• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] Cultural Settlements

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser7703

I’m only guessing here because we’ve seen different reports throughout this thread and it’s a little confusing... Seems to be random. I’ve gotten 3 expansions unlocked but ALL of my goods increased to 27 to unlock the 4th.

After 1st, 7,2,2,2
After 2nd 15, 7,7,7
After 3rd 27, 27, 27, 27

I may be unlucky if it’s random but is what it is..

No that's an issue with the wrong values being displayed on app, will be fixed on a new version.

https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/expansions-costs.9648/

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Expansions price is going up very fast. With current balancing I dont think its worth to unlock more than 10 expansions, as their price would go up at 100+ goods (and thats with wool, for eaxes it would be 500+ at this point or so).
There is no way to have expansion pay back its price until settlement is done.

Its a bit unintuitive when mead costs go up when you using axes to unlock terrain. My first error was spending 20 axes to unlock terrain as I didnt know counters arent separate for each good.

Some calculations:
1 goods building needs around 35 tiles at best to sustain production of 20 goods per day. Thats max of 9 goods per tile per day. Considering you unlock wool around 8 days before end there is no point unlocking any expansion that has cost above 70 goods.

It's certainly something that'll trap a lot of folks going from 'expansions are forever and the best diamond purchase' to 'all that matters is time to reach point X and even some 'free' expansions aren't going to be worth it'. I don't think the 17 axe expansion with axes is an error - more of just a decision. even the 27 axe expansion it's not going to be a make or break decision whether you pay the 27 axes or pay 45 axes for mead brewery and pay 7 mead saving 400 copper of goods. This is sort of where all the decisions are for the most part. It's an illusion of a choice that won't make a big difference either way.

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
By that logic any diamonds spent are a waste. An expansion bought in the settlement is worth about 320 copper a day (assuming 5 4 hour cycles collected and no impediments/wasted space). In simple terms the settlement's goal is to make 25000 copper, and turn that 25000 copper into the right goods.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
By that logic any diamonds spent are a waste.

Not quite. When you buy an expansion in your city, it's permanent, the expansions don't disappear when you progress to the next Age, so the diamonds you spent to buy it were well invested.

When you buy an expansion for diamonds in the settlement, it's not permanent. In my opinion, that's a throwaway. There are better things for me to spend my diamonds on.

You don't have to buy expansions with diamonds to make the settlement successful. Rather, I don't have to, anyway.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Not quite. When you buy an expansion in your city, it's permanent, the expansions don't disappear when you progress to the next Age, so the diamonds you spent to buy it were well invested.

When you buy an expansion for diamonds in the settlement, it's not permanent. In my opinion, that's a throwaway. There are better things for me to spend my diamonds on.

You don't have to buy expansions with diamonds to make the settlement successful. Rather, I don't have to, anyway.

I mean any diamonds spent on settlement. Point is all diamonds spent on settlements are to buy *time*. Whether 500 diamonds for an expansion or 5 diamonds per good to unlock a tech is a better purchase of time is an open question.

With the goal being to complete the thing not once but 15 times, cutting a few days off a single playthrough with use of some amount of diamonds may not be a waste to all.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
I mean any diamonds spent on settlement. Point is all diamonds spent on settlements are to buy *time*. Whether 500 diamonds for an expansion or 5 diamonds per good to unlock a tech is a better purchase of time is an open question.

With the goal being to complete the thing not once but 15 times, cutting a few days off a single playthrough with use of some amount of diamonds may not be a waste to all.

Gotcha. You are right about the time aspect, I just don't think of it. I get that someone may wish to pursue the fast route. My playstyle is more relaxed, I know I'm not likely to finish in the time allotted, and I'm fine with it. But yes, I see your point.

DeletedUser6484

If using axes each time, the cost per expansion changed like this after buying first three:
The 1st expansion can be bought with either 2 Axes, 2 Mead, 2 Horns, or 2 Wool.
The 2nd one can be bought with either 7 Axes, 2 Mead, 2 Horns, or 2 Wool.
3rd one can be bought with 15 Axes, 2 Mead, 2 Horns, or 2 Wool.
4th one can be bought with either 27 Axes, 7 Mead, 2 Horns, or 2 Wool.

If I buy #4 with 27 axes, does this look right for cost of 5th expansion:
5th one can be bought with either 46 Axes, 15 Mead, 2 Horns, or 2 Wool?

housemouse

Squire
Coins disappear. I just had 60 coins left, now they are gone.

Also yesterday something must have disappeared, because I had to start exactly with shrines and houses 3 productions. In the end it was not enough. I also have the feeling that goods have already disappeared.

housemouse

Squire
Screenshot_2.png

Did you ever see how many axes you need at the end to unlock Mead Hall?
You can not do that in life in 21 days.
So far, each good has flowed in extension.
Screenshot_3.png

DeletedUser9523

Since there is some confusion on the topic:
The costs of expansion depend on the number of expansion you unlock. It doesn't matter which good you have used to pay for it.

See the costs below:
expansion_costs.JPG

To give some info on the design thoughts behind this:
The idea is that you always think whether it is worth it to stay (a bit longer) with the latest unlocked good to get additional expansions, or if you rather go along the advancements to get the next goods building (as it will be more efficient in unlocking expansions).
That's why this table is aligned in the same order as the unlocking of the different Cultural Goods buildings. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9523

Did you ever see how many axes you need at the end to unlock Mead Hall?
You can not do that in life in 21 days.

It is possible, because as you progress, you have more space and more efficient buildings, therefore your daily production of Cultural Goods increases (which makes the later advancement not as expensive as they seem). :)

Before we released this feature, we tested it with the current balancing ourselves - multiple times (of course without diamond spendings). I frequently managed to do it in time with some buffer at the end.
A game design colleague who is usually a great strategist even made it in 15 days!

housemouse

Squire
that means in the end you unlock everything and can not use it at all because you have no space for it.
Great idea. o_O

DeletedUser7529

Gotcha. You are right about the time aspect, I just don't think of it. I get that someone may wish to pursue the fast route. My playstyle is more relaxed, I know I'm not likely to finish in the time allotted, and I'm fine with it. But yes, I see your point.
Not really, if someone goes for time its much better to unlock buildings than waste diamonds on expansions. Their cost is waaay too high to what they offer (64 copper production for every 16 tiles).

DeletedUser7703

Since there is some confusion on the topic:
The costs of expansion depend on the number of expansion you unlock. It doesn't matter which good you have used to pay for it.

Thanks for that, should the 11th expansion cost 99 axes?

Status
Not open for further replies.