• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Forge 12th Anniversary Event 2024

CDmark

Baronet
Finished it and gonna have to admit, that was the best time I have had in a while. And if you asked me how I did it, I couldn't tell you because I don't know. One thing I did, changed how I play the regular game, doing one color at a time, collecting keys, no. It was a blend especially to get the "ALL" quests done. I didn't collect right away. The last leg, tonight, took 90 - 120 min but it was fun, a puzzle. Now, I will say, I did get a good amount of locked Fire (red) and even spawned them. For sure that was important.
Mooingcat, that trading board was DEFINITELY A HUGE HELP. I couldn't even tell you what I won because I actually don't care. I got stuck on the 20 board, had to have cleared it 10 times. I have the same amount energy I should have.

While I was playing, getting close, I thought of the best part. Usually, I do write ups for the guild, give tips, this is one reason why I am in beta.
So here it is, the write up for my guild...

YOU
ARE
ON
YOUR
OWN

Good Luck!!!

There is no way to explain how to play it. NOW, that Prismatic Essence was a mind twister. At first, when I saw it, I thought Inno was trying to sell me some cologne called "Prismatic Essence" which comes in a rock shaped bottle. I wasn't sure how to use it but I saw what it did in Mooingcats video so I then understood, ALL gems of one color, both locked and unlocked, will turn colorless and can be applied to any color or to itself. The locked ones, I had to really think about it after I did it. When I did it, I had a good plan but when it applied, the game looked like a South Africa Diamond Mine, plan was out the window.

Last edited:
Does Inno need a feedback on this version of Rival or should we wait until we see the live version? /s

Beta 1st version: too difficult. Balanced for heavy diamond spender (this is not specific for the one in this event, it's general). In this case at least the reward are worth it.

Beta 2nd version: much easier, almost reasonable. If feedback on forum says that reward first version are not worth it, this verison has decent reward (again not specific to this iteration of Rival). In this case reward are fair so no change here.

live version: more difficult (since too many dedicated beta player managed to complete it).
live version (2nd iteration): slightly less difficult, but only minor changes.

Last edited:
I did 7-9 boards this morning by clearing lots of boards and finished 32/32 which really surprised me. I even have 1 prisma boost and 1630 energy left. Too bad that I don't have an orrery here in beta. I hope that I can get kits from a change.

New bug reported just now,

In mobile app, spawned free gem cannot get selected to make progress in the event board.

Perfect timing for this issue at the time of rival challenge appear. This issue makes me feel like someone mocking at me.
I had the same bug today again. To me it seems to occur every two to three days and even force shutting the app doesn't work. Often it helps to reinstall the app which is easy in Beta because I have the install file on my phone. On live this will lead to disaster in the forums, especially if it happens during rivals.

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
Hey everyone! We noticed a lot less of you played the second rival challenge (compared to first one). For those of you who didn't, could you please provide more feedback on why you did not play it? That would help us a lot evaluating and improving it. Thank you!

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
For me the first rival went poorly, I made it 1/2 the way, used most of my helper gems. They did make the board less of a puzzle. In fact no puzzle at all. 2nd rival I had none left and did not want to waste my time.
I think this is a pattern for rivals on beta for the last couple events. It's what happened to me in st pat's. Tried out rival the first time to see what was in it. Got fed up and lost all interest in it. Didn't even look at the changes for the 2nd.

Anniversary I personally had success with the first one, so happily went into the 2nd and finished it quickly thinking "that's it, i'm done already?". But given how widespread the frustration with the first one seemed to be on the forums (I might've been the only person to speak positively of it), I'm not surprised there was substantially less buy-in for the 2nd.

Might need clearer communication that changes are extremely significant if you want people who didn't finish the first rival to show up to try the second rival.

Thunderdome

Emperor
Hey everyone! We noticed a lot less of you played the second rival challenge (compared to first one). For those of you who didn't, could you please provide more feedback on why you did not play it? That would help us a lot evaluating and improving it. Thank you!
I only went half-way with the first one before I figured to get it all the way through would cost diamonds and ultimately some money. So when the second one came up, I just give it "the bird". Sorry, but I had to be honest there.

CrashBoom

Legend
too much luck based and not much control of the player
player can only collect what is on the board

for example: a quests required 2 more of a specific gem to unlock and the next board then only had one
so it was just: play the event normally and collect rewards if the green checkmark appears

St. Patrick rival was no luck. just decissions: buy the 4/8h skips at the end or not

It was really difficult to see that something was changed in Rival on the second time.
At the start 3 out of 4 task where EXACTLY THE SAME as the first time. The only change was in one of the number (from 9 to 8 keys) in the last quest. Last in the order they appear when scrolling. It was very easy to miss.

Inno need beter communication. You must announce that Rival was changed if you want player to pay attention. Current live envent also didn't see any announcement.

