• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Cannot Reproduce: Memory leak-o-rama

DeletedUser4256

In my case, 5 FoE tabs open makes a 1,5GB filesize -> this too high memory usage causes a high CPU usage (85%) -> and this too high continuous CPU usage overheats my lap.

I always play this game with just one session/tab, if not, my engine would have burst sometime ago :)

Andi47

Overlord
2.5 Gigabytes with three Tabs open... :p

Steps to reproduce: Play for ~2 or 3 hours, with trading, putting FP to the tech tree, collecting/restarting buildngs, bulldozing buildings and building new ones, fighting on the continent map and checking the GvG map....

1.50.31024 (05.05.2015 2:15), Andi47 (868769), de8, de_DE, WIN 17,0,0,169, Windows 7, Firefox/38.0, 1920x939, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)
1.50.31024 (05.05.2015 2:15), Andi47 (868769), de5, de_DE, WIN 17,0,0,169, Windows 7, Firefox/38.0, 1920x939, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)
1.51.31104 (07.05.2015 10:21), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 17,0,0,169, Windows 7, Firefox/38.0, 1920x939, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)

Attachments

• Memoryleak_2538_MB.jpg
    Memoryleak_2538_MB.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 20

DeletedUser

Did you actually fight in any GvG battles leading up to this result?

Andi47

Overlord
no GvG this time - only on the continent map (1 or two battles), but these are memory-leak'd too. (try to fight 15 battles on the continent map, a good way to do so is using one Stealth Tank + 7 Rogues on the Tomorrow map ("south america") and you will eventuelly get the same Memory leak --> sound failure --> crash bug as in GvG)

Other actions which seam to be memory leak'd (and please don't tell me that this is normal caching!):
* switching back and forth to the tech tree (and spend a few FP)
* maybe donating FP to GBs of Guildmates, Friends or Neighbours
* repeatedly checking the GvG map (it is next to impossible to check all the eras in GvG (to see if there is any hostile siege sitting on the guild's sectors) more than two times in a row, third time will crash (i.e. loading infinitely)!)
* maybe looking into the army management window
* collecting and restarting production of supply and goods buildings
* opening and closing the global ranking

--> see my first posting and one of my postings on page 2 of this thread.

P.S.: I did not test (or say: closely observe) what happens when you have the game open and just do nothing for an hour or so.

Last edited:

Andi47

Overlord
I just did the following:
1.) (had 3 browser tabs with FoE open (de5, de8, beta) and collected/restarted buildings, read messages, checked gvg map on .de8, spent forge points to tech tree and a few to other guildmates' GBs) --> Memory use of flash player: ~1.4 Gigabytes (I was back to city view at that time)
2.) Beta: went to continent map (contempory era)
3.) opened a province
4.) selected a sector to conquer, selected troops
5.) did the battle (two waves; healed the units in between with diamonds)
6.) selected next sector, selected troops and did battle (two waves; diamond-healing of troops between the waves)
7.) switched back to city --> memory use of flash player: 1.8 Gigabytes

so ~400 Megabytes were leaking (or cached and not purged after going back to city?) during the two battles (each of the battles had two waves)

Andi47

Overlord
*bump*

Memory-leaks seem to be ubiquituous - not only in FoE, but also in Elvenar. Over there a player suspects (deriving from the numerous leaks both in FoE and Elvenar) that they seem to be located in the kernel of the game.

BTW: With 3 tabs of FoE and one tab of Elvenar opened (and looking into / collecting from time to time) I had a memory useage of 3.5 Gigabytes this morning. (When I refresh all four tabs, it goes down to 1.3 Gigabytes)

Andi47

Overlord
*BUMP*

Exactly 5 months since I reported this. Any news about this?

BTW: According to a friend, at least some of the memory leaks (especially the crash after ~17 back-to-back battles in GvG) also happen with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.

DeletedUser4256

A typical siege:

Initial memory usage after loading the game: 296M
Entering a GvG province map: 388M
I lay a siege and start fighting:
457M 1st
462M 2nd
475M 3rd
510M 4th
522M 5th
565M 6th
586M 7th
619M 8th
638M 9th
657M 10th
670M 11th
700M 12th
764M ops! siege broken, I lay a new siege
766M 13th
775M 14th
799M 15th
800M 16th
829M 17th
898M ops! siege broken, I lay a new siege
903M after clicking 'Attack' the grame freezes (the typical shield screen loading eternally)

after restating the game and fighting again:
401M 1st
440M 2nd
516M 3rd
562M 4th
(..)

