• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] Cultural Settlements

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser9410

After leaving my settlement today, my city hung up and I had a loading shield. But then suddenly a orca appeared in the grassland, swam for a second and disappeared. I love it so much, watched him at least 10 times before I refreshed my page :D

View attachment 3418
i had the same thing as well, but iv seen the orca swimming bottom left in my settlement village too.

Fairy Lily

Steward
So far the Orca is the most adorable little thing about the new feature!!!

The actual process of getting through the Vikings research, collecting coins, growing the village, is extremely tedious and slow. I am typically a fan of all new additions, but for once I agree this is too slow and I am already losing interest in it.

Praeceptor

Marquis
...Sorry somehow I've lost the joy after 2 days already.

I'm beginning to feel that way. I've got another 2 days of logging in every 4 hours before I can do the next quest. I bought all 4 diamond expansions thinking it would move things on a bit quicker, but it still feels like a drudge. Inno suggests you can finish this in 21 days without diamonds - really? - but when the 21 day limit shrinks it will be increasingly difficult and what's worse, even more tedious.

If this were fun, I'd be more than happy to accept that the rewards are so poor. I like rearranging my town as it grows, and the impediments are a real challenge, but my next redesign is days away - yawn!

When I eventually get the tree, I can't see me using it in my main city. It will just hang around in my inventory like lots of other unused buildings.

If this feature stays this way I won't be bothering to do it on live.

MagicMiam

Steward
I personally like the fact that this is a 'slow' feature. If it was possible to complete the settlement in a few hours what would be the point of the feature ?
The artwork is amazing :)
I have started my settlement and will try to complete it using 0 diamonds even if I could spend some here on beta, so I will see if it is possible to complete it in 21 days just by being an active free-to-play player :)

Also, I don't understand people saying that :
the rewards are so poor
Seriously ? 8 fp, 10 goods plus attack bonus for only 3x3 ? 2 fp, 1 good, + attack bonus for a 2x2 ? Come on, what do you need guys ? :D

Praeceptor

Marquis
Seriously ? 8 fp, 10 goods plus attack bonus for only 3x3 ? 2 fp, 1 good, + attack bonus for a 2x2 ? Come on, what do you need guys ? :D

The rewards are poor because of the amount of time you'd need to invest to get to the higher levels compared to other aspects of the game. It will be a very long time before you reach the stats you're talking about.

I agree that being slow paced is fine - that suits me too, but this isn't just slow, it's boring. There's very little variety in the gameplay, and getting to the point where you need to apply more interesting strategies like re-arranging your town takes days. My next 2 days is just collect, collect, collect. By the look of it most days will be like that. Not that interesting really.

Still, it has potential I think.

shadowwarrior

Merchant
IMO, they should reduce the difficulty of the quests. At current format - it will take about a year of dedicated play to get a lvl 9 Yggdrasil... does make it kind of useless...

Lionhead

Baronet
The rewards are poor because of the amount of time you'd need to invest to get to the higher levels compared to other aspects of the game. It will be a very long time before you reach the stats you're talking about.

And so what? Once you´ve got it, it has by far the best fp per square ratio of any building in the game. Add a well-levelled Blue Galaxy to that, it´s absolutely too powerful to be obtained in what would equal one of the larger events timewise. And what would you compare it too anyway in order to classify it as poor?
Playing without the use of Diamonds, you would have to spend a full year to get 2 ToI (2 anually events), which also provides 8 fp´s. They just occupy 4 times the space.

Praeceptor

Marquis
And so what? Once you´ve got it, it has by far the best fp per square ratio of any building in the game. Add a well-levelled Blue Galaxy to that, it´s absolutely too powerful to be obtained in what would equal one of the larger events timewise. And what would you compare it too anyway in order to classify it as poor?
Playing without the use of Diamonds, you would have to spend a full year to get 2 ToI (2 anually events), which also provides 8 fp´s. They just occupy 4 times the space.

It's poor in the sense of effort and time required to achieve it. In the same time I can level my GBs to give far more FPs for no extra space required. I'd rather spend the time and effort doing that efficiently - I don't have time for both; perhaps you do.

DeletedUser8071

So if you finish in 10 days, you have to wait 11-12 days to start again?

DeletedUser9548

This is a great business strategy to keep people interested in playing FoE, especially for the ones who have reached the Virtual World and may be getting bored. Usually when you reach the end of a game, you stop playing and go on to something else. Bringing other cultures into the game perks your interest to keep on playin'. I just hope those of us who have jobs can find the time to help the Vikings.

