• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion Settlements, Do you want a new one?

Moctezuma I

Farmer
Central America often includes Mexico. But Central America is usually also considered part of North America rather than South - so it was an odd pairing.

I suppose culturally Central America is more similar to South America than it is to the US (primarily based on which countries controlled it in colonial times) is why they chose it that way.
Mexico, culturally, is part of Latino America, but geographically is part of North America. Let's make the diference between those two aspects, not to confuse them. :D

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
Yep, but they also colonized what is now Greenland and Newfoundland about 1000 years ago.
Yeah but so did the French, the Spanish, the Portugese, the Dutch, the Germans, etc. should their countries be considered now also (Latin) American, African and Asian countries? Cause they've setup in the past colonies in those continents? I don't think so tbh.

Yeah but so did the French, the Spanish, the Portugese, the Dutch, the Germans, etc. should their countries be considered now also (Latin) American, African and Asian countries? Cause they've setup in the past colonies in those continents? I don't think so tbh.
The subject was what continents are, or are not, represented by current Cultural Settlements. My point was that the Vikings Settlement could be considered being in North America, not just Scandinavia (Europe).

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
The subject was what continents are, or are not, represented by current Cultural Settlements. My point was that the Vikings Settlement could be considered being in North America, not just Scandinavia (Europe).
Just because Vikings might've setup colonies in the territory of North America, doesn't make their culture all the sudden an North American culture. Nor does any European culture, for simple being the culture of an European country that has founded places in different continents. That was my point and in line with the subject.

Just because Vikings might've setup colonies in the territory of North America, doesn't make their culture all the sudden an North American culture. Nor does any European culture, for simple being the culture of an European country that has founded places in different continents. That was my point and in line with the subject.
This is a silly, pointless, debate. "North America" is a continent. You originally claimed that FOE had no settlements representing North America. The Vikings established colonies in both Greenland and Newfoundland. Therefore, the game's Vikings Settlement could be considered a North American settlement. QED

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
This is a silly, pointless, debate. "North America" is a continent. You originally claimed that FOE had no settlements representing North America. The Vikings established colonies in both Greenland and Newfoundland. Therefore, the game's Vikings Settlement could be considered a North American settlement. QED
You're arguments to repel my claims are equally silly, I just point an mirror at it with other European cultures from countries that established colonies elsewhere. The Viking culture isn't magically representative for North American culture, just because the people of the Viking culture had established colonies there. The settlement can just as easily been an settlement getting established high in Europe or even Iceland which is also considered to be Europe anyways.
No matter where the settlement is, the culture is an European culture. Correct me if history is wrong about Vikings' culture being an European culture.