• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Feudal Japan

FrejaSP

Viceroy
I love the merchant. Yes it will use some goods from my maintown but I believe I can afford that. I can always skip N4 i GE in peaceful weeks.
I look forward to see if I can run this village in 24 hours drift without running low in coins and make it in time for at least some fragments.
Still my first day with the merchant, but I can see I chould accept all 3 offers a day and then chose the goods building in the village that will help cover the goods I'm low in.
Except for the very slow start, it looks good. Maybe I should have waited bying the second expansion until I got access to the merchant.

DeletedUser9121

I still cannot move a building or build a new one on the new expansion happens in firefox and crom

FrejaSP

Viceroy
Settlements otoh have felt like a grind since the very first time I started one. They are SO dumbed down and tedious - by the time I'm doing my 15th run of vikings, they've moved me to the point where I may finally quit this game :p Especially with another 13 runs of the same exact crap that I know I'll keep doing if I don't quit because the reward is amazing. I'd really hoped (though should've known better) that the 2nd settlement would provide more depth. Wish me luck in my escape!
I too feel the Vikings was messing up my RL, I really don't want to be forced to get on my computer before I drive to work and again as the first thing when I get home. I rather use 4 hours in row in the evening and get a RL the rest of the day.
The Merchant is great because you only need to visit him once a day. If I now can success making my coins and goods produktion run 24 hours drift without loosing all the fragments, I and my family will be very happy as it will remove a lot of stress. We do still have lots of events messing up our day, so for many, the settlement was just to much and they choose to give up trying.

FrejaSP

Viceroy
Secondly, please remove the timer for the fragments completely. For people who are sensitive to game addiction, timers with rewards are a major danger. I have written about this in the Viking thread and I hope Inno will value the health of their players enough to get rid of this feature, or make it have less important by making it easier to finish the settlements within the main timer.
I feel it is fine with the timers, just increase the time between them a little or remove the last timer so people always will get at least 2 fragments.
I do like, that there is more rewards to the ones who play each day. The problem I have with the timers are, it is not enough to play each day and use all your skills to build the settlements, you still risk to end up with zero fragments, special in settlement #10+ and that is not ok. It's ok only to make it in first time a few times if you play each day, make it in second time most times and a few times only make it in last time.
I believe more people would use a few diamonds, if they feeled they had a fair chance. Yes maybe the "win on any cost" players would use a little less, but in the end it could very be belanced of the one who use a little diamonds instead of just given up the settlement.

Last edited:

Amdira

Baronet
I really like this settlement ♥ the merchant is very helpful and the coins/production balance seems much better than in vikings.

The Lady Ann

Baronet
I would like to second the idea that you get runestone fragments regardless of how long you take to finish but I would make it 1 fragment so f you do run through 15 settlements in however long you still get 1 lvl 1 runestone and those nuts like me who play alot hitting gold most of the time get extra the way it is now

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
I do not like merchants at all, my second visit is worse than the first.
A strategy game does not have to work with luck.
I found that merchants can offer the same resource.
I've had:
1) soy + painting + armor
2) 2 times soy + 1 time paintings so 0 armor and 0 instrument

I have 2 expansion to 8 armor or 8 instruments and I can not take them.

A player who has had several instruments has taken a big lead, just by chance.

Randomness is far too important in this game.

I liked the Vikings because the result depends on my thinking, not my luck.

Damjan88

Merchant
Vikings depended on luck also, a bonus on the first 8h productions would save a whole day at the beginning. Same here, i think i saw a post on someone getting a x4 bonus on instruments and getting 6 or 7 expansions :D

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
visual bug: highlight of Gassho-zukuri Hut is off
upload_2019-6-21_13-13-38.png

EDIT: after reload, that was fixed but, but now the highlight is shifted up a little on one of the huts - the other huts look fine

upload_2019-6-21_13-54-31.png

also the halos of the impediments do not look quite right sometimes

------------------

not a bug, but the highlight of the merchant looks out of place - would it be possible to put the highlight only behind the wagon?
upload_2019-6-21_13-14-45.png

Last edited:

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
Vikings depended on luck also, a bonus on the first 8h productions would save a whole day at the beginning. Same here, i think i saw a post on someone getting a x4 bonus on instruments and getting 6 or 7 expansions :D
At the beginning of the vikings we can have 4 x 10 axes, never 4 x 10 wool.
It's a huge difference

Damjan88

Merchant
At the beginning of the vikings we can have 4 x 10 axes, never 4 x 10 wool.
It's a huge difference

Yes, but times x4 on the first production in the viking is by far the most powerful one you can get. It shaves a whole day wich is quite a lot, especially in the later runs. There is absolutely no strategy that could get you through the entire viking settlment in less than 8 days without bonuses :D And the more goods buildings you have the smaller the imact is on completing it sooner. So you need strategy, planing and luck, which is the same deal here. The merchant is pumping out 30-40 goods every day, with no need for coins, population, space and minimal time investion to get it. Sure sometimes it will offer thing you dont necessarily need at that point but sometimes it will be stuff you desperately do :D

Azlin

Farmer
So far, it doesn't look like there's much difference, compared to the vikings. You've slightly shortened both the time for a single settlement, as well as the number of settlements needed to get the main reward. While I appreciate this, the core problems of a tedious and time-consuming game mechanic remain unchanged.

The only real change is the merchant, and the corresponding increase in cost for expansions. I like the idea of investing main city resources to speed up the process. However, it greatly increases the depency on luck (which was already to high, in my opinion). Losing 60% of your potential fragments because of a streak of bad luck is extremely and needlessly frustrating. Please consider increasing the number of time limits to five, and decrease the drop in fragments per crossed time limit to three. This would be much less punishing.

