• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Regarding Recent Feedback

Owl II

Emperor
Who are "we"? It sounds like everyone hates the PvP Arena. But just because many high end players don't enjoy it does not mean it is not liked. I don't know details, but I would guess it was planned as a features aimed at especially beginners and mid-progressed players. I play it on a new world on a regular basis and together with gbg it provides some amazing rewards to progress faster in the game.
Everyone hates the PVP arena because all the players wanted to have something exciting, corresponding to the name. We were given sad trash instead. If Inno regards it as a success that the players perform battles there for the ranking and for quests, then we're going down the development has no prospects

CrashBoom

Legend
Everyone hates the PVP arena
hate: a really big emotion

but the truth would be more like:
people don't care about it

If Inno regards it as a success that the players perform battles there for the ranking and for quests
in a feature that allows only fighting players perfom battles is indeed success

the opposite would be:
everyone ignoring that feature would be a failure

Amdira

Baronet
Everyone hates the PVP arena because all the players wanted to have something exciting, corresponding to the name. We were given sad trash instead. If Inno regards it as a success that the players perform battles there for the ranking and for quests, then we're going down the development has no prospects
If that would be true, the ranking list in the pvp-arena would be empty, but it isn't. So you are speaking for "everyone" and "all players"? Just tell me how pls :)

Owl II

Emperor
hate: a really big emotion

but the truth would be more like:
people don't care about it

in a feature that allows only fighting players perfom battles is indeed success

the opposite would be:
everyone ignoring that feature would be a failure

You masterfully pull phrases out of context, as always

Owl II

Emperor
What are the players waiting for from PVP? Emotions. The ability to build an impenetrable defense. Pick up an army that will still break this defense. Cause victory on the last move with one wounded unit. Everything that PVP towers were before new combat features and the ability to raise an attack for it appeared in the game. What have we been given in the new PVP? Well.. we can beat bots 10 times a day. Hell, I even hit it sometimes. When I need to urgently make a quest for battles, and GBG is closed and carbon exploration will not end soon. Or when a red mark caught my eye. That's the difference. And if we are talking about ratings, then I have already said above that in my world 3,500 players play in the top 100 guilds. There are 2,800 entries in the PVP arena ranking. But Inno rates this as a success. That says it all.

Owl II

Emperor
And we see this approach in everything. In all new developments. Most of players chew, swallow and don't mumble. So everything is fine. But such that your eyes are burning, so that you want to dismiss everything and let the game capture you completely. So that you would like to pay for it and continue.. There is no such thing. And it won't be with the existing approach. No, I read some of the players suggestions and discussions with full seriousness - and it becomes clear why Inno is skeptical about our reviews. But it is also wrong basing decisions on the behavior of players. The development team needs an expert. Not CM which is the transfer link. Namely, someone inside who knows the game in detail and is able to set tasks for development.

Amdira

Baronet
Of course there is no "real" 1vs1 pvp as even I would interprete pvp. Just calling this what is being offered as pvp is a bit misleading, I admit. BUT even if Inno would be able to program "real" pvp as we know from other games, it wouldn't fit into a free browser game, as it would need a quite higher equipment as most players are able or willing to invest into a free browser game. I've been playing WoW and other mmorpgs with "real" pvp for many years and without the newest computer and upgrading it at least every 6 months you won't have the performance needed to play it comfortably. Thus you cannot implement such features into a free browser game, which is being played by many with much lower performance (I was playing FoE until some months on an very old computer with only 1GBRAM and it worked some way). Just because top players are having high end technology, because most of them are also playing other games which need much higher ressources, doesn't mean Inno should implement a feature which would exclude lots (yes, the majority) of players.
If someone wants to do "real" pvp, there are many games offering it - FoE isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I don't hate the PvE Arena. I don't like it either, but have found the rewards to be marginally worth the effort, since it really doesn't take much time each day to complete crystal league and stay around #100.

Viking settlement now, that I hate but still complete it in each city for Yggdrasil. I also hate the Mughal and Aztec settlements, and won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

So I guess that there are two take-aways there.
1, there are some things players will do in game if the reward justifies the suffering, and
2, just because the statistics show players using a feature doesn't necessarily mean that they don't hate the feature.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I don't hate the PvE Arena. I don't like it either, but have found the rewards to be marginally worth the effort, since it really doesn't take much time each day to complete crystal league and stay around #100.

Viking settlement now, that I hate but still complete it in each city for Yggdrasil. I also hate the Mughal and Aztec settlements, and won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

So I guess that there are two take-aways there.
1, there are some things players will do in game if the reward justifies the suffering, and
2, just because the statistics show players using a feature doesn't necessarily mean that they don't hate the feature.

