• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Watch Ads

I am very disappointed about the new Feature to pash Ads on the Mobile Players. No ads in the game is the main reason I selected to play FoE. Also on the PC I can avoid viewing the ads but can get the perks, this is not fair.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
Also on the PC I can avoid viewing the ads but can get the perks, this is not fair.
Height of selfishness or jealousy?

First, it's only in test, the installation is not finished, so we can't know if the ads will arrive on PC or not.
Then, it is a NON-MANDATORY option!
Finally, the game at the base was for PC only. Where were you when Inno announced that GvG would never be applied?
Where were you when it is possible on the phone but not on the PC to send a message to your friends in one click?
Where were you when it is allowed on applications to regress entire portions of routes while on PC you can only do it 2 boxes at a time?
I don't know how you say it in English, but in French your attitude is called "tout pour ma gueule" (all for me only)!

-Alin-

Emperor
Height of selfishness or jealousy?

First, it's only in test, the installation is not finished, so we can't know if the ads will arrive on PC or not.
Then, it is a NON-MANDATORY option!
Finally, the game at the base was for PC only. Where were you when Inno announced that GvG would never be applied?
Where were you when it is possible on the phone but not on the PC to send a message to your friends in one click?
Where were you when it is allowed on applications to regress entire portions of routes while on PC you can only do it 2 boxes at a time?
I don't know how you say it in English, but in French your attitude is called "tout pour ma gueule" (all for me only)!

Ads will be everywhere 100%, and if You have any adblocker/dns locker enabled for both phone and PC You will not be able to open the content behind Ads, You'll be promted with something similar "we are sorry, unfortunately we couldnt ..." or asking You nicely to stop Adblocker :))
But for now everything is on testing.

Thunderdome

Emperor
I am very disappointed about the new Feature to pash Ads on the Mobile Players. No ads in the game is the main reason I selected to play FoE. Also on the PC I can avoid viewing the ads but can get the perks, this is not fair.
From not getting GvG to not getting beta based events that you have to uninstall the regular app to install their beta app in order to play, the mobile user always get shafted. Somehow, I guess I can laugh on this since I always had been saying that the PC players are the ones getting the shaft when mobile markets are thriving.

@DEADP00L, for comedy value, mate, I could answer some of those (for fun)...
Where were you when Inno announced that GvG would never be applied?
Probably married to my job. Working in construction (in the telecommunications and networking aspect) does take time out of your day. Riding on lifts was the fun part at 15 feet up (gone as far up as 30 feet).
Definitely married to my job as I hardly get the luxury of playing. Then I found out about the FoE app I can play on the mobile. Try running TeamViewer to your home computer on the tablet just to try and play, lol. This (TeamViewer) was before THAT (The FoE app).
They have a feature like that? I haven't noticed too much on it, I guess. I just go in, fight, collect, bug the hell out of the global chat (like I am really doing that, heh heh), and just go back to what I am doing: being married to my job.
Ads will be everywhere 100%, and if You have any adblocker/dns locker enabled for both phone and PC You will not be able to open the content behind Ads, You'll be promted with something similar "we are sorry, unfortunately we couldnt ..." or asking You nicely to stop Adblocker :))
Yeah, I guess that is true. Google and YouTube had done it, then Facebook, now Netflix (from what I saw; glad I canceled since they got shows that really sucked) in the near future. Then of course, I had done it by using an ad-blocker that I can watch a movie or listen to a music playlist without those pesky ads interrupting midway.

But, seriously, the purpose of the ad is to track the user so they (the advertisers) can send more ads of what is being watched to the user. This is not something I would like happening, so it's a "no" from me. Just hoping Inno can disable such content upon knowing there is an ad-blocker active so we don't have to waste our time in trying to click such and being presented with an error message. In VB it's a simple "show/hide" or "xxx.enable=true/xxx.enable=false" (where xxx is the module) statement that can solve many things.
But for now everything is on testing.
Yeah it sure is. For the time being.

CrashBoom

Legend
Also on the PC I can avoid viewing the ads but can get the perks, this is not fair.
that is not fair

YOU get it for free

I don't get it at all :mad:

I am very disappointed about the new Feature to pash Ads on the Mobile Players.
I am very disappointed: I don't get Ads on mobile
(I assume. because I don't have the free thing on PC either
but to be honest: I don't even have a smartphone with internet)

so before everybody gets the same you shouldn't play the "it is not fair" card o_O

Ads will be everywhere 100%
and for everybody :cool:

Thunderdome

Emperor
Damn you, Inno!

Now, I want this feature to be given to everyone to test since I kept hearing what others are getting through those specials:

• Units (4 from what I heard and that player doesn't have a 'traz, event building that recruits troops, or any other method of recruitment)
• Forge Points (2 to 5 from what I heard, could be more)
• Supplies (in the thousands)
• Goods (in 5, 10, 20 in one go)

And, I am pretty sure there's a lot more to it.

I also want it to see if my ad-blocker is going to block it as it should and that Inno took measures in making sure people won't exploit such as a result (yeah I don't want to get banned or be told I was exploiting something when it was on Inno's part for creating the mess in the first place; they should know that the ad-blockers were here first before they come up with this half-baked idea of ad inclusion). I also wanted to see if Inno will evidently say that because of said ad-blockers that come with every browser standard (very few need an extension for such) that the mobile players will be the only ones to receive ad-related content.

I am hoping and I am speculating that Inno will take measures in ensuring that everyone has a fair gaming environment to include the ability of viewing an ad (as some had said, it was optional; we shall see when it does come live) to earn the reward. I'm also suggesting that Inno hides those features upon detection of an ad-blocker (or give us a setting to optionally disable/enable ad-related specials like special incidents, quests, and/or aid all) so it will save the frustration of players when they try to click on a feature and it doesn't work that they have to send in a ticket. A disclaimer should be announced (in the splash screen) for those wishing to optionally access the special content that they should disable their ad-blocker for the duration of their gameplay (or be able to add FoE to their list of exceptions through their AB extension/settings, if such exists; I know for my firewall, there are sites I put in for exemption because I know said sites are safe and it lets me go there while it does its job in blocking everything else) or they can disable such extra content in settings of the game.

Took me long to brain storm these suggestions. Gonna get some rest.

Thank you Deadpool for your Answer. I play FoE on PC and Mobile so I can avoid ads for now.

It doesn't matter where I was at those times you mention. I am offering my feedback on a beta feature that I dislike, this is what the beta is for. I even go to the trouble of putting the beta on my mobile device. Even though it is very buggy at times.

I like Thunderdome idea to be able to opt-out of these new perks if one would like to continue to enjoy an ad free experience.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
I am offering my feedback on a beta feature that I dislike, this is what the beta is for.
I understand, but as I said before:
Wait until you see this addition completed before unleashing your wrath!

You make me think of kids who in front of a plate with unknown foods decided they didn't like having tasted it.

Otherwise for those who do not want to see the advertisements, it will suffice not to click on this icon:
Capture d’écran 2022-05-11 103154.png

Thunderdome

Emperor
Otherwise for those who do not want to see the advertisements, it will suffice not to click on this icon:
Actually, mate, I am a bit curious... for those of us that didn't receive this as part of testing, would it be safe to say that they are testing the ability for those wishing to opt out, those who have active ad blockers, or those who may/may not fiddle with the settings to enable/disable such content (as a simulation, not real practice as I do not know Inno's method to their madness for this)? For if that's the case, then a few more lines of code would not hurt anyone (if placed in right).
You make me think of kids who in front of a plate with unknown foods decided they didn't like having tasted it.
I like this analogy. Reminds me of a time where a kid sees something his mother made and he would not eat it for the world (or would name something in disgust). Even though it was a widely known comic centered around a six year old and his wild imagination, I had seen real life kids doing the same (my nieces would not eat anything if it's not finger foods or lunchables). However, unknown foods can be dangerous, sometimes fatal, if it contained something allergic to a person without it being disclosed before they take the first bite. I am in the latter part of that where I am allergic (now, for some odd reason) to shrimp (even the artificial kind and/or the flavor stuff) that I would convulse, throw up until I pass out, and wake up hours later on a hospital bed. Makes up for a good costume for Halloween as I got the blood (real blood) eyes like I was a demon or possessed by one.

Where does my statement goes with the current situation at hand? Those who are used to having ads would not mind them at all and probably would not care; those who are not used to having ads (or have felt secured after using ad-blockers in making sure they go on the internet ad-free) should not feel that they are betrayed (you have to thank the old "pop-up" ads of yesteryear for the design of such ad-blockers and people's heightened sense of online safety or peace of mind).

This was also why I had said I would rather pay diamonds to use a feature, collect special items, and/or do other things. It's already on most of the things that gave us a choice in doing so, so why not on this type of stuff. I didn't say it should replace the "watch ad" button but it should be a choice on spending diamonds to use or watching an ad to use. Mathematically, if a special feature costs 5 diamonds to use, you will spend the following: 5 for the special quest collection, 5 for each aid all (total of 3 places or 15 diamonds), and 5 for the special incidents (4 from what I had heard so a total of 20 diamonds). A grand total of 40 diamonds in a day to use (unless there's more that come about). In two weeks' time (14 days) that total comes to 560 diamonds spent. If those cost 10 diamonds that amount doubles well over the amount needed to spend $9.99 USD to buy a diamond package of said amount. I didn't factor in the free diamonds obtained by GBg, GE, or quests/regular incidents as I am sure those are low amounts let alone the chance factor of getting such is low.