...what's caused that memory increasing or why isnt purged? wounded units? maybe, but after reloading the game and the same amount of wounded units, the memory usage is down to 400M

Since GvG was released I've always experienced the same game crash so I'd say FoE software was not intended and designed for heavy fighting. It doesnt work, as you can see.

BTW: According to a friend, at least some of the memory leaks (especially the crash after ~17 back-to-back battles in GvG) also happen with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.

Its really courious that I've experienced the game freezing at 17th battle ...maybe its merely a coicindence though. :)

(Flash version 18,0,0,209, Windows 7, Firefox/39.0, 1366x596, DirectX9Ex 336 MB VRAM)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andi47

Overlord
@Mods and Devs:
Yesterday I updated my laptop to Windows 10 - it seems that Win10 (with Firefox) is somehow able to mitigate the memory leaks (memory use of the flash player stays below 1 GB). The previous testing was done with a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit system. With Win7 the memory use of the flash player went up to 3 GB and more - until either I reloaded the game or it crashed.

So for me I can summarize:
* windows 7 professional 64 bit + newest Firefox and newest flash: Memory-leak-o-rama observed
* Windows 10 professional 64 bit + newest firefox: no or only minimal memoryleaks observed. (1.61.f04eb80 (24.09.2015 19:28), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 19,0,0,185, Windows 10, Firefox/41.0, 1920x943, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM))

Question to all users who experience the memory leaks: Which system do you use?

Andi47

Overlord
Hmmm... even as with Windows 10 the memory use of the flash player no longer seems to skyrocket on almost every action in the game, there are still a few (memory-leak-related?) bugs which also happen with windows 10:

Bug #1: crash-bug when doing lots of consecutive bugs:

how to reproduce:
1.) I use the settings: Sound ON, music OFF, city animations OFF, smoke animations OFF, animations of other player's cities OFF, highlighting unattached units ON - make sure to have these settings for your city before proceeding.
2.) go to GvG map of an era where you have lots of troops
3.) set siege to a sector which is adjacent to your guild's sectors (or to a landing sector if your guild does not have any sectors) - or let a guildmate place a siege
4.) click into the sector, click attack and either fight manually or fight automatically or surrender (the bug is not dependent on which of these options you chose
5.) after finishing the fight, you are returned to the GvG map
6.) repeat steps 4 and 5 approx. 15 times (and replace siege if necessary)
observed: after approx. 14 or 15 battles there is no sound anymore (e.g. when clicking a button, moving a unit or attacking)
expected: sound should still work
7.) repeat steps 4 and 5 a few more times
observed: the game freezes (in most cases it loads forever when returning to the map) and needs to be reloaded. This bug exists since GvG was implemented.
expected: it should be possible to do even 1000 consecutive fights (if you have that many units) without the need for a reload

Bug #2: Game freezes after checking GvG era maps repeatedly

how to reproduce:
1.) I have the settings as stated with bug #1, make sure that you have these settings when attempting to reproduce (I did not check if bugs #1 and #2 also occur if other settings are selected)
2.) reload the game
3.) go to GvG and check the eras one by one (i.e. iron age, early, high and late medieval eras, colonial age, etc. up to Tomorrow era, in any order you want) by clicking them one by one and returning to overview
4.) repeat step 3 one or two times (or maybe three times)
observed: on some point the game freezes when loading an era map, reload required.
expected: you should be able to check GvG maps 100s of times if you want, without the need for a reload.

1.60.bedb7f4 (22.09.2015 11:02), Andi47 (868769), de5, de_DE, WIN 19,0,0,185, Windows 10, Firefox/41.0, 1920x943, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)
1.61.f7308fb (01.10.2015 12:01), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 19,0,0,185, Windows 10, Firefox/41.0, 1920x943, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)

Last edited:

DeletedUser5800

Yes, both bugs have been present since GvG started. Another one is checking the map rankings page. More often than not it freezes when you change pages a few times.

NorMags

Baronet
My question is : How could GvG be released to live servers when it have such a serious bug? And how about two players fight the same army at the same time? With one of them beeing interrupted and no Points AND damaged troops as a result? I find this VERY annoying!! The game gets worse With every New Era!!

talamanta

Baronet
Pathfinder
tests
1-Operating System: Windows 8,1
Browser:Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
almost same result, problem
2-Operating System: Windows 8,1
Browser: Maxthon Cloud or Waterfox
a little better
Maxthon Cloud has a useful an auxiliary program for testing memory
http://prntscr.com/99nej2