• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Soccer Event 2022

JudeTG

Farmer
Just feedback... and a little frustration.....I have to say that I honestly don't understand the tournament. Last year you could rearrange players to get a better outcome. This year I have no idea what to do with the player cards. In the past, you could balance against the players on the other side by the colors. This year it seems just like against like. I have tried a bunch of things, but nothing much works. I never win against the higher level opponents, and always win against the middle-level opponents. So what is the point? Just play your tickets to stay under three so you are always earning a ticket.... but other than that, there seems to be no strategy... and no daily prizes either. Guess this one is not for me.

Harold Nat

Squire
Baking Sudoku Master
Just feedback... and a little frustration.....I have to say that I honestly don't understand the tournament. Last year you could rearrange players to get a better outcome. This year I have no idea what to do with the player cards. In the past, you could balance against the players on the other side by the colors. This year it seems just like against like. I have tried a bunch of things, but nothing much works. I never win against the higher level opponents, and always win against the middle-level opponents. So what is the point? Just play your tickets to stay under three so you are always earning a ticket.... but other than that, there seems to be no strategy... and no daily prizes either. Guess this one is not for me.
That is exactly my thought, I think this mechanic is pointless.
But other players didn't like the "chance/random" factor last year (you can check the previous comments). I think we should be given the chance to arrange players more freely and maybe obtain some kind of 'combos' (for example, arranging players in a certain manner, or randomly getting powerful player cards), but this year it's unlikely that major changes will occur.

Amdira

Baronet
To be honest after 2 or 3 years soccer events I still have no idea how to handle those player cards and I'm not even interested to learn it. Pls consider there are players who are not interested in soccer or football - just in opposite - those who are fleeing into FoE or other distractions to avoid hearing and seeing soccer games all day long during champions league or whatever event for those sports. Thus I'm pretty happy to be able to do some matches without caring bout how to match players against or learning soccer rules. Not every event is for everyone and it won't be possible to find one which pleases everyone. Just looking forward to the Wildlife event :)

Just4FoEbeta

Merchant
That is exactly my thought, I think this mechanic is pointless.
But other players didn't like the "chance/random" factor last year (you can check the previous comments). I think we should be given the chance to arrange players more freely and maybe obtain some kind of 'combos' (for example, arranging players in a certain manner, or randomly getting powerful player cards), but this year it's unlikely that major changes will occur.
if these "players" do not like the "chance/random" factor, one would wonder why they play FOE at all! especially as the previous mechanics provided at least some minute amount of strategy, an aspect which has totally disappeared from the new version.

Thunderdome

Emperor
if these "players" do not like the "chance/random" factor, one would wonder why they play FOE at all! especially as the previous mechanics provided at least some minute amount of strategy, an aspect which has totally disappeared from the new version.
Excuse me, but what?

If I wanted to play a game of chance and blatantly waste my time (money or virtual pixels) away, I would try out those slot video games that supposedly promise big pay outs to the fools who are dumb enough to be hooked. This is why I prefer some events over others.

The previous mechanic was s***. If it was working correctly (here I go repeating myself to the misunderstood), I would not have a problem. I wasn't going to sit here with a good team to be losing when the "chance" factor was at 85% of winning. An average person would have seen that as a higher and good chance of that happening, but it didn't.

The new mechanic made me a smart player as I don't "gamble" precious tickets into such foolery the old mechanic presented. I had done a few hard matches only because it said I had a high chance of winning (displaying the "win") and this happened after I gotten new cards to upgrade my players as the match list does not refresh (or update) for a certain time.

And while I sit a slither away from silver, I am content as I didn't spend any diamonds to get there. Now, BRING ON THE LAST QUEST!!!

Harold Nat

Squire
Baking Sudoku Master
Excuse me, but what?

If I wanted to play a game of chance and blatantly waste my time (money or virtual pixels) away, I would try out those slot video games that supposedly promise big pay outs to the fools who are dumb enough to be hooked. This is why I prefer some events over others.

The previous mechanic was s***. If it was working correctly (here I go repeating myself to the misunderstood), I would not have a problem. I wasn't going to sit here with a good team to be losing when the "chance" factor was at 85% of winning. An average person would have seen that as a higher and good chance of that happening, but it didn't.

The new mechanic made me a smart player as I don't "gamble" precious tickets into such foolery the old mechanic presented. I had done a few hard matches only because it said I had a high chance of winning (displaying the "win") and this happened after I gotten new cards to upgrade my players as the match list does not refresh (or update) for a certain time.

And while I sit a slither away from silver, I am content as I didn't spend any diamonds to get there. Now, BRING ON THE LAST QUEST!!!

Everything is chance in this game. There are events that are heavily based on chance, like the Summer event (just spin the wheel!), and others that require more skills (like the Wildlife event - this is the other end of the spectrum), nonetheless the latter still has a chance factor (the color and position of the blocks you get).
Last year you had a 85% chance of winning, and you got angry when you ended up defeated. But did you count how many times you won? Try to think in the opposite way: in all events you have a little chance of winning prizes (let's say it's around 15%), so it means that most of the time you shouldn't get them, and still you DO get the rewards, right? But here nobody complains, because this is beneficial for the player.
So I think there is a misunderstanding about what chance really means and how it should be interpreted: with last year's mechanics, if we tried hundreds, thousands of times, I'm sure that the 85/15 ratio would be respected, and you would win most of the times. I think this is like the real world: if you have 2 teams competing against each other, there is a higher chance of a team winning, but still it will never be 100% :)

Thunderdome

Emperor
More like disappointed. At 85% winning, it should have a better chance of it occurring; at 15% losing (as you would have put it), it shouldn't occur as that a low chance compared to the 85%, or are we doing Common Core Math now? Now, if it said 35% chance of winning (whereas it would be 65% of losing), I would steer clear from such as to me translates to a possible wasted ticket that could be spent on a better outcome.
Try to think in the opposite way: in all events you have a little chance of winning prizes (let's say it's around 15%), so it means that most of the time you shouldn't get them, and still you DO get the rewards, right? But here nobody complains, because this is beneficial for the player.
Try not to equate winning/losing with the chance of obtaining a prize. I never expect a so-called "rare" prize when I do claim; just only the mediocre ones. When I do win a "rare" prize that is of use to me, I would be "meh" as I keep that in inventory to be used when I need it. When I win a mediocre prize, I just go double "meh" as I either use it now or just leave it in inventory. Anyways, winning and losing are different animals; you either win (by higher chance of winning) or lose (by lower chance of winning); there is no other way. And, that's where that mechanic messed up, resulting in wasted tickets and no rewards/points gained.

The summer event just depends on who is active in your neighborhood and when can you capitalize (with some strategy) on getting the better prizes than them. In poker, there are 52 cards (not counting jokers), and if you know which cards were in play before the deck got shuffled, you will know when to either go further or just hold back until a new deck is shuffled; the same can be said for the wheel. Those who spun and landed on said prizes, those prizes are taken out of play, and the wheel gets "tightened" among the available prizes remaining. I have been in instances where everyone in my hood were spinning and taking out the "booby" prizes, and I just spun to win the best prize before reshuffling the wheel.

Just4FoEbeta

Merchant
Excuse me, but what?

another one who has absolutely no idea how probabilities work.... 85% chance of winning means there are only 85% chance of winning, no more no less, and the % will play out ONLY on a large number of trial. The mechanic worked well, that you don't know how to play the edge is another issue and has nothing to do with the mechanic itself.

Thunderdome

Emperor
another one who has absolutely no idea how probabilities work.... 85% chance of winning means there are only 85% chance of winning, no more no less, and the % will play out ONLY on a large number of trial. The mechanic worked well, that you don't know how to play the edge is another issue and has nothing to do with the mechanic itself.
Once again, if it says 85% I will win, I am going to play it. If it gives a number that isn't favorable, I will not. That's all about strategy and knowing when to play and when to fold. I won't go blindly on something that has a 15% chance of winning. It doesn't work that way. I am not going to do 100 games just to figure out that 85 of them are winners and 15 are not, where I can win 100 games at the very chance it states.

People want strategy - not chance. People want to use their big gorilla brains to defeat an army with the proper units. That's whose sticking around, not people who want to play gatcha games where you have to pay money to get a chance at buying your anime wife trading card.

zookeepers

Marquis
In my thoughts, the problem wasn't that the minigame involves randomness. The problem was that everything about the minigame was randomness.

In the soccer event, we have no chance to train a particular player card. Every card you can get is just a result of random selection. Thus no strategy, no fun.

If in training mode we had more chance getting the player card you selected, things could have changed. We can train our teams strategically, and even if randomness played decisive roll in the results of the matches itself, there should have been less complaints.

Just4FoEbeta

Merchant
Once again, if it says 85% I will win, I am going to play it. If it gives a number that isn't favorable, I will not. That's all about strategy and knowing when to play and when to fold. I won't go blindly on something that has a 15% chance of winning. It doesn't work that way. I am not going to do 100 games just to figure out that 85 of them are winners and 15 are not, where I can win 100 games at the very chance it states.
and I'm telling you that the 15% chance to win is sometimes the better bet. Let's give a caricatural/extreme example to clarify:
85% chance to win $1 or 15% chance to win $1,000,000... would you still go for the 85% bet as it has the highest chance of winning?
but that is another issue to the original one that was about the quasi certitude to win with 85% chance

CrashBoom

Legend
and I'm telling you that the 15% chance to win is sometimes the better bet. Let's give a caricatural/extreme example to clarify:
85% chance to win $1 or 15% chance to win $1,000,000... would you still go for the 85% bet as it has the highest chance of winning?
but that is another issue to the original one that was about the quasi certitude to win with 85% chance
lol: would I take 85 cent or $150k (expected values)
I would pay $1 to win the million in 15%

better you try a serious example
would you take the 85% chance of winning 15k (=12,75k EV) or 15% chance of 100k (=15k EV)

mathematical you must take the 15% of 100k because that is the better choice
but I bet many would take the 85%

Emberguard

Emperor
Excuse me, but what?

If I wanted to play a game of chance and blatantly waste my time (money or virtual pixels) away, I would try out those slot video games that supposedly promise big pay outs to the fools who are dumb enough to be hooked.
Everything is chance in this game

If everything were chance then it’d be impossible to apply strategy. Yet chance is completely irrelevant on whether a player succeeds at Forge of Empires. It’s those that rely solely on chance that end up struggling the most, while those that apply strategy and plan ahead are the players that thrive. This is precisely why in previous years players have asked for the chance aspect to be toned down: to better align it with being a strategy game that happens to have chance present, not just chance determining the outcome.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
On the chance that was already said...
I kind of do not like the aspect that the matches are determined from the get go - The chance calculations for the win rates in the previous years soccer events may have been inappropriate at times, but completely removing it feels lackluster - especially as it contradicts real world experience, where the underdog has at least a chance of winning against the champion (even if it only is 5%)

On another note:
why are the defenders matched against the defenders and not against the offense?
should be more like this:
1652782242617.png

If everything were chance then it’d be impossible to apply strategy. Yet chance is completely irrelevant on whether a player succeeds at Forge of Empires. It’s those that rely solely on chance that end up struggling the most, while those that apply strategy and plan ahead are the players that thrive. This is precisely why in previous years players have asked for the chance aspect to be toned down: to better align it with being a strategy game that happens to have chance present, not just chance determining the outcome.
(Bold mine). Sorry @Emberguard, I think that every serious poker player will disagree with this. Developing an effective strategy depends a lot on having a keen understanding of odds.

ArklurBeta

Baronet
(Bold mine). Sorry @Emberguard, I think that every serious poker player will disagree with this. Developing an effective strategy depends a lot on having a keen understanding of odds.
- OFF -
Poker in that sense has nothing to do with this. Poker isn't about playing according to your odds only, knowing your opponents, read their actions is the big difference between a casual and a true poker player, that's the key to be a great poker player. If you play based on your odds, you won't get too far. I'm speaking from experience.
- ON -