• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback PvP Arena (reworked)

Just a wee feedback on the age-related paring:

As I just moved up one age today, I feel like suggesting a week or so as a transfer time, in which one stays in the same age in the Arena, like the way it works both in the GBG as well as the GE (hence the moving today with the start of the new GBG).

Just already very hard or rather costly to move up an age so why not give a certain break to be able to unlock all the buildings without having to rush through the tree more than one already has to when moving up... even just for the lower ages where it is still very hard to fight against higher age units, as one normally hasn't got as strong attack and defence bonuses as one would have in higher ages (if one doesn't love camping in one age for a long time).

PS: Just checked, while my opponents moved and got more difficult, my "age" ranking still stayed in the age below. Somehow that also then needs to be fixed, I'd assume.

Last edited:

OmegaLee

Steward
The bonus rewards need to be more common. For the # of fights I have done, I've gotten very few bonuses. GBG is giving out far more frequently. It is better, but still doesn't feel like enough rewards to justify the time with manual battles.

Also, the PvP Arena means that the Towers are deleted. The medals from the towers were an important resource for new players, since they can use them to buy several expansions. Taking away that source of medals makes a significant difference.
Well I'm criticizing exactly that removal of the towers and the problem for players to have that income, that however, does not mean that I do not find it great that the arena starts from EMA. Like it's great that you love the IA, but the game still has more than 10 ears after that so if you want to have something from that age and stop camping in IA than just move up. Like I do not complain that I do not have the harbour while still in Colonial...
And yes while it annoyed me that I couldn't test the Atzteks, I did not complain about being excluded, but just started moving up the ages, which I think Inno for encouraging me to do. As while lower ages have their advantages so do higher ages.

PvP is unlocked in Iron Age, not EMA.
I know, but that only is at the very end of the IA where you are supposed to learn what it is like to play in the GBG and to fight with your neighbours.
So what you get in the IA is:
- GE
- GvG
- GBG
- fighting and plundering your neighbours
- daily challenges
- as well as contributing to GBs...

Maybe that should be enough for one age should't it?

lordwasa

Regent
Community Manager
As I just moved up one age today, I feel like suggesting a week or so as a transfer time, in which one stays in the same age in the Arena, like the way it works both in the GBG as well as the GE (hence the moving today with the start of the new GBG).

Just already very hard or rather costly to move up an age so why not give a certain break to be able to unlock all the buildings without having to rush through the tree more than one already has to when moving up... even just for the lower ages where it is still very hard to fight against higher age units, as one normally hasn't got as strong attack and defence bonuses as one would have in higher ages (if one doesn't love camping in one age for a long time).

PS: Just checked, while my opponents moved and got more difficult, my "age" ranking still stayed in the age below. Somehow that also then needs to be fixed, I'd assume.
Thank you for reporting it, I will see what can be done about it. Maybe something similair to the Guild Expedition where your enemies don't change if you age up after is has started. This will be difficult because there is no hard reset or downtime every week.

Thunderdome

Emperor

It's all in the part of being prepared. Like neighborhood fights, where it happens every week or two for a change (if ever), your opponents change when you age up. You must be prepared for such.

Thank you for reporting it, I will see what can be done about it. Maybe something similair to the Guild Expedition where your enemies don't change if you age up after is has started. This will be difficult because there is no hard reset or downtime every week.

It would be quite difficult indeed.

6zeva9

Baronet
Quote from Announcement "In addition to the aforementioned changes, our Game Designers have also worked on the matchmaking feature and overall balancing. From now on, there are Era conditions for the list of opponents you can find, and it will also impact in the amount of Combat Points you can gain from it.
  • Hard opponents can be up to 3 Ages higher than you.
  • Medium opponents should be on the same Age as you.
  • Easy opponents are one Age lower than you."
Modern Era is 3 Ages higher than Colonial Age.
So you will see them as a possible opponent and as low as Late Middle Ages for your Easy opponent.

Atokirina

Squire
As the game grows larger with more and more features, we need to invest more time; which is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as we like it and have fun.
But an extra feature where you can keep grinding endlessly makes the feature less attractive to me and probably to a lot of other players.

The PVP-Arena is in my opinion a very cool feature but it hasn't enough depth to daily grind points for hours. The grinding makes it less interesting and more boring. If you have a limited amount of attempts, you need to make your decisions more carefully as a wrong decision can cost you ranking points. Now a mistake or a loss isn't too bad, cause you can just keep grinding.
The people with persistence will keep buying attempts with medals and boost extra GB's on a daily basis to obtain a higher medal income.

PvP Arena with limited purchases on additional attempts / or even on total attempts - resets at 00h00
AspectsPRO'sCON's
ActivityIf players want to compete in the rankings, they will need to log in daily and play daily to obtain a high position.
Limit on additional attempts: Players will need to log in every 10 hours to maximize their attempts.
Limit on total attempts: Players only need to log in daily and can buy the extra attempts they lost when not logging in every 10 hours (with diamonds perhaps).
Players who don't log in daily or every 10 hours won't be able to make up for their damage as they aren't able to grind points.
Time investmentAs you only have a limited amount of attempts, you don't need to spend hours a day to compete in the rankings. You still have time for the other game features and your life outside of the game.People who like to stand out because they are willing to spend a lot more time and go much further where others stop, will not be able to.
StrategyMistakes/losses will have consequences and will be noticeable. You will need to make your decisions wisely. This will make the feature more interesting.Mistakes/losses can no longer be corrected by grinding a little more as you won't be able to grind.
RewardingMany more players will be able to compete in the rankings, making this feature more interesting and fun for many more players.

