• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Halloween 2017

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser7951

If I choose to not complete a Questline I want that to be my choice, regardless of how I am choosing to strategize and play.
Up to a point yes, but not every time. Then it would become rather boring, and unchallenging for other strategies. An event and it's questline has to be challenging to the majority of players. That has to come first, players with special strategies like staying "forever" in an era, or not having supply buildings etc have to accept the fact not every event will be manageable for them. The event is an option for the game, it's not a do or die. Choices/action & Consequences.

So far I think the event has been okay, looking forward to play it on live even.

DeletedUser8308

if you want the FP swap threads to be visible on mobile you will need to dbl enter. I just tried typing Zeus in the 5 FP thread and then click the attachment and it sent the post with the attachment ahead and did not pick up what i typed, I needed to submit that separately.

DeletedUser8362

I have been at the end of OF (or the era in which I was at the time about 1½ year back) here, on my main and on 2 other worlds I play more or less regularly. Whenever a player who is at the end of the final era available gets these quests in a questline, they are automatically solved.

You are a player who has finished your tech tree, has probably been piling in fp's into your GB's since then... why should you have the added advantage of auto-completed quest-lines ??... I don't see you pointing out that that creates an unfair playing field as a younger, less developed city could be forced into a later age (to complete a challenge you don't have to) which then places them at a huge disadvantage for quite some time... why should they be denied the unique (and fun) objects that come from the unique historical questlines/events if they delay that leap??... Daily challenges is being released soon, they appear to be full of research, scout, province quests (when I last checked), these will also be limited in scope for players that delay and strategise moving up in eras, so why also include the special events ??

If you limit game choice, you reduce the game's appeal... not everyone fancies rushing into a hood full of players who have cities that have been developed from playing years longer.

Imagine, instead of those auto-completing quests you get as a reward for being so advanced, instead you were asked to delete an attack GB for example... then you'd feel the disadvantage younger players have at being forced up in era before they are ready.

Me, like many other players I know won't be completing this quest-line in it's current form... you said you don't care, but if INNO reverse tact and go back to quests without alternatives... many players will lose interest and quit, and the game will become poorer as a consequence

DeletedUser8471

You are a player who has finished your tech tree, has probably been piling in fp's into your GB's since then... why should you have the added advantage of auto-completed quest-lines ??... I don't see you pointing out that that creates an unfair playing field as a younger, less developed city could be forced into a later age (to complete a challenge you don't have to) which then places them at a huge disadvantage for quite some time... why should they be denied the unique (and fun) objects that come from the unique historical questlines/events if they delay that leap??... Daily challenges is being released soon, they appear to be full of research, scout, province quests (when I last checked), these will also be limited in scope for players that delay and strategise moving up in eras, so why also include the special events ??

If you limit game choice, you reduce the game's appeal... not everyone fancies rushing into a hood full of players who have cities that have been developed from playing years longer.

Imagine, instead of those auto-completing quests you get as a reward for being so advanced, instead you were asked to delete an attack GB for example... then you'd feel the disadvantage younger players have at being forced up in era before they are ready.

Me, like many other players I know won't be completing this quest-line in it's current form... you said you don't care, but if INNO reverse tact and go back to quests without alternatives... many players will lose interest and quit, and the game will become poorer as a consequence

This. All of this.

The Daily Challenges are being released sometime in the near future, and should act as such as the name states, to challenge players on a daily basis to achieve a goal. This is something that will stick around for eternity (unless the Devs pull it back for some reason), whereas Events are available for a limited time.

Events should all have an alternate way to complete each and every quest to allow all players to achieve to goal of finishing, without hindering their own style of gameplay.

Daily Challenges should act as the opposite, challenging a player to make the decision of "do I skip this today, or do I go for it and force an advancement because I really want the prize offered"

Alternates should be made available on all Event and Historical Questlines to allow everyone the opportunity to grab limited time offer buildings, and not be forced into an age or era they may not be ready for. They should not be offered on the Daily Challenges because that would go against the idea of making it a challenge, and having tasks that would force a player to advance would in fact not need to be done to reach the goal in a set time frame since the Challenges will be there every single day, when events will only last 1-3 weeks.

DeletedUser5160

@Zarok Dai Has there been any word from the devs about alternates for the Halloween event quests? I feel like Inno already forgot their statement they made several months back about making it more friendly for players to keep their play style.

In my case, I don't want to age into the oceanic future. I'm banking promethium so I'm set when I enter OF....

DeletedUser8277

I really hope the great folks on the wikia have make a mistake. I haven't seen them be wrong yet but I have my fingers crossed for this one.

Scouting, tech research and conquering provinces with no alternative? Adding in the alt was one of the best things this game has done for people, why take it away? The alternate was getting absurdly expensive but at least it was there. Why the backtrack?

If the game wants to encourage people towards era advancement they need to make the way it's handled better (IE being able to unlock techs before being in the era so you don't have to sprint to goods/military you unlock the tech but can't use it until you unlock the era separately) and also make the later eras compelling and rewarding enough that it feels like it's worth it to get there. There's nothing better about future ages in fact they are worse and most I speak to regret that they've gone past future. The game gets harder as you progress with no real pay off for having done so. Is there some data out there that only those rushing through the tech tree spend the money?

I linger, I buy diamonds but why pay for a game pushing me away from the parts of it I find enjoyable into those I do not?

Quite disappointed. This was such a very interesting questline and I've already spent diamonds trying to make sure I can finish the 45 in 14 days only to find the game has made it so I and anyone else not able to advance won't finish.

DeletedUser

I know one player from cz server playing that style, it is a most hardcore mode that can be in FoE played. Its not a stupidity, its a challange. ;)
oOBs.png
that is all ?
highest GB are from iron age.

I know that goes much better: a hardcore german bronze age player
(don't ask me how he did get the goods: I don't know)
that guy is hardcore. not someone who only don't advance and has 2 GB one age above his age

and I didn't call i stupidity. I asked for a reason why

Attachments

• city.jpg
    city.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8341

Yes
Yes
I like it and I will build it. It looks awesomely.
Someone finished all quest in two days. And you can't complete all in 14 days? Why? Quests are easy.
I find it hard to believe that it is possible to legitimately complete in two days of standard play unless treated as some kind of endurance test.

The production requirements alone total 19 hours 45 minutes and at that, they would need 25 production buildings (way more that is sensible, given that 14% of GBs give supplies). Added to that is recruitment time, fighting time, polivating time, scouting time (add another day and more for anyone with a town large enougn to support 25 production buildings).

Yes, spending cash (Diamonds) can be a way around some of this but if Inno are trying to turn the game into a "free but pay if you want to stand a chance of playing fully" game, they might as well start planning right now to down-size their servers because the history of others who attempted this shows that players will leave in droves.

DeletedUser8341

Because they choose to? It baffles me as well for BA don't get me wrong, but all players should have the opportunity to complete questlines that Inno throws at us, regardless of their choice of gameplay.
I think the game has gone beyond the point where sitting in BA makes any sense. Yes, it can be done but the game is clearly set up to move into Iron Age.

Would you demand that BA players are able to contribute to GBs, or take part in Daily Challenges, just because they want to?

Bronze Age is clearly (now) an age to work through, allowing newbies time to learn mechanics of the game before starting to get serious.

DeletedUser8341

NOT advancing an age is a sensible strategy in Forge of Empires. I would guess that many players spend as long sitting at the top end of an age as they spend going through researching that age. The demands on goods, the time/FP to build Great Buildings, the considerations on GE for the guild, the time to store up enough upgrade kits .. all this and much more mean that the decision to advance an age is an important part of strategy in the game.

Being forced to move forward an age, well ahead of when prepared, is counter-strategic. Is Forge of Empires to become a "counter-strategy game," where players just blindly tap/click around on the screen to "win" things they never strived for and idiotically blunder through the game regardless of what might be the most sensible thing to do?

If, as some say, a result of that strategy is rightly that players cannot fulfill an event then that should be made very clear at the beginning of the event:

"WARNING: to complete this event you will have to research a technology and therefore might have to advance an age. If you do not want to do this, you may chose not to take part in this event."

(That is what I will be saying to my guildmates on live, unless the quests are changed.)

Inno could extract the actual data but I am fairly sure that players spend at least half the time NOT moving up an age, as a strategic decision. Are events only for half of players now?

LadyHecate

Marquis
"WARNING: to complete this event you will have to research a technology and therefore might have to advance an age. If you do not want to do this, you may chose not to take part in this event."
I reiterate this and will be doing likewise for my guild on Live! We are an active GvG guild and I actively support members of the guild remaining in certain Ages/Eras in order to better support our GvG efforts for that particular period.

Lionhead

Baronet

Can you tell me why players who has been loyal to the game, thus played long enough to be at the end of tech / continentmap shouldn´t have an advantage? I too once were at a stage in the game, where auto-completion wasn´t a posibility.

In regards of DC, I have yet to see a quest demanding one to research a tech, scout a province, even conquering one. That´s exactly why those aspects of the game SHOULD be a part of these lenghtier events. Besides, I just checked the questlines for the last two on live (1 Historical questline and Fall event). They both had alternatives on ALL quests involving research, scouting and conquering.

Someone mentioned here that ALL players should be able to finish these questlines and thereby getting the end reward, and in that process not forcing players to enter an era for which "they´re not ready". Why?
Let´s imagine a scenario where this should be possible. Each quest in a questline should contain of "Collect 100 Coins", "Collect 100 Supplies", "Gather 10 Goods", "Finish 2 5-mins Productions", "Aid 3 players" and so on.
Talking about reducing the game´s appeal?

Here´s what you can find by a simple google-search:
"Build a Stone Age Settlement in the online strategy game Forge of Empires, fight through history and develop a magnificent empire. Start playing now!".
Does this seem to you that IG want´s players to stay in an era beyond reasonable time? No matter when these questline are released, there will always be players who think it´s the wrong time to advance. And should those situations be eliminated, we´re back to quests mentioned above.

Alternatives are relatively new to questlines. Why should removing them suddenly making players quit in large numbers, when that hasn´t been the case prior to adding alternatives?
I have said it before, and I´d like to repeat it. I don´t mind alternatives. But limit them to the shorter Historical questlines. But keep the no-alternative policy in the lenghtier events. As mentioned even the 3 week Fall event had alternatives, but this 2 week Halloween event might not have alternatives. Fine. The Black Tower might just be that good, that it should not just be handed out.

DeletedUser8362

Can you tell me why players who has been loyal to the game, thus played long enough to be at the end of tech / continentmap shouldn´t have an advantage? I too once were at a stage in the game, where auto-completion wasn´t a posibility.

In regards of DC, I have yet to see a quest demanding one to research a tech, scout a province, even conquering one. That´s exactly why those aspects of the game SHOULD be a part of these lenghtier events. Besides, I just checked the questlines for the last two on live (1 Historical questline and Fall event). They both had alternatives on ALL quests involving research, scouting and conquering.

Someone mentioned here that ALL players should be able to finish these questlines and thereby getting the end reward, and in that process not forcing players to enter an era for which "they´re not ready". Why?
Let´s imagine a scenario where this should be possible. Each quest in a questline should contain of "Collect 100 Coins", "Collect 100 Supplies", "Gather 10 Goods", "Finish 2 5-mins Productions", "Aid 3 players" and so on.
Talking about reducing the game´s appeal?

Here´s what you can find by a simple google-search:
"Build a Stone Age Settlement in the online strategy game Forge of Empires, fight through history and develop a magnificent empire. Start playing now!".
Does this seem to you that IG want´s players to stay in an era beyond reasonable time? No matter when these questline are released, there will always be players who think it´s the wrong time to advance. And should those situations be eliminated, we´re back to quests mentioned above.

Alternatives are relatively new to questlines. Why should removing them suddenly making players quit in large numbers, when that hasn´t been the case prior to adding alternatives?
I have said it before, and I´d like to repeat it. I don´t mind alternatives. But limit them to the shorter Historical questlines. But keep the no-alternative policy in the lenghtier events. As mentioned even the 3 week Fall event had alternatives, but this 2 week Halloween event might not have alternatives. Fine. The Black Tower might just be that good, that it should not just be handed out.

