• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Halloween 2017

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser8341

In beta are players that si specialized for events. With more that 25 produciton buildings.
And you sum all that time into one number. But like that is game not work. All is paralel. Why I should wait until a quest to recruting units appears?
I was responding to a claim made in relation to beta. Are you saying that some players are advised ahead of time what the quests will require?

Are you saying that people should play the game based on knowledge of what quests will appear? Thanks to a few players, some unofficial information is available by the time quests get to live servers but - as the fan wiki points out - this information is subject to change, as it is not issued by the game. If players should have foreknowledge in order to complete a quest, Inno should be publishing that quest in full and linking to it.

But is not to imposible complete all in time limit.
I don't think anyone said it was impossible, just not practical for people who have lives outside of sitting on their computer all day.

And for hardcore players with preparation is posible to complete in two days.
So long as they know the quests in advance, without variation (not possible at beta or even live stages without insider knowledge); have plenty of space for (otherwise redundant) production buildings; willing to spend diamonds; are at the end of the map .. sure, it's possible.

DeletedUser8341

I don't think we will be seeing alternatives for the quests in this years event. We stated originally that over time we would be offering more alternatives for some quests, but that doesn't mean that all quests will have alternatives.
I will discuss it more with the higher ups, but I suspect there will always be quests, and parts of historical quest lines and events that will require some type of map or tech actions. After all, they are a big part of the game, and to discount those actions in events I don't think is reasonable to expect.
As always this comes down to a players choice, measuring the rewards in an event against their own play styles and goals.
Thank you for the clarification, though it isn't what I wanted to hear.

From events this year (I've only been playing since about Easter time) I have cities needing at least a dozen more upgrade/reno kits before it would make sense for me to take the city forward an age. It sounds like I'll be constricted in this Event just because I have played the previous events dilligently. Even though I can still get the Graveyard and one upgrade, I can't get the big prize and the entertainment value of Forge of Empires will be harmed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thank you for the clarification, though it isn't what I wanted to hear.

I understand it is not what many of you wanted to hear. Though please be aware it doesn't mean that more alternatives may not become available in the future. I just don't think there is enough time for major changes to these event quests before release to the live servers this year.

LadyHecate

Marquis
I just don't think there is enough time for major changes to these event quests before release to the live servers this year.
Really!
The Developers can change the skill sets of The Kraken almost overnight but can't adjust a few event quests not due for release for almost a month!

DeletedUser

Really!
The Developers can change the skill sets of The Kraken almost overnight but can't adjust a few event quests not due for release for almost a month!

The Kraken was a single feature that had it's boosts adjusted. That is very different than multiple quests, coming up with alternatives, and balancing them across multiple ages.

LadyHecate

Marquis
That is very different than multiple quests, coming up with alternatives, and balancing them across multiple ages.
The main Halloween quest being challenged is the Research A Technology one with no alternative. Let's have a look at the most recent event quest lines:

Gandhi quest line: "Research a technology OR donate 300 goods either from your current era of the previous era to the guild treasury"
Fall event quest line: "Research a technology OR Donate 300 goods from your age or the previous age to your Guild Treasury"
Galileo quest line: "Research a technology OR Donate 300 goods from your age or the previous age to your Guild Treasury from your stockpile"
Marilyn quest line: "Research a technology OR Donate 300 goods to your Guild Treasury from your stockpile"

Hopefully, you might be able to spot the common theme here!

DeletedUser5955

at least once i am shocked (positivly)
i like this haloween event more then any others haloween events or any other changed events.
the only thing that is useless is black tower.

Here is why:
Size - it takes 20 quares and ot gives:
- 5 goods per 24 hrs ( any other production building will give 20)
- 198 medals per 24 hrs (victory towers of amount of 20: 280x20 = 5600 / 7 = 800 per day)
- 3 forgbe points: 5 soks will give 5 forge points in 24 hours.
and it takes 3940 happines,

so this building is actualy the worst event building ever.
so if you want to make it better:

suggestion 1:
instead of taking happyness it should give happyness: either 20 000 without option to polish or 12 000 with option to polish.

suggestion 2:
since it takes happynes it should also give way way way more then "normal" event building:

- 25 goods
- 1 000 medals
- 5 Forge points
- minus 6 000 happyness

thephantom

Emperor
InnoGames

Here is why:
- 198 medals per 24 hrs (victory towers of amount of 20: 280x20 = 5600 / 7 = 800 per day)

That's a weird way to compare buildings. :D
- Any other production building will give 0 medals or forge points
- Victory towers don't give goods or forge points
- SoKs won't provide any goods or medals

The Black Tower gives all of those things, so if it actually gave out as much as a goods production building & 20 victory towers & 5 SoKs, it'd be replacing all of those at 1/3rd of the space. On top of that I only need one single motivate for the Black Tower, while for example for 5 SoKs I would need 5. Just like I would need less roads connection for Black Tower.

