spend Y FPs (Yeah, take that Y FP Swap thread, or finish unlocking that Research, 3 seconds work and done, No challenge).
  • Defeat X units.
  • more examples can be mentioned.
Very few quests do really require the Player to think how to solve it and set an strategy to get it done. At the most, the greater side quests challenge is to hold the Player until city collection time to complete a Collect X coins or y supplies, not a mind challenging tasks.

Proposed: Increase challenge level of one Side Quest per Era, that really put the Player to think how to complete the requirement. Three of the current quests that stands out from the menial, easy, every day tasks mentioned earlier are listed below:

• Industrial Age Era: A Real Challenge :
    • Rinbin: Your Grace! Are you up for a real challenge? Well, I am. Let's play a game - I bet you can't do this!
    • Have exactly 1997 population available.
  • Modern Era: A New Challenge:
    • Rinbin: Your Grace! I have another challenge for you, so you don't get bored!
    • Have exactly 6750 population available.
  • There is another by Fernicus the Architect that requires to have exactly 0 population available. was looking for it but could not find it.
New or edited side quests to increase challenge level does not have to be always related to population, but to bring another task other than simply collect x of this resource, spend y of that resource.

As all Side Quests, these new/edited quests to be abortable.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Kids play of solving puzzles are referred as challenging nowadays.
Well, the feedback given was that current Side quests are already too challenging for new or low era players, so they would need "kid level puzzles" for avoid complaints the Challenges Im proposing be too high for them???

Puzzles, Riddles, mini games do have different level of difficulty, If the riddles like the ones used before at Halloween Event 2015 and others are "too easy" "kids level" then the developers can come up with others more suitable for new / low era players and raise gradually the difficulty level as ages progress.

Solving the puzzles and after that what you do with new side quest which got introduced.
My proposal is for add or edit just one Side Quest per Era. It is up to the developers to choose which Side Quest to modify. No matter in which order the modified side quest is presented the game continues as usual and will present the Player the next quest programmed after the modified one is completed.

To finish the quest, as always the Player has to complete whatever the quest instructions task him/her to do.
  • If it is a riddle/puzzle, figure out what the riddle/puzzle means, do the task, the quest is completed, reward is collected and the game present the Player the next quest programmed.
  • If the modified quest is a mini game, play the mini game, get a victory in the mini game, quest completes, collect reward, and game continues as usual presenting the next programmed quest.
No more modified quests until next era.

Are you saying, bringing the side quest with riddles are the proposed idea as saying "increase more challenge on the side quest". Please clarify.
Using riddles is one of several options that the developers can use to provide the mind challenge, Im asking, not to raise the level of resources (coins, FPs, supplies, tavern silver, etc) to be invested in solving the quest. As said before riddles can be easy "kid level", or moderate or highly difficult. I leave to the developers decision how difficult they should be. Also if difficult level should start "easy" at fist and gradually increase as ages progress.

Other option is use of minigames which can be configure also at easy, moderate or difficult level.

nice2haveu

Baronet
Sorry for typo error, thanks for clarifying it. It should be "than" not "that"

Raise the challenge to the Player and require more mind / strategy effort than simply wait to city collection to complete the spend or pay X of this resource or complete N battles without losing.
No more changes rite. Now it is worst than before. Simply trying to get rid of time killing quest in the game by introducing mind quest. Idea to make the game easier. Even if it is difficult, person can ask help from guild or friends, if there mind doesn't pick it. Or they can google it or ask in the official community. Don't you see the absurdness in the given idea. @drakenridder , you are too supporting the same still?

No more changes rite. Now it is worst than before. Simply trying to get rid of time killing quest in the game by introducing mind quest. Idea to make the game easier. Even if it is difficult, person can ask help from guild or friends, if there mind doesn't pick it. Or they can google it or ask in the official community. Don't you see the absurdness in the given idea. @drakenridder , you are too supporting the same still?
Making the game easier?
Not to make the game easier. For one thing adding a challenge to the mind, that can be easy, moderate or hard as developers choice, and then the result of the riddle could be still building the same X number of building of Y type, or of a given era that the unmodified quest had. I'm not asking challenge to be in the form of increasing the X number, is adding something to force the player to think a strategy to solve the quest, by means of a riddle, puzzle, mini game or others options.