Also, it seems you want space to be a bigger factor in this culture, which fits the japanese. But please move the starting area one expansion to the southwest. This would give us more options where to expand to.

The amount of FP given by the Shinto Temple is great. The other bonuses are nice, but nothing to be excited about. The Timeless Dojo is a good building, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. Since almost everyone has an Alcatraz, the unit it gives appears to be only really useful directly after advancing to the next age, and it needs an One Up Kit for that. I don't want the Dojo to be buffed. I want the hassle to be considerably decreased.

Which leads me to the core problem: settlements are a drudgery. They're only done for the reward. I wish I didn't feel the need to write this, but doing something just for a reward is working, not playing.

First: the time limit creates pressure. I don't expect you to remove it, since it's probably the main reason someone would spend diamonds on a settlement. But as written above, you could decrease the punishment for missing it.

Second: the dependency on luck creates frustration. This ties in with the first point. If there were no time limit, you'd expect good luck and bad luck to roughly counterbalance each other over the course of 13 settlements. But if the timer runs out, just because of a streak of bad luck, that's pretty upsetting. To decrease the chance of that happening, please decrease the multiplier of the goods bonus to 2, and increase its chance of happening, so that the expected value remains the same. As for the merchant, you could pre-set the frist six offers, so they're the same for everyone. Or restrain the possible offers to goods the player can already produce.

Third: diplomacy is broken. Razing half your settlement to place diplomacy buildings, just to raze them again immediatly after unlocking the next building is boring, cumbersome, annoying, and it makes absolutly no sense storywise. You decreased the amount of diplomacy needed, but the concept remains the same. Please give us a means to permanently earn diplomacy, e.g. by fighting or negotiating. Better yet, implement some minigame, unique for each settlement. You don't have to invent something new, just take one of the many existing logic puzzles and slap some visuals on them. For the Japanese, I recommend hashiwokakero.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashiwokakero

Fourth: playing by the clock is garbage. This is the greatest issue for me. If you consider anything in this post, I hope it's this. In my main city, I completed all 15 viking settlements within the gold time limit. In hindsight, I wish I had not. Logging in every hour to collect coins is atrocious. It's consuming attention and it barely fits with real life. I should not feel the need to form my life around a game. And life rarely fits intervals of 1 or 4 or 8 hours.
Simple suggestion: rebalance coin production, so 8 1h productions give only a little more coins than 1 8h production.
Somewhat simple suggestion: scrap pre-selected production time. Instead, have buildings produce coins every 5 minutes, which accumulate until they're collected. If for whatever reason you want to encourage frequent harvesting, you can decrease the additional coins ofer time. For example, the first tick would give 50 coins, second and third tick would give 47 each, for an accumulated amount of 144 coins after 15 minutes. The next 3 ticks would give 44 coins each, and so on. Upon harvest, the amount of coins per ticks gets reset. This way I don't need to watch my clock and instead collect once I have a free moments, whether it's every 45 minutes or 2 hours.
Complex solution: scrap production times altogether. Give us a set number of actions per day, that we can use when we see fit. The time needed to complete a settlement would depend on how clever we use those actions. Once every day, the number of available actions gets reset. I know, it's too late to get a change this big into the japanese, but please consider this for upcoming cultures.

I'm not sure whether I'll play the japanese if they hit the live servers without significant change. I'm absolutely sure, I won't try to beat the timer this time.

vanguard1

Farmer
What I don't like is that keeping the decorations in your settlement doesn't give you any benefit. I build them to reach the required diplomacy and I delete them immediately after unlocking the next embassy advancement.

My suggestion is to give them a small bonus to koban coin production in addition to diplomacy:
Toro: increases your koban coin production by 1%
Torii Gate: increases your koban coin production by 3%
Zen Garden: increases your koban coin production by 7%

The bonus should be small enough so that you don't start replacing your shrines with decorations.
I often have some free squares where I can't build another building. I could build some decorations there but currently there is no reason to do so.

DeletedUser8362

25% supplies on the main reward ??... I didn't even notice, when I glanced I just assumed it was attack bonus.

Whose idea was that as an incentive ?

DeletedUser10017

25% supplies on the main reward ??... I didn't even notice, when I glanced I just assumed it was attack bonus.

Whose idea was that as an incentive ?

As they said earlier thread they have incentives for different types of players....this is one that works for me as I use CF and RQs as my engine for fp and goods. Due to the amount of clicking many don’t like this but it works well as a fidget thing on my longer teleconferences and I make coins faster than supplies so this boost directly supports the style I’m playing and will result in more fp and goods for me. Due to the high goods and high fp I think this building will be sought out from many that don’t care about supply as well

DeletedUser8887

The viking settlement got to be such an awful drudge that I have no desire to start another cultural settlement.

WykkenFenn

Viceroy
Better yet, implement some minigame, unique for each settlement. You don't have to invent something new, just take one of the many existing logic puzzles and slap some visuals on them. For the Japanese, I recommend hashiwokakero.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashiwokakero

Oh, Gods, I don't need this. It's enough for me to achieve the time goal I set for myself. Additional things like this would just put me off the settlements all together.

DeletedUser7959

playing by the clock is garbage. This is the greatest issue for me
I don't understand players who write this. Who forces you to play by the clock? Answer - it's you. The time reward is an additional reward for those who feel like they can do more in the game (you can call them as you want it doesn't change the result). The main prize which is Shinto Temple (for Japanese settlement) doesn't have time limits, you can play and still have "a real life" and get your prize afterward.
P.S. I have only one lvl5 Runestone from Vikings, never felt bothered to get the gold reward every time. Am I sad because I don't have 100500 runestones in my city? Definitely not, LOL

Last edited by a moderator: