• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Summer Event 2023

Tempestas

Squire
I do think with this event they have broken their promise to make the main building achievable without spending money or diamonds. I've even spent some diamonds one day when the daily was something I wanted. But whenever I do the math, it turns out I'm not getting the last level, I'm not even talking about the gold level. If they don't significantly change this I'm not even trying for the main building in my live world, there's no point. I might accidently get it but I'm going to collect all my doublons and put them on a daily. Of course, they will put the best dailies at the beginning when you have nothing to spend and the very end when you have already spent it all because you gave up waiting for something good, lol.

Last edited:

CrashBoom

Legend
I do think with this event they have broken their promise to make the main building achievable without spending money or diamonds
but more changes will come :rolleyes:

We also plan to do more changes in the next days, so stay tuned!

I might accidently get it but I'm going to collect all my doublons and put them on a daily.
this event doesn't have any strategy to increace chances for getting the full main prize
so it doesn't matter if you play for daily specials or for calendar or just open the board just randomly

(unlike for example the anniversary event --> strategy to always open the biggest chest daily for x2. there it was bad strategy for main prize to spend all on one day)

Of course, they will put the best dailies at the beginning when you have nothing to spend and the very end when you have already spent it all because you gave up waiting for something good, lol.
I wish they would publish the daily special list when the event starts
so people could plan with that information

They may have increased the number of doubloons that can be found in the "garbage", but I think they've lowered the chances of getting them to some absurdly ridiculously low level!
Previously I found a few singles and after the change nothing....

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
So in the next event we will have 2 premium lines, one for $15 and another one for $25. What they offer in these packages is really irrelevant for me anymore. I decided not to spend any money anymore, they are just not worth it. They fast forwarded released GE5 and everyone is in high need of defence boosts. The summer event is good example here. Privateer's Boathouse is an amazing building that provides both types of boosts, offensive and defensive, but guess what, they radically changed the event and it's just impossible to build one to max level without burning tens of thousands of diamonds. Yet we have the event already filled with overpowered golden upgrades for Governor's Villa, 2023 summer kits and extra upgrades to be able to finish the main building.

This event is nothing more than an aggressive beggar for money. They know very well that we need those defence boosts and they bloat us with buildings and upgrades with defence boosts for money.
Create the problem, sell the solution. Classic marketing strategy. Though I think they would’ve earned more money if they included the boathouse selection kits in epic selection kits.
I’m still debating rather to take a general summer break on Forge or not. To shift my focus in favour of RL. The future looks increasingly more bleak and frustrating for F2P. The Swinter event, hyper inflated ultimate coach/hero, increasingly aggressive push for golden level grind, double down on cash passes, etc. are main contributors. Didn’t like the summer event mechanics too much. This “new” reskinned winter mechanics are even worse. Glad at least the summer event got compromised. Cause we at least can implement a summer-break during this event. Effectively ignoring it in its entirety.

Astrid

Baronet
Create the problem, sell the solution. Classic marketing strategy. Though I think they would’ve earned more money if they included the boathouse selection kits in epic selection kits.
I’m still debating rather to take a general summer break on Forge or not. To shift my focus in favour of RL. The future looks increasingly more bleak and frustrating for F2P. The Swinter event, hyper inflated ultimate coach/hero, increasingly aggressive push for golden level grind, double down on cash passes, etc. are main contributors. Didn’t like the summer event mechanics too much. This “new” reskinned winter mechanics are even worse. Glad at least the summer event got compromised. Cause we at least can implement a summer-break during this event. Effectively ignoring it in its entirety.
I'm also seriously considering taking quite a break. No matter what prizes they throw in this event the mechanics are so discouraging that I decided it's better for me not to spend money / diamonds anymore, someday I will get enough city defense to beat GE5 only by fighting. It's just not worth to hurry the things anymore.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Separating out my feelings on general balance, the in-game descriptions on the hideouts need to be shortened greatly. We can't even see whether it's for defending or attacking army in-game:
1682877342514.png

How am I supposed to know if I want the item when I can't see what exactly it's making?

(Yes the information is in the announcement, but that's not an acceptable fallback; find a way to fit the description for an item in without an ellipsis!)

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
I'm also seriously considering taking quite a break. No matter what prizes they throw in this event the mechanics are so discouraging that I decided it's better for me not to spend money / diamonds anymore, someday I will get enough city defense to beat GE5 only by fighting. It's just not worth to hurry the things anymore.
If the event felt fair and rewarding I wouldn’t feel this way. The mechanics don’t feel that way. The cheap excuse luck is pushed quit hard. My main issue is that forge is supposedly a strategy game. Not a game of chance. The power leap, leading to higher risks of buyer remorse is also pushing me away is another contributor.
To me the decision to double down on a worse game of chance, is for me reason enough to either start playing significantly less or not at all. To me the decision in regards events fall upon a simple thing applied to everything: is the results worth the effort to me?

Pass Go

Squire
I think Inno wants to get rid of people that don't Pay to Win by making the events more and more boring, with no chance of winning a decent prize without dipping into the credit cards. Not playing this event in live worlds since there are only 2 selections available on the "swinter" map. I liked the wheel and ship moving a lot better. Also, the lack of doubloons on incidents is worse than normal - at least for me. I collect all incidents at least once a day, haven't seen more than one or two times that I got any and even those were single digits. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

jtrucker

Baronet
Separating out my feelings on general balance, the in-game descriptions on the hideouts need to be shortened greatly. We can't even see whether it's for defending or attacking army in-game:
View attachment 9585

How am I supposed to know if I want the item when I can't see what exactly it's making?

(Yes the information is in the announcement, but that's not an acceptable fallback; find a way to fit the description for an item in without an ellipsis!)
The solution would be very simple (If Inno actually pays attention to this forum) - The icon at the fragment has WHITE shield. That is ultimately wrong color. We do not have white shields in the game. The icon should have RED shield if the 100%(200)% defense is for attacking army and BLUE if it is for defending army. Simple as that. Then the length of the text wouldn't matter.

jtrucker

Baronet
Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember how many stars were we getting in the Christmas event for daily login and for the quest tasks? I simply do not remember, but I bet it was more than 10 each. Was it 60? or 80? or even 100? Don't know but surely more than 10. And that's the whole problem.
Inno copied mechanics from another event (whether we like it or not is beside the question), but kinda forgot to copy the appropriate numbers going with said mechanics. And that's that.
They can either fix it for live servers (it is too late for us here now unless they would credit us all for the extra currency we missed by wrong amount of quests and daily logins until now) ), or simply people will ignore the event on the live servers.
Event does not have to be easy and "given without effort", but it should be doable. This one is MATHEMATICALLY impossible to do, no matter the amount of luck . And that's wrong, plain and simple.

I often buy diamonds, I think it's only fair (since I can afford it, not everyone can), but I can assure you, not one diamond will be acquired or spent on this event on the main servers. For starters, I play a lot of worlds. Too many to even contemplate the pay pass level, even if it had anything decent on it. And since I've had one incident in how many days? where I got dubloons (okay, it was 10 and I nearly fainted), I know there is no way I can do this event. I doubt even the big spenders can pull this off. Nice event building, but not worth what one would have to spend to even try to get it all the way up.

Sorry Inno, you really blew it this time. Please message your new game manager, Gordon Gekko, and tell him to expect to see a lot of people quit playing altogether.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember how many stars were we getting in the Christmas event for daily login and for the quest tasks? I simply do not remember, but I bet it was more than 10 each. Was it 60? or 80? or even 100? Don't know but surely more than 10. And that's the whole problem.
Inno copied mechanics from another event (whether we like it or not is beside the question), but kinda forgot to copy the appropriate numbers going with said mechanics. And that's that.
They can either fix it for live servers (it is too late for us here now unless they would credit us all for the extra currency we missed by wrong amount of quests and daily logins until now) ), or simply people will ignore the event on the live servers.
Event does not have to be easy and "given without effort", but it should be doable. This one is MATHEMATICALLY impossible to do, no matter the amount of luck . And that's wrong, plain and simple.
The answer is quite simple, they copied the mechanics of the two "swinter" events and pasted them into this one: last year's summer event you actually received 1 doubloon, but you managed to make the ship travel on the map and you had a timer for +3 doubloons per day + incidents + daily missions that gave 1 doubloon + at a certain point in the game it gave 10 doubloons at the end of the mission 20 and 25 doubloons at the end finish mission 45. All that added you could win the Governor Village, pirate hideout and buccaners.But with this one they copied these summer prizes, but they copied the mechanics of the winter event that doesn't work that way because there you received 14 stars with a chance of doubling to 28 and the missions daily gave 10 stars if I'm not mistaken and after 25 stars for each mission completion. In addition to earning + stars and so you got the winter building They are so negligent that they don't even think about it a little more and analyze that there is no way to copy two events to make this year's summer mechanics without having some catch. They know sooooooo well what they're doing, they just pretend they're fixing things they themselves know are wrong to make the feedback work.

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
Only 1095 stars for free, but you had to reach 300 progress. That sounds harder, as in this event we have to reach 280 progress with 1110 doubloons. However, in the winter event, there was the 14 star present which helped offset star costs.

Additionally, in the Summer Event, incidents are much rarer to give doubloons, and only up to 30. The Winter Event had incidents that could give up to 100, and gave stars much more often. Case in point, I have yet to receive doubloons from incidents since the incident rebalancing.

Running my personal numbers, it appears that it costs about 8.5 - 8.6 doubloons/tile in this summer event, and I'm averaging exactly 2 progress/tile so far. Assuming those numbers to be true:
  1. 280 progress / 2 progress/tile = 140 tiles needed to be flipped
  2. 140 tiles * 8.6 doubloons/tile = 1204 doubloons needed
  3. 1110 free doubloons - 1204 needed = 94 doubloons left over (on average).
This means that you will have to get on average 94 doubloons from incidents, but you could be much further off.

Worst case scenario: average 1 progress/tile = 2408 doubloons needed (total)
Best case scenario: average 3 progress/tile = 802 doubloons needed (total)

In my mind, incident odds to win doubloons are a little low. Either increase that or up the milestone rewards.

------------------------------------

On another topic entirely, the Cartographer's House is really hard to win. Took me 7 treasure maps checking both refresh pools to even see a pool with the Cartographer's House as a reward. Seems way too hard to get in terms of its boosts.

qaccy

Emperor
The solution would be very simple (If Inno actually pays attention to this forum) - The icon at the fragment has WHITE shield. That is ultimately wrong color. We do not have white shields in the game. The icon should have RED shield if the 100%(200)% defense is for attacking army and BLUE if it is for defending army. Simple as that. Then the length of the text wouldn't matter.
That's fair, but this issue is present in other areas of the game as well...just about anywhere that provides fragment rewards has them cut off like this. Short of rewording the item names, perhaps the infoboxes could be made larger to allow all of the text to display? They seem to have a limit to how far they can stretch, which doesn't really accommodate everything anymore.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
That's fair, but this issue is present in other areas of the game as well...just about anywhere that provides fragment rewards has them cut off like this. Short of rewording the item names, perhaps the infoboxes could be made larger to allow all of the text to display? They seem to have a limit to how far they can stretch, which doesn't really accommodate everything anymore.
I would suggest that "Fragment of" need not be written if a fragment is present on the icon next to it. would help a lot at cutting off the least interesting part of the phrase.

Because yes, this is an issue in new-GE as well with the selection kits that you don't know what one you're winning fragments for just by looking at the prize list.