• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback PvP Arena (reworked)

lordwasa

Regent
Community Manager
I think that is mainly the major critics this time.

What I am missing most is the comparison to the neighbors. Because the "fight" against the neighbors is only many levels, not only with battles, but also by not helping or helping with GBs. Battles against neighbors was only one facet in the neighborhood and therefore the PvP Towers only part of this fight.

What I can understand is that you do not want to take GvG or GBG into account on the towers, and this is a legitimate goal...

I will forward the idea for a better comparision to neighboors taking into account more than just the PVP Arena now the towers are gone.

At what time will the towers be restored!?
The PVP Towers won't be restored

lordwasa

Regent
Community Manager
Some constructive feedbacks:
- during the running events there should be event related rewards available (for example, during Forge Ball event we would win some balls)
- please, introduce a new buildig (3x4 or so size) with many levels and let us win fragments of it, it should give FP-s, fighting units, bonuses, goods for guild treasury, etc.
- maybe you should introduce a speacial fighting unit that can be won in PvP arena.
I suppose, theese would be the key to be involved into the PvP arena.

I mean, let playing PvP arena a real advantage for those, who start playing it. Not it gives barely nothing special. I can win FP-s on GBG, it is not exciting enough.
I will forward the idea of a special prize in the PVP Arena of an unit or special building similair to the Statue of Honor.

OmegaLee

Steward
I agree PVP arena still needs better prizes. I'm not gagging on it like V1, but it still doesn't inspire me.
I'm going to have to add multiple levels to my traz due to the additional troop suck. At my stage in Beta I would prefer to concentrate on getting my FP count up. Right now this is a big debate if worth it.

The real challenge will be getting low levels to want to fight in the PVP tower. Until you have build a traz you simply don't have enough troops to fight long. A source of bonus troops in early ages is needed if you want Iron Age people fighting in this.

6zeva9

Baronet
PvP Towers are Passive in their methodology, you earn points by doing other Quests or Events (GE, Seasonal, etc).
PvP Arena requires Active participation and distracts from doing other Quests or Events.

Players are more likely to ignore PvP Arena until they are in a position to spend time on it. So either Campers or those who are currently in SAAB awaiting SAV.

When I started playing we had a daily Treasure Hunt, which gave you a Unit as the final Reward. The gaps on it fell nicely into the working day an you would log in first thing in the morning to start the first (5 Minute) leg, while making coffee and breakfast, then the second leg (15 Minute) while you got dressed, third leg (1 hour) could be started before leaving for work, fourth leg (4 hours) could be started before starting at work and the fifth could then be started during your Lunch break, then once you got home you could start the final leg (8 hours) and collect the reward next morning.
It encouraged players to log in more than once a day, however it was not available on Mobile, so it was removed as developers could not find a solution to add it to mobile.

Now we see that PvP Towers will be removed as someone thinks that PvP Arena will generate more money.
What is more likely to occur is that players will become less active as time is limited.

Umbrathor

Baronet
While I agree that excluding players from participating isn't great (annoyed me with the Atztecs), it makes sense to stop players from camping in ages and make them progress through the ages.
First, I believe that players should have the freedom to play the game the way they want, and not be forced into any specific playing style.
Second, there are excellent reasons to not want to progress through the ages in each world. I play in six live worlds and on beta, and have cities in many different ages, for diversity. If all of them were in Space Age, the game would get very boring for me.

Iron Age is a really fun age to play, because you do many fights with just spearmen, which can be replaced quickly. Also, I love the design of that age - especially the City Hall.

It also makes sense that players are only able to participate from EMA onwards, as it would not make sense to get the Arena before actually getting PvP.
PvP is unlocked in Iron Age, not EMA.

Also why just scramble all new features into one age... if you want to try new features progress to the era they unlock
It takes new players a fair amount of time to reach EMA, and especially Colonial age. Until that time, they are locked out of a lot of content. You yourself have experienced how anoying it is to be locked out of the Aztecs. Iron Age is locked out of an ever growing number of features.

Also, the PvP Arena means that the Towers are deleted. The medals from the towers were an important resource for new players, since they can use them to buy several expansions. Taking away that source of medals makes a significant difference.

Praeceptor

Marquis
The thing I find the most frustrating with nearly every change made to the game...

No-one tells us WHY.

Why do the towers have to go?
Why is it called PvP Arena instead of Endless Bot Arena?
Why change things that none of the players think is a problem?
Why not fix things that nearly every player thinks is a problem (eg the clickfest that is recurring quests, GvG mechanics, and a hundred other things)?
Why won't members of the development team explain things to the players directly instead of getting CMs to face the flak.

sirblu

Baronet
I'm feeling really stupid, but I was wondering why the towers had disappeared of the Continent Map.
I'm just falling, none of our battles in GvG or GB will count for anything.
I´m sorry, but I think the game has begun its slow journey to death.
The Towers have all been replaced by the reworked PvP Arena

Julian24

Viceroy
Why did the treasure hunt had to go, why had the old message center had to go, why did they want to remove the guild forum? Because they are old and mainly not used anymore. I think the better question would be: Why should the towers stay? Inno decided to rework the PvP-Tower concept and this is they way it is done.
See my post here: https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/pvp-arena-reworked.14230/page-9#post-115266
What changes? Could you give examples?
Why not fix things that nearly every player thinks is a problem (eg the clickfest that is recurring quests, GvG mechanics, and a hundred other things)?
This may be try in your bubble, but must of the players don't play GvG (I think it was like 4%). Most players don't mind, if others do lots of quests. This is just something, that players like you and me notice and may be annoying.
Also, they said, that they will only fix bugs in GvG and not change anything anymore. They tried that on beta and en, but it failed. In the end, most players don't want a change in GvG, even if they don't admit or realize it.
And lastly, inno is a company, which has to make money. So it is just natural, to replace an old feature, which does only cost server resources and does not give any money will be replaced with one, that can give money. It is not reprehensible or anything, this is just, what companies do and have to do.
Why won't members of the development team explain things to the players directly instead of getting CMs to face the flak.
Because it is not a developers job to talk to the community directly. This is the job of the COMMUNITY Manager. Why is this a problem?

Thunderdome

Emperor
The constructive feedback we received so far:
  1. The league rewards should be increased
  2. Add a way to compare your performance to other players from your neighboorhood and age outside of the PVP Arena
  3. More different opponents - if more players participate, the pool of potential opponents increases and you will face different opponents
  4. Improve matchmaking also based on attack and defensebonus
  5. Defense being in a disadvantage in % bonusses - there are plenty of ways to boost your stats of your defensive army equal to your attacking army. If you do not wish to invest in this, that's ypur own choice
  6. We want the PVP Tower back - the PVP Arena will substitute the PVP Tower
  7. Better ways to earn medals without the PVP Tower - the best way currently is investing in Great Buuldings from other players with a decent Arc

We are looking for constructive feedback for this feature. Spamming we want the tower back, just saying this update sucks, you stop playing or derogative comments towards Innogames are not helpful.

If you want this feature to be better than it currently is, please share constructive feedback for us to improve this feature.

I think I speak for myself (and probably some others) when I say, anything that is being said in this thread is of constructive feedback... something that Inno should have kept a close eye onto in any day and age. Ask yourselves why the first version didn't fully make it out to the live servers. From my point of view, if it had made its way out in its current state, there will be a mass exodus of players from that game. Something that Inno doesn't want because it will spell failure for the company... no matter how much they invest in their gimmicks of having players to buy diamonds (I only spend money in a game when the game is good, not because on impulse).

If this was my game, I would monitor the feedback as much as I can, and either fix the problem or address the reasons why such a "change" is warranted... something that Inno has failed to do with their customer base. You moderating folks have done all you could, including taking some swift and heavy punches from players like me (or us, if you want to be technical about it). The problem isn't with any of you. It's with the company that threw a monkey wrench at the same time removed something that every other player has gotten used to. Remember that!

Now, I will have to provide more feedback to your responses (hoping I won't get to repeat myself):

• When people mentioned league rewards to be increased, they meant the rewards should be scaled (or appropriate) for the age a player is in. A new player who is in the Iron Age would be sufficient to receive your current prizes, but a player who is in SAM would look at it in disappointment. The same mechanics should be used for when an age appropriate player wins an age appropriate prize from events (examples would be forge bowl, summer event, winter event, etc.). Once that is established, you can do a % increase depending on how far up the ranks they went. I mean, if I am placed 3000, I should get the base (age appropriate, of course) prize. If I place at 1000, that increase should be at about 50% to 80%. If I place on the top 100%. should be 81% to 100%. If I am at the top (as #1) then it would be like 150%. Remember, all this has to be within age appropriation.

• Now, we're talking! Majority of us look at the rankings when it is displayed right on to our faces. I gauge my playing performance on how well I do against my neighbors. I do not care to get the medal rewards as I have an Arc, but I am sure those who are new and playing through the bronze age and camping out in the iron age were relying on those medals to get those early expansions. There are guilds out there that might help folks who are starting out in getting an arc, but it's not widespread. So, unless Inno is willing to give out level 80 arcs to every player (old and new) just to take them away from utilizing the towers for medal gain, they will have to work out something for those who relied on towers for the prize in doing PVE (prior to unlocking Military Tactics and setting themselves up for the PVP scene).

• I may not know the exact number of players that participated along with the age they play in, but I am sure if Inno takes care of the previous two, participation would be good. But, they have to be willing to listen to their players as we're the backbone of their company. Social media is a very dangerous animal. I would leave it at that as I won't say anything political but you get the point.

• On 4 and 5, nothing should be nerfed. If a player has to attack their neighbor with what they got and how far they made their city, it should be the same for when a player attacks another player (or bot in this case) in this PVP arena. You could leave the bot stripped, but we will truly know the difference when we are presented with a real player that has Attacking A/D % and Defensive A/D% that they worked hard on through the years. This will let us know that we need to work on our cities a bit more if we're presented with an opponent that poses a "challenge".

• Again, it's for the lower ages and players that are starting out. No one should be excluded. With this gone, they will have to "wait" longer to develop their cities, and eventually quit the game... resulting in possible loss in revenue. I have a few baby cities that I am starting out in the live server and would be really perturbed if they took out the way of me getting some "passive medals" for those early expansions. Also, I just like kicking some IA ass on the continent with just BA units (heh heh). I would like some form of reward for my efforts, you know.

• On 7, and as with my previous statement, there are only a few guilds that might help out a new player with an Arc. Majority of the guilds on the live server do not have all of their members with Arcs. Without said Arc, the medal count is low. Not only that, but if a player doesn't come with an uber amount of forge points to be placed (even 1.9 gives out a low amount without an Arc and many would look at it as a waste of points if the return is not there) on someone's GB, then they wasted their points without a reward.

I will forward the idea for a better comparision to neighboors taking into account more than just the PVP Arena now the towers are gone.

The PVP Towers won't be restored

• Please do. I would like to hear their (Inno) consensus on this.

• The PVP Towers shouldn't have been removed in the first place. Murphy's Law "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

I will forward the idea of a special prize in the PVP Arena of an unit or special building similair to the Statue of Honor.

• That'll bring all the kids into the school yard for sure. More ways to get something is always welcomed.

The thing I find the most frustrating with nearly every change made to the game...

No-one tells us WHY.

• Believe me, we won't hear of them as they take their silent stance. I guess I will have to get out my EN forum account out of mothballs to watch if this ever gets to them to test when we have enough players to test it right here.

What changes? Could you give examples?

• Murphy's Law: If it ain't broke, why fix it? I'm sorry, but I have to put that in there. Although, there was a change they made about 48 hours ago where they broke the messaging system. You would think they test their programming before handing it off to beta to test.

PhoenixFenix

Baronet
I will not personally miss the PvP Towers, since I don't care about them today, but still I have some constructive feedback regarding it.

The Arena will not replace the BA and IA towers since you for some reason has decided to let the Arena be for EMA and up. If the Arena should replace the towers then the Arena also should be opened to players from those ages.

Would also like to add to the following that military resources also will be limited for those in earlier ages which are not campers. It already is today and adding another active feature which need military units will only add to it. Even if I in my world on live are one of those SAAB awaiting SAV players.

PvP Towers are Passive in their methodology, you earn points by doing other Quests or Events (GE, Seasonal, etc).
PvP Arena requires Active participation and distracts from doing other Quests or Events.

Players are more likely to ignore PvP Arena until they are in a position to spend time on it. So either Campers or those who are currently in SAAB awaiting SAV.

Last edited:

lordwasa

Regent
Community Manager
I think I speak for myself (and probably some others) when I say, anything that is being said in this thread is of constructive feedback... something that Inno should have kept a close eye onto in any day and age. Ask yourselves why the first version didn't fully make it out to the live servers. From my point of view, if it had made its way out in its current state, there will be a mass exodus of players from that game. Something that Inno doesn't want because it will spell failure for the company... no matter how much they invest in their gimmicks of having players to buy diamonds (I only spend money in a game when the game is good, not because on impulse).

If this was my game, I would monitor the feedback as much as I can, and either fix the problem or address the reasons why such a "change" is warranted... something that Inno has failed to do with their customer base. You moderating folks have done all you could, including taking some swift and heavy punches from players like me (or us, if you want to be technical about it). The problem isn't with any of you. It's with the company that threw a monkey wrench at the same time removed something that every other player has gotten used to. Remember that!

Now, I will have to provide more feedback to your responses (hoping I won't get to repeat myself):

• When people mentioned league rewards to be increased, they meant the rewards should be scaled (or appropriate) for the age a player is in. A new player who is in the Iron Age would be sufficient to receive your current prizes, but a player who is in SAM would look at it in disappointment. The same mechanics should be used for when an age appropriate player wins an age appropriate prize from events (examples would be forge bowl, summer event, winter event, etc.). Once that is established, you can do a % increase depending on how far up the ranks they went. I mean, if I am placed 3000, I should get the base (age appropriate, of course) prize. If I place at 1000, that increase should be at about 50% to 80%. If I place on the top 100%. should be 81% to 100%. If I am at the top (as #1) then it would be like 150%. Remember, all this has to be within age appropriation.

• Now, we're talking! Majority of us look at the rankings when it is displayed right on to our faces. I gauge my playing performance on how well I do against my neighbors. I do not care to get the medal rewards as I have an Arc, but I am sure those who are new and playing through the bronze age and camping out in the iron age were relying on those medals to get those early expansions. There are guilds out there that might help folks who are starting out in getting an arc, but it's not widespread. So, unless Inno is willing to give out level 80 arcs to every player (old and new) just to take them away from utilizing the towers for medal gain, they will have to work out something for those who relied on towers for the prize in doing PVE (prior to unlocking Military Tactics and setting themselves up for the PVP scene).

• I may not know the exact number of players that participated along with the age they play in, but I am sure if Inno takes care of the previous two, participation would be good. But, they have to be willing to listen to their players as we're the backbone of their company. Social media is a very dangerous animal. I would leave it at that as I won't say anything political but you get the point.

• On 4 and 5, nothing should be nerfed. If a player has to attack their neighbor with what they got and how far they made their city, it should be the same for when a player attacks another player (or bot in this case) in this PVP arena. You could leave the bot stripped, but we will truly know the difference when we are presented with a real player that has Attacking A/D % and Defensive A/D% that they worked hard on through the years. This will let us know that we need to work on our cities a bit more if we're presented with an opponent that poses a "challenge".

• Again, it's for the lower ages and players that are starting out. No one should be excluded. With this gone, they will have to "wait" longer to develop their cities, and eventually quit the game... resulting in possible loss in revenue. I have a few baby cities that I am starting out in the live server and would be really perturbed if they took out the way of me getting some "passive medals" for those early expansions. Also, I just like kicking some IA ass on the continent with just BA units (heh heh). I would like some form of reward for my efforts, you know.

• On 7, and as with my previous statement, there are only a few guilds that might help out a new player with an Arc. Majority of the guilds on the live server do not have all of their members with Arcs. Without said Arc, the medal count is low. Not only that, but if a player doesn't come with an uber amount of forge points to be placed (even 1.9 gives out a low amount without an Arc and many would look at it as a waste of points if the return is not there) on someone's GB, then they wasted their points without a reward.

• Please do. I would like to hear their (Inno) consensus on this.

• The PVP Towers shouldn't have been removed in the first place. Murphy's Law "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

• That'll bring all the kids into the school yard for sure. More ways to get something is always welcomed.

• Believe me, we won't hear of them as they take their silent stance. I guess I will have to get out my EN forum account out of mothballs to watch if this ever gets to them to test when we have enough players to test it right here.

• Murphy's Law: If it ain't broke, why fix it? I'm sorry, but I have to put that in there. Although, there was a change they made about 48 hours ago where they broke the messaging system. You would think they test their programming before handing it off to beta to test.
Thank you for this feedback.
I have added it to the list, if it wasn't already in there

GateKeeper

Baronet
The constructive feedback we received so far:
  1. The league rewards should be increased
  2. Add a way to compare your performance to other players from your neighboorhood and age outside of the PVP Arena
  3. More different opponents - if more players participate, the pool of potential opponents increases and you will face different opponents
  4. Improve matchmaking also based on attack and defensebonus
  5. Defense being in a disadvantage in % bonusses - there are plenty of ways to boost your stats of your defensive army equal to your attacking army. If you do not wish to invest in this, that's ypur own choice
  6. We want the PVP Tower back - the PVP Arena will substitute the PVP Tower
  7. Better ways to earn medals without the PVP Tower - the best way currently is investing in Great Buuldings from other players with a decent Arc

1. Yes, of course ;)
2. sure but not needed
3. This should fix itself on the Live servers, where they are more players?
4. I don't see a current issue with it. Matchmaking should be by Ages period. Why would I build a Defense just to fight a Defender with my same % everytime.. Players would just remove their City Defense even faster than we already are in Live Servers.
5. not sure what this is ;)
6. No, trash the towers, they are pointless.
7. No one should be short on Medals, even without an Arc, just invest in others players higher "era" GB's, A 3rd place spot on a GB in the mid range levels, 40-60 from any GB from Arctic/Ocean/VF or higher will give you 20 times more Medals a week of Towers.

sirblu

Baronet
The main thing that I missed in the earlier version, when they took away the Towers, was not the medals but the calculation after every battle, whether it be in attacking your neighbor, GE or GbG. I really counted on those numbers as an indication of where I was point wise. The Towers merely added them all together for me and without the towers I now have to keep tract my self which is no big deal. In this version, I have noticed that the point calculation is still there even without the towers - yeah. But I hope they will continue to provide this info. The biggest beef I have with this PvP Arena over the towers is the losing of points just because Monday comes around. At least with the Towers, once you earned the points you kept them. I spend a great deal of money buying Diamonds in this game and I have be playing now for quite a few years. I personally don't like the PvP Arena but that is just my personal preference. I do not do a lot of fighting so it offers me nothing. As long as INNO keeps providing me with the points calculations after each battle I do, I'm happy

I have another problem with PVP towers being removed. Not only I cannot see total amount of battles during a week, but now it also affects guild battles in browser. When PVP towers are there, after you hit "autobattle" in GBG, resulting "OK" button is at the same spot. You do not have to move the mouse. Now without towers this "OK" button is in different place. It is already clumsy in the browser to click and move all the time to be fast in GBG, now it is even worse. You could see it already on Sunday night when towers were closed. I am sure this does not concern people who play on phones/tablets, but for browser players this is another issue. And I am sure nobody from dev team thought about that. And I have very little hope that they will fix position of said "OK" button. But please forward this feedback to them.

Last edited:
I have another problem with PVP towers being removed. Not only I cannot see total amount of battles during a week, but now it also affects guild battles in browser. When PVP towers are there, after you hit "autobattle" in GBG, resulting "OK" button is at the same spot. You do not have to move the mouse. Now without towers this "OK" button is in different place. It is already clumsy in the browser to click and move all the time to be fast in GBG, now it is even worse. You could see it already on Sunday night when towers were closed. I am sure this does not concern people who play on phones/tablets, but for browser players this is another issue. And I am sure nobody from dev team thought about that. And I have very little hope that they will fix position of said "OK" button. But please forward this feedback to them.

this problem also exists on live servers at sunday evening, after the pvp towers have finished. and yes it is VERY annoying :)