• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Feudal Japan

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I don't understand players who write this. Who forces you to play by the clock? Answer - it's you. The time reward is an additional reward for those who feel like they can do more in the game (you can call them as you want it doesn't change the result). The main prize which is Shinto Temple (for Japanese settlement) doesn't have time limits, you can play and still have "a real life" and get your prize afterward.
P.S. I have only one lvl5 Runestone from Vikings, never felt bothered to get the gold reward every time. Am I sad because I don't have 100500 runestones in my city? Definitely not, LOL

Yup it's me. I want the lvl 9 tree in 6 months, not 12. If I care about the game, of course that's the case - it's the most efficient non-GB in the game, why wouldn't I want it sooner? Which is really my biggest problem - the rewards are *too good*. I don't *want* to do settlements at all (they're boring and tedious) but if I want to keep playing the game, they feel rather mandatory. Even ignoring the time limit to get bonus fragments, I want them done sooner than later so I can get that main prize that's what I'm really after sooner. The only way I won't wind up doing the same thing with the japanese that I did with the vikings is to quit the game as a whole - so I'm trying to be on my way out (will check back late this year when battlegrounds are out to see if they made something that makes the game worth playing again).

Settlements stink of typical mobile games. Lots of activity, more chores than gameplay though. Everybody who puts in the activity succeeds (ok, maybe not quite - there does seem to be a segment of this game's population that finds it "hard"). This is really not the reason I started playing FoE (which had a lot to do with interesting manual battles (almost non-existent now; too much boost available compared to defenses) combined with competitive elements (GvG and neighborhood PvP - both of which have taken a serious beating in terms of relevance to the modern game), and it's quite distressing that it's the way the game has been moving for years.

DeletedUser7959

I want the lvl 9 tree in 6 months, not 12
you can get it, put some time and efforts (money is a solution too, support the game, dev-s also want to eat)
it's the most efficient non-GB in the game, why wouldn't I want it sooner? ... they feel rather mandatory.
The way you feel is something you need to work on. The game was fine until Yggdrasil, or am I missing something and it was unplayable without it?
I don't *want* to do settlements at all
LMAO then do not. Does someone force you? Bullying because you don't have some specific buildings? Find another that suits your playstyle, fortunately, the game has a lot of it. If you're about to build the most efficient city, excuse me, why should it be easy? You can always buy it, if not - play (free game pog).
Which is really my biggest problem
If you read your post you might see that it's all about your problems in the game in all directions.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
LMAO then do not. Does someone force you? Bullying because you don't have some specific buildings? Find another that suits your playstyle, fortunately, the game has a lot of it. If you're about to build the most efficient city, excuse me, why should it be easy? You can always buy it, if not - play (free game pog).

It IS easy. It's just tedious. That's the problem - I don't want it to be easy, I want it to require thought more than tedium though.

If you read your post you might see that it's all about your problems in the game in all directions.

It's about my problems WITH the game. If enough people have problems with the game that the game loses players, then it becomes the game's problem. I don't have control over others though. But I am in preparations to leave the game (am founder of a couple of guilds and would feel terrible to just vanish - guilt over leaving people behind is a big part of why I'm not gone for a long time, so i'll be around for a couple weeks before I go).

DeletedUser10136

Haven't finish 1st yet. But it seems absurd that the 1st time merchant can almost save or break your game.
The merchant should be a nice supplementary, yet it's dominating your game at some point, and you have absolutely no control over it, totally random.
And the normal part of the game is too hard comparing to Vikings, i couldn't do anything for the first 48 hours.
I believe 5%, 10% of random elements in a strategy game is acceptable, so that we have to adjust our plans from time to time. Right now it feels like we are working hard and saving up to buy a lottery.

DeletedUser8859

Excellent Questions! I am currently only in HMA on Beta, so it is only asking me for HMA Goods...so the question is whether or not Special Goods would be needed fo Negotiations once you hit AF, OF, VF or SAM...hopefully, a more advanced Beta player, currently testing out Feudal Japan, will be able to confirm this! :)

Currently special goods like Promethium are used only at Research Tree and in Negotiations in upper levels of GE. This should remain as is, not to expand to to Merchant Negotiations at settlements.

DeletedUser10136

Also, i found it tedious that every turn we have to build 20~30 1x1's like Toros or Runestones, only to remove them 1 minute later. So many times i got dozed off and deleted some 1-hour-building-time production buildings by mistake.
Can we do something about that?

Amdira

Baronet
I still like the merchant and for this first round I was lucky and could set some expansions earlier. Maybe next round it will be different. All in all I think it's ok with random goods offered as within 13 rounds luck will change for everyone and in the end it'll be balanced in some way for all. Even if the merchant's goods would be predictable, not everyone would use them in the same way and there will always be some players complaining, no matter how balanced it is.

Last edited:

Azlin

Farmer
All in all I think it's ok with random goods offered as within 13 rounds luck will change for everyone and in the end it'll be balanced in some way for all.
This is only true if you ignore the time limits. The lower amount of Dojo-fragments from a missed deadline won't be balanced out by finishing the next settlement 3 days early. Aside from that, I think the merchant is a good idea.

DeletedUser10136

That's my point. It won't balance out. There is a huge difference between you got the same 13 paintings on 1st day and on 2nd day.
You see it as lucky to get some extra expansions early. But the merchant has already been taken into consideration when they set the time limits. The other parts is much harder than Vikings with less time to finish it.

What worries me is even if i had played everything right and collected on time every turn, i could still fail to get full fragment bonus screwed by merchant.

Umbrathor

Baronet
You see it as lucky to get some extra expansions early. But the merchant has already been taken into consideration when they set the time limits. The other parts is much harder than Vikings with less time to finish it.

What worries me is even if i had played everything right and collected on time every turn, i could still fail to get full fragment bonus screwed by merchant.
Probably the merchant plays a role in determining whether you can finish the later settlements within the first timelimit. I doubt whether Inno has designed it so that the later settlements can only be finished within the timelimit if you have luck at the merchant on the first go.

Inno, could you comment on that please?

If it is the case, then please consider making it possible to reach the merchant earlier on in the game. Getting a x4 on the first 4h run in Vikings greatly speeds up the process, and getting a double x4 even more so (because the second 4h run would guarantee you could unlock Mead AND have enough coins from shrines to start both of them up). So after finishing the first 15 Viking runs, I would abandon any settlement that didn't give two x4 on the first 4h run.

In Japan however, you have to wait about a day before you reach the merchant, and know whether or not you'll have luck on getting expansions from instruments or armor. Which is quite a big difference in reaching the decision point when compared to Vikings.

Damjan88

Merchant
I'm quite happy the way my settlement is going. At little over 4 days in i have 6 expansions (got 3 on the second day, 2 on third and 1 on forth not sure what resources i used but they were all bought with merchant deals) , 4x shoin houses , 6x shinto shrine and 3 goods buildings. I am doing a combination of 4h and 8h coin collection and have more than enough to run 3 goods building on an 8h schedule :D Two days untill i unlock the instrument workshop and tea house, which will allow me to switch from 6x shinto shrine to 2x tea house and have enough space for one of each goods buildings for the final push. With no bonuses and merchant deals counted in i should finish this one in about 6-6.5 days :D Deffinately a more relaxed playstyle compared to the Vikings :D

FrejaSP

Viceroy
All in all, I like this settlement, I still find it very green :D

9 days and 11 hours left
6 Expansions
2 painting and 2 soy beans goods buildings
3 Shinto Shines
3 Shooin-zukuri houses
5 Gasshõ-zukuri Huts
And far from unluck instrument workshop and tea house, need to unlock Torii Gate first

DeletedUser9851

Well a little bit over 8d and 17h left and currently @ Quest # 15...so almost done! I have to say that using the Merchant helps DRAMATICALLY, especially if you need to buy Expansions as soon as possible using more advanced Goods, such as the Instruments, for a much lower price.

So, to me, this is an improvement over the Vikings Settlements...some people will still complain that it is repetitive but, hey, hard work always pays off! :)

Attachments

• feudal.jpg
    feudal.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 26

Outlaw Dread

Baronet
I'd like to see more reliance on strategy and less on luck. The outcome of the first 48 to 72 hours are not really impacted by a player's strategy.
1) Impediments are a bit too numerous, so agree that having the Embassy start more in the middle of the field would give players some more strategic choices/options.
2) For the Merchant, why not offer 4 deals every other cycle, but still restrict a player to only being able to use 3 of them in that 24 hour period. The first cycle would offer 4 deals (only 3 could be used), the next cycle just 3 deals, the 3rd 4, etc. This would let the the player make some choices and have a bit of active participation instead of relying only on luck.
3) SoK 'Fragments' for finishing 9 quests. Fragments? Seriously?? Please provide something worthwhile. At the very least, vary the prize for the 9th quest, changing it with each subsequent settlement. Maybe rotate among i) a SoK with ii) a 1 level upgrade to the current or most recent event building. The latter might really excite some players, and get them to spend some diamonds.
4) My earlier comment still goes. This should be fun, not a drudgery. I get 'drudged' all day at work..... Challenging, requiring patience and strategic thinking: all great and fun. Brainless building and deleting with no ability it be creative or influence outcomes....boring as heck.....

Last edited:

DeletedUser9541

Is there some logical rational for "rewarding" a milestone number of quests (13) with a practically useless handful of fragments? Is it to discourage people (who did 5 quests in vikings, received forge points and restarted) from doing partial Japanese settlements?

DeletedUser9851

Is there some logical rational for "rewarding" a milestone number of quests (13) with a practically useless handful of fragments? Is it to discourage people (who did 5 quests in vikings, received forge points and restarted) from doing partial Japanese settlements?
Not sure about the reasons for those Fragments but, in my case, I will go for them...why? Because once I can assemble a SoK with 15 of those, I will replace an existing lower Era SoK with a SAM Era SoK so that I get more Points from a Ranking perspective (whilst I slowly replace my SoKs with FPs from additional levels of existing GBs) :)

DeletedUser9608

I'd like to see the Merchant timer on mouseover, like you can see other building timers, instead of having to click it to check.

DeletedUser10136

Some random ideas:
1. no confirmation pop-ups when deleting 1x1 decos. A mistake we can live with.
2. If you ran out of idea about milestone rewards. How about some tavern silvers? since it's requested almost everywhere, yet no alternative sources.