They could make the alternatives as costly as they liked... pay 2,000 goods... more if they wanted... win 100 battles without defeat... etc, etc... INNO are limited only by their imagination. There is a very good reason that a large (and getting larger) number of players advance very slowly through the eras... Forcing players to advance or they can't take part in the major special events will not encourage them to change their game style, just offer them less fun and enjoyment. Players haven't advanced because they find the game is more enjoyable where they are and playing the next era doesn't look as much fun. You don't appear to appreciate that because you don't play that way, but I'm equally puzzled how much fun you get playing an end of tech tree game.

Your reply was very much in the 'I'm alright Jack' theme... and very short-sighted.

in fact... I'd go so far as to say that as an end of tech tree player (probably with a lvl80 Arc) you actually want me to pause my development and spend my resources getting my own Arc, for instance, and investing my resources into it so you can profit from it, you need players like me to keep the game vibrant... piling my Arc goods into earlier eras to give the guild more GvG options... completing my 64/64 GE... for what possible reason would you want to encourage the death of this type of player ?... is GB levelling only the preserve of end of tech tree players now?... yet another advantage that should be the privilige of 'loyal, long term players only'.... that sounds like a death knell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silveralius

Squire
I find it hard to believe that it is possible to legitimately complete in two days of standard play unless treated as some kind of endurance test.

The production requirements alone total 19 hours 45 minutes and at that, they would need 25 production buildings (way more that is sensible, given that 14% of GBs give supplies). Added to that is recruitment time, fighting time, polivating time, scouting time (add another day and more for anyone with a town large enougn to support 25 production buildings).

Yes, spending cash (Diamonds) can be a way around some of this but if Inno are trying to turn the game into a "free but pay if you want to stand a chance of playing fully" game, they might as well start planning right now to down-size their servers because the history of others who attempted this shows that players will leave in droves.

In beta are players that si specialized for events. With more that 25 produciton buildings.
And you sum all that time into one number. But like that is game not work. All is paralel. Why I should wait until a quest to recruting units appears? Why I should wait until a quest to solve guild expedition appears? Why I should wait until a quest to complete production appears? And there are more and more situation.
Nothing in game is static. You know when event start. So you can prepare. Yes on beta you don't know when start. But at start you can start preparations.
And also we have great bulildings like Alcatraz. Instant recruitments...
So is posible to solve in two days.

For normal players:

Quest 9 - can take some time because is on start
Quest 12 - without preparation can take 5 h if you have 5 blacksmith
Quest 20 - can buy next for medals (or wait)
Quest 24 - if you go paralel you have this solved instantly or take on day
Quest 27 - that is maybe take some time but if you prepared it is instantly
Quest 35 - take a lot time in high era without use Dia
Quest 39 - you have new scouted provincie from 35 - so short way to complete
Quest 41 - Can take some short time.
Quest 43 - 45 min for shortest way
Quest 44 - can take some time

So we have 10 quest that take more time. And we have 15 days to solve.
For players in low era is hard to have forge points. For players in high era is hard to scout provincie or it they decide to research something.
But is not to imposible complete all in time limit.

And for hardcore players with preparation is posible to complete in two days.

Last edited:

DeletedUser7419

Hi :)

Just adding my support against requests that blocks players from achieving events.
I wonder why InnoGame has so much difficulties to relay down their choices.
I don't care that you think Bronze players shouldn't get special building or their upgrades, but I would appreciate to know it before starting the event, hardly conquering few sectors, hardly negotiating some, and discover that a treasury gift is required or researching a techno, so I just wasted "extra-rare" goods for nothing (how many time and bronze goods to get LMA goods? With a Bronze/Iron neighborhood and a really small guild with only 2 active players? ^^).

Because we don't do events for the random rewards, but for the intermediaries and final gift, it would be nice to be aware before starting it if we can finish it or not. It's not a big deal, but because you stated that you'll provide alternative quests, it's a bit boring to discover on the few lasts events that you already forgot that, or didn't say the whole thing.

That would be nice if you were communicating more on that kind of choices, not necessarily explain them, but at least state them.

-> Hey guys, from now on we won't provide alternative quest every time for treasury gifts and techno.

...would be enough ^^

Have a nice day :)

Lionhead

Baronet
They could make the alternatives as costly as they liked... pay 2,000 goods... more if they wanted... win 100 battles without defeat... etc, etc... INNO are limited only by their imagination. There is a very good reason that a large (and getting larger) number of players advance very slowly through the eras... Forcing players to advance or they can't take part in the major special events will not encourage them to change their game style, just offer them less fun and enjoyment. Players haven't advanced because they find the game is more enjoyable where they are and playing the next era doesn't look as much fun. You don't appear to appreciate that because you don't play that way, but I'm equally puzzled how much fun you get playing an end of tech tree game.

Your reply was very much in the 'I'm alright Jack' theme... and very short-sighted.

in fact... I'd go so far as to say that as an end of tech tree player (probably with a lvl80 Arc) you actually want me to pause my development and spend my resources getting my own Arc, for instance, and investing my resources into it so you can profit from it, you need players like me to keep the game vibrant... piling my Arc goods into earlier eras to give the guild more GvG options... completing my 64/64 GE... for what possible reason would you want to encourage the death of this type of player ?... is GB levelling only the preserve of end of tech tree players now?... yet another advantage that should be the privilige of 'loyal, long term players only'.... that sounds like a death knell.

It´s obvious you´re offering me a response based on feelings. No stats available for you to back up your claims. I don´t have any stats either, but I can observe. At least 95%, if not all, of my neighbors and OF2-players on my main rushed through OF3 very shortly after release. Yeah, but that´s OF-/endgame-players, you say?
Well, had a guildmate breezing through TE in 2 weeks. He entered FE yesterday. I have other guildmates who gets through eras on a regular basis. Are they so different from the norm of FoE´s regular player base? I would be very surprised if they were.
Yu say players haven´t advanced because the game is more enjoyable where they are?
I say players advance because they can be more helpful on a wider range in GvG, they´ll find more enjoyment in the challenge what a different GE will offer. And that´s not based on feeling, that´s is actual observations from the guild on my main. It´s about 3 weeks ago I had a low-era player getting his CdM - the final of the offensive GB´s - write: "Now I just have to get to the eras where I can be helpful in GvG".

My arc on my main is currently lvl 30. Why?
Because I have actually spent some of my fp´s on low-era guildmembers attacking GB´s, so they could use their fp´s for research, thereby being able to help the guild offensively in GvG. Having a united guild fight in GvG makes the game much more vibrant to me, than levelling GB´s and have my low era guildmates being deadweight zombies, who can offer nothing but posts in fp-chain mail-threads.
Do I like lower era Arc´s producing goods for our continued efforts in GvG? Sure. But as a suppliment. We actually use the art of coordination and communication to produce the goods needed via regular goods-buildings. That process also makes the game much more vibrant and interesting to me.
So all in all, your assessment of me couldn´t be more wrong. But I understand it´s also based on feelings and not reality.
But that´s all besides the point.

IG wants their players to show some form of steady progress. If players don´t want to, they can all on their own decide not to. It´s their choice. If advancement during a questline is a dealbreaker, the alternative is missing out on an end reward, I´d applaud that.

I just to want IG to know that not having alternatives in questlines is what all players want. I´ve seen some players actually write, that´s it´s ubelievable that they haven´t learned anything from past feedback regarding alternatives. Well, maybe they learned, that it´s a big minority who has demanded alternatives. How many of the 42,994 ranked players here on Beta have demanded it in these various threads? Certainly not the majority. Is their silence the same as they wouldn´t like alternatives? Maybe not, but it certainly can´t be dealbreakers causing them to leave the game.

