• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Halloween 2017

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser8489

Very nice prizes and cute avatars.
Under this conditions I won't consider doing it on live though.
I am on beta doing these events to advise other's on live wether or not it is worth it.
And I do love Halloween bad!
It feels like we kinda lured in to be brutally honest.
It starts very doable I even thought this was because of the Halloween spirit.
But as I continued it became very unreasonable I think that's why I felt lured in.

I agree. Quest #23 is going to be as far as I will get. Regardless of "why" .... that doesn't really matter.

But I will give you an itsy-bitsy tiny little hint: I've only been here in Beta for a week and I don't have 700 goods. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Somebody must have been on drugs (prescription, of course) when they pulled these Goods numbers out of their hats. LOL. (I don't even have that to spare in my 'live' game)

This is the whole point that some have chosen to ignore or don't see. Just accessibility. That's all. But I've said all this before ... done now. ;) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5160

While disheartening to some, I don't have a problem with a research (or any) quest having no alternative. It's nice when they're there, but that doesn't in any way imply that there always has to be alternatives. Even with the past few events that had alternatives for virtually every quest task, there were occasional quests with no alternatives. As always, if you feel like a quest is too disruptive to your game you have the option to just not complete it - I think the issue here though is that people want the prize(s) from the event, and some may feel, even though it's possible for them to complete, that they shouldn't 'have' to do something that may be challenging in order to receive the rewards. Some players may be legitimately painted into a corner regarding getting an event finished in time, especially with a relatively short duration for completing 45 quests, but I know some folks here are definitely going to be exaggerating a bit about the situation as well.

There is nothing challenging about doing research. I have enough goods to complete AF in beta. The difficulty is in dealing with the repercussions of entering an age I am not ready for. This is compounded with the ships we need to send out for more goods or negotiations that require goods only gained from terminals.

DeletedUser

@Zarok Dai
why not paying diamonds as alternative (in every non-abortable quest)
scout a province or pay 99 diamonds

more money for innogames and finally (after 5 years) a way to end quests without doing it
other games have that pay-to-finish option since the beginning

I agree. Quest #23 is going to be as far as I will get. Regardless of "why" .... that doesn't really matter.

But I will give you an itsy-bitsy tiny little hint: I've only been here in Beta for a week and I don't have 700 goods. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Somebody must have been on drugs (prescription, of course) when they pulled these Goods numbers out of their hats. LOL. (I don't even have that to spare in my 'live' game)

This is the whole point that some have chosen to ignore or don't see. Just accessibility. That's all. But I've said all this before ... done now. ;) :)
lol

after one week playing this game scouting takes a few hours

itsy-bitsy tiny little hint: it is scout OR donate, not AND

if someone after one week playing is donating goods instead of scouting that guy is really on drugs

DeletedUser5160

@Zarok Dai

more money for innogames and finally (after 5 years) a way to end quests without doing it

lol

after one week playing this game scouting takes a few hours

itsy-bitsy tiny little hint: it is scout OR donate, not AND

if someone after one week playing is donating goods instead of scouting that guy is really on drugs

:/ 50 diamonds to instant scout or 99 diamonds to pass the quest. Which option would the player take? I wouldn't mind paying to skip a quest, but for the AF/OF people, spending diamonds to skip a tech research quest would be far cheaper than spending the diamonds for the goods or avoiding advancing into a new age.

DeletedUser8277

That's a very interesting proposal and I for one would be very much in favor of it. I would still prefer to see alts brought back in though.
If the diamond cost to auto complete was kept reasonable, 100 diamonds I think it still makes it possible for free players to make it work. It would require more strategizing on their part, doing level 4 GE for several weeks before an event, putting down some of those fountains of youth that seem to be stacking up in inventory. It would give a great new avenue for what diamonds are spent on other than the few things player use them for now. This is a strategy game after all, anything that adds to the strategy adds to the entertainment.

For the payers I think they would be happy to pay to be allowed to stay in their era without missing out on events and if Inno is getting paid more doesn't it work out for everybody?

DeletedUser8341

However, where is that feedback taken into account for this event?
Right now, as I am interacting with this thread. This is Beta in real time :)
THIS, here, is the event? That's strange, I thought this was a forum and the event was happening in the game.

