• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

DeletedUser10017

I left one thing out..the bathhouse doesn’t feel all that emblematic of Egypt like the main prizes for Vikings or Japanwere....I really think you should move the bathhouse to an event and give something as highly thematic as Yggdrasil or the Shinto temple for Egypt like a sphinx or pyramid. With such a rich history I don’t think a bathhouse is what will come to a persons mind for Egypt

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I don't get the comments that it takes a lot of attention at all. Most of the day is just waiting like the other settlements. And 3 manual fights a day is hardly a massive time sink.

Is it slow? Yes, for sure - and I don't think the rewards are commensurate with the time increase to complete. But the time/day is no higher for sure than Japan with its 3 negotiations a day.

The Lady Ann

Baronet
I left one thing out..the bathhouse doesn’t feel all that emblematic of Egypt like the main prizes for Vikings or Japanwere....I really think you should move the bathhouse to an event and give something as highly thematic as Yggdrasil or the Shinto temple for Egypt like a sphinx or pyramid. With such a rich history I don’t think a bathhouse is what will come to a persons mind for Egypt

would love a sphinx :))))

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
the difference is not about time but about progressing at all: japanese settlement could be solved without negotiation, egyptian cannot without fighting ...

Japan would be even more miserable without negotiating - like a much much worse vikings since expansions are more expensive - who seriously does that? And by comparison you could *eventually* finish Egypt by just doing the easy fight - which would be crazy fast in terms of time per day - and crazy slow in time to finish the settlement (like doing Japan without the Merchant).

coolyfooly

Squire
Thanks for all the comments so far!

I simply wanted to reply to the perceived difficulty of Egypt and the frustration some of you might feel:
First off, Egypt was supposed to be the most difficult settlement as a playground for those who seek a tough challenge. In Ancient Egypt you will have to use your resources even more carefully, use your impediment removals wisely (or "puzzle" your buildings effectively around the given grid) and fight battles in a way that your losses are kept low.

Feudal Japan has been introduced as a Cultural Settlement with less effort and for everyone who enjoys negotiations while Ancient Egypt is meant to be a counter part to this, making battles mandatory to complete the settlement. Especially since battles have been requested a lot since the very beginning of the Cultural Settlements feature.

Please rest assured that we internally playtested Ancient Egypt several times to make sure that it is possible to beat it with a similar daily investment of time / activity as Vikings or Japan.

Extra Hint: You are not required to try to beat all three battles from the beginning on. I recommend to do the easy + medium battles once you got the War Chariots, and go for all three battles once you got the Elephants.

The so called hard mecanics all it does it makes the settlement last longer and more frustrating then it should. With all the impediments and little amount of pickaxe for thoes who do not spend diamonds it just becomes a limitation on how much buildings you can build thus slowing you down. War Elephants will take about 20 days to unlock(based on speed i going), so 20 days to start doing 3 fights with elephants?

Migiwa

Merchant
well I hate the negotiation in Japan..................................but I deal with it, I don't whine on because it doesn't suit my style of play, so I say to you and others of your ilk deal with it, as I have in your preferred style of play
I guess you missed a major point : negociations are not mandatory in Feudal Japan while fights are in Ancient Egypt...

Japan would be even more miserable without negotiating - like a much much worse vikings since expansions are more expensive - who seriously does that? And by comparison you could *eventually* finish Egypt by just doing the easy fight - which would be crazy fast in terms of time per day - and crazy slow in time to finish the settlement (like doing Japan without the Merchant).

I said it's __impossible without__ fighting .. that's different from doing the so-called easy fighting ..

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I said it's __impossible without__ fighting .. that's different from doing the so-called easy fighting ..

So then either decide the reward is worth you being a little miserable if you hate that side of the game.

Or decide it isn't. I hate myself for completing the previous two settlements - but I felt the reward was too good not to.

I'm cautiously optimistic I might actually enjoy this one. Sadly the reward is the least interesting of the 3 to me (possibly so that people can feel it's not mandatory like the first two slogs were)

Nessie

Baronet
Why does InnoGames lately gives us things like Egypt settlement / St.Patrick Day that annoys the majority of players?

The answer is easy: InnoGames wants to FORCE us to use diamonds.

I gave likes for posts that I can't find anymore

InnoGames surely hates legitimate criticism !!!!

(better I copy my post for the guild before reads and delete it LOL)

MOD NOTE - Please first check if the posts were moved to the new feedback post

Last edited by a moderator:
So then either decide the reward is worth you being a little miserable if you hate that side of the game.
Or decide it isn't.

repeating: that's not the point - until now it was _possible_ to make progress when sticking to one of two major strategies (fight or trade), however miserable, slow or at whatever additonal costs .. now it's _impossible_. That's an enormous change in the gameplay. And not to the better, IMO, quite to the contrary. If you can't or don't want to see the difference .. well ..

DeletedUser10057

maybe BUG
in quest 10 it asks one of diplomacy or gather 30 pottery
i think that one of diplomacy must be bug

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
repeating: that's not the point - until now it was _possible_ to make progress when sticking to one of two major strategies (fight or trade), however miserable, slow or at whatever additonal costs .. now it's _impossible_. That's an enormous change in the gameplay. And not to the better, IMO, quite to the contrary. If you can't or don't want to see the difference .. well ..

Where was the fight strategy in either of the two previous settlements? No they didn't involve your own goods other than the Japan merchant but they were pretty much just running a dumbed down 'goods only' minicity. And similarly Egypt doesn't involve your own troops or fight infrastructure.

Where's the negotiation strategy in GvG? Where's a fight strategy to fill the treasury?

They've never been equal options capable of everything. If you restrict yourself to one or the other some aspects will be easier/harder. And other aspects will be outright cutoff from you. And yes that's a good thing. Decisions should matter.

DeletedUser

Sooo. Why do you Inno people think those who do fighting must love it? Some of us don't. We do not fight manually, we gather attack bonus NOT TO fight manually, as a matter of fact... It's because it's cheaper, easier and quicker than to gather tons of goods, you know? No, you don't, because you do not play your own game.

I hate settlements from the start. I ignore them. Yet I tried them to be fair. Egypt sucks, fighting without bonus sucks more than negotating without fourth round.

Bathtub? Jeeez. From all the egyptian monuments you choose BATHTUB? It's like you choose kebab for most representative German dish.

Nessie

Baronet
Sooo. Why do you Inno people think those who do fighting must love it? Some of us don't. We do not fight manually, we gather attack bonus NOT TO fight manually, as a matter of fact... It's because it's cheaper, easier and quicker than to gather tons of goods, you know? No, you don't, because you do not play your own game.

I hate settlements from the start. I ignore them. Yet I tried them to be fair. Egypt sucks, fighting without bonus sucks more than negotating without fourth round.

Bathtub? Jeeez. From all the egyptian monuments you choose BATHTUB? It's like you choose kebab for most representative German dish.

very true @FinkAdele

doughster

Merchant
Definitely a Sphinx... we already have a pyramid, namely the Temple of Relics. :)

UBERhelp1

Viceroy
To those who know a little more about Ancient Egypt, bathhouses were actually important. In Egypt, cleanliness was important and most people bathed daily (a crazy stat for those times). Therefore, the bathhouse represents an important part of daily life for Egyptians. Sure, it's not as well known as pyramids or the sphinx, but it is still Egyptian.

DeletedUser5097

Tbh you are not forced to do settlements and from an non fighting standpoint the main
reward of Egypt won’t be interesting at all. At least in my opinion, because it doesn’t give
an sufficient amount of goods even stronger not even 1 good for your own stock. So why
would you even bother to complete the Egyptian settlement if your not into fighting
anyways.
So repeat as been said before: is the (main) reward really worth it for a passive play style?
Personally if I where playing passive I would
get my units from main building or completing
GE through negotiation. Rather going through the difficulty of completing the hardest and
military orientated settlement. It’s just my opinion of course but to me that wouldn’t make
any sense especially complaining about the game design. In fact it would make more sense to complain about GvG that you must fight for progress

You probably started playing after GBs where introduced.xd Anyways it would be impossible
to make the challenge of fights in settlements equally for everyone if bonuses where involved.
Also there are enough fighters out there who
increase their offensive bonuses for GE4, and
getting through such fights manually fighting is
often necessary for success.
I believe they do play FoE because the fights
are achievable and tbh manually medium is
pretty easy compared to many other fights. Hard is rather more on the lvl of GE3, IMO.

DeletedUser10017

To those who know a little more about Ancient Egypt, bathhouses were actually important. In Egypt, cleanliness was important and most people bathed daily (a crazy stat for those times). Therefore, the bathhouse represents an important part of daily life for Egyptians. Sure, it's not as well known as pyramids or the sphinx, but it is still Egyptian.
So I completely understand they had bathhouses, but in no sense was it iconic...I think most random people would associate baths to Roman or Turkish first....and egypt far down the list of associations. It is far less connected than yggdrasil to vikings or a shinto temple to feudal japan. Being that it’s still beta I bring it up as I think they should keep settlements to those really iconic features of a civilization