DeletedUser8362

It´s obvious you´re offering me a response based on feelings. No stats available for you to back up your claims. I don´t have any stats either, but I can observe. At least 95%, if not all, of my neighbors and OF2-players on my main rushed through OF3 very shortly after release. Yeah, but that´s OF-/endgame-players, you say?
Well, had a guildmate breezing through TE in 2 weeks. He entered FE yesterday. I have other guildmates who gets through eras on a regular basis. Are they so different from the norm of FoE´s regular player base? I would be very surprised if they were.
Yu say players haven´t advanced because the game is more enjoyable where they are?
I say players advance because they can be more helpful on a wider range in GvG, they´ll find more enjoyment in the challenge what a different GE will offer. And that´s not based on feeling, that´s is actual observations from the guild on my main. It´s about 3 weeks ago I had a low-era player getting his CdM - the final of the offensive GB´s - write: "Now I just have to get to the eras where I can be helpful in GvG".

My arc on my main is currently lvl 30. Why?
Because I have actually spent some of my fp´s on low-era guildmembers attacking GB´s, so they could use their fp´s for research, thereby being able to help the guild offensively in GvG. Having a united guild fight in GvG makes the game much more vibrant to me, than levelling GB´s and have my low era guildmates being deadweight zombies, who can offer nothing but posts in fp-chain mail-threads.
Do I like lower era Arc´s producing goods for our continued efforts in GvG? Sure. But as a suppliment. We actually use the art of coordination and communication to produce the goods needed via regular goods-buildings. That process also makes the game much more vibrant and interesting to me.
So all in all, your assessment of me couldn´t be more wrong. But I understand it´s also based on feelings and not reality.
But that´s all besides the point.

IG wants their players to show some form of steady progress. If players don´t want to, they can all on their own decide not to. It´s their choice. If advancement during a questline is a dealbreaker, the alternative is missing out on an end reward, I´d applaud that.

I just to want IG to know that not having alternatives in questlines is what all players want. I´ve seen some players actually write, that´s it´s ubelievable that they haven´t learned anything from past feedback regarding alternatives. Well, maybe they learned, that it´s a big minority who has demanded alternatives. How many of the 42,994 ranked players here on Beta have demanded it in these various threads? Certainly not the majority. Is their silence the same as they wouldn´t like alternatives? Maybe not, but it certainly can´t be dealbreakers causing them to leave the game.

That's all very altruistic of you... and I clearly misjudged your playing style... and for that I apologise... I might suggest you would be a lot more help to your collegues if you upgrade that Arc of yours...

I can assure you that my points were not based on 'feelings', but also on observation.

If your point was that because the '42,994 ranked players' on beta are not complaining about alternatives (or choice) that backs up your point... I would say the reverse, I'd say the majority of those '42,994' aren't playing any more, but only exist as they advanced past EMA before quitting or didn't spend their free diamonds.

Look, you've made your point, I've made mine. You think the game is better for not offering alternatives, I think the reverse. Personally, I hope Inno don't revert back to your choice as it offers a player nothing in the way of gameplay choice and entertainment... which is why I play the game. I'm certainly not advancing for the sake of GvG when the majority of players don't play it, it isn't even an option available on the mobile. If Inno wanted us to advance for that reason, I think they would have put a bit more effort into GvG... you like the idea that GvG era maps should all be fought over by more advanced cities... I like the idea that powerful early era cities equalise the fight by beating brawn with goods production power and equally powerful attack GBs.... and the guild I'm in (which is a top one) is full of players wishing they hadn't advanced eras to make GE harder.

Diversification is the key to guild success nowadays...

DeletedUser

@Zarok Dai Has there been any word from the devs about alternates for the Halloween event quests? I feel like Inno already forgot their statement they made several months back about making it more friendly for players to keep their play style.

In my case, I don't want to age into the oceanic future. I'm banking promethium so I'm set when I enter OF....

I don't think we will be seeing alternatives for the quests in this years event. We stated originally that over time we would be offering more alternatives for some quests, but that doesn't mean that all quests will have alternatives.
I will discuss it more with the higher ups, but I suspect there will always be quests, and parts of historical quest lines and events that will require some type of map or tech actions. After all, they are a big part of the game, and to discount those actions in events I don't think is reasonable to expect.
As always this comes down to a players choice, measuring the rewards in an event against their own play styles and goals.