I wasn't aware that the forum was in beta, I had thought that was the game.

I clearly need to adjust my way of thinking about how to play the game .. more forum posts, perhaps .. maybe that is what my town needs.

Come on, now. This exchange is getting silly.

DeletedUser8341

If you've only been on beta for a week, I find it hard to imagine why scouting is such a hard task for you, already. Donating 700 goods is the alternative to those who can't scout, or can't scout in a reasonable time).

DeletedUser8341

If the diamond cost to auto complete was kept reasonable, 100 diamonds I think it still makes it possible for free players to make it work. It would require more strategizing on their part, doing level 4 GE for several weeks before an event, putting down some of those fountains of youth that seem to be stacking up in inventory.
There speaks someone who has been playing for years.
I have been playing about 6 months, doing very well (overtaking my original guild leaders, then outgrowing the guilds..) but I have only recently managed to play GE4 at all (part learning, part being good enough to be in a guild that even opens that level).

Fountains of Youth are NOT stacking up in my Inventories. Only a week ago, I would have wondered what one even was.

As a player who prefers (yes, my choice) to experience the game as fully as the app allows rather than have all those Diamond-mining cities on other worlds, I do not have heaps of diamonds, either. Even so, I apparently have more than most people at my score. My precious diamonds are used exclusively for city space.

A diamond option would indeed be better than nothing but it would do nothing towards making the game more encouraging to sensible long-term strategy. I don't think it is in anyone's interest to keep turning Forge of Empires into a random-click, don't-think, plow-on-for-a-few-months-and dump-it kind of game.

DeletedUser8362

I'd have taken a diamond cost as an alternative... as long as it was reasonable... I don't mind paying to have a bit of fun and play the way I enjoy... even better would be to give us 3 alternatives in future... 2 challenges and a diamond 'get out of jail free card'... I'm all in favour of choice... it's just a pity that the questline in this form means I won't be able to enjoy this event and a little bit of my interest in the game died.

Inno have with FoE developed a game where the basic concept of it is to develop your city by advancing through the technological ages.

Quests are a way of encouraging and rewarding player to do this as the faster you progress the more likely you are to need to spend diamonds to maintain that fast pace.

What many posters seem to be blithely unaware of is that inno are a commercial organisation who are here to make money.

Sitting in an age building up stocks of goods and FP's reduces the need for spending diamonds and thus reduces Inno's revenue.

No matter how keen Inno might be on trying to keep as many players as possible happy, their priority is always going to be to encourage the more lucrative (for Inno) playing style.

The plain simple fact is that, without a high enough revenue stream being generated by this game, there wouldn't be a game at all.

DeletedUser5160

Concerns
"These quests are incompatible with how I want to play the game"
Some effort should and will always be involved in questlines. It's not fun to complete 10x a "gather 10 coins" quest - that would provide very little gameplay value. This will mean that there will sometimes be quests that are outside of your usual comfort zone :). It also happens that not all players equally enjoy each type of quest.

On the other hand, we've gotten to the stage where we're reading feedback from some players on the forums that can't play the questlines because of how incompatible certain quest requirements are with their style of play. An example is quest conditions to research new technologies. For players with very specific goals in mind that they want to accomplish in their current age, this can be a quite limiting condition. This doesn't fit with our idea of having questlines being available to all players.

→ We've heard and understood that feedback, and will try out including alternatives for that type of quest condition. Both the Arthur Conan Doyle questline that recently finished here on Beta, and the upcoming questline about Shah Jahan include alternatives for researching technologies. We'll see how this goes!

Just going to quote this from the epiphany you all had about offering alternatives for quests.

InnoGames must have short term memory or found that by giving people alternatives, players were not entering into the weaker ages that increased the difficulty for older players. Researching a tech wouldn't be so bad for AF and OF people if getting the AF goods in OF wasn't so bad. ( OF people are stuck in the same hood with other OF players thanks to the whiners about balanced hoods).

I rely on my GBs making the refined goods so I can use them to make goods of the same era or I use the event GBs to just make the goods of that era. If I age up, my GBs will now make different goods ( in my next case will be goods needed for OF ) and I will have to reno all my event buildings to make AF goods before I age up or wind up wasting more space than I need to chaining refined goods to make AF goods. I think it's PE -> CE -> AF.

