• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion So much citizens

Tigertjheu

Squire
I wonder, why everything has to give citizens?
Even the new building from previous event (now on the live servers) give citizens while it is a arena.
On the live server i have 150k jobless citizens, and not one residential building.

My opinion, take a second look at buildings, are there really living citizens in there or not?
What does the rest think of this?

Logain Sedai

Baronet
I also wonder. Population used to be (ok a long time ago) an element of the strategy. You needed to juggle population for ressources buildings and military buildings, and make sure all your citizens were happy. Now we have a lot more event buildings given population (and often happiness too) and we have LESS need of ressources and military buildings because you can get these with (again) event buildings, and also EG et BG.
Call me "old-fashioned" but I find that in that respect Inno is making things a little too easy.
It would be great if these inactive citizens could be used for something.

Umbrathor

Baronet
I wonder, why everything has to give citizens?
Even the new building from previous event (now on the live servers) give citizens while it is a arena.
On the live server i have 150k jobless citizens, and not one residential building.

My opinion, take a second look at buildings, are there really living citizens in there or not?
What does the rest think of this?
Two reasons:
  • since they provide population, it is easy to make room for them by removing houses (for beginning to mid-level players)
  • dwellings are the easiest pre-existing type to add useful features onto, without having to design a new mechanic

Most event buildings are based on the mechanic of dwellings. There are about six basic types of buildings in the game:
  1. Dwellings: provide population, can be harvested every x amount of time
  2. Production: 6 options to produce supplies (or something else) at different time intervals, productions incurs no cost
  3. Goods: produces one age specific good with 3 different time options, costs coins and supplies (and sometimes goods) to start
  4. Cultural: provides happiness, cannot be harvested, needs road
  5. Decoration: provides happiness, cannot be harvested, does not need road
  6. Barracks: trains one specific unit with a maximum number of brackets for each single unit to train
  7. Other: wishing well (random production) and victory tower (harvested once per week) for instance
In the beginning, most event buildings were one of those types of buildings, at peak efficiency. Golden dwellings (haunted house), production buildings (confectionary), cultural (graveyard) and decorations (Tree of Love).

Making variations of the other types of building is harder. Haven't seen a variation on the barracks since the color guard, and the color guard and drummer barracks are just a waste of space.

After continuing complaints about dwelling-type event buildings that required advanced players to add cultural buildings while the extra population wasn't needed, Inno started offsetting the population boost with built-in happiness. So that problem is solved.

Your main concern is: why have (more) citizens? I don't need them! True, advanaced players don't, once they have a number of event buildings. But it is not all about you. : )

Every event building has features that some players find less useful. As long as many or most do, Inno has made a good new building.

One of many threads where the snake part in me is tempted to simply write, 'Be grateful or be silent!', and leave it at that.
*hhh*
These kind of games all keep you in an artificial scarcity of various and changing resources, I've helped building a couple myself. If one resource is abundant, trust me, it won't stay that way.
Honestly, the predictability of the appearance of the abundance alarm threads leads me to swear, some people are just... overburdened by abundance. ;-)

Thunderdome

Emperor
I don't know how many citizens a building gives at higher levels but I do not have a single residence on the beta server and about 1/5 of what you have when it comes to jobless.

I could go for happiness based buildings because that's what majority of the players need in order to keep their production % up. However, I will just take what I can and what I can't use that will cause a disturbance in my city either gets sold or sits in the inventory until I am ready for it.

DeletedUser

On live I have 150k needless population, BUT 700k needless happiness... Pop won't harm, but maybe it's time to do something with happiness? Like making another 150% or 200% or 300% boost which needs all those satisfaction? I know, most will say "why, I don't need more coins or supplies", but at least that would be used up for something.

I could go for happiness based buildings because that's what majority of the players need in order to keep their production % up.

I rather depend on Alcatraz and road system and then add special building providing not just happiness but that with a mix of other resources. Like happiness from Carousels, Botanical Rotundas, and a few items from Cherry Garden sets,

Thunderdome

Emperor
On live I have 150k needless population, BUT 700k needless happiness... Pop won't harm, but maybe it's time to do something with happiness? Like making another 150% or 200% or 300% boost which needs all those satisfaction? I know, most will say "why, I don't need more coins or supplies", but at least that would be used up for something.
160 million reasons why we need some kind of conversion system from gold to supplies and vice versa.

But, I do like the extra boost % for having a high amount of satisfaction.