Players who log in daily are more rewarded than those who don't.
Players who miss a day will not have the option to make up for the damage through grinding.

As I get new/more insights by testing the new feature, I will update this table accordingly.

While reading through some comments, I noticed a lot of people don't like the limits on additional attempts as you lose ranking points when someone succesfully attacks you. A possibly solution could be a 'resentment-meter': for every defense you lose it will fill the meter. When you win a defense, it will go down a bit. When the meter is full, you can claim additional attempts to compensate for the ranking points you lost.

Last edited:
On live it will come down to time. GE is done quick, so it is a non-issue. GBG takes a lot of time, but pays out great rewards - Hundreds of fp per day, plus other rewards. PvP Arena appears to be time consuming, but gives much lesser rewards than GBG.

Which one do you think I'm going to participate in, and which one do you think I'm going to skip?

This applies even more to secondary cities.

It's not like I don't like the overall concept, but the rewards need to be on par with what I'd earn elsewhere for me to spend time on it.

I won't miss the PvP Towers themselves or the medal reward they give. What I will EXTREMELY miss is the information those towers provide. Like others say, it is a good way to gauge your progress vs. your peer group (neighbors). If Inno can give us the same or better information elsewhere I believe the uproar over losing the PvP Towers would evaporate.

The Lady Ann

Baronet
it will be a thing for boring Monday LOL (the Monday between GbG and, no GE to occupy you either, just the hood) and that is about it, the rewards are not worth the time involved

it could have been a great thing, fragments for an exclusive building, size 3x3 max giving attack and defence for both attacking and defending armies like a mini terracotta army scaling through the ages starting at 9% for EMA gaining +3% every 2nd era, (needs a reno or 1-up kit to advance it) ending with Venus at 30% as well as 1 unit of the buildings age, 300 fragments required @ a 10% drop rate

also every fight gives an additional chance to win random prizes again at a 10% drop rate (so yes you can win 2 prizes each fight) 1 x troop or 10 FP's or 1000 coin or 1000 supplies or 20 goods or 2 turns (yes a drop in the ocean for high end players but who does not like getting free stuff) the building is the real prize.

these random prize drops I would have in addition to the level chests, however the Platinum, the Diamond and the Crystal chests would drop 1, 2 & 3 of the fragments respectively, please, please, please make it worth your effort to bring this to us and our time to invest in it

OmegaLee

Steward
8 manual battles and all I got was 1 prize of 2 attempts. IIRC I've only gotten one prize other then more attempts.
I can fight GBG in auto mode and get much better # of prizes.
If you want me to do this on live, the prize % needs to increase a lot. In addition, more attempts needs% to drop a lot.

GateKeeper

Baronet
8 manual battles and all I got was 1 prize of 2 attempts. IIRC I've only gotten one prize other then more attempts.
I can fight GBG in auto mode and get much better # of prizes.
If you want me to do this on live, the prize % needs to increase a lot. In addition, more attempts needs% to drop a lot.
Good point about the rewards, I'm approaching the 30k milestone/reward, hasn't taken much time to get these, 2 weeks I think and thats been at casual pace. Until todays 5 attempts, I would say I might have gotten a Random reward 4 maybe 5 times. The random rewards themselves are fine, 10 fps, 20 goods, 5 troops, and I think someone said they got an 20% AB boost. Now today though I went 2 out 5 tried with rewards, a 10 fp and 20 goods, so if Inno made that change already great. but if not, the Random rewards do need a little boost on % chance to keep the masses interested. The milestone rewards chests, those are a little light too, but honestly, I don't appear to be losing troops fighting on manual, so its really not a huge issue.

hddk

Steward
I'm in Colonial Age, I chose "middle level" opponent and I got a player in Future Era :) Maybe he changed ages very fast during tournament? Does it mean that players are assigned to age in which they started a tournament?

points.jpg

Thunderdome

Emperor
I'm in Colonial Age, I chose "middle level" opponent and I got a player in Future Era :) Maybe he changed ages very fast during tournament? Does it mean that players are assigned to age in which they started a tournament?

View attachment 6559
You might want to include a screenshot if that happened.

I just went into the Contemporary Era, and after the first battle (on screen) was done, the opponents (appropriately) on my list changed.

Previous Opponent List
• Hard: Tomorrow Era
• Medium: Post Modern Era
• Easy: Modern Era

New Opponent List (After the battle)
• Hard: Tomorrow Era
• Medium: Contemporary Era
• Easy: Post Modern Era

Consensus: The opponent list changes right after hitting the refresh button in the PVP arena or after battling a chosen opponent when you age up (for those wondering).

trayk

Steward
It is worse then before, now you can't use your rogues because the enemy always goes for the real army, this is only good to bring your armies down to zero in no time, instead of an additional time and army eating future you better should concentrate to make Guild Battlefields more fair.
My rating is:mad::mad::mad:

You actually have to use skill and unit knowledge to complete a battle , not the 1 unit 7 rogue click click I win your used to. How soft we all have become with this. Back when this was how pvp was, no rogues, no free units from Alcatraz. Learn the units and their capabilities, then sent them out and skillfully win the fight.

Ok, the old tower tournaments are gone, who cares, they have been a joke since the creation of GvG and even more so with the creation of GbG. They are NOT a representation of hood fights but of who farms G*G the most. You can still fight hood and plunder if that is your your thing. I know for some its how they measure their manhood :p

The 3 levels higher for hard is a bit pretentious. Every time I have attempted to attack a FE/TE player there (Im PME) they have had OF units in defense. My MG teams just cant keep up against that. I just dont bother anymore, plenty of good fights in Medium.

Last edited by a moderator: