• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Guild Battlegrounds Watchtower and Siege Camp Ability Re-balance

mcbluefire

Baronet
Entertainment is not a need?

I'm sure that there are options for entertainment outside of this game.

Like it when someone answers their own question/concern.

Try as I might, I cannot find any philosophy or psychology where entertainment is listed as a need. I was leaning towards physiological needs, however I can see the argument for mental/emotional needs, yet still don't see any instance where one groups mental/emotional needs outweighs another. Entertianment can provide shallow "sense of connection", "achievement", "acceptance", or "purpose" which are psychological needs. This might be better known as the right to pursue happiness which should not be denied;however to indicate that a group playing a game is somehow denying another group's right to happiness while playing the same game is far-fetched at best. To enjoy the game one must compete. Those unwilling to compete (or wanting to compete only on their own terms) are NOT playing the game and are thus denying themselves the opportunity to reach their own goals, not the other players.

Take, as an example, a more direct PVP game where players want to get to a reward that is available in a hot combat situation only. Should the opposing PVP players stop playing and let the player seeking the reward walk in unhindered to pickup it up, should the player have to fight in co-ordination with their own team against the opponents and work out a strategy to enable them to obtain the reward, or give up and forget about the reward? One does not fix this issue by nerfing the shields of all the PVP players, but apparently that's what Inno thought might be a good idea.
But, I suppose the players that worked up their level and fighting tactics should be demonized as ruthless "point stealers" "preventing" those who want something instantly without undertaking the endeavors others figured out and executed.

Over the past two years the guild I am a founder in has gone through extremes and I solidly plant most of those issues on GbG in it's current state. We were one of the first guilds in Diamond. We won a full on war with no alliances and 2 adversaries focusing on us in the first season of GbG. It was very fun. The next season we worked with those two guilds to form an alliance to ensure we not only stayed together, but would be at the top of the pack for seasons to come. Not until our 7th season did we find ourselves separated by the influx of new diamond guilds and under full attack from our 4th ally that we had included into the circle; found ourselves locked down for the first time ever. As time went on the top guilds found themselves shrinking as players quit the game. Then a new wave started of players understanding how to grow fast using GbG as well as their Arc. Some of us viewed them as abusing the guild treasury (helps to announce free sectors instead of hoping others don't notice) and we watched one GbG lead leave to go and jump guilds until they finally found a group they could grow fast in. Meanwhile our guild attempted to get more and more players involved in GbG and burned out GbG lead after GbG lead with the responsibilities needed to keep the guild engaged, the map watched, and the sectors flipping. Then the new recruits started to be much less than the veteran guild mates leaving for another guild or done with the game. Eventually we found ourselves down from 80 with a wait-list to 40ish players, always 10 or so who knocked out GE but found GbG worth ignoring. We merged with a guild that didn't quite pan out due to leaders getting burned out and differing play philosophies for many of the players. Then we merged with another guild and got up over 70 for a bit, but several of the players had other plans and went to another guild they had been considering for quite some time. So that leaves us as a diamond guild but not one with a bunch of players that can push through the nerf, so as happens occasionally now we will likely be permanently banned as a swap partner unless we merge with another guild that is like minded and ready to roll in the entertainment reduced environment. Yet again I see no positive benefit out of the nerf that would address any of the trails we've been through the last couple of years and figure it will likely be quite the opposite.

I find it interesting how little diplomacy has been discussed here as one of the features of GbG. I have found it as vital. With it you can negotiate yourself a spot in the swapping and then your guild just has to be able to keep up; we've never had a problem there. We've been on both sides of the tablefor permitted/denied though and I'd rather still see the ability to get free hits than banking my GbG participation on RNG.

Emberguard

Emperor
I find it interesting how little diplomacy has been discussed here as one of the features of GbG

Because diplomacy doesn't fix inherent flaws for this *type* of game, it only swings it into one of two extremes.

