• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] Cultural Settlements

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionhead

Baronet
So options:
1) you're easily amused by simplistic city building, and collection busywork - that's fair, to each their own. Enjoy!
2) you're motivated by impressively efficient rewards that take a lot of work - better get moving fast! you're on the clock to be done it 15 times before the next rewards show up for a new culture because you can't do both at once!
3) you're neither - settlements may as well not exist.
4) You´re motivated by impressively efficient rewards that takes a lot of work - but you´re not necessarily in a hurry, as you don´t intend stop playing FoE alltogether tomorrow. So if more than one CS is available to you, you might want to mix it up a little, by selecting Vikings twice in a row, then 2 times Egyptians, then one time X, then 3 times Y, then back to Vikings.......

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Right, I get that, but I'm not a competitive player. I don't give two snots where anyone else is in the game, either their regular city or their cultural settlements, in regards to myself. Their progress doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form. My progress doesn't affect yours, or anyone else's. So to me, how I progress in any facet of the game isn't anyone else's concern. :D Whether one player does a single cultural settlement and calls it a day, or completes the entire series for that culture, shouldn't be an issue to anyone else. I get that's only my opinion, and we all have different styles of play.

That much was clear. But just because you're not a competitive player doesn't mean there aren't any, or shouldn't be any.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
That much was clear. But just because you're not a competitive player doesn't mean there aren't any, or shouldn't be any.

I haven't said that in any of my posts, and I'm sorry that I gave you the impression that I feel that way, because I certainly don't. I did, in fact, say "I get that's only my opinion, and we all have different styles of play." It's perfectly fine that many players are competitive, because (again) every gamer has their own style and preference. But competitive players should not expect that every player is like them. [humor] It's like The Big Bang Theory...some of us are Leonard, some of us are Bernadette, and then there's Sheldon, who wants a world of people just like him. Or clones of him. Or robots. Sheldon shouldn't expect that is ever going to happen. Ever. [/humor]

:p

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I haven't said that in any of my posts, and I'm sorry that I gave you the impression that I feel that way, because I certainly don't. I did, in fact, say "I get that's only my opinion, and we all have different styles of play." It's perfectly fine that many players are competitive, because (again) every gamer has their own style and preference. But competitive players should not expect that every player is like them. [humor] It's like The Big Bang Theory...some of us are Leonard, some of us are Bernadette, and then there's Sheldon, who wants a world of people just like him. Or clones of him. Or robots. Sheldon shouldn't expect that is ever going to happen. Ever. [/humor]

:p

Competitive players shouldn't have every opinion of theirs be replied to 'but I don't care' either. I'm not trying to convince you that *you* have to go faster - merely that the time pressure is there for some. Personally I'm very likely to fall into the 'settlements may as well not exist' camp as they stand though. As nice as the building is, in the state of my current cities it's a relatively minor difference and logging in every 4 hours is exactly the kind of thing I avoid in having cut back my playtime drastically of late. On a new world I was going to care about I'd probably rush it because at that point in time the building makes the most relative difference.

I read on this thread someone mentions doing some battles for the Vikings to help them ... that would me vvery Cool ! And for those that prefer trading, give the choice to battle or to trade ...
Let's say something like this : a nice challenge (?) .. and IF the player succeed he / she get some extra nice reward
a) battle : a 4 wave battle, starting with 2 enemies, then 3, then 5 and at last 7. If you get through 1 wave give a small reward, going to 2 wave more, and so on! And you can not use diamonds to heal a units between 2 waves
b) trade (negotiation) : 4 negotiations, starting with 3 diff. goods (cult goods + copper coins ( perhaps also supplies and coins?)), then with 4, then 5 and at last 6, BUT here you get each time 3 turns and you can NOT buy 1 extra turn with diamond or via tavern!)

And IF the player succeed he / she get some extra nice reward OR ... another idea, just an "idea" :
if a player did not finish a Setttlement "in time" to get the best End Reward (6 fragments of Runestone), they can try to win this 4 wave battle or 4 wave negotiation as Quest 21 ...
That way they've a chance to win some extra fragments of the runestone, but it's a one way challenge, you get no second chance to do quest 21.
Probably this idea needs some more "fine-tuning" ... I'm not a programmer so do not know what is even possible or not ...
PS : Quest 21 Extra End Challenge appear for every player, but the reward is different !
For those that ended "in time" to get 6 fragment, they can win (for example) some "extra" fragment of a Shrine of Knowledge or something like that), all others can win a mix of both and those that miss the whole "time reward" get a chance to win between 1 and 4 fragments of runestone, depending on how far they get on quest 21 ;-)

Last edited:
Diamond expansions

Considering that we have to buy them again for every settlement, that makes a single expansion cost 7500 diamonds for the full 15 settlements required to finish Yggdrasil (500 diamonds bought 15 times). Way too much for me to consider doing it in live.

There has been some suggestions for making the diamond expansions remain when we restart the settlement. If this was the case I'd happily buy all the diamond expansions straight away and consider it a bargain at a one off payment of 2500 diamonds to have 5 extra expansions every time. Inno would probably make far less cash doing this than leaving things as they are so not likely to happen.

Possible alternatives - make the premium expansions permanent but at double the cost. I'd still be willing to buy the 5 expansions at a one off cost of 5000 diamonds, the question is would this be a good financial model for Inno or not. They're a business, they're here to make money so will go with the method that is likely to make the most for them.

Another possible alternative is still having to buy them each time you start the settlement, but at a lower cost. Perhaps a graded cost of 100 for the first, 200 for the 2nd, 300 for the 3rd etc. Again, the money question. Would the extra sales generated by being a lower cost be more or less than the reduction in income from those who would of bought the expansions anyway? Only Inno knows which is better for them, I can only speculate on that. I'd certainly be willing to buy at least one at these costs, possibly two.

DeletedUser7703

If anyone finds a better solution please share.

Space efficiency wasn't important to me. Time efficiency was what I aimed for, I had 2 clan house's already built, so build 50 clan totems. Once the diplomacy part of the quest is finished, tear down all the clan totems and build 6 axesmiths/beast hunters.

Logain Sedai

Baronet
Diamond expansions

Considering that we have to buy them again for every settlement, that makes a single expansion cost 7500 diamonds for the full 15 settlements required to finish Yggdrasil (500 diamonds bought 15 times). Way too much for me to consider doing it in live.

You don't HAVE to buy diamonds expansions. It is the player's choice for making the settlements easier / faster.

Space efficiency wasn't important to me. Time efficiency was what I aimed for, I had 2 clan house's already built, so build 50 clan totems. Once the diplomacy part of the quest is finished, tear down all the clan totems and build 6 axesmiths/beast hunters.
I thought the diplomacy part gets unaccredited if you dip below the required amount. I made the build around that assumption. Does it actually stay completed?
As for time vs space, buying more expansions than needed takes more time.

Diamond expansions

It's been said over and over that you should not buy the diamond expansions. It's not necessary. If you choose to do so out of impatience, at the very least don't buy more than 1.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Personally I've got significantly more expansions than that coming down the stretch (no diamond expansions - but bought the 15+27 wool expansions shortly after unlocking the good in order to have the space to sustain copper while running 5 goods buildings to the finish line). I expect I'll use clan totems instead of willows. Already running 2 clanhouses for population (+2 huts) - won't be a problem to add a 6th good as a quest objective (currently running 5) after scrapping shrines + huts.

My settlement (about 1 day's worth of wool and axes to unlocking everything) - essentially if i need to make 1200 culture while holding 6 goods buildings all the huts and shrines go poof and i can fit 1200ish culture worth of clan totems no problem
upload_2018-11-24_4-48-50.png

Only have 2.5 days left to milestone because I didn't do great at caring enough about collecting every 4 hrs (playing other games actually having fun being the main culprit). But I should have no problem making it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser7703

I thought the diplomacy part gets unaccredited if you dip below the required amount. I made the build around that assumption. Does it actually stay completed?

Once you have completed the diplomacy part, it stays ticked even if you dip below - this is what I did as I wanted to test to see if it would work for live.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
It's been said over and over that you should not buy the diamond expansions. It's not necessary. If you choose to do so out of impatience, at the very least don't buy more than 1.

It's interesting where they fit in terms of efficiency while diamond-rushing. I'm pretty sure diamonding shrines and mead off the line is most efficient. Can then run 2 mead breweries and the 3 cycles before you run out of copper produce 30 goods which can pay for 2 2 2 7 15 expansions putting you 3 expansions and a tech that would take another 2 days ahead of a cold start at the 12 hr mark for less diamond cost than a single expansion. I suspect since the next many techs don't do a whole hell of a lot for efficiency though that at that point if you wanted to spend more than 340 diamonds a run, 500 diamonds for a premium expansion might be a good next buy.

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
Settlement completed Thursday night. No diamonds spent.
4 times 4 hours a day, 5 times for 3 days. 11 expansions used.

much more time to think about building and making plans than "clicks". It's better than a 3-week event that requires useless quests.

Seeing stocks of resources would be good (see diplomacy is useless). Also a sound "ding ding ding" with the "X4" which is not very visible in the "bubbles".

"reconstruction" is totally useless: easy, fast and almost free to demolish and rebuild. (the roads are free)

FrejaSP

Viceroy
Diamond expansions and diamond used to unlock.

500 for an expansion is more than I will pay on live servers, special as I have more than one town and it will be to expensive for me.
What would I pay?
50 diamond for the first one, 100 for second, 200 for 3th maybe, not more than that
100 for each expansion, maybe I would buy 3, but not all 4

500 for a permenent expansion, that would stay for all 15 settles, maybe I would get a few, but not all 4
Could also make it a choice to buy a one settle expansion for 50-100 diamond or a permenent expansion for 500-1000 diamond

The price for diamond to unlock are fine as I decide when the price is worth to pay or I need to collect more goods or diplomacy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.