• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion: Price of Diamonds

DeletedUser

Howdy all,

I'd like to open a discussion regarding the price of diamonds. Below is my opinion, and feel free to add yours too or discuss my conclusion if you feel differently.

Personally, I feel the present price is a big high regarding the usability of diamonds... you could easily use several hundred a day between building new structures, healing units, buying provinces, and researching technology. I feel the present price discourages the purchase of diamonds, as I truly would not pay ~ $6.49 for a Pillory (450 Happiness) (even with the closed beta sale adding 50%, thus equaling a Tailor shop and 50 diamonds, this number is still rather low). For one to play a strong game using diamonds, he would probably need between 100 and 600 diamonds every day, thus between 6.50 and 12.00 every day or so... two weeks would easily land you over $100 in investments in this game (unless you buy diamonds in bulk, thinking ahead), which is, quite honestly, a little excessive (although I do think this game does deserve some fair payment to its creators for their excellent work).

For Tribal Wars, $6.00 USD can give you a premium account for a month... your $6.00 investment adds a whole entire new level of gameplay to the game and allows you to grow much larger and faster than otherwise.

For this game, only using 100 diamonds a day (that's as if you purchased the resources for two provinces or a villa every OTHER day), you would need 3100 diamonds a month, which would mean buying, most likely, the $64 package of 6500 diamonds every other month (thus an investment of $32 each month), just to buy the smallest of things with diamonds. To play regularly with diamonds, one might require as much as 9,300 a month (if you were to spend 300 diamonds on average per day), or about $100 dollars every month-and-a-third if buying in full bulk.

However, that's if you plan to play by diamonds. If you were to purchase diamonds every once in a while to "get that extra expansion or whatnot", you would still be paying an awful lot, with the function giving the price of 300 diamonds at about $6.50 (to get irrigation, you would need at least 200 points and at most 750 (if you pay for the research points as well).

Thus, I reach my point. I feel either the price of diamonds should be reduced, at least by half, or the value given increased by the same or more. Those with money for games are generally more willing to spend it if the creator is more willing to negotiate a fair price, and the value set right now is not at all fair when compared to other InnoGames products.

Before I end this, I just wish to say that I have no issue with this game, nor its creators nor community. I fully support the commercialization of this game and understand the reasons why money must be generated in the game such as to support the servers, artists, and managers who oversee its production. However, I do not support that the expense of "playing" is so high and earnestly hope the developers and managers are willing to reach a more equitable and open price range so to compensate for the community playing this and other games.

Feel free to leave your feelings, both in support and against. I hope the community can provide an array of inputs on this that will assist InnoGames in developing a more friendly range of values for diamond sales.

Thanks,
-Samulis

DeletedUser735

lol i too agree that it is bit to high price , it should be reduced or may it will be reduced after some time when game gets support of more ppl , But for now it should be halfed or rather increase the no. of diamonds as you said. And Liked this para most accurate as it will hole in ur pockets -_-'' -)

"For this game, only using 100 diamonds a day (that's as if you purchased the resources for two provinces or a villa every OTHER day), you would need 3100 diamonds a month, which would mean buying, most likely, the $64 package of 6500 diamonds every other month (thus an investment of $32 each month), just to buy the smallest of things with diamonds. To play regularly with diamonds, one might require as much as 9,300 a month (if you were to spend 300 diamonds on average per day), or about $100 dollars every month-and-a-third if buying in full bulk."

DeletedUser302

Aside from some of the happiness buildings and supply buildings, I really would only look to use the diamonds currently for expansion slots. Having looked back over the tech tree, it would cost a total of 4500 diamonds to 'unlock' them for use. I'm sure we all use them for forge point dumping so the research is done, the only thing left is to unlock them. I think that's the best use of the diamonds currently. With the extra space you can easily make sure that you have the buildings needed to keep the population happy and produce the goods and supplies needed for continuing through the game.

DeletedUser

I have no complaints its something else i can waste my university money on :D

DeletedUser

Aside from some of the happiness buildings and supply buildings, I really would only look to use the diamonds currently for expansion slots. Having looked back over the tech tree, it would cost a total of 4500 diamonds to 'unlock' them for use. I'm sure we all use them for forge point dumping so the research is done, the only thing left is to unlock them. I think that's the best use of the diamonds currently. With the extra space you can easily make sure that you have the buildings needed to keep the population happy and produce the goods and supplies needed for continuing through the game.

They are very useful with the ability to Purchase/Negotiate for a terrain segment... with a few hundred, you could buy an entire province without having to use a single soldier in only a few seconds. Or, if you want to fight a bit, you can instead opt to spend between 0 and 50 diamonds healing each soldier after each battle so you don't have to wait 8 hours or so for the soldiers to heal... it's very useful. The only issue is, that use is very expensive.

Some people would be just like you and only use them for that aspect... just like some buy premium in TribalWars only once they reach a certain size or such. Others want to use what they are given for all they can and don't mind paying for it... like those who purchase the additional Account Manager and keep premium running constantly.

DeletedUser

This discussion pops up in every game and everytime something is changed in a game premium wise. I have learned that posting your opinion won't change a thing, so you better eat it or leave it.

Nonetheless, I'm bored, and since the thread now exists, here's my worthless 2 cents:

At the current price, personally I would only buy and use diamonds to unlock the expansions, everything else in this game can be done without diamonds, just a bit slower. I'm a bit disappointed that there's not a single gameplay enhancement available - I know this is Grepolis Forge of Empires, but in TribalWars, Premium was mainly offered to buy UI features that made life easier and less tedious. In TW, you can't buy troops, accelerate troop recruitment or other things that would give you an advantage over other players which those couldn't compensate with time. FoE premium however is solely aimed at getting you up in the rankings as quickly as possible.

Maybe it's supposed to be this way nowadays, I don't know.

DeletedUser

At the current price, personally I would only buy and use diamonds to unlock the expansions, everything else in this game can be done without diamonds, just a bit slower.
Hear, hear. I appreciate how balance comes into play, high prices discourage people from going completely overboard and making the game less attractive to potential new players, however I think there's still some breathing room for slightly lower prices. I would question whether the extra revenue per premium-player presently makes up for the potential premium-players who will/can not afford it, although I'm sure the financial аnаlysts at Inno HQ have much better judgement than I do; one can only hope they've determined the best possible price to maximise revenue that funds development.

FoE premium however is solely aimed at getting you up in the rankings as quickly as possible.

Maybe it's supposed to be this way nowadays, I don't know.
14078176.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You must also take into fact that we are not the only ones in a recession, its expensive to run a game of this capacity even at beta. However a suggestion i would like taken into account is that the diamonds are doubled purely for testing purposes as done on other beta versions (i think they were doubled anyway)
This way we can fully test all measures and it would encourage early spending for inno to make even a little bit of profit just from the beta.

DeletedUser

Well, they are multiplied by 1.5, but I think even that is not substantial enough to honestly give you a good amount... Should I have to pay 6.50 for an expansion of my territory? For one more large structure?

DeletedUser3

Setting a higher price from the beginning, gives us more room to test around with prices rather then having low prices and then making them more expensive. =)

DeletedUser735

Setting a higher price from the beginning, gives us more room to test around with prices rather then having low prices and then making them more expensive. =)
Yeah i agree Nino's post too it would be good to start with high price then go to low with the time being. But i have to say the starting price is not high :confused: it is very very high!!. For e.g. 6.50 for an expansion nop , a bit high may be 5.00 or less would be okay :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyxx

Merchant
Yeah i agree Nino's post too it would be good to start with high price then go to low with the time being. But i have to say the starting price is not high :confused: it is very very high!!. For e.g. 6.50 for an expansion nop , a bit high may be 5.00 would be okay :p

Expasion techs costs go up the further you go, I believe irrigation was 250 diamonds (I've researched it, can't remember the exact cost) followed by at least 2 which are 300 diamonds per slot. So given that diamonds cost 5€ for 300, you can very well get several expansions for costing 5€ or less per expansion.

DeletedUser

all the more reason not to buy them till the real game :p

DeletedUser

all the more reason not to buy them till the real game :p

Which is exactly the problem I see.

Nino, I certainly understand where you are coming from... if you were to start TOO low, people would complain when you raise the prices to what would still be reasonable (the British learned this the hard way with the 13 Colonies). However, there is nothing to keep the price high, especially not during testing if you want people to actually test the features and balance diamond usage. Yal-a-dar brings forth a good point in that many will simply not try out diamonds because of the high price, and thus much you could balance through feedback would be cut off. May I suggest selling diamonds at a more reduced price or with a much higher but temporary multiplier (perhaps 2.5 or 3x the diamonds per cost at the least) for the duration of the BETA so the testing phase is not lost.

DeletedUser753

What happens with consumed diamonds when the Beta is reset?

DeletedUser

This should close the talk about wipes etc.

This server will not be reset, this is our BETA server and will stay like that. en.forgeofempires.com will later hold the closed beta. Every player on this server will be allowed to play with either new or old keys. =)

So what ever diamonds we buy, we will keep/ the stuff we have bought

DeletedUser

This should close the talk about wipes etc.

So what ever diamonds we buy, we will keep/ the stuff we have bought
evrything would be refunded when the game launches :)
one of the devs said that somewhere on this forum cant find the thread atm.

DeletedUser

evrything would be refunded when the game launches :)
one of the devs said that somewhere on this forum cant find the thread atm.

If you can find that, then the entire price is irrelevant (for now). If not, it is entirely relevant.

DeletedUser

If you can find that, then the entire price is irrelevant (for now). If not, it is entirely relevant.

oh sorry it was in the FoE skype chat:

[2:37:30 PM] mightysarky: of course you will not lose what you have spent - if we should reset, you will receive the full amount of diamonds that you have bought