• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Forge Bowl 2018

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

Lionhead

Baronet
I totally agree with this statement, which shows how bad the game is.

Forge of Empires is advertised as a strategy game. If that's what it is, it should not be a requirement to sign up on a beta server to understand how to strategise.

If an event is forcing technological advancement, or Continent Map advancement, this should be made clear to ALL users up front, so that ALL players can actually strategise this 'strategy' game.

These questions should be answered now, and included in the notice for all events:
  • Will this event require a technology to be studied (without any alternative other than abandoning the event)?
  • Will this event require a province to be scouted or acquired (without any alternative other than abandoning the event)?

I think I provided you with the Wikepedia defenition of Strategy in another thread, which states, that strategy is a high level plan to achieve one or more goals under conditions of uncertainty.
So actually no prior knowledge of specific conditions in certain parts of the game (such as events), can be a valid reason to dismiss this game as a strategy game.

Last edited:

qaccy

Emperor
I totally agree with this statement, which shows how bad the game is.

Forge of Empires is advertised as a strategy game. If that's what it is, it should not be a requirement to sign up on a beta server to understand how to strategise.

If an event is forcing technological advancement, or Continent Map advancement, this should be made clear to ALL users up front, so that ALL players can actually strategise this 'strategy' game.

These questions should be answered now, and included in the notice for all events:
  • Will this event require a technology to be studied (without any alternative other than abandoning the event)?
  • Will this event require a province to be scouted or acquired (without any alternative other than abandoning the event)?

Doesn't it kind of diminish your claim of 'strategy' if you know beforehand what's coming? Besides, whether or not a certain quest task is required, even if you don't know for sure, you can always *strategize* around whichever one is worse for you in case it ends up happening. You don't ask to see the deck after it's been shuffled when you're playing a card game so you can 'strategize' how to play, and I kind of see it the same way here. It shouldn't be an expectation that we're given a full list of quests prior to an event beginning, because that in my opinion actually makes the game even less strategic. Part of the game is sometimes adapting to sudden or unexpected events.

DeletedUser8341

I think I provided you with the Wikepedia defenition of Strategy in another thread, which states, that strategy is a high level plan to achieve one or more goals under conditions of uncertainty.
So actually no prior knowledge of specific conditions in certain parts of the game (such as events), can be a valid reason to dismiss this game as a strategy game.
I do not recall such a previous response.

I have learnt to have a healthy disdain for Wikipedia as a reference. I've just looked up on the online Oxford English Dictionary:
1. A plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim.

2. [mass noun] The art of planning and directing overall military operations and movements in a war or battle.

Often contrasted with "tactics" (see tactic)

2.1count noun A plan for directing overall military operations and movements.​
Uncertainty is clearly not a requirement in order to develop a strategy.

Naturally, it is rare (if not impossible) to know everything before developing a strategy but to stratagise before having adequate knowledge is ridiculous - that isn't a strategy, it's a fumble about in the dark.

Doesn't it kind of diminish your claim of 'strategy' if you know beforehand what's coming? Besides, whether or not a certain quest task is required, even if you don't know for sure, you can always *strategize* around whichever one is worse for you in case it ends up happening. You don't ask to see the deck after it's been shuffled when you're playing a card game so you can 'strategize' how to play, and I kind of see it the same way here. It shouldn't be an expectation that we're given a full list of quests prior to an event beginning, because that in my opinion actually makes the game even less strategic. Part of the game is sometimes adapting to sudden or unexpected events.
I understand what you are saying and I agree with you, in some measure.

From when I first started playing this game at Easter, quests never asked us to research or scout without having an alternative. I read on these forums that it hadn't always been the case but that Inno had listened to the pleas of its customers and (as I understood it) had changed so that alternatives would be given. Customers want to be able to research an era (the game pushes us to do so, putting the last military unit right at the end) and yet also need the time to gather goods, level up GBs and enjoy playing in that era before moving on. The game has become more involved and complex over the years and Inno seemed to recognise that this means a necessity to spend time in an era before progressing.

The idea that Inno could listen to their customers and yet only sometimes not give alternatives is stupid - it makes no difference to planning decisions to sometimes give alternatives but other times not. The only way that a 'sometimes we will give alternatives' can make any sense is if players are given vital information about the event up-front. That way, they can decide to not get involved in it, or more usefully, can decide to move forward an era before (or when) the event starts. Instead, people who had good reason to believe they would not be forced to research earnt a bunch of buildings in the Winter Event in one age, only to find they had been snookered because they would all be outdated.

One cannot form a strategy without knowledge.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
To the vast majority of people, "football" is a game played where people kick a ball around with their feet. It is not, by defintion, a game which people in the USA call 'football' but which is not played with a foot.

I strongly suggest that the event is called "American Football".

This would be understood by everybody, avoids confusion, and avoids it being inaccurate according to most people in the world.

The history of calling games "Football" is derived from the fact they were played on foot rather than horseback - the term could refer to soccer football or rugby football or american football - and they all fit the bill, it has nothing to do with whether or not you kick the ball with your foot. Which you're referring to is typically determine from context - the adjective in front is often not present.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator

What's meant by conditions of uncertainty is often merely not being able to consider every possible path. You may still have perfect information and have this be the case. As an example, chess is definitely considered a strategy game. You know how all the pieces can move, where they're located, and what the win conditions are. You still need to use strategy rather than pure calculation because of the intractible number of possibilities. Conversely Poker is a strategy game that banks exclusively on what you don't know (your opponent's cards, future draws) to present issues.

Whether or not we know what patch contents, event questlines, etc are in advance does not necessarily imply that this is or is not a strategy game. The existence of longterm goals and the (hopefully) muddy picture as to what the best path is to reach those goals are what makes it a strategy game. To me a big part of what's killed the fun is I no longer have any longterm goals - i have things i can do, but i'm not sure why i'm doing them other than i might as well be doing something.

DeletedUser8362

What rewards does this 6x upgradeable object supply and what size is it...

Please :)

DeletedUser8150

The history of calling games "Football" is derived from the fact they were played on foot rather than horseback - the term could refer to soccer football or rugby football or american football - and they all fit the bill, it has nothing to do with whether or not you kick the ball with your foot. Which you're referring to is typically determine from context - the adjective in front is often not present.

I rather agree with Prinza. For probably 192/193 sovereign states Football means the game where the ball is kicked not American Football.

There is a circle of hell reserved for using 'soccer football' as a phrase!:p

DeletedUser8362

simply click on the upgrade kit and you will see

but like we all you must wait until tomorrow

If you could post it tomorrow that would be cool... as I don't play on beta... one world is enough :)

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I rather agree with Prinza. For probably 192/193 sovereign states Football means the game where the ball is kicked not American Football.

And there'd be some who'd feel the same about the phrase 'american football' :p

DeletedUser

if you need to say the land with it it can't be the real football :D

DeletedUser7951

The event is called Forge Bowl. I assume it's neither American Football or Football. More something that involves the use of forges (blacksmiths).

DeletedUser8404

No, football means the same here in Canada as it does in the US...except our fields are slightly larger and I think there are a few rules differences. (I'm not into sports, so don't ask me what those differences might be.) Also like the US, we use "soccer" to refer to what many others call "football". That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard the phrase "soccer football", so I'm in complete agreement with that being a circle of hell. ;)

DeletedUser8341

And there'd be some who'd feel the same about the phrase 'american football' :p
Google has no matches for "soccer football" but plenty for "American football"
5E769ACC-ED66-43F0-A3CF-5123BC3F8779.jpeg

The idea that football is so named because it is a game played on feet and not a horse is quaint but inaccurate. There are records of football in the 14th century played between rival feudal lords' peasants : people who certainly would not have had an alternative of riding horses! The first records of horse-mounted ball games comes in the 17th century and those were battle-skill games trying to hit balls with blunt lances.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Polo's been around a lot longer than the 14th century. That peasants would not be able to play it does not mean they would not know of its existence and need to make a distinction :)

DeletedUser

what happened to
"we can't say the exact starting time because that would overload the server"
when players were asking in the forum when the event will start ?

DeletedUser5882

I strongly suggest that the event is called "American Football".

I think this is more of a question about what English is used in the Beta Foe! That is the one to be clear.

I found it usually confusing whenever choosing the English language for an app/program. There always is 2 English languages to be chosen; UK or American. With confusions like the one you mentioned, I understand better why there are 2 different options for what we know as the same language. There is the cultural aspect as well.

In this case, Inno needs to decide what English they are using and also make it clear to their members. Because the term football used here (as in rugby/American football) is something of American origin which is why the "American" part was added to separate it from the one played by feet only. From historical perspective, the one played by feet was first called football and the American football was later named as football.

I believe in respecting all types of languages, but the type of language used by entities especially if they are in constant interaction with their patrons (of different culture and language backgrounds), should have a clear format... or a good explanation like "this is the American week and all activities are American based"..