Last edited:

Lionhead

Baronet
at least once i am shocked (positivly)
i like this haloween event more then any others haloween events or any other changed events.

Here is why:

so if you want to make it better:

suggestion 1:
instead of taking happyness it should give happyness: either 20 000 without option to polish or 12 000 with option to polish.

suggestion 2:
since it takes happynes it should also give way way way more then "normal" event building:

- 25 goods
- 1 000 medals
- 5 Forge points
- minus 6 000 happyness

Black Tower is one of the better single event buildings I have seen in quite some time.
Here is why:

Size: 20 squares
Provides:
- 5 goods = 1/4 of a regular goods building. The smallest goods building in OF is 28 squares. 1/4 of 28 = 7 squares.
- 198 Medals. A Victory Tower, though providing more medals = 1 square.
- 3 fp´s. 3 SoK´s = 12 squares.

So the same amount of squares as the Black Tower. The negative happiness is rarely a concern for OF-players.
The BT only requires a single lane road connection. OF goods buildings require 2-lane. 3 SoK´s requires at best 3 single lane connections.
Though pre-ME players face regular goods buildings of somewhat smaller size, they can always hang on to the BT in inventory untill they feel it´s better justified to build, but overall I´d say it´s very well balanced, even to a point where it´s right up there amongst the best single events buildings.

DeletedUser8341

I just don't think there is enough time for major changes to these event quests before release to the live servers this year.
Might we wonder what is the point of releasing to a beta server at all, when there is no time allotted for changes?

Might we wonder why we are prompted for feedback, if that feedback is not able to result in change?

DeletedUser7059

The main Halloween quest being challenged is the Research A Technology one with no alternative. Let's have a look at the most recent event quest lines:

Gandhi quest line: "Research a technology OR donate 300 goods either from your current era of the previous era to the guild treasury"
Fall event quest line: "Research a technology OR Donate 300 goods from your age or the previous age to your Guild Treasury"
Galileo quest line: "Research a technology OR Donate 300 goods from your age or the previous age to your Guild Treasury from your stockpile"
Marilyn quest line: "Research a technology OR Donate 300 goods to your Guild Treasury from your stockpile"

OR Donate 9.999 goods from your age to your Guild Treasury and Compleate event instantly.
Do you take my point? ;)

DeletedUser8471

Thank you for taking the time to find this information and laying it out for all to see! Great point to make ^_^

I understand your point, and I will bring it up :)

If this is the only quest that is changed, then it would make the questline possible to complete for all but BA players. The map completion quests can most certainly be done if a player challenges them self to acquire the goods needed to negotiate.

If I could I would like to make a small suggestion for future events (or this one if possible still) for the "Treasury Good Donation" alternate for the "Research a Technology" quest, or any others like it (though like I said truthfully this is the only quest that becomes impossible for players not wishing to advance yet, but still would like the challenge of completing). Since BA players cannot donate their own Age goods to the Treasury, could the parameters of the alternate have something like this:

"Donate X goods to your Guild Treasury, from either your current era, or an directly above or below your current era."

I feel his little addition would make those crazy BA challengers to complete quests if they took on the extra challenge to do so.

DeletedUser

Might we wonder what is the point of releasing to a beta server at all, when there is no time allotted for changes?

Might we wonder why we are prompted for feedback, if that feedback is not able to result in change?

With events we are primarily looking for bugs of course, and then any glaring flaws in the mechanics of the event itself, and get those things fixed before live release. I don't recall us ever redesigning an event quest line between Beta testing and live release in all my years working here in support.

Yes when there is enough feedback asking for changes to the quests themselves, then that is often considered in the next years events, but redesign like that is not realistic for the same years event.

A good example is that this year players do not have to have their highest graveyard in their cities before a certain quest triggers that then asks them to sell it. There was so much confusion over this in the past, that this year that has been removed completely. So feedback did matter, but the quests did not change in between Beta testing and live release in the same years event.

As to your feedback comment, I disagree. We prove here time and again that Beta's feedback does affect change before live release. Many things have been changed and rebalanced before live release just in the last few months, and I am proud of that. I think the game continues to improve and grow, and I know the Beta community has been an integral part in this happening. I hope to see this continue for a long time to come.

I am aware how many players get frustrated with quest requirements that at the time are difficult for them to achieve, but that does not mean the quest itself is flawed. However I don't think it's fair that anytime feedback doesn't produce an immediate change on the code side, that players automatically start saying we never listen, because that is just not true.