Any announcement done on discord is bs. It's inside a walled garden (=account+login required).
It should be announced ingame.

Second best option forum.
Bad options: kowledge base (no update alert) & discord.

Rival should have a timer, like when event start. On beta it start at a random time. Sometimes with GE, sometimes at the time of the day an event start, sometimes later. In live it's more consistent.

You are testing Rival in beta AT THE SAME TIME that rival is on live.Player will prioritize live obviously.

Personally this event has very little to ofer to an enstablished city, once I reached 5000 advancement on grand prizes. It's still a good event for newer cities, but not so much for old one.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Too much wrenches in the run. Like others mentioned. Quests requiring to "free" a specific colour of a specific level X number of times. That really killed the run for me. If it was like: free X crystals of Y level, collect X keys from Y level merged crystals. It would make it better.
Compared to STD's rival, which is my favourite up to this point, finish X tasks. Promote X and Y manager to lvl Z. With a few GE, fp and (guild) goods quests. Alongside the quests asking to use any time skip. Both promotion quests and most time skip quests could done with boosters given by the rival. Making it a more balanced an fun experience. He's also been so far the most fair of them all and gave imho the best rewards. At least to me a 2nd platinum upgrade is worth it. That been said he still costs diamonds to complete but an amount one could muster up if anticipated a few months prior to the event.

wwwoodchuck

Merchant
I did not see it as worth trying to complete any of the Rival quests. The Rival Quests were simply a progression of unchanging tasks that did not include any kind of user strategy to complete. From my viewpoint, there was no way I could have any influence over completing them or not. No matter how hard I were to try, it would be up to “luck” to get all the required pieces. ‘Luck” or being Lucky is not a strategy I prefer use so had no desire to play Rival.

It was a very unimaginative and lackluster string of tasks. It appeared as if there was no effort on the part of the Company to even try to make them stimulating. There was zero interest on the part of the game to engage players with a fun, rewarding, exciting experience. From a multi-year player who has been doing Event quests/tasks for as many years they were a disaster. It appears as if the task of creating the Rival tasks/quests was passed on to someone who had no familiarity with Forge of Empires game dynamics – At all.

I read the first few texts from the Baron and felt very insulted. It gave me zero incentive to read more or even continue with the game giving me “attitude”. There was simply no call for that kind of crude interaction. As with the tasks themselves, it would appear someone who is not remotely familiar with Forge of Empires game etiquette was assigned the task of writing them.

Yes, I could have some influence using the items to split or spawn, but I could not influence what spawned. If I needed one, level 1 Red, I could spawn 100 shards and not get a level 1 Red. And Yes again, I could switch one to white or split a level 2! Yet I do not have an abundance of those items unless I complete more Rivals. A catch 22 situation.

What influenced me the most to not even try, were the quests themselves. I saw on the first Rival that the quests were simply a progression of tasks: One green, two green, three green, four green… To me, that is boring, uninteresting and to make it to the final round of however many tasks, was just not worth my time to even attempt.

I chose to ignore Rival and many times did not even realize when a Rival Task had completed and the green check mark appeared.

This second Rival was a lot better than the first one but it got very difficult very fast. I reached the Celestial Stage of Ages kit (which was my goal) but by then the tasks were so burdensome that I had to give up hope to get any further. Generally I'm happy with the upgrades and kits that it offered me so I'm not complaining. It surprises me to see that fewer players played it compared to the first Rival.

for me, the event is boring and while starting to do the first rival I noticed that it did nothing to ease that boredom - so I didn't even start the second (just collected quests rewards that were accidentally fullfilled). Nothing I will do on live servers (with a potential exception of not having anything better to in RL - which is not very probable ;)

Emberguard

Emperor

I just don't like the premise Rival has of cramming in significant portions of 20-30 day events into 48 hrs. It defeats any point of the Event lasting 20-30 days if our success or failure is determined so heavily by our ability to be present for 48 hrs (x2-3) on a specific day

EDIT: If the Rival was visible through the entire Event with a button to activate it any time during the Event, and a indicator somewhere of how many times we need to do the Rival, that would be more palpable as then we can fit it in when we're available to do it without it conflicting with things outside the game

Last edited:
I only got a couple tasks done because it focused on only doing one tier of colors at a time, but when I play the event I mentally match up the best combination for the least amount of moves. So it didn't track any of the level 3 or 4 keys I collected because the task asked to unlock only level 1's.

It would have literally taken some people say 20 boards to do the rival, yet we only get one free reset per day and unlocking all blocks would be an impossible cost for 20 boards? This rival tasks weren't a good match with this minigame type. Toss in one of the rival lines to do GE and I will do that.

The rival is a rude hole and I hate his rude behind constantly insulting me.

Its only 2 days WHY?? This makes the amount of boards required even more absurd.

The rival on beta is on the same day as the rival on the event on live. Obviously I'm going to do the one on live, and the st paddies rival was substantially easier.