• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback [Feedback] - HTML5 on Beta

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser7779

HTML5 version not working properly on Chrome on mobile (city is black, only roads are displayed). But Carnival Event works :D

DeletedUser16

Sorry, but the HTML5 version is (being) optimized for desktop devices :). Mobile optimization is not on the TODO list at this time.
Users of the two largest mobile systems - Android and iOS - are provided with apps that we constantly work on :).

DeletedUser7779

Sorry, but the HTML5 version is (being) optimized for desktop devices :). Mobile optimization is not on the TODO list at this time.
Users of the two largest mobile systems - Android and iOS - are provided with apps that we constantly work on :).
Yeah, i thought so ...was just hoping it'd work on mobile too ;)
Question: when this is released live, will you keep both flash and HTML5 versions?
I know lots of people (including me), who now login to game on Puffin on Mobile to do GvG. If HTML5 is not optimized for mobile browsers and flash version is removed, then that will no longer be possible.

DeletedUser

html5 is a replacement:
so no they won't keep flash

maybe at the beginning both are there
but when html5 is good enough the flash version will be removed

DeletedUser16

Keeping two versions simultaneously running on live over a longer period of time is not planned. This is because this would essentially mean maintaining two engines at the same time, which would potentially slow things down a lot development-wise, and make the whole game development process more error-prone.
It is also to be expected that major browsers will stop supporting Flash completely even before the end 2020, and it won't be possible to use it anyway. At least not without some 'hacky' solutions.

Keeping two versions simultaneously running on live over a longer period of time is not planned. This is because this would essentially mean maintaining two engines at the same time, which would potentially slow things down a lot development-wise, and make the whole game development process more error-prone.
It is also to be expected that major browsers will stop supporting Flash completely even before the end 2020, and it won't be possible to use it anyway. At least not without some 'hacky' solutions.

well, can you at least make sure you add gvg to the mobile app versions before dropping the flash version? ;)

DeletedUser8059

Cant find the setting in opera to disable flash :(
Also since I play on 3 other worlds besides beta will opera still work without flash in those worlds?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Cant find the setting in opera to disable flash :(
Also since I play on 3 other worlds besides beta will opera still work without flash in those worlds?

You don't need to disable Flash. Just activate HTML5 in the ingame settings menu on Beta.

qaccy

Emperor
well, can you at least make sure you add gvg to the mobile app versions before dropping the flash version? ;)

Adding GvG to mobile doesn't really have much (or anything?) to do with the game converting over from Flash to HTML5, I don't think.

If you're referring to what I assume is poor(er) GvG performance in HTML5, keep in mind that this is going to be in open development on beta for probably several months if not longer. Any performance issues that currently exist will be gone, or at least no worse than current functionality of the Flash version, by the time it's ready to be pushed out to the live servers.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Adding GvG to mobile doesn't really have much (or anything?) to do with the game converting over from Flash to HTML5, I don't think.

If you're referring to what I assume is poor(er) GvG performance in HTML5, keep in mind that this is going to be in open development on beta for probably several months if not longer. Any performance issues that currently exist will be gone, or at least no worse than current functionality of the Flash version, by the time it's ready to be pushed out to the live servers.

Currently using Puffin browser on mobile you can use the desktop Flash version on mobile and do some amount of GvG (performance tends to be much worse than desktop - but it's better than nothing for GvG addicts - and even better than some low end PCs). Their concern is if this is going to be taken away, wanting it available in the app instead.

Andi47

Overlord

It would be nice if people, who have no access to a PC or a laptop for whatever reason (being on a journey or in hospital or whatever) could access GvG (via mobile browser or via app) and the early phase of beta events (only possible via browser?) on mobile devices.

DeletedUser8277

I'm surprised to see GvG made the trip. I had begun to wonder if the port to html5 would be the last nail in the GvG coffin.

The game looks brighter compared to the flash version. I had my live game open in one tab and betas html5 version in another and the buildings look much more vibrant. Similar to how they look on mobile. That's a nice change.

I'm glad they have already removed some of those odd shadows behind everything, I didn't think it was a bug just an odd design choice but it looks much cleaner without them.

The other oddity:
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 4.35.49 PM.png

I thought the font was blurry but it looks like there is some type of design going on here that doesn't quite work. Again not a bug just a design choice.

There's a strange line in the GE tournament view
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 4.39.25 PM.png

Other than that I've used some of my game time the last two days to try to bring about errors or issues and so far smooth sailing. I'm impressed with how imperceptible the html version is to the flash.

zlobnyj bot

Squire
launched a version of xml5 and just at the great buildings of neighbors. the amount of resources spent is simply astounding ((((((
prntscr.com/idgd86

even when copying-pasting in correspondence it is simply impossible to move the cursor. the enter key does not work on switching to the next line, so it's probably possible to move the cursor only within the first line of the text.
although the selection works anywhere. paradox))

DeletedUser8843

I active HTML5, but if I open FoE on my Microsoft Edge for Windows Phone it appens:
  • if I am on mobile setting, automatically forward me to Google Play Store (but I have Windows Phone)
  • if I am on desktop setting, it shows me the message that I have to install Flash Player.
In future it could be possible to fix this two bugs?

DeletedUser7951

I active HTML5, but if I open FoE on my Microsoft Edge for Windows Phone it appens:
  • if I am on mobile setting, automatically forward me to Google Play Store (but I have Windows Phone)
  • if I am on desktop setting, it shows me the message that I have to install Flash Player.

The announcement clearly states that for now it's only chrome and Opera that can use the new HTML 5 version, as each browser is slightly different. It's also stated that this will be available for all later.

A few posts further up it was also stated that mobile browsers were not, at least not at this stage, intended to work as we have the app there.

Achaeus

Marquis
You don't need to disable Flash. Just activate HTML5 in the ingame settings menu on Beta.

You don't need to disable Flash, but it runs much better if you do!

To disable it in Opera, go into settings/websites/manage exceptions, just be careful to pick the Beta site only

Pafton

Viceroy

The announcement clearly states that for now it's only chrome and Opera that can use the new HTML 5 version, as each browser is slightly different. It's also stated that this will be available for all later.

A few posts further up it was also stated that mobile browsers were not, at least not at this stage, intended to work as we have the app there.
But does this mean that the setting to ACTIVATE HTML5 exists on other browsers, (apart from Chrome and Opera)? I mean, do the firefox and, say, IE versions have that setting to enable HTML5, even though the game won't work on those browsers after that?

If that's the case then the setting should be removed from those browsers which are not supported yet to avoid confusion and be added back later when HTML5 is supported on all browsers.