Keep the feedback coming, and I will continue to pass it on and do everything I can to represent what all of you want from the game.
Thanks all :)

DeletedUser8277

Prior to the change of adding in an alt I never did anything in my tech tree or in CMap unless and event called for it. This was one of the main complaints made prior to the alt, that it felt you could only 'play' the game in event time or else you would screw yourself. Even those against the alt and promoted planning ahead acknowledged that planning ahead meant stopping the game.

Because of the very positive change of the Alt I have not played like this. I went ahead of my Cmap, I went ahead on tech in non event time. I do now understand after reread of the announcement that it was only 'some' events, but since alts have been in each event since I felt I could finally play and I did.

In essence I am now screwed and part of that is because I trusted that the devs understood all the issues with making a player advance before they can or want to and fixed the issue. They made it incredibly expensive but it was something.

I will not be in a position on live to move in eras because I just dropped a decent amount of real money getting multiple palace sets that are locked to that era. I need to accumulate enough one-ups to change some of them (since I wont have room for those + goods buildings) to the new era. I'm also working on GBs. I didn't spend money on palace sets to get rid of them in 1 era after 3 months of use.

If I had known advancement could still be made a requirement I would not have rushed through my CMap a couple of weeks ago to get the 2nd RQ giver, which I will lose if I go further. I would have done as I had before the alt and stopped playing 'the game' in non event times. Sad we have to go back to that.

DeletedUser8341

As to your feedback comment, I disagree. We prove here time and again that Beta's feedback does affect change before live release.
Someone would seem to disagree with you, for this event:
Dress it up as you will - and I do not dispute that comments have in the past made a difference - it seems that this time, comments made to align this event with recent events never stood a chance. As you say, many things have been changed and rebalanced before live release just in the last few months, so it is even more disappointing that they never stood a chance this time around.

I am encouraged that comments, in general, can make changes in years to come. I am discouraged that comments which have been encouraged as feedback for this event apparently never stood a chance of making a difference.

I am aware how many players get frustrated with quest requirements that at the time are difficult for them to achieve, but that does not mean the quest itself is flawed. However I don't think it's fair that anytime feedback doesn't produce an immediate change on the code side, that players automatically start saying we never listen, because that is just not true.
You miss my point. It is not that MY game will be made more difficult.

I made the point earlier that the game is indeed flawed in that it is encouraging counter-strategic playing; it is encouraging players to take actions that do not make strategic sense, or - if one takes the view that nobody has to do these events anyway (newsflash: nobody has to even play) - then a great many players will be excluded because the game is set up so that it makes sense to wait at the end of an era before moving on.

My frustration is not even that this will not be changed. My frustration is that it never could be changed.

Yes when there is enough feedback asking for changes to the quests themselves, then that is often considered in the next years events, but redesign like that is not realistic for the same years event.
There was plenty of feedback asking for alternates to forcing someone to move on an era. Changes where made. All this year so far (since Easter, at least) there have been alternates. The feedback I have seen on this are thankful of it and generally encouraging, even with suggestions that the alternatives are made harder.

However, where is that feedback taken into account for this event? What feedback is there that has indicated that a reversion is desirable? Is this event singled out as an exception to responding to feedback, or is this going to be a general reversion? Players are right to feel frustrated when a positive change in the game is reverted.

qaccy

Emperor
While disheartening to some, I don't have a problem with a research (or any) quest having no alternative. It's nice when they're there, but that doesn't in any way imply that there always has to be alternatives. Even with the past few events that had alternatives for virtually every quest task, there were occasional quests with no alternatives. As always, if you feel like a quest is too disruptive to your game you have the option to just not complete it - I think the issue here though is that people want the prize(s) from the event, and some may feel, even though it's possible for them to complete, that they shouldn't 'have' to do something that may be challenging in order to receive the rewards. Some players may be legitimately painted into a corner regarding getting an event finished in time, especially with a relatively short duration for completing 45 quests, but I know some folks here are definitely going to be exaggerating a bit about the situation as well.

DeletedUser

Very nice prizes and cute avatars.
Under this conditions I won't consider doing it on live though.
I am on beta doing these events to advise other's on live wether or not it is worth it.
And I do love Halloween bad!
It feels like we kinda lured in to be brutally honest.
It starts very doable I even thought this was because of the Halloween spirit.
But as I continued it became very unreasonable I think that's why I felt lured in.
Other than that great work on the designs, just lovely :)

The scarecrow may be somewhat bigger though than where it stands on, I think, it is barely visible sadly.