I found PvP Arena a pointless addition in all my worlds that were established before it came out... I didn't rage over it too much because I could just ignore it. It made some resources for minimal effort, but it wasn't fun and I already made lots of resources. I tried to do it for spells but then inevitably would find myself booted out because I'd forgotten about it for 2 weeks :p

But when they released a new world last year and I started there, I found PvP arena to be both rewarding and interesting there. It was rewarding because at the start of a new world you don't get a whole lot of resources, and it was interesting because troops aren't limitless. You want to do more fights and climb up for the monthly milestones, but can't be losing troops left and right to do it.

---

Incidentally I also hate settlements but felt the need to take advantage of them on the new world - I did Egypt first (no regrets). Working on Vikings now (5 runs down, 10 more runs to go, already regretting it - but I really want that tree!)

Owl II

Emperor
Well, hate is a really strong emotion for such nonsense in general. I personally have come to terms with we were given this trash instead of an interesting feature. And it is true some dull things are done only because of the prizes. Even a lot of dull things are done just to get a prize. But.. but.. It's a game. There must be something fun here. Interesting. Something to put up with dreary settlements for. Or not? What are we still here for?

Well, hate is a really strong emotion for such nonsense in general. I personally have come to terms with we were given this trash instead of an interesting feature. And it is true some dull things are done only because of the prizes. Even a lot of dull things are done just to get a prize. But.. but.. It's a game. There must be something fun here. Interesting. Something to put up with dreary settlements for. Or not? What are we still here for?
OK, how about loathe or despise then? Either of those could be substituted in place of hate in my post above if you prefer. I'm OK with that.

As to why we are still here... for me it is in the increasingly vain hope that fun can be put back into the game. Much of the older core game is still fun, but not much of the newer stuff. Plus there are the friendships made.

Thunderdome

Emperor
I found PvP Arena a pointless addition in all my worlds that were established before it came out
The only time I would care for PVP Arena would be for cannon fodder when an event or daily quest asks for winning X battles or killing X units and I ran out of fights in GE (completed all 64), GbG (when my attrition hits 50-51, haha), or the neighborhood (when I know who's packing a full team and I hit them). Other times, it's just a "meh".

Hmm, maybe that's where Inno gets their "statistics" from, eh? Hey Inno, you may want to go further than just an event when gathering scores of your so-called "source". Myself, I prefer feedback and reviews to know what's going on so I can get on it to remedy the situation. Okay, I better lay the fingers to rest as my Quality Assurance and Testing side is trying to surface to take over the best of me, lol.

mcbluefire

Baronet
@Juber For the announcement coming out next week (possibly), please tell me it is not going to be a promise to ensure next year's age is not going to be another copy and paste. While it would be good to have a "promise" it will probably go over like a lead balloon.

We need something this year, in the next few weeks or couple of months, even if it is just a GB that means something to folks in SAJM. Bonuses to help people "catch up faster" should also provide an avenue for existing players to grow faster as well. Technically I don't see the bonus of the new GB as more than a marginal advantage for players who haven't entered AF yet. I honestly don't see any excitement over trimming a couple days off the time to get through those ages. I tracked how long I spent in those ages and in VF-SAV I also tracked how long it took me to complete the research, and frankly it is nothing to have angst over:
AgeStarted Date (2021)Finished Research Date (2021)Time Researching
AF4/27Built up supplies and goods for a while
OF6/4
VF9/39/2219 days
SAM9/2410/82 weeks
SAAB11/511/192 weeks
SAV4/15/20225/10/2022Just under a month

It is NOT the time to get through these ages that is holding back the folks I've talked to. The answer I get is they see no benefit for moving into these ages other than increased city space.
  • They know about the punishment in the RQ cycle (too many to click through, and loss of UBQ).
  • They see no good reward or fun to moving up, and frankly I agree with them, except for city space, more battle points, or making goods outside of the city.
  • The RNG factor in fighting is a definite negative in SAV and it's only going to be worse in SAJM.
  • There is no reason to use buildings provided by an age, except to complete an event quest and, well, that can be done in whatever age you're in.

Last edited:
I tracked how long I spent in those ages and in SAM-SAV I also tracked how long it took me to complete the research, and frankly it is nothing to have angst over:
.. that is the whole problem with this forum. there is only the "i am very into the game, actually prepare myself and play very efficiently" group around. people who just play, explore, do not read about the game are not being thought of.

this is not saing that i think the ai core special goods bonus is great. it is definately not. but i will build it for the guild goods. can never have enough of those :D

mcbluefire

Baronet
.. that is the whole problem with this forum. there is only the "i am very into the game, actually prepare myself and play very efficiently" group around. people who just play, explore, do not read about the game are not being thought of.

