• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] Oceanic Future Part 3

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Agreed that poison doesn't seem to be very useful. Maybe in some off chance where you leave a target with 1 HP after attacking it, but that's pretty rare (especially in GE) and even then, it's a coin flip whether the unit will actually be poisoned. It seems like it was intended as some sort of 'bypass' for Reactive Armor and Force Field, but it's too slow-acting to really be effective. However, that doesn't stop Mantas from hitting very hard and also having pretty high defense, while being a fairly mobile unit as well. Their niche is narrowed rather heavily due to Turturrets being a no-brainer against heavy units, but I think that can be said for most units at this point. Turturrets are almost definitely the strongest unit in OF, but they have weaknesses that they cannot negotiate. Mantas work great for taking out Eels and Dragon Drones, for example, while the Turturrets can take out just about everything else (even Subs, provided they do so before entering Contact range). I believe the time has come for us to start moving past the time-tested 'strategy' of '7 rogues plus 1 other unit' and start pairing two or more units together in a battle. You start to get a better feel of how each unit is intended to be used when you aren't trying to brute force your way through each battle using just one type of unit.

I agree that 7 rogues is mostly dead but that's really all about turturrets and the fact you eat a bit of stray damage if you include rogues... I have yet to use mantas on offense - on defense they are a bit hardier it seems taking 3-4 hits from a hover tank they usually can't reach instead of 2 - but still allows 8 hovers > all to continue to work (or at least it's never mantas that breaks it from working). So OF combat remains extremely boring...

My bigger issue still remains : there needs to be a (LARGE) goods sink whereby either many low age players all will want a set of OF goods for a GB - atlantis museum just didn't have wide enough appeal, or high age players will want to consume all the OF goods they can get their hands on (i.e. what GvG used to accomplish). I'd hoped you'd learned your lesson in AF with orangery saving the economy (which fwiw was an excellently designed building - both useless and appealing at the same time - everyone seems to want one even though most people really shouldn't be spending the space on it) and would have something in OF by now but here i am posting 200 OF goods for 100 AF goods and regretting ever having entered OF which in turn makes me not want to play my lower age cities because what are they progressing towards - ultimately a dead end or misery - why bother?

qaccy

Emperor
I surely find GE easier now after drones were replaced my mantas on lvl 3 and 4. Noticing same tendency in guild also - GE battle scores seem to be lower now - meaning less battles lost/retreated.
Haven't tried them in attack yet but honestly don't plan to.
Subs and turtles work great against mantas so they can be countered pretty much always before they even get a chance to hit.

You're essentially saying here that 'a unit easily beats a unit it's boosted against'. For my own example, eels work great against turtles. Following your logic, that means turtles are bad. Is that true? Basically, you're not really making the right points when you try to argue about a specific unit being bad, because you're trying to say that a unit is unusable when it's weak to...its weaknesses. Does that make sense?

I agree that 7 rogues is mostly dead but that's really all about turturrets and the fact you eat a bit of stray damage if you include rogues... I have yet to use mantas on offense - on defense they are a bit hardier it seems taking 3-4 hits from a hover tank they usually can't reach instead of 2 - but still allows 8 hovers > all to continue to work (or at least it's never mantas that breaks it from working). So OF combat remains extremely boring...

My bigger issue still remains : there needs to be a (LARGE) goods sink whereby either many low age players all will want a set of OF goods for a GB - atlantis museum just didn't have wide enough appeal, or high age players will want to consume all the OF goods they can get their hands on (i.e. what GvG used to accomplish). I'd hoped you'd learned your lesson in AF with orangery saving the economy (which fwiw was an excellently designed building - both useless and appealing at the same time - everyone seems to want one even though most people really shouldn't be spending the space on it) and would have something in OF by now but here i am posting 200 OF goods for 100 AF goods and regretting ever having entered OF which in turn makes me not want to play my lower age cities because what are they progressing towards - ultimately a dead end or misery - why bother?

I don't think It's entirely because of turtles, though that's certainly a factor. It's also because there are so many different units and unit ability combinations now, it's very difficult for one unit to be able to handle everything on its own (aside from the separate issue that hover tanks are causing currently). In some ways this makes level 2 of GE trickier than level 3/4, where the AF units start getting phased out. And unless a rogue gets transformed before it gets a chance to move or is actually able to attack something while it's still a rogue, you would have been better off using a non-rogue unit in that army slot, because being able to attack is almost always better than skipping a turn (which is essentially what happens when a rogue gets to move before being transformed).

Anyway, in the time since my last post I've continued experimenting with mantas and find them to render dragon drones almost completely obsolete. In a nutshell, the only situation where using dragons instead of mantas is a potential solution is against an opponent with a lot of artillery and not much else, but in that situation you could simply use your own turtles and wipe them out first with careful aim. Mantas outclass drones against basically everything except for exactly artillery units. I should probably add in that I never thought mantas were amazing units, but they're certainly not as bad as people want to try to claim.