Either:
  • Masks the game flaws by artificially making it easier for the smaller Guilds to get on
- OR -
  • Amplifies the flaws by creating a super-opponent that's impossible to fight against. The top 2 Guilds on a map are always going to be unstoppable if they choose to work together against the 6 Guilds instead of the top 2 fighting against each other.

Either way, diplomacy doesn't fix the actual problems or inherent flaws within the game mechanics. It just swings the balance to a point where you're entirely at the mercy of how generous the other players decide they want to be. If they don't want to include you in their group of Guilds they're working with then that doesn't fix any of the inherent problems this particular style of game tends to bump into

Diplomacy can definitely lessen the effect of the mechanic flaws, but that means you're dependent on the other Guilds being generous towards you instead of the game mechanics being addressed

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
Will the beta test last much longer?
We all agree that the beta is not representative, so either Inno tests on all servers as soon as possible, or they have to modify parameters before the next season on Dunarsund.
But doing nothing, saying nothing, leaving players in the current situation is unacceptable to everyone, including Inno.

Owl II

Emperor
  • Amplifies the flaws by creating a super-opponent that's impossible to fight against. The top 2 Guilds on a map are always going to be unstoppable if they choose to work together against the 6 Guilds instead of the top 2 fighting against each other.
Wrong. Weak guilds will be always in the pen if they don't try to fight. It don't matter if the 2 strongest in the group are fighting or farming. But! Sometimes you can see how the weaker one comes on the 2nd place if they agrees with the strongest against the second in strength. If, of course, the first one is strong and smart enough for this. But who cares? They just prevent us from farming

jovada

Regent
Greed is a 3-15 man guild thinking they deserve to be in the highest levels of GBG. You never had a case for the nerf...
Greed is a 3-4 man from big guilds thinking they deserve to fight al day long without attrition.

And again all you say are just nonsens , i never saw 1 i repeat 1 small guild claiming they deserve to be in the diamond group.

King Flush

Marquis
Will the beta test last much longer?
We all agree that the beta is not representative, so either Inno tests on all servers as soon as possible, or they have to modify parameters before the next season on Dunarsund.
But doing nothing, saying nothing, leaving players in the current situation is unacceptable to everyone, including Inno.
or come to their senses and scrap the whole thing?

King Flush

Marquis
Greed is a 3-4 man from big guilds thinking they deserve to fight al day long without attrition.

And again all you say are just nonsens , i never saw 1 i repeat 1 small guild claiming they deserve to be in the diamond group.
no they (you) just say rather than Inno fixing that issue you just want the ones who try to be severely handicapped so you may be able to come out and farm with zero effort as if it's a god given right.

Yekk

Regent

That is nonsense and your guild is the other extreme is it not? You hurt your own players when you move to 1K. You take away fights in the nerf system for both your guild and the others around you. You moved to D-lite where you fit in much better now. Yet next league you will be move back up. This is the real problem.

King Flush

Marquis
also @jovada unless it's very different in other worlds I can tell you in my world virtually all the players with the big fight numbers are GBG leaders who get their numbers by facilitating fights for their guild and put more effort in than I think you can even comprehend, the amount of players who get huge fight numbers by just hitting low attrition sectors with only thought for themselves must be miniscule, not even convinced there are such players in the world I play.

it's completely self governed, you don't stay in a team if you're not a team player, simple as that. This in itself takes care of the greedy players.

CrashBoom

Legend
Wrong. Weak guilds will be always in the pen if they don't try to fight. It don't matter if the 2 strongest in the group are fighting or farming. But! Sometimes you can see how the weaker one comes on the 2nd place if they agrees with the strongest against the second in strength. If, of course, the first one is strong and smart enough for this. But who cares? They just prevent us from farming
or in other words
the 2nd in smartness beats the 2nd in strength :D

Emberguard

Emperor
Wrong. Weak guilds will be always in the pen if they don't try to fight. It don't matter if the 2 strongest in the group are fighting or farming.