My point is that the GB bonus of special goods is pointed at basically noone. Those who just play, explore, and do not research how-to-play efficiencies aren't going to hop on the AI core to move through ages faster that they have avoided for years anyway or are already plodding along through at "a snails pace" compared to those of us who prepped and focused 100% into getting research and map done asap. Where is the benefit in a GB bonus literally aimed at no demographic?

While I get you on the Guild goods, I will not build it anytime soon as my Arc, Obs, and GbG buildings are enough. I will also do my best to ensure my guildmates never feel they need to build it to help with guild goods... this GB will be used by many guilds as another "must have" which is sadly ridiculous.

Last edited:

Owl II

Emperor
this GB will be used by many guilds as another "must have" which is sadly ridiculous.
I'm not sure. Top players who can easily leveled it bring enough goods to the treasury. (my city brings 5k+ daily). The older age has no problems with the treasury. Of course, I will give the goods to any of our junior players who wants to have it. Bu, I will never force my guys to spend 60k FP on this. They can invest these FP with much greater benefit for themselves and for the guild

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
@Juber For the announcement coming out next week (possibly), please tell me it is not going to be a promise to ensure next year's age is not going to be another copy and paste. While it would be good to have a "promise" it will probably go over like a lead balloon.

We need something this year, in the next few weeks or couple of months, even if it is just a GB that means something to folks in SAJM. Bonuses to help people "catch up faster" should also provide an avenue for existing players to grow faster as well. Technically I don't see the bonus of the new GB as more than a marginal advantage for players who haven't entered AF yet. I honestly don't see any excitement over trimming a couple days off the time to get through those ages. I tracked how long I spent in those ages and in VF-SAV I also tracked how long it took me to complete the research, and frankly it is nothing to have angst over:
AgeStarted Date (2021)Finished Research Date (2021)Time Researching
AF4/27Built up supplies and goods for a while
OF6/4
VF9/39/2219 days
SAM9/2410/82 weeks
SAAB11/511/192 weeks
SAV4/15/20225/10/2022Just under a month

It is NOT the time to get through these ages that is holding back the folks I've talked to. The answer I get is they see no benefit for moving into these ages other than increased city space.
  • They know about the punishment in the RQ cycle (too many to click through, and loss of UBQ).
  • They see no good reward or fun to moving up, and frankly I agree with them, except for city space, more battle points, or making goods outside of the city.
  • The RNG factor in fighting is a definite negative in SAV and it's only going to be worse in SAJM.
  • There is no reason to use buildings provided by an age, except to complete an event quest and, well, that can be done in whatever age you're in.

First off, I have to agree with the first part of the post "we'll do better in the future" is going to be a very hard sell - recent track record hasn't been great to have much good will of the "wait for next year" variety.

Regarding the building having *no* niche - that I'll disagree on - it's a small niche but there are players who are both new to the game and trying to plow through those ages as fast as they can. And there are guilds that legitimately want/need those extra treasury goods - not ones I want to be in, but they exist :p

I'll also point out that some of the fear of higher ages is caused by players overselling the downsides. If it was someone's first world, I absolutely would recommend them to keep advancing ages at a reasonable pace. Just because the vocal majority feels unappreciative of a specific age doesn't mean a particular individual will. When I wasn't sitting at the end on one world myself and thus able to make decisions based on my own previous impressions I used to find the advice from others on the "Should I move up?" question very hit or miss. Hence my recommendation to players on their first world unless they have a specific goal stated is to keep planning to move up - not necessarily as fast as possible, but not to stay back out of fear either.

Many of those higher ages also have upsides:
OF
+ one of the best RQ ages: 3 RQ slots once you finish OF story (VF story doesn't start without research), not so many aborts (only 8 quests you can't DQ yourself from), smallest buy FP quest, and a good variety of quest targets
+ diverse units to keep combat interesting if monotony is your enemy
- no "one army to rule them all" if that's what you're looking for; close enough facsimiles at low attrition though
- if you don't like it, it's the longest age in the game to just get through

VF
+ birth of the combat-oriented RQ (though you do need to have a guildmate post a bunch of circle trades so that you can clear it while you go)
+ 1 hr production RQ can be a good way to catch up on supplies which are becoming in higher demand if you weren't hanging out in lower ages with a huge HC forever
+ one of the dumbest slates of defending units enabling crazy-high-attrition battles if you dodge DAs you don't get along with
- but ninjas are heavily annoying defending units meaning you either need to stick to low-medium attrition or dodge defending armies that have too many
- extra aborts per RQ cycle (12 you can't DQ yourself from), 15 instead of 5 for buy FP quest (what's worse, buying 15 FP requires two trips to the window as you can't buy past 10)

SAM
+ RQs start giving 10 FP instead of 5 (bar FP instead of pack but generally people have ways to convert that these days that I consider this an upside)
+ Introduction of the Colony for lazier goods than RQs
+ very well-rounded combat age with both an army that works pretty well vs everything (8 sentinels) and other useful units that can play into improved strategies for people who want more than a simple 1 army vs everything.

SAAB
+ for zero-attrition farmers, Nailstorms were apparently an upgrade over Sentinels as the 1 army vs everything
+ for point farmers, RQs that offer fights in the quest so you don't have to go find fights somewhere else all the time
+ Colony while less interesting becomes more productive (in SAM your colony's goods production was typically space-bound allowing decisions/optimizations on life support; in SAAB your colony is typically map resource bound but it makes more than the best optimized SAM colony anyways)
- Nailstorms lack a good counter at medium-high attrition
- Abort count goes up, ugh (15 you can't DQ yourself from now!). And one of the quests requires you to pay hundreds of goods questioning the reason for its existence other than to support point farmers who don't even finish the quest, just do the fight and abort :p

SAV
+ if you didn't like SAAB units (I didn't), this has a slate closer to that of SAM but with a less powerful flyer because the defending artillery can hit it
- only GB isn't particularly innovative or useful
- almost the same as SAAB RQs except now there's *two* of the RQs noone should complete.

SAJM
+ your flyers will be untarget-able by defending artillery again, and a good "contact!" unit will exist for the first time since OF (and possibly closer to CE's AAV in experience)
- if you were more of a power dragon fan than energy cannon then the previous might be a mixed bag as the artillery will have a more pronounced weakness
- but other than those ability changes it seems to be pretty much the exact same age as SAV

Last edited:

mcbluefire

Baronet
SAAB
+ for zero-attrition farmers, Nailstorms were apparently an upgrade over Sentinels as the 1 army vs everything
+ for point farmers, RQs that offer fights in the quest so you don't have to go find fights somewhere else all the time
Only age thing I disagree on with your follow-up post is SAAB (and beyond) point farmers relying on RQs. Yeah, I know we hear about it on the forums here as if it was really a thing! The reality is... it is not. GvG is where point farming is done, period....only way to get a few million points within an hour. RQs even with "bots" is not going to give you that and requires very frequent troop replacement... you're looking at 4 to 6 fights every 3 minutes or so compared to 79 fights with near zero damage every couple of minutes in GvG. For the typical RQ farmer the "defeat this army quest" is just a small perk while flipping through for other quests; and as you mentioned, a nice to have when you need to get in fights for whatever reason (HC, quest, event).

Who is going to spend 60K+ FP to save a few days (5-15) in AF and OF research? It does not directly affect how long it takes to get through the space ages as at that point it only helps with obtaining the special good from the previous ages. I keep reading that it's folks who don't prep. Isn't standing up a GB and investing 60K+ FP in it part of prepping? Again, I ask where is this target audience? Are these players already swimming in daily FP or are they going to sit still and prep? New players who want to get through as fast as they can are going to prep and spend 30+ days to build up a GB to save a week or two through AF and OF? How is this saving any time? Investing FP stops moving through other ages because FP is needed for all ages! Thus this is a hard stop for x amount of time. This GB bonus is solving for a non-existent problem by creating a new time sink! It increases the overall time to completely get to SAV. All to be happy about potentially finishing two ages a bit faster after opening the research than was possible before? For most of these players they may even take longer than we (who went through before the GB) did because getting through the ages isn't important enough to prep for to begin with so this levels no playing field. Again I ask, where is the niche? Who does this benefit?

If you have an Arc80+, a few GbG reward buildings, and an Obs you are already providing more goods to your guild than they will spend on GE and an average GbG season. That makes this GB's guild good's assistance minor at best. In 24 squares I can provide 160 guild goods, obtain 1,448 guild points, 14FP, and 729,280 coins every day from 2 SoHs... just by being active in GbG for a few seasons (or less). The AI core has to be L78 before it gets up to the guild goods of these 2 SAV SoHs and it provides none of the other benefits and uses one more square. Of course, now, the Great Elephant is even better. So, why would anyone plant this for guild goods?

Apologies, though, I wasn't trying to derail into a discussion about the AI Core's shortcomings.... that should be in the SAJM feedback. This is about transparency.

Last edited: