• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Spoiler New Guild Expedition Buildings! (GE Update?)

MooingCat

Viceroy
Spoiler Poster
The video was uploaded 2 weeks ago, so doesn't necessarily mean we will get GE5 tomorrow. Looks like someone made a mistake releasing the video early :p

Somebody in the German forum wrote down the subtitles:

It explicitly says that you need to use your def values to strengthen your army. What disturbs me is the following sentence (translated by me):
The most active defenders get the chance to win a mysterious and powerful Forgotten Temple. I hope this chance is also available for active players who don't have an active guild but I fear for the worst.

Astrid

Baronet
nah i think the deadline was today, and they just aren't finished/ready yet for actual release :p
The way they broke the current guild expedition on beta Friday(you collected the reward but nothing was shown, then you had to exit and enter the expedition again for the next gate), it's likely that we won't get level 5 released tomorrow.

we've just wanted a new GE level with better prizes. defense boosts, new buildings... omg. too many innovations and changes is not always a good thing.

„we“, as in you and your other you? :p

please exclude me from this „we“ thing because i want innovations

It explicitly says that you need to use your def values to strengthen your army. What disturbs me is the following sentence (translated by me):
The most active defenders get the chance to win a mysterious and powerful Forgotten Temple. I hope this chance is also available for active players who don't have an active guild but I fear for the worst.

Well, since you need an somewhat active Guild to even unlock levels 1-4 (and most likely level 5 also) to begin with, I'd start looking for a guild that at least manages to do so.

Apart from that, 'most active defenders' might just be a synonyme for 'Players that complete GE5', and the 'mysterious and Powerful temple' might just be that new temple-like building from the orginal Post.

CrashBoom

Legend
most likely: in reward chest after last encounter

because:
aren't there just 16 encounters ? (or a different number but same amount for all)
so you can't be more active than that
:rolleyes:

i do hope they tweak the fortification cost numbers though, because the figures in the video suggest that you'd need to pay a multitude of 10k of 3 different goods per fortification from what looks like your personal storage. this would drain most players in 2-3 buys max :p ^^

i do hope they tweak the fortification cost numbers though, because the figures in the video suggest that you'd need to pay a multitude of 10k of 3 different goods per fortification from what looks like your personal storage. this would drain most players in 2-3 buys max :p ^^

Those were definitely placeholders, there's one screenshot in the German Forum with a Standart Latin 'dummytext' found almost everywhere where Placeholders are needed, and one of the goods that was shown in the 'costs' section was Barley from the Egypt Settlement, so those were most likely placeholders too.

Kronan

Viceroy
...but it confirmed the fact that we need to defend and only the bonuses from town defence will matter.

I'll wait to see the video, and hope it's not as simple as that - for lots of reason.

People have spent years learning the game and crafting a city balance in a fight-forward design. City defense always played a role, but it wasn't dominant or even required to the positive fighting aspects needed for these 6 (or more) valuable venues:
1) GBG
2) GE (1-4)
3) GvG
4) PvP
5) PvP Arena
6) Continent Map

Attempts to get city protection from the few Great Building AND event offering (and even buildings) has minimal adoption because no matter how much city defense you demonstrate, an attack asymmetry exists in this game that really can't be beat...:(

So - alternately - we're learned to fix that by having it net down to "collect on time" and don't worry about 5 FP plundered if you happen to miss a collection. The city space for fight-forward buildings and economic offering is the BEST use of land squares for ATTACK as the MOST LIMITED resource in the game (land) calls out for efficiency.

That's what FoE is, was and seems to be. Some people are already cashing out of city building for economics, and going pure war - as there so much focus on new war venues recently - the game's cash cows.

It's a little late to have a city defense rebirth as a valued theme that ONLY matters for 1 NEW level of GE?

So if you're right, @Astrid, a few things could happen from this, but I think this might be a predominant (possibly - initial) reaction:

People will say - bah - not recrafting my city with defense (ritual flames, etc) for 1 new GE level that relies on something I once paid attention to, but don't anymore. I'll play GE 5 as best I can with what I have, and I'll keep on trucking with my design for ALL my other fighting time for the list above.

I'll wait to read more, view a video, and play it to see just how inadequate my city just may be for this.

Last edited:

Mailia

Merchant

The translation says it's live on beta though? I guess they missed the deadline or smt... unless they decide to re-release it in the next 14hrs *hint* *hint*

Astrid

Baronet
@Xiphos I have saved the video, but I don't think I have the right to distribute it.

It is simple, only city defence will matter, basically you defend, not attack. You also have the possibility to build some fortifications that will boost your defending stats. These fortifications will cost you most likely lots of goods and they will work for a single gate. Next gate, build new ones, and so on. They also stated that instead of defending you can also negociate.

Mailia

Merchant
@Xiphos I have saved the video, but I don't think I have the right to distribute it.

It is simple, only city defence will matter, basically you defend, not attack. You also have the possibility to build some fortifications that will boost your defending stats. These fortifications will cost you most likely lots of goods and they will work for a single gate. Next gate, build new ones, and so on. They also stated that instead of defending you can also negociate.
So either spend a crap ton of goods on buildings... or spend a crap ton of goods on negotiating? This'll certainly be 'interesting' lol

Dessire

Regent
why worry about defense when you can negotiate and when you can get tons of goods from event buildings, frontenac, himeji, space carrier, etc. etc ? xD

Kronan

Viceroy
@Astrid & @Dessire

thank you both: Astrid, I'll wait for an new English video that's sanctioned, no need to repost it, but ty for the thought :)

So the backstop to not wanting to change anything in your city (meaning: you have low defense stats, or not interested in adding any city defense buildings for GE 5), seems to be that you "negotiate" with goods as defense?

I'll await to see how that works. In the meantime, I wonder if Inno studied their game player population to target this city-defense design as the GE 5 choice of all the ones that were discussed.

A couple of holes for participation exist?
1) Iron Age players who have not yet researched Military Tactics (meaning they can play GE 1-4, but not 5)
2) People who've wholesale cleared most if not all their city defense buildings, and only have residual (small) values left because some event building blend both A/D help (for example: Phantom Conjunction Tower or the TerraCotta GB).
3) People playing from classically-termed "Diamond Mine" cities that can be active in GE 1-4 from ATTACK A/D, but their city is full of unplunderable buildings anyway, so they don't need any ACTIVE city defense.
4) There are player-active city designs that springboard from #3, ie, they also can't be plundered at any time, even without taking a waiting collection for weeks.... You don't need any city defense buildings at all for those and those city owners play in earnest like the rest of us.

It feels like it's going to be tough sledding to convince people to change course on their city design to play GE 5.

3 more "points"

1) Will your AO work in GE 5 in the defense role as it does in city defense for your main city?
2) Can you set up your GE 5 defense to use advanced-age warriors in an attempt to overcome lower boosts by city buildings you have?
3) Kraken can't help defenders - that's a shame.

Last edited: