• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Fixed on Beta: Sessions not invalidated after password changes

RedRed

Viceroy
tl;dr: a logout should be forced after password change

When you are in doubt if someone has access to your account, support kindly suggest you to change password. This is good in theory but has no real effect if you aren't used to logout, because existing sessions aren't invalidated on password change. I consider it a serious bug / lack of security. :confused::eek:o_O

This has several implications:
  1. Who has gained access to your account it will be able to stay with you for still a long time - and you'll never know, since even the support can't tell you if someone else has logged in your account;
  2. Who has gained access to your account can change your password, with a new one or even restoring the old compromised password if you have changed it, and you can't notice it (either because the not invalidated existing sessions and because no e-mail notification is sent to you on password change).

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Log-in in several browser and devices;
  2. Enter into the game from one device, change the password;
  3. Any other browser/device in which you were previously logged into is still able to load the game without asking for a new authentication;

I know that it isn't a common scenario, however it is something with heavy implications both on security and privacy.

Last edited:

Artubar

Baronet
@Sessions in general: In my browsers they become invalid as soon as I close the browser, I have to log in again after reopening the browser. Do you somehow force session cookies to be persistent?

RedRed

Viceroy
I tested it with default settings in different browsers; I guess it is because the "remember me" flag on the log form... you can optionally set your browser to clear everything on closing, this however clears only your local session for that browser, any other existing session won't be invalidated until explicit logout (this action correctly clears the server side data paired with the existing sessions)

Last edited:

Dudettas

Emperor
InnoGames
Whilst not a bug, we've submitted for review that a logout is forced with a password change. Thanks for taking the time to report!