Take me, for instance, and my desire to spend diamonds to use this. I (for an example I am using as it is not of true disclosure) have 500 diamonds to my name. I decided to aid everyone at the total cost of 15 diamonds for day 1, collect the 4 special incidents (spent 20 in total for them), and collect the special quest (another 5). I now have 460 diamonds left as I didn't get any diamonds today by collection, GE, GBg, WW/FoY, etc. Day 2, I spend another 40 diamonds and I didn't get any from any source, so I now have 420 diamonds left. I did this (and with my luck in not collecting diamonds) for the next couple of days that I wind up with 100 diamonds left (my little threshold, for example). If I want to keep going, I would have to either buy a new diamond package of a sizable amount or would have to "watch an ad" (but in order to do that, I have to disable my ad-blocker or go on the mobile to play such ads so I can do that if I don't want to disable it at the browser). This is what I meant about "choice", not something that is forced upon someone like the unknown food.

Imagine if Inno does this, not only they will see revenue for the ads being watched, but they will see revenue for the diamond packages being bought by those who do not have access to such wealth. Even if they put the price at 10 per, I highly doubt anyone (unless they are the luckiest player on Earth) would collect enough to offset the costs associated with using the special features.

So, basically (and the end of this), three choices:
• Spend diamonds for a feature
• Watch an ad for a feature
• Hide the features from view (those wishing to opt out in settings of the game, regardless of ad-blocking software/extensions)

In the end, everyone is happy.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
• Spend diamonds for a feature
And so not correct a mistake that Inno made by letting well worlds become popular?

• Watch an ad for a feature
This is the goal to allow those who do not want / cannot pay Inno to benefit from the advantages in exchange for a little time.

• Hide the features from view (those wishing to opt out in settings of the game, regardless of ad-blocking software/extensions)
And thus limit themselves in the possibility of increasing their profits?
Because by dint of being masked, everyone will no longer stay there and therefore no chance for Inno that we are watching.
You're not good enough not to click if it bothers you so much, you need to be protected from yourself?
If you're only thinking about yourself, not Inno or those who can't pay, then yes you're right, it's time to find yourself another game.

Thunderdome

Emperor
And so not correct a mistake that Inno made by letting well worlds become popular?
Actually, they are more like coin (more), supply (only a few), or goods (most) wells (FPs does not even cut close to this average). Out of the 50 I got in my city on Beta, I only had 1 that gives 50 diamonds at a spread of every 3-5 days. Other days, I don't get them, so the chances are very low for diamonds from them or FoYs. But that's their mistake, so we shouldn't have to be punished for something that's been allowed.
This is the goal to allow those who do not want / cannot pay Inno to benefit from the advantages in exchange for a little time.
As well as other options to a player's choice. It doesn't have to be "either do this or else".
And thus limit themselves in the possibility of increasing their profits?
Then Inno's just like the others who deliver rushed sub-par content and asking to be paid for it. Could you ask the same question when people choose not to buy diamonds even if they could not get them elsewhere? It boils down to affordability and thoughts of the player. Other games would have a spot (Peanut Labs) where a person can do surveys or watch videos to earn little premium currency, but that's on a separate location than on the game itself, usually where a person is taken to pay for such premium currency.
You're not good enough not to click if it bothers you so much, you need to be protected from yourself?
I just don't like content that would sit there for days on end and messing up with my game play (i.e., the quest completion green checkmark in thinking I have another quest that has been completed; most people click to see; or the sprites that add more to the already taxed system resources in use for just playing it).
If you're only thinking about yourself, not Inno or those who can't pay, then yes you're right, it's time to find yourself another game.
Maybe, I was thinking about myself or maybe I was thinking about others as well. But as a person who worked in a Quality Assurance role, I have to put myself in other's shoes. Hence, why I voice my concerns as well as suggestions that will benefit everyone, Including Inno.

Last edited:

Silly Beaver

Merchant
I understand, but as I said before:

Wait until you see this addition completed before unleashing your wrath!

View attachment 8025
That is not the only place the Ads are present. Unfortunately I am caught by an Ad that I can not watch let alone ignore. There is a special quest telling me to watch an Ad and get a coin. Currently there is no Ads for me to watch (none to view on my pc), but it is preventing me from scrolling to get to the spend forge points recurring quest. So until I can complete this impossible task my quests are locked. That my friend, is Ads interfering with my game play.