I wonder if the game devs came up with the idea of Cultural Settlements from what the game devs have created in Elvenar. You are visited by guest races In Elvenar and need to help bring back their culture to its former glory. In return, the different races help you gain some architectural wisdom to improve your buildings. But of course, FoE stays with the historical theme while Elvenar delves into a fantasy realm of witches, dwarves, fairies, goblins, disgusting Orcs, Sorcerers and their dragons, just to name a few.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
This is a great business strategy to keep people interested in playing FoE, especially for the ones who have reached the Virtual World and may be getting bored. Usually when you reach the end of a game, you stop playing and go on to something else. Bringing other cultures into the game perks your interest to keep on playin'. I just hope those of us who have jobs can find the time to help the Vikings.

I wonder if the game devs came up with the idea of Cultural Settlements from what the game devs have created in Elvenar. You are visited by guest races In Elvenar and need to help bring back their culture to its former glory. In return, the different races help you gain some architectural wisdom to improve your buildings. But of course, FoE stays with the historical theme while Elvenar delves into a fantasy realm of witches, dwarves, fairies, goblins, disgusting Orcs, Sorcerers and their dragons, just to name a few.

2 days in impression: Personally, as a VF player, this won't cure my boredom ;)

Possible reactions it might evoke:
1) grudgingly doing it because i'm still playing and it feels necessary (see: taverns)
2) ignoring it because it feels unnecessary (see: most events)
3) getting irritated enough to quit because it's necessary busywork but boring (unlikely - but i'd like to think it's an option :p)

To me it needs more strategic thought required to be interesting. Compared to building an actual city
- lack of variety of buildings to start to present tradeoffs in frequency of collection
- no choices in order you unlock things
- no system comparable to happiness. diplomacy takes its spot in the interface but isn't something you need all the time to design into layouts. rather it's something you need at the time you're going to unlock stuff.
- no balance between coins and supplies to manage. it uses the coins and supplies from your own city (already solved problem in a well developed city, unlimited supply effectively) to build buildings and only uses copper to make goods.
- no boosts or interaction with other players (trade/plunder)

and the only thing it adds to replace all these missing nuances:
- small little rocks you have to build around to influence your choice of expansions
- where do you spend diamonds most effectively if you're going to to speed it up. Really this has been the most interesting question to analyze. 115 diamonds to pay for 23 axes and get shrines immediately is pretty high on the list as it's the only real efficiency increase of all the buildings you unlock - the rest are just different sizes/timers - it also allows you to use your initial copper towards expansions rather than unlocking shrines - cuts off almost a full day by my figuring. 225 diamonds to pay for 45 axes to unlock mead brewery and get cheaper expansions sooner might be a tough call vs 500 diamonds to just get an extra expansion too though.

And if the most interesting question about a new feature is how best to spend premium currency, that's a pretty sad state of affairs!

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
i must bed missing something... After 3 days i am no further along than the first day, looks like a scam to spend diamonds. to advance you need maed.. How do you get the resources for mead??? im collecting every 4 hrs several time a day.. this ends in 20 days?? very slow and not intresting

It doesn't end in 21 days, your reward for completion decreases after 21 days. You have an unlimited amount of time to actually complete it (and get the first main reward. Over 15 completions you'll get the ygg tree + upgrades, emissaries). It's the side reward that decreases (number of fragments of a runestone you get).

No disagreement on slow though ;)

DeletedUser6484

It doesn't end in 21 days, your reward for completion decreases after 21 days. You have an unlimited amount of time to actually complete it (and get the first main reward. Over 15 completions you'll get the ygg tree + upgrades, emissaries). It's the side reward that decreases (number of fragments of a runestone you get).

No disagreement on slow though ;)

21 days is the amount of time that you must complete it to get the 6X bonus on Greater Runstone fragments reward.
21 days = 6X
23 days = 2X
27 days = 1X
I guess, longer than 27 days = 0 fragments but I think you can take as long as you need to complete the settlement.

Emberguard

Emperor
Just a thought, but allow players to use resources from their main city (such as Forge Points and Medals) to speed up this process. As it stands the pace of play is just painfully slow.

it's not any slower then the main game. Most event buildings take 24 hrs, most housing takes between 4-24 hrs, all goods production takes between 4-24 hrs. How is the settlement any different in that? It's simply at the start getting it going that makes it seem slow because there's no 5 minute hut to introduce it before slowing down. But given you'd have to advance almost to EMA to have access to the settlements they probably felt there was no need for a introduction.

That being said would have been interesting if they had balanced it for a fast paced gameplay even if it takes the same amount of time as it will now - or would require lots more missions that individually are completed faster. Just if they did I would wonder if it'd detract from the main game in some way given the main game is slow and meant to be played slow.

DeletedUser8406

Some not previously mentioned things (browser version)
- Button for abandon settlement is very close to the other buttons
- If I can go to settlement from main city throughr ship, there should be the same way back - clicking on ship on settlement
- Some kind of notification to settlement in main city. This should be e.g. flag on the ship.

One idea - in main city make separate place, which will be used only for buildings from settlements. This buildings will place here automatically aand cannot be deleted, like tavern. So every visitor of my city can see, how I stand in settlements.

Status
Not open for further replies.