• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Aztecs

Kenric

Farmer
For those of you who have been able to start this settlement, how much time does the timer give you to complete it the first go through?

Oh god ! I was so excited to start the new settlement as I was so disappointed by the Egyptian one (personnal feeling, I do know some found it cool)... And I find out that Inno placed one impediment per expansion...again... WHY?!

For the same reason, Inno does pretty much everything: to push diamond sales.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Ok so I got out of my 1 day penalty box and in:

Initial reactions:
1) Ugh - needing to unlock the minigame like in Japan: You need to spend 225 diamonds on goods if you want to get the minigame immediately. 45 goods will probably take 1-2 days depending on x4 luck otherwise.

2) Minigame itself: It's fun. It does seem to feel a little lacking in turns - perhaps when you hit a good it could not consume a turn? In total I got 15 goods on my first day - so half of an unboosted goods building. It's going to feel worse in later rounds since it can't x4.

3) End of minigame: At the end result screen where you can choose to buy more turns or boost the goods it feels a little bad that they charge you 5 diamonds per good (i.e. if you find 8 goods and ask to double them they charge you 40 diamonds. if you find 3 they charge you 15). So basically it's the same as buying them to finish a tech. It does have the additional use that doubling goods from the minigame could get you expansions early which you normally can't spend diamonds to get the goods for. Overall mixed feelings on that - probably won't decide on beta since I'll only do the one run-through here likely.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
1 hour later with buildings now up and starting goods & beans productions:

Jeebus those bean costs vs beans supplied! Leaning more towards the 2 day estimate to get 45 goods to unlock the minigame without diamonds! I'm not going to call it impossible, but I'm predicting some people will!

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Bit of theorycrafting for no-diamond start (note to be *very* careful with your roads at the start):

1) (Optional) Quickstart with short-term 2 goods buildings:
1602199729430.png

5000 beans - 6 * 200 for roads = 3800 beans

Every 4 hours this produces 8*88 = 704 beans, and consumes 2*1000 = 2000 beans.

8 hours later on 4 hr collection you have 1208 beans left and 20 goods and can unlock shrines (whew).

2) 1 Goods Building + Shrines layout (if you skipped 1 because it bothers you to spend away all your start coins, this layout with huts in place of the shrines until you can build shrines is fine)

1602199898448.png

This costs you another road, so you're down to 1008 beans if you did layout 1 for 8 hrs (just enough to start another 4 hr).

This layout on 4 hr cycles produces 6 (connected huts) * 88 + 4 (shrines) * 283= 1660 beans, and consumes 1*1000 = 1000 beans. You will be stuck on 4 hr cycles for at least 8 more hours after 8 hours of the layout in 1. On 8 hr cycles it produces 6*88 + 4*424 = 2224 beans and consumes 1*2000 = 2000 beans. So you're now at least not losing beans.

The version of this with all huts instead as an alternate start produces 10 * 88 = 880 beans and consumes 1*1000 = 1000 beans. 12 hours in you'll be able to build shrines and will still have a decent number of beans stockpiled for when you can afford an expansion and thus will need to build more road (which probably should come after you unlock headdresses and the minigame).

donjuan

Farmer
The first shrine takes one hour to finish building in the other expeditions the timer is only one minute. Otherwise so far like it much better than the Egyptian expedition.

Owl II

Emperor
Today I understood I got lucky in the mini-game yesterday. Because today I get only 3 goods of 10. I don't see any way to complete this settlement for a gold reward. Thanks, thanks, thanks for letting the huts be motivated. Otherwise, my 2 goods buildings would be idle. I've only received two expansions so far. I have 5 sanctuaries, and I need 20 hours a day to produce beans for 2 goods buildings. Oh, we also have the ability to easily open buildings, buy expansions, or get goods in the mini-game. We just have to spend the diamonds. I personally have nothing against paying. But what should I pay for? For boring gameplay? For 5 FP on 4 cells? It's not funny. Picking beans every hour around the clock is not funny at all. I understand the devs desire to make this game generate more profit. But they use the wrong methods. Deers, calendars, exclusive portraits, 5 FPS on 4 cells - this is not a reason to spend cash. This is not a reason to spend even game diamonds. But! when I have few units at the start of a new age, tens of thousands of diamonds spent in the battle for the evening. And me not sorry! Because it's a fun. That's what we came here for. When there is a serious rival in GBG, 2 thousand or more are spent per day on instant construction. And it doesn't cause pity or annoyance. This is a fun. I understand it's impossible to make a new age every month like events. An example of an event in which it was easy to spend diamonds for a fun is the carnival of Venice, which many people do not like. But all other events are shopping. Shopping is doubtful entertainment. So come up something we spend all our game diamonds without pity or annoyance. Do something at least once a year to get us our card. Not this here - beans around the clock to do

Heinrich IV

Merchant
After first days playing the atztecs a short summaryze:
- The graphic is very nice
- The mini game is a good idea and makes fun.
- The bean production seems to be unballanced.

Some thoughts about bean production and place:
Unless you do a full time play with 5 minute productions you need 4 shrines for each goods building.
This requires 7 huts. So each good production requires 56 squares. ==> 25 good/day (in best case)
- Startup: 96 squares ==> 1 good production ==> >2 days for Quezal Aviary
- wait another day for 2 expansions or build Quezal Aviary to unlock market
- Phase 2: 128 squares ==> still not enough to have 2 good productions so we have to switch.
Finally all this requires lots of replacements of teh goods buildings reducing the fun a lot.
I think Players who don't like egypts won't like the atztecs. Startup is even more difficult and I expect it remains very slow as we have two extensions (32 squares) for each good but require 56 squres (without roads) for building the production.
I ecpected the market would help in goods production but it seems we will not have more than 15 goods per day from market (average).
So I expect very long running settlements for Atztecs. What I heared in de worlds this is exactly the opposite players like on settlements.

Owl II

Emperor
I think Players who don't like egypts won't like the atztecs.
The Egypts were the best settlement of all. They didn't require making beans every 5 minutes. Vikings became my nightmare at some point. But they were the first. Japan was simpler. Egypt has become the settlement I dreamed of. And finally the Aztecs... well, the main prize is good. So I will play them. But without fanaticism. The statue is optional.

CrashBoom

Legend
I think Players who don't like egypts won't like the atztecs.
I think all players won't like the atztecs :rolleyes:

road costs of 200 is ridiculous

Vikings became my nightmare at some point.
and this is even worse
it is basically the same but with
- road costs
- higher expansion costs
- and much longer: needs 1245 goods for tech (vikings only 938)

but good news
we have 2 days longer for fastest reward
and a few goods extra every day from the minigame

Last edited:

Migiwa

Merchant
For the same reason, Inno does pretty much everything: to push diamond sales.

Yeah, I understand that, but I think there are many more means to seem less greedy. The fact is, this settlement looks so much like a potential cash machin and it arrives a day after the most greedy event, it makes a lot of greed in 2 days...

There are too much things that repell me from playing this settlement : 1 impediment per expansion, the cost of roads when beans are the only currency, the cost of expansions in which I get only 14 squares instead of 16, the minigame is disappointing because you get almost nothing plus the fact that the multiplier doesn't apply and the shrines that take 1 hour to build.

I don't like this settlement, it needs to be, at least, a bit fair with the player. When a game is not fair with its player it generates frustration, but not good kind of frustration that makes you surpass yourself like in roguelite games, the kind of frustration that make me think : "Hey Inno, want those diams? Then shove it up your hat, I keep it for my premium expansions". (No offence)

Some thoughts on the mini game.
I saw the spoiler and was quite excited at the concept of a new game mechanic for the new settlement, so well done to the devs for coming up with it.
But on actually playing it I was disappointed.
I was hoping for the concept to be in line with the Japanese and Egyptian mini games, that is if you managed to do it you got the reward and if you failed you could either pay diamonds for extra turns to still get it in Japan or pay to heal your troops for the second wave in Egypt or miss out on that reward for that day.
What you have done here is take a game (minesweeper) which is about 90% skill and 10% luck and reversed those figures making it 90% luck and 10% skill.
FoE is advertised as a strategy game, it's supposed to appeal to players who like to have to think about what they're doing not just nearly random clicking. Why did you feel the need to dumb down the gameplay for this aspect of the settlement?
The mini game could be improved by making it more like the original minesweeper. Don't have players trying to find the goods, have us trying to clear the board without hitting any traps (use snakes as hazards to be avoided instead of mines to avoid copyright issues) and have a fixed amount of goods as the reward for success and make them subject to a possible multiplier.
For the easy game give players 3 lives, 2 for the medium game and 1 life for the hardest (I would of said none for the hardest but with the possibility of hitting a trap on the first click that would be a bit harsh)
Also why is there a dismiss option on the minigames? With the other two settlements you would lose goods or troops going for one that was too hard for you so the dismiss option made sense, here having a go costs you nothing so why have the option to dismiss at all.

As to the main part of the settlement.
I don't see the impediments as being a problem, we have them in every expansion for Egyptians which can be done in about half the allotted time so I don't really see them as a problem here either. They're a factor that means the more thought you put into it the more you get out of it, which is what I like in a strategy game.
Going back to using the same thing to build roads as produce goods (beans) as we had in Vikings seems a step back to me. On first impression that looks like we'll need to spend a lot of time on short production cycles to be efficient which is not something I want in what is a side aspect of the main game.
The graphics are great, roads are easy to see so an improvement there and I'm less likely to accidentally delete them now which I kept doing in Vikings and occasionally do in Egyptians.

You could even change the reward in the mini game to some other good which is used to produce the goods in the settlement in the same way as loot is used in Egyptians. Obviously this would mean making it accessible earlier and a re balancing of bean production would be needed.

Last edited:

estrid

Baronet
I finally got the mini-game open and I really like it. :) It's quite interesting to play as anti-minesweeper. Although the settlement seems quite tedious because of unbalanced money-beans, I'm ready to play this just for the mini-game. Didn't like egypt as much, because it is unnecessarily long.