• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Speedup of Early Eras test

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
logo.png

Dear Kings and Queens,
On Monday, July 17th, we are applying some changes to the early game for some players.

This is the place to be if you have any questions about it or would like to discuss it with other players.
Please keep in mind that your opinion may differ from the opinions of other players, you don't have to convince each other of anything here. :)

We appreciate your feedback!

Please write your feedback in a factual and constructive way and stay on topic.
So that we can pass your feedback on to the developers, the following points would be important to note:

• Asking "Why am I not included in the test?" is not helpful. The players included are selected randomly.
  • Feedback that only contains one sentence like "Harder, better, faster, stronger!" is also not helpful. Please make sure to include reasons for your opinion.
  • The same goes for positive feedback. We are happy about it of course, but describing what exactly you like is always very helpful!
  • Limit your feedback to the actual content. Feedback like "You should improve X" or feedback that refers to other game content or previous events is not helpful.
  • Questions that ask when it will be released on the live server will not be answered. We always announce it in time there.
  • Don't report any bugs here. Please use the bugs forum.
  • Use the "Like" button if another player has already reflected your opinion well.
Thank you very much and have fun!

Sincerely,
Your Forge of Empires Team

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Seriously? If any eras need a speed up it's AF+OF.

All the extra FP and stuff in the game speed up the early eras enough anyways - you make like 100 FP a day from the start now if you want to. 200+ after one event. People are always trying to tell early players to slow down.

I don't really see it as causing a problem, I just don't get what the point would be.

I *can* see a point of reducing the coin and supply costs of buildings in those eras, because frequently players are moving so fast they can't afford to rebuild their cities with better buildings.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I'd add that particularly making these speedups only up to colonial will create one hell of a wall when the players involved hit the end of the "new tutorial". Scouting times are already pretty fast in those eras, but then jump to close to 1d not much later. So a new player is playing along, enjoying rather fast progress and then suddenly gets hit by "no, this isn't really meant to be that fast a game, we just decided to turbo-boost the first 6 ages to try and hook you and then hit you immediately with a massive discontinuity when you reach eras with the old balance instead!" as opposed to it sneaking up on you.

And again, OF is where a scouting speedup is most needed with its 100ish provinces!

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
Which features are moved to which technology? It’ll be helpful to know for feedback
This is actually one I can inform you about, all the other details are just way too much. ^^
Featureold technew tech
Daily ChallengesMilitia (Iron Age)Archery (Iron Age)
Reconstruction ModeMathematics (Iron Age)Stock Breeding (Iron Age)
Guild Battlegrounds and PvP FightsMilitary Tactics (Iron Age)Chain of Command (Iron Age)
Cultural SettlementsPlowing (Iron Age)Economics (Early Middle Age)
Antiques DealerEconomics (Early Middle Age)Crossbows (High Middle Age)
PvP ArenaMercenaries (Early Middle Age)Biology (Late Middle Age)
Mughal EmpireHigher Education (Late Middle Age)Apartment Houses (Late Middle Age)
AztecsColonies (Colonial Age)Elite Forces (Colonial Age)

This is actually one I can inform you about, all the other details are just way too much. ^^
Featureold technew tech
Daily ChallengesMilitia (Iron Age)Archery (Iron Age)
Reconstruction ModeMathematics (Iron Age)Stock Breeding (Iron Age)
Guild Battlegrounds and PvP FightsMilitary Tactics (Iron Age)Chain of Command (Iron Age)
Cultural SettlementsPlowing (Iron Age)Economics (Early Middle Age)
Antiques DealerEconomics (Early Middle Age)Crossbows (High Middle Age)
PvP ArenaMercenaries (Early Middle Age)Biology (Late Middle Age)
Mughal EmpireHigher Education (Late Middle Age)Apartment Houses (Late Middle Age)
AztecsColonies (Colonial Age)Elite Forces (Colonial Age)
I didn't like it, the context of unlocking these searches now doesn't have it. Nothing to do with the Aztec settlement not being in the colonies anymore and the AD being in crossbows

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
I didn't like it, the context of unlocking these searches now doesn't have it. Nothing to do with the Aztec settlement not being in the colonies anymore and the AD being in crossbows
I would say some fit worse, but some actually fit better (like Cultural Settlements with Economics)

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
A couple possible alternatives trying to stay close to where they got stuffed atm:

Antique Dealer: Quality Products (HMA) - need quality products to last long enough to be antique!
PvP Arena: Great Swords (LMA) - who doesn't love a good sword-fighting tournament!

Demeter7

Squire
In my opinion, this is a VERY bad idea. In this game, new players often move up too fast already. They suffer because their city is not prepared for the higher levels. Many players have deleted and started over when they realize they made this mistake. The best way to grow a strong city is to do it slowly.

More advanced players might be able to handle moving up faster, such as making a city in a new world. But that is only because the know how to handle it. Advanced players already know how to advance quickly if they want to.

qaccy

Emperor
Sounds like a good idea to me. Buildings in higher ages are better than lower ages. The sooner a player reaches those better buildings, the better for them. More space from extra expansions as well.

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not this is the start of a full-game revamp, with ages beyond Colonial receiving adjustments as well at some point in the future after the dust settles here. Time will tell.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
@Juber thanks that’s really helpful. At 1st glance it. Except maybe for cultural settlements. What happens to those who don’t have unlocked economics and are already in a settlement?

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Features that were already unlocked should stay unlocked
Creates an interesting "legacy" situation where an old world can enjoy all the unlocked features earlier while new players have to advance further.

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest - it's probably not a big deal for a "normal" world that won't stay that low for long anyways. But plausible some niches may exist that makes a legacy iron/ema camp strategically interesting from some angle, yet not an option to non-legacies.

ADSL

Squire
@Juber you write about the epochs from the Iron Age to the Colonial Era. And will any changes in technology affect the Bronze Age?

Ironrooster

Baronet
From what I see of the changes, t looks okay.

One thing I would suggest (if it's not already the case) is to give each of the story quests a non fighting option or an abort option.

Currently my trading city is stopped at the Promises quest since the only option is to win 5 battles without losing. Be nice to have an alternative - say win 5 negotiations without losing