So, From current straight forward quest instruction lead to "simply wait to city collection";
Change to: solve a riddle, puzzle, logical or math problem, or win a minigame; and the result of the first part reveal what is needed to do to complete the quest which can be "simply wait to city collection".
Not making the game easier, it is adding something extra that requires thinking and apply a strategy.

Asking other for help to solve the side quest?
That happens now with current quests of all types, people don't understand the quest instructions and ask questions.
Example,
  • Question: Hey, I got a quest is asking me to produce Steaks? How I do that?
  • Answer: Build a Butcher, and select the production cycle for Steaks.
  • Question: A Butcher?
  • Answer: It is a supplies production building, check the Build menu, If it is not there you need to research the corresponding tech first.
What you suppose me or the developers can do to avoid players asking others how to solve a quest?
  • Include a new game rule that prohibits helping players who don't understand how to do a quest?
  • Ban players who help others by answering questions?
  • Remove Message System?
  • Shutdown the Forum?
  • Repeal freedom of speech rights?

Last edited:

nice2haveu

Baronet
What you suppose me or the developers can do to avoid players asking others how to solve a quest?
  • Include a new game rule that prohibits helping players who don't understand how to do a quest?
  • Ban players who help others by answering questions?
  • Remove Message System?
  • Shutdown the Forum?
  • Repeal freedom of speech rights?
When did I supposed you this which am not even aware of it?

nice2haveu

Baronet
you tried every possible way to put your argument. I liked that discussion mentality. But idea is not suitable. Until you bring up new idea, am ready to discuss over and over on this, but my point is strongly valid may be you didn't accept. Yours myself didn't accept. Both no need to be compromised. Have fun!!

When did I supposed you this which am not even aware of it?

You wrote:
Even if it is difficult, person can ask help from guild or friends, if there mind doesn't pick it. Or they can google it or ask in the official community. Don't you see the absurdness in the given idea. @drakenridder , you are too supporting the same still?

My idea of raising challenge is absurd because the player can ask for help? Then current quests are absurb too.

I dont mind if a player can not solve a riddle by himself and ask others for help. To use his/her brain includes use the knowledge available to the Player, past experiences, study instructions & data provided by the quest, minigame rules/strategy/tips. If still not solving the riddle/puzzle then research at other sources, internet, FOE Wiki, FOE Forum, friends, guildmates.

Same as with current quests, Players get help from others to overcome current quests challenges:
  • if the Player needs to for one example Gather YYY Goods and he/she does not have enough from goods production buildings collection... the player can negotiate a unfair trade with a guildmate and get 200 EMA or HMA for just 100 Wine.
  • If a quest ask to win X battles, and the player army is so weak that seems impossible to achieve that, the player can negotiate with a hood member to change his/her DA to just 2 Spear Fighters in exchange of X FPs to be paid to a GB selected by the hood member.
  • If a quest asks to Spend X FPs a guildmate can help by opening a new level at a GB for the FPs be used there.
So, why my idea is absurd if current game is similar. Are you saying that FOE is absurd?

nice2haveu

Baronet
Are you saying FOE is not absurd?
Myself enjoy playing the game because of it.
How come an answer to the question itself become as a question. This myself cannot do with my wife. It will be bad day if it happens like that. Anyways, you helped me not to type big reply for it.

@nice2haveu

Clarify your statement then:
" Even if it is difficult, person can ask help from guild or friends, if there mind doesn't pick it. Or they can google it or ask in the official community. Don't you see the absurdness in the given idea. @drakenridder , you are too supporting the same still? "

What is the absurdity you see in the idea? Why connect "person can ask help from guild or friends," with calling my idea absurd?
(if some people need to ask help from others to solve the challenge added by the developers, then they would had met my request, to increase (a bit) the challenge of one Side Quest per era)
People can ask in the game right now help from others to solve a quest. Then, you think the current challenge or difficulty of the game is absurd? YES or No?
If the current game challenge/difficulty is not absurd by allowing ways to get help from others, why is the idea absurd by allowing players do something they can do right now?

@ SlytherinAttack
I like this game, I dont think it is absurd, I have enjoyed this game from the year it hit live servers and have continued playing it for all this time.

Last edited:

nice2haveu

Baronet
@nice2haveu

Clarify your statement then:
" Even if it is difficult, person can ask help from guild or friends, if there mind doesn't pick it. Or they can google it or ask in the official community. Don't you see the absurdness in the given idea. @drakenridder , you are too supporting the same still? "

What is the absurdity you see in the idea? Why connect "person can ask help from guild or friends," with calling my idea absurd?
(if some people need to ask help from others to solve the challenge added by the developers, then they would had met my request, to increase (a bit) the challenge of one Side Quest per era)
People can ask in the game right now help from others to solve a quest. Then, you think the current challenge or difficulty of the game is absurd? YES or No?
If the current game challenge/difficulty is not absurd by allowing ways to get help from others, why is the idea absurd by allowing players do something they can do right now?

@ SlytherinAttack
I like this game, I dont think it is absurd, I have enjoyed this game from the year it hit live servers and have continued playing it for all this time.
Bringing puzzle, mini game or some other challenging way in side quest to give mind work. Dev's will put their hard effort, all it can do for the players is to ask help outside means Dev's efforts for making challenge is gone. If you are not calling absurd, I don't mind. For me, it is just a waste of effort for Dev's to bring that, hence pointed as absurd. Got clarified?

Bringing puzzle, mini game or some other challenging way in side quest to give mind work. Dev's will put their hard effort, all it can do for the players is to ask help outside means Dev's efforts for making challenge is gone. If you are not calling absurd, I don't mind. For me, it is just a waste of effort for Dev's to bring that, hence pointed as absurd. Got clarified?
Dev's have put mini games in events, riddles in events, logical / math problems solving in side quests (examples at the first post), Dev's have put their hard effort, all it can do for the players is to ask help outside means Dev's efforts for making challenge in the current game is gone?

What is the difference?

Last edited:

nice2haveu

Baronet
Dev's efforts for making challenge in the current game is gone?
Why replicate side quests with events. What will be the difference.

Now side quest, next daily challenge, next continent map and GBG and GE too. Everywhere bringing riddles, minigame etc... Okay carry on. Am against this idea from the beginning and stays same for it.

Replicate side quests with events?
Events are just a series of quests in a given order and available from a start date until a set end date. Events have quests asking the Player the same things the game ask in regular quests, or side quests, or any other area of the game. Event asks for Collect or Spend Coins, Supplies, Goods, Tavern Silver, FPs, Win battles, complete negotiations, increase happiness, build X of this, find Incidents, trade in Auction Dealer etc,. etc, etc.

Minigames are not exclusive of events, Settlements have those two, Settlements have quests too. Where is written that minigames can not be in other areas of the game like in side quests?

Are not you supporting an idea at the Discussion Forum to mix Battles with Research Tree Technology unlocking? Why replicate battles in an area of the game that never had battles before? Why you find ok mixing Battles with Research Tree Technology unlocking and but absurd to mix a mini game with Side Quests? Your logic is not consistent.

If your opinion, decisions, and vote with this idea are set, and will stay as they are no mater what; then leave the floor to carry on with others that wish to comment in favor or against the idea.

Last edited:

nice2haveu

Baronet
Are not you supporting an idea at the Discussion Forum to mix Battles with Research Tree Technology unlocking? Why replicate battles in an area of the game that never had battles before? Why you find ok mixing Battles with Research Tree Technology unlocking and but absurd to mix a mini game with Side Quests? Your logic is not consistent.
Ha ha. Your idea is meaningless. Hence not supported. But in reasearch tree, having battles, you cannot ask help from anyone. You have to do the battles on your own. ( Can argue like which unit to beat opponents also to be asked, but still boost play a role ). But Riddles are just like a passing cloud, no use if one person in the guild finds out and posted it, entire guild knows easily. More challenging effort of Dev's, gone like anything. Also bringing mini game in the side quest is like extreme changes. Dev's can bring some new mini game to some events instead of changing the side quest, which will be most recommended by most players ( hope I can include you also in it).

Many players already crossed so many ages, they might missed few side quests. Just assume like, one player in future era finished all side quests and doing recurring quests only. Now idea implemented, so player finished all side quests already and until new era comes up they cannot see the side quests which is implemented. Or players get a chance of new side quests with recurring quests too in the future era. Unnecessary effort of handling the players era to load the given idea whichever approach Dev's decided.

Big No from me as always.

Ha ha. Your idea is meaningless. Hence not supported.
A mere 2 votes difference or 3.8% at the moment does not mean not supported. Come back later if you see votes at 70% vs 30% or similar.

But in research tree, having battles, you cannot ask help from anyone.
Player 1: Does anyone knows a good units combination to defeat an army of X Heavy, Y Artillery and Z Ranged in the Colonial Era Continent Map?
Player 2: Sure, I just use this combo: ... and remember to drink your attack potion bottles if you need extra %attack.
Player 1: Thanks.
Player 2: Remember to take out the Artillery and Ranged 1st and leave the Heavies for the end. If you need more help with battles there are some battle strategy guidelines at the FOE forums, plus check videos at You Tube. Any other help just ask. ;)

Also bringing mini game in the side quest is like extreme changes.
Isn't mixing Research Tree Technology unlocking and battle an extreme change? Besides, the side quest just needs to read: "Complete 1 victory at the X minigame." the game will detect when the victory is done and then the quest is completed. Same like quests asking for complete X number of encounters at GE.
Many players already crossed so many ages,
For those players the implemented idea will bring the new side at the eras they have not completed yet. In my case starting from in the SAJ era. For many other Players, who have more eras still in their future then they will see more, again one per era.

Unnecessary effort of handling the players era to load the given idea whichever approach Dev's decided.
Developers group many changes, bugs fixes, improvements in every release they make, the download would be useful not only to get this idea implemented.

Last edited:

nice2haveu

Baronet
A mere 2 votes difference or 3.8% at the moment does not mean not supported. Come back later if you see votes at 70% vs 30% or similar.

Player 1: Does anyone knows a good units combination to defeat an army of X Heavy, Y Artillery and Z Ranged in the Colonial Era Continent Map?
Player 2: Sure, I just use this combo: ... and remember to drink your attack potion bottles if you need extra %attack.
Player 1: Thanks.
Player 2: Remember to take out the Artillery and Ranged 1st and leave the Heavies for the end. If you need more help with battles there are some battle strategy guidelines at the FOE forums, plus check videos at You Tube. Any other help just ask. ;)

Isn't mixing Research Tree Technology unlocking and battle an extreme change? Besides, the side quest just needs to read: "Complete 1 victory at the X minigame." the game will detect when the victory is done and then the quest is completed. Same like quests asking for complete X number of encounters at GE.

For those players the implemented idea will bring the new side at the eras they have not completed yet. In my case starting from in the SAJ era. For many other Players, who have more eras still in their future then they will see more, again one per era.

Developers group many changes, bugs fixes, improvements in every release they make, the download would be useful not only to get this idea implemented.
So idea is not complete. Even though some players are in latest era, missing of side quests from earlier era since it only looks forward. Why to have this calamity. As said earlier (a week ago), idea should brought into the game with perfect coverage/balance, it should not give chances to open conversation like below,
Devs - you advanced to new era, our idea helps you from new era only.
Player1 - did you guys considered it like 'abort by default' on the older era?
Dev's - Ofcourse.
Player1 - why are you guys making me feel bad, new player entered into the game and joined my guild, and if that player asked me side quest from colonial age and myself staying in SAM, you want me to reply like a manager,
"That was a good question" and no clue about it, since have not seen those side quest.
Devs - !?!?!?!?!?
Player1 - please make some improvement to the game instead making us feel bad. Looks like "making us feeling bad" is going on top notch and "improvement to the game" getting tossed up very rarely.

You are expecting 70% positive vote, myself likes your confidence. Anyways, shockingly if it happens, wil be proud myself to stay on the 30% with my understanding of the game.

In this game the Player cant go back to an era that he/she has already completed, or to any point in the sequence of quests that he/she already have done. That means that for some Players this idea will impact less than others that may happen to be starting the game, or at an early era. So what? Some ideas benefits more to Players that are near the end of the timeline, others don't, this one don't. Good for the idea to be able to benefit more the earlier players than the oldest ones (like me).

Developers can choose to implement the idea just at new eras. They can choose to edit one Side Quest at each era, it is their choice. One choice making you feeling bad? Sorry about that, the same choice may make 70% of the Players feel really good. Not the first change that is welcome by a large group but not by another.

Yes, I keep confidence that at the end the balance will be positive to the idea. And by no means quitting / throwing the towel for just a momentary 3% or 4% behind in the votes, a mere 2 votes difference.

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
Some ideas benefits more to Players that are near the end of the timeline, others don't, this one don't. Good for the idea to be able to benefit more the earlier players than the oldest ones
It's my personal opinion to avoid this idea, since few get benefits much and few gets benefits less according to their current progress in the game (felt like idea not having balanced nature). If Devs decided to leave the older (latest era) players for this idea, then nothing to discuss more from my side.
***********************END***********************

Status
Not open for further replies.