CrashBoom

Legend
That is not the only place the Ads are present. Unfortunately I am caught by an Ad that I can not watch let alone ignore. There is a special quest telling me to watch an Ad and get a coin. Currently there is no Ads for me to watch (none to view on my pc), but it is preventing me from scrolling to get to the spend forge points recurring quest. So until I can complete this impossible task my quests are locked. That my friend, is Ads interfering with my game play.
you can write the support and ask to abort that quest

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
That my friend, is Ads interfering with my game play.
Are you aware that we are on a beta version which is used to determine bugs?
So complaining on the forum about an advertisement that you can't ignore without filing a ticket... it makes you wonder if you're confusing the beta version with your live world.

-Alin-

Emperor
Collect one Coin(any buildings in Your city which are producing coins) and that quest is completed on browser.

Thunderdome

Emperor
I rest my case.
you can write the support and ask to abort that quest
Now I am having a brainstorm going about when you stated that, mate. Perhaps Inno should put an "abort" button to skip said quest and an abort based button to clear the special incidents off the screen (no reward, but to remove the extra resource) for those who desire in not wanting to watch an ad. This way, it won't interfere with anyone's game play (I still hold my prior suggestions as to my reservation on how it can be done for all sides to be happy).
So complaining on the forum about an advertisement that you can't ignore without filing a ticket... it makes you wonder if you're confusing the beta version with your live world.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no other locations of the game this little gem is being tested on... unless Inno has "sneaked" it on some live worlds and hasn't told anyone about it. So, I am guessing it's beta. Not only that, but if this was true on what was said about such interfering with gameplay, it's a very big issue that needs to be looked into.
Collect one Coin(any buildings in Your city which are producing coins) and that quest is completed on browser.
I don't have this on mine so I cannot determine if that is possible. However, if they collected coin in the city and this quest isn't cleared due to the fact they could not access the ad to watch then it's a very big problem if it interferes with not being able to access the RQ.

Silly Beaver

Merchant
Are you aware that we are on a beta version which is used to determine bugs?
And are you aware that you are a conceited piece of work that can't get passed his/her self importance. This is an open forum for beta discussion and for the most part all you do is nit pick and belittle conversations. You made the comment that all you had to do was not click on one button to not see Ads. I pointed out that you were incorrect in your statement by explaining how the Ads interfered with game play that is it. Then you had to respond in some obtuse way to deflect that you might have not had all the information before you made your bold statement. Yes i know the difference between beta and live I have 289 days in beta and I am no whale but I have spent hundreds of dollars of real money in my other worlds so I do have skin in the game. So I for one do not look forward to Ads even If I do not have to open them. They will be a distraction just by their presence. Now lets tackle your defense of new releases. The beta world should not be an excuse for poor code. Even the devs should be using a mirror site to pre-test changes instead of dumping something so buggy that it seems as if they tossed bytes into a bowl stirred then threw them at the wall. And if the beta is the all powerful proving/testing ground why do we get so many bugs on the live servers after it is tested here first? You appear to be like many of these "long time players" who feel that their longevity on a forum makes them believe that their opinions carry more weight when in fact you are out of touch with what is going on right in front of your face. The winds of change are blowing hard with new players and you need find out if you will bend or break in this new wind.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
My opinion has no more weight than any other, I'm just saying that if the beta version wants to exist for anything other than pointing out small bugs, Inno should differ by more than a month each update between the beta and lives.
Moreover, a bug will be checked and corrected better if it is reported by a ticket where the operator can precisely define the origin than on a forum.

And do you know that there is a version before the beta where moderators and operators play? Strange that they don't see the simple bugs that we see, relay and which still happen on the live versions.

Thunderdome

Emperor
And do you know that there is a version before the beta where moderators and operators play? Strange that they don't see the simple bugs that we see, relay and which still happen on the live versions.
You, me, and pretty much the rest of the Forge of Empires players are very curious as to what they really do over there. In the QA role of the past, I would test most software in-house. If there were discrepancies found, reports are generated and the project leaders would get them to hand out to their programmers/engineers to investigate. It can be a few hours, or a few days, before the product is updated to be tested again (I'd be testing another product). The companies I had worked for has a tolerance factor of how much is acceptable before a beta test can occur. The last known value in my memory was about 90% acceptance; where as close to 10% will probably be discovered by such beta testers that the in-house testing might have missed. Also, in-house might have one type of system, network, or layout, whereas, a beta environment would have multiple layouts (no two are the same), followed by a live environment that will have much more.

So, relax everyone. A forum, like the game, is a place where we all can share our experiences and gather from them or make our own.

Silly Beaver

Merchant
Thanks for the tip on the coin collection. I have no dwellings due to event buildings supplying population and happiness, that is why I was having a hard time with that one. I now have 1 dwelling just to claim that quest after I have collected the rest of my city.