• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Video Ads Are Coming To Forge Mobile

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
logo.png

Dear Kings and Queens,
Today, on Wednesday, June 29th, the Video Ads are available for all mobile players and the features for browser players as well!

This is the place to be if you have any questions about it or would like to discuss it with other players.
Please keep in mind that your opinion may differ from the opinions of other players, you don't have to convince each other of anything here. :)

We appreciate your feedback!

Please write your feedback in a factual and constructive way and stay on topic.
So that we can pass your feedback on to the developers, the following points would be important to note:
  • Feedback that only contains one sentence like "I would prefer adds instead of ads" is not helpful. Please make sure to include reasons for your opinion.
  • The same goes for positive feedback. We are happy about it of course, but describing what exactly you like is always very helpful!
  • Limit your feedback to the actual content. Feedback like "You should improve X" or feedback that refers to other game content or previous events is not helpful.
  • Use the "Like" button if another player has already reflected your opinion well.

Thank you very much and have fun!

Sincerely,
Your Forge of Empires Team

Juber

Overlord
Community Manager
As a side note: If you can't see the images in the announcement, it is because they are probably blocked by your adblocker. Reason for that is, that they have "ad" in the link name. Until we can fix this from our side, you can simply deactivate the adblocker for this site or wait for us to change the links. :)

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
Juber said:
However, it is important to note that this was designed not to disturb the player or hamper the main experience.

Except in the case of the tavern where by default we are oriented on bonuses and pubs instead of being prioritized on the "tavern chairs" tab as before!

Juber said:
The other important point to note is that not all players will have the ads. Indeed, players who have made purchases in the store since the creation of their account will not see advertisements.

VERY important point to emphasize!
Because this will put a definitive end to the disputes of certain complainers who have never bought anything.

Juber said:
Help all button

It is useful to specify that there is still a bug on the validation of certain quests which require a certain number of gp/mo.

Thunderdome

Emperor
Somehow, "I told you so" doesn't even cut it. Sorry mobile folks; it looks like you have to play on the browser version if you want to skip ads to take advantage of the benefit available to you. But fret not, you can log on a few minutes after server midnight reset to collect the special incident chests, complete the 1 coin quest, and use the aid all feature without watching an ad (in one go). I can't say much for the tavern visit (every 4 hours the bonus resets and it is activated automatically on the browser) as it seems like Inno wants to make the bonus screen a priority than the tavern chairs that we used to in collecting from as a priority (yeah, says much about such being "optional", eh).
The other important point to note is that not all players will experience Ads. Indeed, players that have purchased regular in-game items since establishing their account, will not encounter Ads.
Well, I guess since I had bought diamonds in the past, I won't get these, right (in the mobile version as well?)? This is something I definitely will need to test, heh heh. Might be some saving grace to keeping the app after all.
As a side note: If you can't see the images in the announcement, it is because they are probably blocked by your adblocker. Reason for that is, that they have "ad" in the link name. Until we can fix this from our side, you can simply deactivate the adblocker for this site or wait for us to change the links. :)
Neh, I can read the text just fine. Once you fix your image problems, I might take a gander but seeing that I had this on live, images might not be that important since I had gone through this song and dance already.
Simply put, they do not. The reason for this is due to balancing. With a whole new host of incidents available, we believed counting them towards quests would make these quest conditions too easy. However, this is also something we are continuing to evaluate following the release of the feature. Any change will be communicated via the changelog.
I would like to ask in what way these specials will contribute to the balancing issues and in making completing quests too easy. Is it because these (4) pop up at around server reset time that would mean it would give the browser players a step up than the mobile player? Heck, with these, it would alleviate those who hardly get incidents on their play screens (and we all know that has happened) so they didn't have to wait a long time just to complete a quest. Also, a side note, everyone (including the mobile players who wish to watch an ad; unless they take a quick trip to the browser version) will have the same number of these special incident chests (which is 4) available to them.

And yet, had we all got this announcement (or the explanation of more like it), we would not be having a slug fest in the first place.

Harold Nat

Squire
Baking Sudoku Master
I play on PC but if I were a mobile only player, I'd willingly watch a video ad to access the aid all feature. I've been enjoying it a lot during a/b testing.
All the other video-ad extras are ok for me since you can ignore them and play unhindered.

I'd like to modify the task giver because what does it even mean to "collect 1 coin" ?? What spawns this task giver from appearing, do the ads give some sort of alternate coin? I play on PC so it's like totally left field for me. Why not just call her the daily task giver that appears at midnight or some such like the magic man.

TBH it would be nice if we could imbue her with repeat tasks........

I also don't appreciate being taken to the ad page in the tavern FIRST, EVERY TIME.

Secondly I appreciate everyone finally getting aid all, AB testing is 100% bull, just give it to us on beta first - we ARE a live server as recognized by the gbg testing!

Thunderdome

Emperor
I play on PC but if I were a mobile only player, I'd willingly watch a video ad to access the aid all feature. I've been enjoying it a lot during a/b testing.
All the other video-ad extras are ok for me since you can ignore them and play unhindered.
I had confirmed that since I bought diamonds in the past, I won't get ads when I use the features in the mobile version. I just don't know how much is the minimum since I had bought loads in my day (I hardly do it now since nothing very much tickles my fancy aside from the mediocre rewards and "one side fits all" mindsets Inno has). I won't have to uninstall the FoE app from my device after all.
I'd like to modify the task giver because what does it even mean to "collect 1 coin" ?? What spawns this task giver from appearing, do the ads give some sort of alternate coin? I play on PC so it's like totally left field for me. Why not just call her the daily task giver that appears at midnight or some such like the magic man
It's basically collect at least 1 coin from any building that give out coins in your city. In the live city, I have this, so when I click on collect from a house, it would trigger as complete. Also if you collect from incidents that give out coin, it will trigger as complete. The quest spawns at midnight (or server reset) which is basically 11pm for me local time (on the live US server).

And Inno, priorities, priorities. This is what should be the priority when we click on our taverns:
1656530140859.png
Not this:
1656530242746.png

That is if you really want us to believe that accessing such boost is "optional" and shouldn't hinder our gameplay. Right now, it's completely the opposite as we have to click on the Tavern Room tab just to collect from our tables. Also, on the basis of "optional", it should not activate automatically in the browser version. I mean, you managed to put this button lit for the mobile version since I have the choice (and after buying diamonds in the past) to activate it or not. The browser users should be given that choice as well if they want to activate it or not.

I'm just saying.

It's basically collect at least 1 coin from any building that give out coins in your city. In the live city, I have this, so when I click on collect from a house, it would trigger as complete. Also if you collect from incidents that give out coin, it will trigger as complete. The quest spawns at midnight (or server reset) which is basically 11pm for me local time (on the live US server).
But it only triggers once, like I have 8 hour royal marbles that go off and I only get the task giver once per day like why is this the measurement ?? As well as the purple barrels all appearing at once in the city and not spawning again until after reset, wouldn't it make more sense for these to appear through the day like normal incidents ?

If I was someone in charge at inno, I'd only give people who bought diamonds in the past month the ability to be ad free, they didn't give a time frame but this would be my suspect.

Thunderdome

Emperor
But it only triggers once, like I have 8 hour royal marbles that go off and I only get the task giver once per day like why is this the measurement ?? As well as the purple barrels all appearing at once in the city and not spawning again until after reset, wouldn't it make more sense for these to appear through the day like normal incidents ?
Yep, it's just once a day. Same with those chests. If they were to come more times in a day, Inno would be screaming "game imbalance".
If I was someone in charge at inno, I'd only give people who bought diamonds in the past month the ability to be ad free, they didn't give a time frame but this would be my suspect.
Novel concept right there. Since I play mostly on the browser, I won't have to worry about ads intruding. However, there will be times where a tablet will do for me to access the mobile app. That being said, I only buy diamonds when I need to buy them (the same can be said about me playing on the mobile app over the browser version). Again, Inno has not said what the minimum would be in order to have this ability of not seeing an ad, and I don't want to speculate/assume that it has to be 1 diamond in order to have this, else Inno would only see an influx of $4.99 USD diamond purchases just to make sure the player themselves are not getting ads for that month.

Either way, I had to say for Inno to make no ads for the mobile user that bought diamonds is almost the same as the user buying the ad-free version of a regular app. I personally don't like ads, so if an app is really good (has to "knock it out of the park" for me to consider), I will go ahead and purchase the ad-free version as it's lifetime for it. Call it peace of mind in a sense. However, the same can be said for subscription services like Spotify that provide ad-free experiences every month for $9.99 USD a month. I use that for my car and PS-4.

Yep, it's just once a day. Same with those chests. If they were to come more times in a day, Inno would be screaming "game imbalance".

Novel concept right there. Since I play mostly on the browser, I won't have to worry about ads intruding. However, there will be times where a tablet will do for me to access the mobile app. That being said, I only buy diamonds when I need to buy them (the same can be said about me playing on the mobile app over the browser version). Again, Inno has not said what the minimum would be in order to have this ability of not seeing an ad, and I don't want to speculate/assume that it has to be 1 diamond in order to have this, else Inno would only see an influx of $4.99 USD diamond purchases just to make sure the player themselves are not getting ads for that month.

Either way, I had to say for Inno to make no ads for the mobile user that bought diamonds is almost the same as the user buying the ad-free version of a regular app. I personally don't like ads, so if an app is really good (has to "knock it out of the park" for me to consider), I will go ahead and purchase the ad-free version as it's lifetime for it. Call it peace of mind in a sense. However, the same can be said for subscription services like Spotify that provide ad-free experiences every month for $9.99 USD a month. I use that for my car and PS-4.
I mean the same number of chests but spread out every 4 hours or so and last 24 hours similar to regular incidents.

Just tell us inno, what is the price we have to pay for no ads !

Thunderdome

Emperor
I mean the same number of chests but spread out every 4 hours or so and last 24 hours similar to regular incidents.
I think that one's hard to code in for Inno's tastes. A better, yet still on the former sentence, way would put those chests in the sidebar like for diamond specials for items so they won't tax people's system resources as the "animations" inactive setting doesn't prevent them from glowing (which takes more resources than just appearing statically). But if they are to program what you had suggested, the first one will be laid out at reset, then each 6 hours thereafter (4 chests / 24 hours in a day = 1 chest every 6 hours) with the claim timer for 24 hours each; the next day's reset, will have that one chest replaced by the new one and so forth for each not claimed by the player. That would be the novel idea, but this is Inno, and their way is to just program 4 to spawn at reset and just sit there until someone takes them for "game balancing" (I am throwing that around now) reasons.

SlytherinAttack

Viceroy
Baking Sudoku Master
Highly expected feature which satisfies players all around the world comes with highly unwanted approach called Ads. GvG users (browser players) will enjoy since they don't see ads.

Mostly mobile will get any update late when compared to browser, but this time to meet the irritation of ads made an exception.

Dislikes in the game getting bigger,
Ads, GvG, Plunder, Market trade with guild free but not with friend, once age/era moved not much use of those old age/era building exceptions to previous age/era, GbG farming continues whatever improvements added.

After all this, still playing the game. So, INNO doesn't know what kind of feeling it will be, actually. Cannot blame them.

Kronan

Viceroy
Suggestions on Tavern boosting (for images to visualize my suggestions, the reader can refer to this post: https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.c...-are-coming-to-forge-mobile.15649/post-136594)

1) For years, we touch (or click) the tavern to open it to the "chairs and table" view, now called TAVERN ROOM. I think many here agree that's the preferred invocation tab choice/focus ......and not the Tavern Boost tab. Thank you for adding tavern boosts, but could the TAB first seen when invoked be the classic SEATING choice called Tavern Room?

Alternately, an idea to consider is to OPEN to Tavern Boost as you're now doing, but... instead of just calling the TAB TAVERN ROOM, do this instead:

Tavern Room (12/16) or (X/Y ---> X filled of Y seats)

This, at a glance in the 3-tab view, shows the city owner that 12 of his/her 16 chairs are filled. (12/16), and it reduces the direct need to open that tab to find that out.

Secondly...

Inno's spent a lot of quality time homogenizing ALL the symbol related to war boosts. Attacking ARMY is now red swords, and shields, and City defenders are blue swords and shield.

I have been an advocate for that for years, and THANK you for doing that! It really makes a fit-and-finish difference to this wonderful game.

Now the rub...

You didn't follow your own color rules/scheme on the TAVERN BOOSTS tab ... and should do so. Change the graphics on at least 2 of the 4 boosts, since they should align with the color scheme AND designs you've already employed in the rest of the entire game related to war boosting colors and naming conventions.

Last edited: