• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Spoiler New Feature "Guild raids"?

Can I play beta via app? No ? Did the programmer die too? Or does the effort simply not pay off?
Any good programmer can see through the logic behind a code.

GvG is so great because you play directly against others and need tactics. GG has been pushed with various inflationary bonuses.
You would get more users to play GvG if you offer rewards similar to those in GG.
To cancel this feature is the biggest mistake. There will be many players who leave the game.
As a programmer I can tell you you're wrong. There is code that is totally working, running daily, that you would need someone to look at for a month to understand it. And even more to adjust it. And when you add the fact that the performance is underwhelming and would probably crush the servers if all app players jumped into GvG then you'll have to admit that the task is close to impossible.

I still think that Inno would have kept the GvG if they had a chance to do it. Removing a feature as big as this from a code base is a ton of work that they would have skipped if possible. They will surely have put a lot of thought into this and they will calculate with the loss of some players. But this is their job. In every software company you have to balance features you like with the cash you make or don't make.

Btw we are too slow. The German forum has had 8 new pages on this topic since yesterday evening alone :cool:

As a programmer I can tell you you're wrong. There is code that is totally working, running daily, that you would need someone to look at for a month to understand it. And even more to adjust it. And when you add the fact that the performance is underwhelming and would probably crush the servers if all app players jumped into GvG then you'll have to admit that the task is close to impossible.

I still think that Inno would have kept the GvG if they had a chance to do it. Removing a feature as big as this from a code base is a ton of work that they would have skipped if possible. They will surely have put a lot of thought into this and they will calculate with the loss of some players. But this is their job. In every software company you have to balance features you like with the cash you make or don't make.

Btw we are too slow. The German forum has had 8 new pages on this topic since yesterday evening alone :cool:
It's not that this forum is slow, it's that most of us have figured out that GvG has been a dead man walking for years. To act shocked at this point is only an indication that you just haven't been paying attention or unable to accept reality.

It's not that this forum is slow, it's that most of us have figured out that GvG has been a dead man walking for years. To act shocked at this point is only an indication that you just haven't been paying attention or unable to accept reality.
I have never played GvG so I'm not shocked. I just don't think that "not enough possibilities to spend diamonds" is the reason for the switch off.

ArklurBeta

Baronet
I just don't think that "not enough possibilities to spend diamonds" is the reason for the switch off.
Because it's not. It's there in the announcement, loud and clear:
Q: Why are we shutting down the Guild vs. Guild?
A:
We recognize that the GvG has become an integral part of the game for some of you, especially those who have been playing Forge for many years. The decision to shut the feature down did not come to us lightly. But here are the main reasons why we decided to make it:
  • Participation vs. maintenance. By now, only a very small percentage of our player population actively plays GvG. Being a legacy feature, which makes it slow and bulky, GvG requires considerable effort to maintain. In addition, GvG requires constant updates with every Age increase and, overall, doesn't live up to today's standards in terms of feature design. As a result, often it doesn't perform up to your and our expectations. Overhauling GvG would require many of our resources and would not be feasible and future-proof. Instead, in line with the market and our vision for Forge of Empires, we decided to create a new feature to bring all the different players and Guilds together and make a new long-standing addition to your game experience.
  • Inaccessibility. GvG cannot be accessible on mobile without a significant technical overhaul. While it has been the case for a while, we believe it is no longer sustainable for a cross-platform game like Forge. We aim to eliminate this divide and ensure the key features are equally accessible regardless of the platform. The introduction of Guild Battlegrounds in the past had already addressed this, but with Guild Raids, we want to improve even further. Please mind, that during the testing phase, we're likely to release the feature on browser first, with the mobile update coming later.
  • Ranking. GvG still holds an important place in the global rankings. With the recent GBG update, we introduced a new ranking focusing on the Guilds' performance in GBG rather than prestige. For us, it was the first step in decreasing the weight of GvG in the competition and making rankings fairer and accessible to as many active Guilds as possible, while including both mobile and browser players. We want to finish what we started and unite all Guilds in a new quest of Guild Raids.

Obviously that's not the whole picture, there are other reasons Inno might not feel comfortable to share with us, but that doesn't change the main reasons why they are shutting down GvG. If we have only 2 options, to keep GvG as is or to remove it, then removing it makes more sense. Would be nice to have a 3rd option to improve it and make it accessible for mobile users, but...it's not an option, so delete it is.

Because it's not. It's there in the announcement, loud and clear:

Obviously that's not the whole picture, there are other reasons Inno might not feel comfortable to share with us, but that doesn't change the main reasons why they are shutting down GvG. If we have only 2 options, to keep GvG as is or to remove it, then removing it makes more sense. Would be nice to have a 3rd option to improve it and make it accessible for mobile users, but...it's not an option, so delete it is.
That's exactly what I meant. Sorry that my double negation disturbed one or the other.

Can I play beta via app? No ? Did the programmer die too? Or does the effort simply not pay off?
Any good programmer can see through the logic behind a code.

GvG is so great because you play directly against others and need tactics. GG has been pushed with various inflationary bonuses.
You would get more users to play GvG if you offer rewards similar to those in GG.
To cancel this feature is the biggest mistake. There will be many players who leave the game.
Tell me you've worked as a dev before? You've never tried to rewrite 10+ year old abandoned languages?

NoVa

Squire
Spoiler Poster
This is likely not related to Guild Raids, but a new image was added, presumably linked to GvG becoming disabled soon™, probably to commemorate Anwar Dalati, who has been a big figure behind the feature. It is a fancier version of the Speaker's Corner, which has been given out back in 2015 in his honor.

W_SS_MultiAge_Anw23A1-5b940c98f.png

W_SS_MultiAge_Anw23A1
R_SS_MultiAge_Anw15-35c304510.png

R_SS_MultiAge_Anw15

Please, do not believe everything you randomly find on the internet.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
This is likely not related to Guild Raids, but a new image was added, presumably linked to GvG becoming disabled soon™, probably to commemorate Anwar Dalati, who has been a big figure behind the feature. It is a fancier version of the Speaker's Corner, which has been given out back in 2015 in his honor.

W_SS_MultiAge_Anw23A1-5b940c98f.png

W_SS_MultiAge_Anw23A1
R_SS_MultiAge_Anw15-35c304510.png

R_SS_MultiAge_Anw15

Please, do not believe everything you randomly find on the internet.
Maybe participating guilds from GvG get this one last memorial building or maybe like with the memorial event of Anwar, we'll get a mini event

What about players who have previous era troops?
I am in Postmodern Era, but collected IA troops to play in the Iron Age Province.
Will there be different provinces for different eras like in the Guid vs Guild?
Iron Age troops will not be able to fight in all ages province, and also not against troops of the Postmodern Era.

I am in Postmodern Era, but collected IA troops to play in the Iron Age Province.
Iron Age troops will not be able to fight in all ages province, and also not against troops of the Postmodern Era.
Time for a "delete all units" button. :p

Logain Sedai

Baronet
Yes, if you are optimistic ;), but Inno might consider that we have been informed well in advance of the end of GVG, so my feeling is that these units (of previous ages) won't be of any use.
It would be fair from Inno to let us know more about the new Guilds Raids and tell us how we can prepare for them, or at least how we can transition from GVG to GR.

Saisio

Farmer
What will happend to the guildsupport stat that Observatory, Deal Castle, Saint Basil and Saturn Pegasus yields and not to mention the guild support that you get from Guilds Lvls.