And finally, for a bit more opinion, I still think that subs need to have one of their abilities traded for flying. I guess I have it too ingrained in my head that anti-artillery units should be essentially immune to artillery or should at least be able to hit them on the first turn. With how powerful turtles are, I feel like subs miss the mark here on both counts, though at least they get to move first so they can spread away from other units to avoid the mortar fire.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I don't think It's entirely because of turtles, though that's certainly a factor. It's also because there are so many different units and unit ability combinations now, it's very difficult for one unit to be able to handle everything on its own (aside from the separate issue that hover tanks are causing currently). In some ways this makes level 2 of GE trickier than level 3/4, where the AF units start getting phased out. And unless a rogue gets transformed before it gets a chance to move or is actually able to attack something while it's still a rogue, you would have been better off using a non-rogue unit in that army slot, because being able to attack is almost always better than skipping a turn (which is essentially what happens when a rogue gets to move before being transformed).

Honestly i haven't really been using rogues for most GE encounters since AF (plasma + BF was my bread and butter back then) But i feel turtles are what's forced other people to come around. I find OF abilities rather underwhelming as a whole - not just in the hover tanks are too good against them sense but also in the 'so many of these units feel useless' sense. Back in AF i used practically every AF unit for one fight or another in GE and in their specific situations they shined. In OF i really only have 3 setups : dragon drones, hover tanks, and turtles. One hovertank fight i use a couple turtles on to clear the 8 crabs cleanly so my 6 hover tanks can then take out 8 eels. I use a couple crabs with the turtles at times to handle the odd dragon drone or eel they can't hit. I almost never use subs outside of GvG where the fact they can provide a messy auto win vs anything is important. I view mantas as inferior subs (they do have higher stats but not against anything that matters). I use eels for raiding the neighborhood for fun, they could fill in for hover tanks in some fights if i thought it through probably - but overall they're just harder to use because of less range and bush is less common than plains)

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Any news on OF goods becoming worth more than a bucket of warm spit? A GB that will have some amount of popularity or a new and innovative feature that uses goods in 'as many as you want for something useful' manner?

DeletedUser8471

A GB that produces diamonds would be nice :D
Seed vault? Think that's as close as we'll get. Curious to know if anyone has bothered taking that to ridiculously high levels to know if it begins raining diamonds.

DeletedUser7059

Seed vault? Think that's as close as we'll get. Curious to know if anyone has bothered taking that to ridiculously high levels to know if it begins raining diamonds.
Its probably not worthy even try. ;)

DeletedUser

the Chateau also increases the diamonds you get ;)

at level 80 you will get them twice per week on average

DeletedUser8471

the Chateau also increases the diamonds you get ;)

at level 80 you will get them twice per week on average
That's not bad then actually, if your main goal is just to build a Diamond mine. Will keep that in mind :)

qaccy

Emperor
That's not bad then actually, if your main goal is just to build a Diamond mine. Will keep that in mind :)

Highly dependent on the amount of people you aid, and of course it's still always random. This of course compounded by the fact that you'd need a level 80 Seed Vault, potentially on multiple worlds if you're truly talking about farming Diamonds. I'm not sure if that's worth pursuing though - at that point, I'd personally be spending so much time playing the game that I'd earn more diamonds by earning more disposable income to spend on buying them normally.

DeletedUser8471

Highly dependent on the amount of people you aid, and of course it's still always random. This of course compounded by the fact that you'd need a level 80 Seed Vault, potentially on multiple worlds if you're truly talking about farming Diamonds. I'm not sure if that's worth pursuing though - at that point, I'd personally be spending so much time playing the game that I'd earn more diamonds by earning more disposable income to spend on buying them normally.

The ideal way to maximize profits from Seed Vault would be to drop your guild once a week and join every autojoin guild, Aiding every person possible on the server. (I have done that to get a large coin buffer in IA and it took me about 2 days to hit up everyone, it gets slower as you get down to less populated guilds)

Essentially you would complete GE1-4 in your main guild, drop after finishing level 4 and guild hop, saving your secondary guild for dead last, so you could complete GE1-4 the following week before returning to your main guild (repeating the Aid all autojoin procedure again)

Albeit this would take a lot of effort into gaining diamonds and I can't see it as being a thing to do all the time. And yes earning more actual income would be much easier, but for those of us who really cannot afford to spend money, and their job(s) makes it difficult to obtain a part time job or theybjust plain don't want one, this is an added way to improve diamond farms (essentially filling up all land space with WW/FoY, SV being the king of all wells and fountains)

@BetaTest03 can you throw some numbers my way? Like how any fps it cost for level 80 (I assume it would be the same as AO), as well as the %chance for the bonus? These values are not on the wiki, but for what it does show it seems from 15 it gives .09% (from 11-15 its .08% so it stands to reason the increments get higher as it ages). Thanks! :)

DeletedUser

level 80 gives more than 12.5%
(level 75 has 11.61% with 0.18% increase)

costs are the same as AO