• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Ships in all eras

• Thread starter DeletedUser9962
  • Start date

DeletedUser8859

To lose population it would require to:
  • demolish residential buildings at the city, (a house gets destroyed at city because a ship loses a battle at sea? Not logical. Or
  • reduce a level from a GB like Tower of Babel or Innovation Tower (not currently possible).
A solution, compatible with current game mechanics (therefore easier for developers to copy/adapt) would be, like military buildings, have a Ship related building where you train your crew. If the Ship sinks and crew is lost you need to train new crew members to replace the dead ones.

DeletedUser

As a player, conceptually I like this idea (the OP). As a Community Manager I am wondering how feasible it would be to develop and implement, and what would be gained overall.

The existing ship/hub mechanic is based on special goods that were designed to be required in specific areas in the new age content releases, but coding a new 'special good' into a new age is one thing, going back into existing game mechanics and trying to code it I feel is much more complicated.

So in my mind I see it as a choice between 2 things before even considering the overall idea:
1 - Keep the existing 'special goods' mechanic on all ships and then figure out how to implement it in existing ages without blowing up the game (not literally) :D
2 - Change the existing special goods mechanic which could have significant impact on future age content

As to the ship battles or water battles, that is an entire other project that would require significant development investment to implement.

Anyway, just sharing my personal opinions. I like the basic idea though :)

Keep sharing your great ideas everyone, I appreciate them all.

DeletedUser8859

Discussion have moved to Ships from all Eras, including AF and OF that have the Ship and Submarine to get special goods. These new Ships will travel to get Goods (normal goods of the Ship era, unrefined or refined goods, not special goods), plus (possibly if upgraded to Level 2 and Level 3) FPs, coins and other resources.
  • This eliminates concerns #1 and #2.
  • No impact to Research Tree.
  • Please notice that AF and OF cities will have two types of Ships, current ones for special goods, and the Ships of this new feature.
Water Battles development project still remain:
  • Design battle zone / environment, rules,
  • Can current AI be used? New AI needed?
  • Define Ships attack/defense stats per Age / level
  • Create weapons / skills
Ship cycle: Timer of 24 hrs?
  • Ship is sent for voyage, timer start
  • Random cargo/rewards is assigned by the game
  • Ship is attacked before timer ends?
    • Yes? Battle occurs.
      • For Defense:
        • If Ship wins battle journey continues, wins Attacking Ship cargo(?)
        • If Ship loses battle: cargo is lost, some repairs costs will be required when timer finish and Ship arrive to city.
      • For Attacker:
        • If victory, loot the defeated Ship cargo.
        • If loses, Defending Ship gains reward(?) from attacker Ship cargo(?)
    • No?
      • Ships arrives to Owner City with complete cargo at end of Timer.
      • Owner collects from Ship. Ship cannot be plundered at city, only at sea while in transit, while timer is on.
  • Ship arrives to city: Timer Ends
    • If victorious during voyage, or not attacked: Owner collect rewards, reset ship, resend to sea.
    • If ship loss last battle before arriving to city, then no cargo, nothing to collect by owner.
    • If attacked ship needs repairs(costs?), new crew trained and assigned.
  • Need to define if Ship can be attacked more than one time during transit.
    • If yes, by another neighbor, not from the same attacker during the same journey.
    • If Ship won previous battles then there are rewards at risk at next battle.
    • If Ship lost the previous battle then nothing to be plundered if this new battle is lost.
  • The Ship Owner should be informed of battles during journey, who attacked, and which rewards were gain or lost in the battle(s).
A crew training building is needed.
Mechanics to start a Ship Battle is needed.
  • Attacker selects a victim from Neighborhood and press a button?
  • Attacker's Ship must be on journey to be able to attack.
  • Defender's Ship must be in transit to be attacked. No battle if Ship is at city.

Last edited by a moderator:

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
Some very good ideas there^.

What about aesthetics? If I'm going to have a ship in my bay, I want to be able to skin it. Name the ship like we can name our cities, color/design sails, flag design, and so on...