I once again and now not going to research any tech again unless an quest demands it. OF is just such a terrible age, offering nothing interesting.

DeletedUser8402

I also just ran up against Quest #30 - research a technology (as the sole objective). With my current era research tree maxed out, this would force me to move up an era. That's going to be a no-go. It's a shame there's no alternative/"OR" choice for this has there has been in the last few events. I know at least a few folks in one of my guilds on the live servers who won't be finishing the Halloween event if this is how it goes live.

Silveralius

Squire
I was responding to a claim made in relation to beta. Are you saying that some players are advised ahead of time what the quests will require?

Are you saying that people should play the game based on knowledge of what quests will appear? Thanks to a few players, some unofficial information is available by the time quests get to live servers but - as the fan wiki points out - this information is subject to change, as it is not issued by the game. If players should have foreknowledge in order to complete a quest, Inno should be publishing that quest in full and linking to it.

The quests are the same type. No change.
You know that some (no matter which) event start. So you buy more blacksmith, you can delete some units and start trainig, you can stop motivate players and visiting taverns untill the event start. You can spend some fp to research but not unlock it.
Because in all events are quest to recruits unit, scout province, research, donate, complete production, motivate or polish, win batles, vists taverns.
If you do that, that only complete some production can be time barrier.
But if you have 20 production buildings (a lot balcksmith) you can start 8x 8h production, 8x 4h production and other will let incative to 5min or 15 min productin.
So if first come guest to complete 8 or 4 h production you have quest complete earlier.
In many events you can complete a lot quest at first day, because there are eazy quests like spend XY fp, get XY coins or suplies, visit XY taverns, motivate or polish 20 buildings and other eazy quest.

I do not have to know the quests before event start and I can prepare.

FoE is strategy game so events require some strategy to. And my strategy is be prepared for events. I'm not hardcore player I play for fun so I do not try how fast I can complete all quest but. After 5 days I have complete 25 quests that is 5 quest per day.

I don't think anyone said it was impossible, just not practical for people who have lives outside of sitting on their computer all day.

I'm working so I have short time to play at midday and some small time at evening.
I play on 3 worlds (include beta) and I haven't any problem to complete any event at all worlds.
And I translate quests anw news from here (beta) for guild members in my main world.
And I have personal life to. FoE is not my life. But I know how to play and how to make it easier.

DeletedUser8471

Concerns
"These quests are incompatible with how I want to play the game"

Some effort should and will always be involved in questlines. It's not fun to complete 10x a "gather 10 coins" quest - that would provide very little gameplay value. This will mean that there will sometimes be quests that are outside of your usual comfort zone :). It also happens that not all players equally enjoy each type of quest.

On the other hand, we've gotten to the stage where we're reading feedback from some players on the forums that can't play the questlines because of how incompatible certain quest requirements are with their style of play. An example is quest conditions to research new technologies. For players with very specific goals in mind that they want to accomplish in their current age, this can be a quite limiting condition. This doesn't fit with our idea of having questlines being available to all players.

→ We've heard and understood that feedback, and will try out including alternatives for that type of quest condition. Both the Arthur Conan Doylequestline that recently finished here on Beta, and the upcoming questline about Shah Jahaninclude alternatives for researching technologies. We'll see how this goes!

Just going to quote this from the epiphany you all had about offering alternatives for quests.

I wasn't perusing the forums at this point apparently or I would have used this to help make my case earlier. Thank you for posting it to remind the Devs about this.

As I said before, if there is only one quest in the entire event quest line that has an alternate, this is the quest that should have it. It is truly the only quest that is detrimental to stopping players from completing the quest line or stop playing their strategy for that particular age.

And if the alternate is going to be to "Donate goods to the Treasury" then it should be changed to allow 1 era above or below your current era as well, to allow BA challengers the chance to complete the line as well.

Cardena

Squire
I don´t want to waste 750 goods. Devs agreed to give options in the quests and this have none

Yes, I never did understand why those quests always demands to buy the sectors. Very annoying indeed, Why not just give the quest "Acquire 3 sectors"?

BTW I could better accept such quests, it the other quest "Acquire a sector with fighting" would also exist without alternative.