• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

I am in the middle of a Viking settlement too. Luckily I already a good chunk of land but it has got much more difficult the roads. How do rearrange from a 2x2 house to 3x3 world without having to sell roads to fit in the new buildings? Japan is even worse with different size building. Too bad I'm new on this server and this is only 2nd Viking settlement.
My one take way is to finish up as many settlements in my other worlds as fast as possible but even there I'm not close to getting finished leveling up Ygg or shinto temple. The Viking one is hard enough but Ygg reward and upgrades make it worth it? Can you even build start a town if you need to pay for the roads?

the yggdrasil gives 30% attack bonus at max and a fair bit of fp so YES it it worth completing it :)

oh and a complete disappointment is that we did NOT get an actual egyptian pyramid as prize to place in our main cities, but instead a bath house (which looks fairly common too), and an obelisk (which does look very egyptian, and i like it) :/

Achaeus

Marquis
The battles are proving to be an issue with the length of time it takes to recruit units. If a player is unwilling to use diamonds to heal their units this part of the feature will take forever to complete. Additionally I have several guild members here in Beta who will not even try it because they are not fighters, there needs to be a negotiate option. They are asking why has Inno essentially locked out the non-fighter player from this feature?
There needs to be a serious re balancing of the requirements vs the currency.
At this point I don't feel the feature is one I would recommend to my guild members in live.

MasterofDeath

Merchant
I haven't played it yet but truly I am not crazy about battles, just never can get the hang of them. From what I've read battles seem to be intrinsic to winning or is it possible to play without them.

aragon82

Merchant
I haven't played it yet but truly I am not crazy about battles, just never can get the hang of them. From what I've read battles seem to be intrinsic to winning or is it possible to play without them.
Its not possible no fights, no vicotries, no currency(loots) to produce goods

DeletedUser9523

Thanks for all the comments so far!

I simply wanted to reply to the perceived difficulty of Egypt and the frustration some of you might feel:
First off, Egypt was supposed to be the most difficult settlement as a playground for those who seek a tough challenge. In Ancient Egypt you will have to use your resources even more carefully, use your impediment removals wisely (or "puzzle" your buildings effectively around the given grid) and fight battles in a way that your losses are kept low.

Feudal Japan has been introduced as a Cultural Settlement with less effort and for everyone who enjoys negotiations while Ancient Egypt is meant to be a counter part to this, making battles mandatory to complete the settlement. Especially since battles have been requested a lot since the very beginning of the Cultural Settlements feature.

Please rest assured that we internally playtested Ancient Egypt several times to make sure that it is possible to beat it with a similar daily investment of time / activity as Vikings or Japan.

Extra Hint: You are not required to try to beat all three battles from the beginning on. I recommend to do the easy + medium battles once you got the War Chariots, and go for all three battles once you got the Elephants.

Migiwa

Merchant

I simply wanted to reply to the perceived difficulty of Egypt and the frustration some of you might feel:
First off, Egypt was supposed to be the most difficult settlement as a playground for those who seek a tough challenge. In Ancient Egypt you will have to use your resources even more carefully, use your impediment removals wisely (or "puzzle" your buildings effectively around the given grid) and fight battles in a way that your losses are kept low.

Feudal Japan has been introduced as a Cultural Settlement with less effort and for everyone who enjoys negotiations while Ancient Egypt is meant to be a counter part to this, making battles mandatory to complete the settlement. Especially since battles have been requested a lot since the very beginning of the Cultural Settlements feature.

Please rest assured that we internally playtested Ancient Egypt several times to make sure that it is possible to beat it with a similar daily investment of time / activity as Vikings or Japan.

Extra Hint: You are not required to try to beat all three battles from the beginning on. I recommend to do the easy + medium battles once you got the War Chariots, and go for all three battles once you got the Elephants.

Hello ! Just a few honest questions for you.

1) Did you playtest the Cultural Settlements as a lambda player or as a "pay to win" type player (meaning with unlimited amount of diamonds to speed up your progression)?

2) Will anybody from Inno or the moderation talk to us about the really bad feedback we gave you about the roads fee in the previous settlements?

Thanks in advance

DeletedUser4409

we internally playtested Ancient Egypt several times
*doubt*, unless with diamonds used generously along the way
use your impediment removals wisely
yeah, removals, pretty amazing huh? not at all, since in return we get impediments on every single expansion, but who cares, what's important is that now players will (i'm pretty sure that you hope so) use diamonds to remove them, since 50 (don't know yet if it's constant, incremental, exponential or whatever) diamonds for impediment removal is far more affordable than 500 for a whole expansion (that i'm pretty sure weren't very popular anyway, high cost + disappearance after completion)

Feanor II

Baronet
First off, Egypt was supposed to be the most difficult settlement as a playground for those who seek a tough challenge. In Ancient Egypt you will have to use your resources even more carefully, use your impediment removals wisely (or "puzzle" your buildings effectively around the given grid) and fight battles in a way that your losses are kept low...

...Please rest assured that we internally playtested Ancient Egypt several times to make sure that it is possible to beat it with a similar daily investment of time / activity as Vikings or Japan.
Genuine question, not trying to be snarky: when you "playtested" this, was it a human player or a computer simulation? If it was a human player, did that person also work around a job (if I don't make a paycheck, I can't spend money on hobbies...), other RL obligations, and even within FoE were they running GvG wars, GBG wars, internally running a guild, doing GE, etc,? I've been playing FoE for several years, I consider myself at least a reasonably proficient and experienced FoE player, and I'll probably just not bother doing this settlement. If I want to be this frustrated by a strategy game I'll just turn up the difficulty on the chess engine I play against. At least then it's over in half an hour or less one way or the other.

Please consider making the road cost be coins/supplies like everything else and shortening the training time on units. Also remove the limit on diamond purchases for impediment removal (you get more money, and I get to not pull my hair out as much). Thank you for your consideration.

Achaeus

Marquis

I guess you have a lot more time than I do to play!

DeletedUser9761

Thank you for the Tip The Envoy, one suggestion to get the War Elephant training center would be to move that quest closer to the beginning of the quest line. Thank you.

kaymedic

Marquis

Did you playtested on your speed servers or with the normal time like we have to do? I don't mind a little challenge but 27 days seems very long for the reward. Actually the emissaries are great but the bath could be a little better compared to the other 2 settlemnent rewards.

Now it feels like old Yggdrassil before buffing it to 30% att. Also 8 units are nothing for players with high alcatraz who should be the players you aimed at with this more challenging settlement.

Sl8yer

Regent
First off, Egypt was supposed to be the most difficult settlement as a playground for those who seek a tough challenge.

Does that mean it will be the last?

Did you do those tests while you were also active in GBG and a tedious event like St Patricks day?

Egypt needs to be done in 28 days. Japan needed 14 days and Vikings 12. Can you explain how that is a similar daily investment of time?

DeletedUser10265

That's interesting, because the japan settlement is much easier than vikings, requires much less time and if you forget to set production overnight, you have still plenty of time to get the gold chest. in the vikings settlement, if you don't set your shrines to produce coppers every single hour during the day and if you happen to forget about overnight production (because you decided to meet friends in the evening), you are screwed. This doesn't sound like well tested.

You changed the final quest in the vikings settlement 5 months after release, now you want to charge us for roads a huge amount of coppers over a year after the vikings were released. Under the pressure of players community you added embassy production and increased the starting amount of coppers/kobans. Does it sound like well tested by the sht-Deployment Team and well beta-tested? I bet you are going to release the egyptian settlement to live servers within a month, after the beta players finish the 1st settlement, just like you did before. I bet the change of road cost will be made to live servers at the same time. Do you even give the beta players a possibility to test it? No, because you "know better".

DeletedUser5097

I already tought that Egypt was heavely focust on players who love to fight and might be
expirenced in FoE battles. I love it that Egypt is a bit more challangin even while it's a lot
more longer than Vikings and Japanes settlement. The units are well ballanced and a it's
clearly more important to chooise the right units deppanding on their units' bonusses.
Is there any chance that an future settlement will offer the chooise to iether fight or
negotiate?

Maybe it's an idea to give also an indication on what type of difficulity level the settlements
are? For example Japanese settlement: Eassy, Egypt hard and Vikings Medium?
=========

Back on the feedback. The new mechanic with loot as some type of ''special good'' simelar to
Mars ore is kinda intressting. Especialy because of the Egyptian units. It's refreshing to fight
without huge bonusses on the attacking army and deffending army. Please keep it this
way. As a player who loves fighting in this game it's a fun extra.
Also the units ballance is done well. My only concern is the use of coins on roads on previouse
settlements. For Egypt it's fine and an added challange. For Vikings and Japanes settlement it's
just down right terrible.

DeletedUser10193

Its not possible no fights, no vicotries, no currency(loots) to produce goods

Ancient Egypt is meant to be a counter part to this, making battles mandatory to complete the settlement. Especially since battles have been requested a lot since the very beginning of the Cultural Settlements feature.

Very disappointed. This will be a no go for me. I don't like the combat in this game and being forced to do it does not sit well with me at all.
Also; the coin cost for roads is a horrible idea. I'm glad I'm already done with vikings and japan because I will never do them again with that horrible change.

DeletedUser5097

What I can say is that Egypt will be for military oriented players. This relates to the gameplay of the settlement, as well as the rewards coming from it.
In that sense, it might not be to everyone's taste, but we hope that those who like this aspect of the game will be even more in love with the Egyptian settlement. :)
Your prediction is already coming true after just +/- 2 days Beta release

DeletedUser10017

So a day and a half in I’m so far enjoying Egypt....I like the complexity added with military and while I don’t like coins for roads on existing settlements I think it works here to give more of a balancing act...I like that taking time to plan my fights to preserve my units is rewarded by needing less coin production. I felt so good the second day when I lost no units on easy and medium fights unlike the first day.

So far I only have one recommendation and that is to have some expansions with no obstacles and some with double to give that since of easier or harder layouts and to make he pickaxes more meaningful with one and every zone it feels less impactful than I expected it would.

I look forward to progressing and providing more observations

The Lady Ann

Baronet
Very disappointed. This will be a no go for me. I don't like the combat in this game and being forced to do it does not sit well with me at all.
Also; the coin cost for roads is a horrible idea. I'm glad I'm already done with vikings and japan because I will never do them again with that horrible change.

well I hate the negotiation in Japan..................................but I deal with it, I don't whine on because it doesn't suit my style of play, so I say to you and others of your ilk deal with it, as I have in your preferred style of play