Actually it matters a lot. There is a massive difference in the minimum strength required for any Guild to get on the map between when the top Guilds are fighting each other as enemies, and when the top Guilds are working together or have any sort of cease fire between them.

This was quite evident back when the feature was released. Back then there was no diplomacy between any of the Guilds and the weak Guilds could all get on the map and stand by their own strength.

The moment the top Guilds stopped hitting their toughest opponent, that's when we saw the balance swing to an extreme where the weaker Guilds could never enter the map without the permission of the top Guilds.

Then it started swinging to the other extreme when Guilds worked out the details on farming and decided to let more Guilds in on the farming. But it still doesn't address any of the game style flaws and makes it entirely dependent on whether those organizing the swaps want to include your Guild in those swaps. If the top Guilds ever decide they don't want to include weaker Guilds for any reason, then it'll just swing back to the extreme we had before because the issues are still there, and the top Guilds growth can very easily suppress the growth of all the other Guilds if they decide to do so

Kev-

Farmer
Actually it matters a lot. There is a massive difference in the minimum strength required for any Guild to get on the map between when the top Guilds are fighting each other as enemies, and when the top Guilds are working together or have any sort of cease fire between them.

This was quite evident back when the feature was released. Back then there was no diplomacy between any of the Guilds and the weak Guilds could all get on the map and stand by their own strength.

The moment the top Guilds stopped hitting their toughest opponent, that's when we saw the balance swing to an extreme where the weaker Guilds could never enter the map without the permission of the top Guilds.

Then it started swinging to the other extreme when Guilds worked out the details on farming and decided to let more Guilds in on the farming. But it still doesn't address any of the game style flaws and makes it entirely dependent on whether those organizing the swaps want to include your Guild in those swaps. If the top Guilds ever decide they don't want to include weaker Guilds for any reason, then it'll just swing back to the extreme we had before because the issues are still there, and the top Guilds growth can very easily suppress the growth of all the other Guilds if they decide to do so
Which gets us to the crux of the issue sort the match up out put a bunch of equally matched Guilds together and you get a fight fest because numbers 3,4, 5, 6 ain't going to sit out and watch 1 and 2 swap all round without getting in there. How many times does it need to be said sort the match up process out and other issues are nullified.

Emberguard

Emperor
Which gets us to the crux of the issue sort the match up out put a bunch of equally matched Guilds together and you get a fight fest because numbers 3,4, 5, 6 ain't going to sit out and watch 1 and 2 swap all round without getting in there. How many times does it need to be said sort the match up process out and other issues are nullified.
Thing is, I don't think the worlds have enough equal strength Guilds within any one world to actually sort out the matching at the top. Anything below the top you'd have a bigger pool to work with, but for the top you'd likely need to do two things:
1) reduce the amount of Guilds per map
2) take the absolute top Guilds from each world, and put them together in a cross-world league.

King Flush

Marquis

Any guild that chooses to get 10 of their fighters together to hit a sector when it opens will have a very good shot, pretty much a dead cert actually, will mean the 'top' guilds after losing a number of sectors will probably then come back in greater numbers next time to try to prevent this ie 'BATTLING' now imagine if all the other guilds were doing this at the same time, I guarantee there will not be simple 2 guild swapping sessions the fact is it's rare that the 'weaker' guilds do this, who's fault is this? is it Inno's fault - NO / is it the way that GBG works - NO / It's because most of the weaker guilds can't be arsed to try!

I just took a quick and dirty look at the battle stats for some players in the top Guild on Beta. I compared average daily battles from 1-Nov-21 to 2-Jul-22 with the average for 3-Jul-22 to 1-Aug-22. The top fighters have experienced a reduction of approximately 50% (which is to be expected). What is interesting is that many of the middle of the pack fighters are getting more fights in. In a few instances 2X as many.