Last edited:

DeletedUser8859

Some very good ideas there^. What about aesthetics? If I'm going to have a ship in my bay, I want to be able to skin it. Name the ship like we can name our cities, color/design sails, flag design, and so on...

Sink it?
  • There should be an image of a damaged ship if there were battles during transit in the last journey.
  • There should be an image for the normal Ship after repairs, or if arriving without battles.
  • Not sure if the Ship wins all battles in the journey should arrive with the normal image and no repair costs required.
  • For sinking the ship an animation will be required and a button or something to start this sinking animation, also an "Are you sure?" checkbox before sinking the ship.
Skin it?
  • Custom name similar to ability to name our own city?
    • OK. A field to store the Ship name could be added somewhere, maybe at the Town Hall.
  • Ship color /design custom made by player?
    • Inno have limited to have multiple images for the same "building" of a same Era. Only exception coming to my mind are the Victory Towers that have multiple designs without considering the design for Level 2.
    • Ships of higher Eras must have a new design. Not like Champions that used the same design for several early ages.
  • Flag design
    • Our own design? I doubt Inno will allow based in previous experience.
    • Maybe we could select a flag from a list provided by Inno, like the guild symbol / flag.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
Sink it?
  • There should be an image of a damaged ship if there were battles during transit in the last journey.
  • There should be an image for the normal Ship after repairs, or if arriving without battles.
  • Not sure if the Ship wins all battles in the journey should arrive with the normal image and no repair costs required.
  • For sinking the ship an animation will be required and a button or something to start this sinking animation, also an "Are you sure?" checkbox before sinking the ship.

Good ideas, yes, but...

Skin it?
  • Custom name similar to ability to name our own city?
    • OK. A field to store the Ship name could be added somewhere, maybe at the Town Hall.
  • Ship color /design custom made by player?
    • Inno have limited to have multiple images for the same "building" of a same Era. Only exception coming to my mind are the Victory Towers that have multiple designs without considering the design for Level 2.
    • Ships of higher Eras must have a new design. Not like Champions that used the same design for several early ages.
  • Flag design
    • Our own design? I doubt Inno will allow based in previous experience.
    • Maybe we could select a flag from a list provided by Inno, like the guild symbol / flag.

...this was exactly what I meant. :D

Click the ship and name it. The name is available to visitors and attackers alike when the mouse hovers on the ship.

Also, figureheads, such as

D.jpg DSC02951.jpg lion-figurehead-maritime-museum.jpg

for example, could be won or purchased.

Flag designs provided by Inno, of course. :p

Perhaps also a range of planking styles and stains as well.

Not everyone is going to want to participate in ship battles or seafaring, but they should at least be able to have some fun with the ship sitting in their bay. :)

DeletedUser8859

Battle points from a Ship vs Ship battle to impact Player Ranking points in the same way than other battle points like:
  • Continent Map sectors battles,
  • Neighborhood (PvP Era Towers),
  • GE encounters,
  • GvG
  • DC "Defeat this Large/Medium/Small Army"

DeletedUser8859

There are multiple games based on battles at sea, and FOE is not the only game with battles over a terrain.

DeletedUser

Stupid idea. Ships in AF or OF bring special goods not obtainable other way (except diaxes). What would bring ships in other eras?

DeletedUser8859

Please note that these Ships are not exactly the same as the AF Ship or the OF Submarine dedicated to produce/get Special Goods used at primarily at Research, and in GE Negotiations. If implemented,
  • AF cities will have:
    • AF Artic Harbor / Ship to get Promethium,
    • AF Crew Training building / Ship described in this idea.
  • OF cities will have:
    • AF Artic Harbor / Ship to get Promethium,
    • OF Oceanic Terminal / Submarine to get Orichalcum
    • Of Crew Training Building / Ship described in this idea.

What would bring ships in other eras?
  • Goods of the city Era, FPs, Coins, Supplies, Medals, …
  • Originally was suggested Diamonds (in very rare occasions).
  • Consumable Items like One Up Kits, Reno Kits, etc.
  • Not only the random rewards amount for a single trip, but also the rewards of ships who attacked your ship during the trip but were defeated.
  • Also, rewards won when attacking other ships using your ship.
  • Indirectly the Ships will bring Ranking Points for the Player from:
    • Battle Points,
    • And maybe a bit extra from the Crew Training building (3x3? or 3x4?), if designed to be built on the city, and not as an off-city facility like the Tavern or AF / OF Hubs.
Battles with Ships would be independent to hood battles were the player have the opportunity to plunder a building from the defeated player city. In these Ship vs Ship battles the winner (attacking or defending ship) takes the cargo/rewards of the defeated ship.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

• Goods of the city Era, FPs, Coins, Supplies, Medals, …
  • Originally was suggested Diamonds (in very rare occasions).
  • Consumable Items like One Up Kits, Reno Kits, etc.
  • Not only the random rewards amount for a single trip, but also the rewards of ships who attacked your ship during the trip but were defeated.
  • Also, rewards won when attacking other ships using your ship.
Battles with Ships would be independent to hood battles were the player have the opportunity to plunder a building from the defeated player city. In these Ship vs Ship battles the winner (attacking or defending ship) takes the cargo/rewards of the defeated ship.
I was reffering to original "idea", you know. And for now, we cannot attack or plunder AF or OF ships, so what, we could do this in the eras? An still, in these two eras they would bring special goods, while in other eras they would bring everything else? How do you imagine that? No sense.

DeletedUser8859

See edited post.
  • These Ships are not the Ship from the Artic Harbor, and not the Submarine from the Oceanic Terminal. These Ships are something else, new, different, additional.
  • These Ships will have nothing to do with Special Goods.
  • The OP listed what the Ships would bring, other posts after that debated / suggested changes to the rewards.

DeletedUser8859

As a player, conceptually I like this idea (the OP). As a Community Manager I am wondering how feasible it would be to develop and implement, and what would be gained overall.
  • As a player I like it too.
  • Not enough information to estimate how difficult this would be compared to development / implementation of other features like GE or Cultural Settlements.
  • What to be gained?
    • New Game Feature
    • A new type of social interaction (Ships battles) besides: Aid (Motivation/Polishing), Tavern Visits, Attacking/Plundering (city), GB Investing
    • Rewards / Ranking Points for Player

DeletedUser

See edited post.
  • These Ships are not the Ship from the Artic Harbor, and not the Submarine from the Oceanic Terminal. These Ships are something else, new, different, additional.
  • These Ships will have nothing to do with Special Goods.
  • The OP listed what the Ships would bring, other posts after that debated / suggested changes to the rewards.
Well, then in AF and OF than would make rather crowded marina near the town. One more ship and we're done.
No, I don't like the idea whatsoever. Vikings made me sceptical about "new" features.

DeletedUser8859

Crew Training building:
  • Building Type:
    • Developers to decide if a Special Building to be built on the city, or an out of city facility like the Tavern, Artic Harbor or Oceanic Terminal.
    • Classified as an special building? special military building?
  • Era:
    • Same Era as the city, upgrades to new Era automatically when Town Hall change.
  • Size
    • (if to be built at the city): 3x3 or 4x3
  • Mechanics:
    • Option 1:
      • use similar design of Military buildings to have slots to train crew members.
      • Not sure if the each slot can be designed to train a different type of crew member: Captain, First Mate, Navigator, Gunner, Sailor, Cook, etc. If not possible use Option 2.
    • Option 2:
      • use similar mechanics of the AR Harbor or Ocean Terminal where the game provides a group of crew members to choose.
    • Training Costs: For ay option selected: Goods / Coins / supplies costs to train crew members and assign them to the next voyage.
  • Image:
    • Open to Developers, but must have some nautical details as decoration like Anchors, Rudder (Wheel), Compass, Flags, etc.