• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Fixed on Beta: Weird things with copy-pasting text in the game.

• Thread starter DeletedUser7959
  • Start date

DeletedUser7959

When I try to CTRL+V a text that was written in the column it's pasting in the row. :confused: Weird thing is that it doesn't work always, some messages pasting normally as it should be, but some don't... I do experience this in the exchange thread, where players posting their GBs. HTML version.
Can anybody confirm this?

Artubar

Baronet
That is strange - looks like your linefeeds vanish when copying... do you use any clipboard related tool (which might change the clipboard content)?
Never happened to me, tried it right now a couple of times too.

You don't copy & paste the text into an external editor (eg notepad), and copy & paste back from there?
This can give strange results since FoE uses only a line feed character, whereas nearly all (windows) programs use carriage return & line feed...

DeletedUser7959

That is strange - looks like your linefeeds vanish when copying... do you use any clipboard related tool (which might change the clipboard content)?
Never happened to me, tried it right now a couple of times too.

You don't copy & paste the text into an external editor (eg notepad), and copy & paste back from there?
This can give strange results since FoE uses only a line feed character, whereas nearly all (windows) programs use carriage return & line feed...
I don't use anything extra, it just happened to me for the 1st time (when I posted this bug) and I actually saw this from a few other players, moreover, they confirm they experience the same issue.

DeletedUser10047

I am curious about this. You have indicated that you are using HTML5. Is this only a problem when copying from the game's Message Center? Or do you see this behavior when copying from other sources as well? When you copy from the Message Center, can you ask what the original poster was using (e.g. HTML5, Flash, mobile (iOS or Android))?

I can see that this could be a problem with certain combinations while not being an issue with other combinations.

DeletedUser10039

The only issues we have is about 3 players in the guild who cut/paste they get extra lines between each line of text. If they then cut/paste that the get even more lines so a GB list/queue ends up going over a few pages when it's originally only 4 or 5 lines long.

DeletedUser9841

I think it is a Browser problem. Firefox is working correctly and in Chrome i have the same problem as AllenWalker.

/edit

On Live Server Chrome is working corectly too, its only here on Beta. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9841

I also find it curious, in Chrome I have this C/P problem here on the beta. In a new tab with Live Server however not

DeletedUser9841

If I make a text in the input field with line breaks, copy it and paste it again then it works, the problem must lie in the window with the already written texts.

Browser: Chrome
BS: Windows 7

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7959

It happens on browser HTML version of the game (Chrome, Opera, Edge so far only those I tried) and in the app. It works only on specific players (I don't know, maybe because of the version of the game they use too).
After I switched to flash the problem was solved, everything is fine.
Screenshots from the app: L: okay R: not okay

Attachments

• Screenshot_11.png
    Screenshot_11.png
    684.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    625.2 KB · Views: 9

DeletedUser7959

I am curious about this. You have indicated that you are using HTML5. Is this only a problem when copying from the game's Message Center? Or do you see this behavior when copying from other sources as well?
Funny you asked, the same text that I'm trying to copy-paste in the message center pasting incorrectly while in any other place besides the game it's pasting as it should.

Attachments

• Screenshot_13.png
    Screenshot_13.png
    188 KB · Views: 8

Artubar

Baronet
Just ran some tests with all combinations of line feed (LF) & carriage return (CR) in the sent message, but couldn't reproduce the case of the OP.

• on live server, every single CR/LF produces a line break, resulting in the empty lines known when copying from a windows system (and also for the non-standard LF/CR combination).
    foe-cr-lf-live.png
  • on beta, all CRs seems to be stripped lately, every LF produces a line break.
    foe-cr-lf-beta.png
  • when copying the posted message back to the input box, the text / line breaks remain the same on each server.
  • when copying the posted message from live server to the input box on beta, the doubled newlines disappear.
  • copying back from the sent messages to windows shows that
    • on live servers the individual CRs & LFs are preserved and recombined to a CR/LF windows line break
    • on beta, all (remaining) line breaks are converted to LF (checked the presence with a hex editor)
    foe-cr-lf-notepad.png
  • tried Android, too (should be a single LF since it's UNIX/LINUX based) - newlines posted in the app appear the same when copying the text on beta, no stripped newlines.
    foe-android-beta.png
... as already mentioned, I could't reproduce the original problem; maybe someone with an iOS device could try if this might cause the problem..?
But the coders definitely changed something with line break handling, and they could/should take a closer look.

Dudettas

Emperor
InnoGames
Thank you for the further information. Can you confirm if this is still happening on Beta? Are you also playing a live server and does it occur there?

Artubar

Baronet
... all my observations from above do still apply (both live & beta).

And I just found an example message where the visible newlines vanish! :D

Normal line breaks (in most of all messages) are encoded as standard js "\n" sequence (in the JSON data sent when viewing a thread) - those copy & paste just fine.

In the buggy messages, the line breaks are raw "0D 0A" CR+LF sequences in the JSON data.
They are displayed as line breaks in the sent message, they're present when copying that message, but they get deleted on pasting in the message box (re-copying from there shows that no line break of any kind is present anymore).

So the question is which kind of client doesn't convert line breaks to proper ones. Right now, "normal" line breaks are being converted to "\n" before sending, both on beta (1.159.9b62bd00202 (06.08.2019 20:20)) and live (1.158.b1ae3b89a73 (07.08.2019 10:29))
"0D 0A" is still pasteable on live and gets converted to "\r" before sending.

(in case anyone needs to check: conversation id: 577409, message id: 16591798 is such a raw CR+LF message)

Andi47

Overlord
Seems when I copy messages which contain CR without LF (??), everything comes in a row without line break:

Copy_Paste_bug.jpg

1.159.9b62bd00202 (06.08.2019 20:20) (HTML5)

Artubar

Baronet
@Andi47 - Ask DonSaldo which client he is using - iOS/Android App? Browser, OS?
Am I right that you can copy/paste your original message (before Dons addition) without any problems?

Andi47

Overlord
I'm not sure whether DonSaldo used his Android Phone or his laptop this time, but yes, I copy/paste the messages above Don's message without problems.

Artubar

Baronet
Got an answer from my "problematic" poster - he's using Flash in Chrome on Win 10.

/edit: just verified it for myself: When using the Flash client (in Chrome on Win7), line breaks are being encoded as \r (while the HTML client uses \n).
When copying such a Flash-Message in HTML, the line breaks get stripped.

Last edited: