• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback New Challenges await you!

Someone mentioned that Rival isn't necessary to move your game forward. As most of you can probably attest, if you don't play it, give up on any type of league standing. In the first few events, when you actually purchased the Golden Upgrade, it was almost a guarantee that if you just finished the event, the extra kits & turns would put you into the 1% and you'd gain the perpetual buildings. I purchased 2 Golden kits during the Autumn event for two of my cities and managed two of the lvl 1 Grape stomping buildings. Fast forward to the Wilderness event and bam, purchased the Golden upgrade, and spent 4800 diamonds on tickets and Rival screwed that all up. The League took off and that lead was HUGE. So if you didn't also max out your Rival, which was giving tickets, golden tickets, tools, and other goodies to ADVANCE the Event, you fell to mid-level Professional.
Over the past year we've also seen a fair amount of nerfing here and there. Sort of a game balancing act. However, compare it to a gold rush, those who were there first, got the gold. In this case, diamonds. For all those years, the GbG & GE were huge diamond mines where a lot of top players probably got millions stashed, so they've got BANK, big time. Players in the last year or so now have very slim chances of gaining diamonds, so again, a huge difference in capabilities. So even though chances are equal to gain diamonds now, absolutely no way to compete, even with buying diamonds.
Personally, I think Rival should probably scale better. In the Marine Corps, you were rated on the total time you were enlisted, the total time in your grade, your weapon score & physical fitness test, any continuing education you accomplished, and your proficiency & conduct while performing your duties. To compare FoE, how long you've been playing, how long you've been in an Age, how many battles you've done in that Age, your overall att/def%, and your player score. So someone just starting the game, maybe 1 month in, aged up too fast, now in Colonial might have a different Rival than someone that's been playing 7 years, in Iron Age, has 250,000,000+ player points, and over 10M battles. Yeah, player 1 is in a Higher Age, but not even in the same universe capabilities wise. As a game maker, you already have player 2 hooked, so challenge them. If you want to keep player 1 interested in the game, you need to make it achievable. It's all just math, just plug in the player variables and you have a threshold that's challenging, but not impossible.

Emberguard

Emperor
Someone mentioned that Rival isn't necessary to move your game forward. As most of you can probably attest, if you don't play it, give up on any type of league standing [...] Fast forward to the Wilderness event and bam, purchased the Golden upgrade, and spent 4800 diamonds on tickets and Rival screwed that all up.

Precisely what I was expecting when I saw Rivals were added to Events. And you're right, it does make it very close to impossible for Free to Play to get into the Gold Leagues.

I'm saying very close because someone, somewhere is going to have practiced the Event beforehand on Beta, have just the right amount of luck to have everything fall into place on the Live servers and be prepared to use it to its full potential and/or have a well developed diamond farm to brute force their way through things

10 Tickets + 3 Golden Tickets per Rival. So let's say roughly +/- 19-25 Tickets per Rival completed depending on how far you stretch each Gold Ticket. That means if you complete 3 Rivals you got an extra 57 - 75 Tickets.

Buying 10 Tickets would normally cost you 1,800 Diamonds. Using the higher end of those estimates (75 tickets) that's already worth 13,500 Diamonds + whatever all the extra tools are worth.

That's calculating at 7.5 purchases of the 10 tickets bundle. Rounding that up to a full 8 purchases makes it 14,400 Diamonds + the cost of tools. Then you also have to consider the start of each event gives a $0.99 purchase, and the end of each Event has a 3-hr sale. So add on more Diamonds to counter that if you're Free-to-Play and either couldn't do the Rival for whatever reason or decided to skip it.

If you want the 1% League you'd definitely be paying significantly more if you don't complete Rival

Once again, it would have been nice to know the day and time of Rival's appearance so that we could organize ourselves. Once again Rival asks us to play badly and waste our resources to complete its challenges. Until now I was trying hard to finish Rival's challenges, but now I'm tired of it.

Harold Nat

Squire
Baking Sudoku Master
Once again, it would have been nice to know the day and time of Rival's appearance so that we could organize ourselves. Once again Rival asks us to play badly and waste our resources to complete its challenges. Until now I was trying hard to finish Rival's challenges, but now I'm tired of it.

Since the beginning, it was said that Rival challenges would start without an announcement. This is how it works. Also, it is now clear that they always start on a Tuesday, usually 1 week after the start of the event, so it doesn't come as a surprise to me.
What surprises me, though, is the way these event-related Rival challenges work, because they usually go against the fun aspect of the minigame. "Free x locked level x gems", who ever pays attention to that? And how many gems do I need to spawn just to get a couple extra free gems? I find this time consuming and not engaging at all.

CrashBoom

Legend
summary Anniversary Rival one
+ great rewards: kits
+ tools & energy boost the result (progress, keys)

- all/most tools needed. you can't keep them for later for better situations
- frustrating tasks: the demands are higher than possible to do. and boards are the enemy. when you think oh those few gems I can unlock on the next board then that board has even less of the needed locked gems
- impossible to finish it complete without spending diamonds or ruining the remaining event (yes players could collect energy just for the rival and use all there, but then they don't have enough for the other days)

CrashBoom

Legend
I have some doubts about this affirmation
How many keys you got up now without doing rival? the same for progress?
View attachment 11021View attachment 11022
I got additional tools and energy
spend the tools to clear a few boards
a free extra boards without paying reset

so why shouldn't that increase my overall result ?
more keys --> more progress

but I didn't completed the rival so didn't ruin the energy I have

maybe wrong wording
the won tools and won energy increases my overall end result

Last edited:
Of all the Rivals, this one was the worst for me. I didn't even make it to the first building. Usually I complete 80-100% of challenges without putting in any more effort. And I thought it ended today at 10 a.m., so I couldn't do anything this morning.

My summary:
- Finished 14 quests, on 13 boards, spending 4x 100 on each board. (The 13th board was the fourth from Monday that I left over)
- Barely used the tools, so I still have 12 add. crystals and six picks over, maybe for Rival #2.
- I'm not quite sure if there were 80 or 120 additional energy.

All in all the rival summed up to about 250 energy and 7 kits, Since 250 is about the total I expect from all the collections in the city it is a nice addition for me but nothing I'm hyped about.

Sinitar

Regent
I got additional tools and energy
spend the tools to clear a few boards
a free extra boards without paying reset

so why shouldn't that increase my overall result ?
more keys --> more progress

but I didn't completed the rival so didn't ruin the energy I have

maybe wrong wording
the won tools and won energy increases my overall end result
Last year,in average I got 160 points/day without open "other" chests (means only those need to open for x2 at start of each day)
Theorically I got around 3500 points + the others for opening the chests reaching 5400/5600
Now I have 1933 after done first rival but remained without value after 8 days and if I open the chests now, I will have around an additional of 1431 point ((total of key have at the moment / 18) x 27 ) to have up now 3364
If will back to the previous plan doing 3 tables/day for 13 days and 135 points/days, with opening chests will have at end of the event something of smaller increase of points got by some hundreds only in this situation than 5600...

I wonder if anyone has been able to complete all of Rival's challenges, without spending any diamonds of course.
On the anniversary thread someone said he did it without diamond. But I think he did spend all the boosters obtained (they are a lot) and all or most of energy available fromquest till today = not enough for next Rival.

PJS299

Merchant
In the newest challenge (the one that happened already, that gave golden kits), do we want to rush GE or not?