• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion New Unit system in SAJ idea

I wonder, since SAJ is still in development, if we could have a new strengths/weaknesses system. I feel like, since we're going to the outer Solar System, it would be a good time to change. I was thinking maybe just a simple change (e.g. light being strong against artillery, artillery being strong against ranged, ranged being strong against heavy, heavy being strong against light)

CrashBoom

Legend
why ?

people already know the old system
for example: artillery beats heavy

and I don't like the idea of artillery beating ranged
ranged advantage is being far away. making artillery strong against them steals that ability

Champions still out of the topic? Still not time for them?
We have seen Champions as Fast units and later as Heavy Units.
What about a different kind of Champions? Light? Ranged?

Im open to a Sugar Ray Leonard Champion instead of another Muhammed Ali.

Last edited:
Champions are heavy unit??? you sure?
Yes, some Champions are Heavy, not all are Fast like at the early ages of the game (this must be a spoiler for you, sorry about that). In some eras they are really good Heavy units, not like the punny horse type Champions of the middle ages. I find the Dragoons of the Colonial Age the first horse type Champion that is quite capable, the earlier ones are more to the weak side.
  • Fast Champions: From Bronze Age to Modern Era
  • Heavy Champions: From Post Modern Era to Space Age Venus
Reference: https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Champion

We have seen like 9 or 10 of each type of Champion (Fast / Heavy). Time to see a Light Champion?

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't know if this is just me, but space age ranged units act as early age light units, and late age light units act like early age ranged units

Gindi4711

Steward
I dont think that it is required to alter the who beats whom rules as with altering ranges and abilities every era so far has played differently (at least the higher ones).

The bigger problem I see is that boni against certein unit types do not take attack boni into account. So with higher attack boni the whole paper scissors stone system falls apart and only those units that are able to hit first make sense any more see Nailguns vs. heavy. I think Venus would be pretty balanced without attack bonus but at 500% bonus all that is left are Power dragons andEnergy cannons with everything else being useless.

But I see one problem as well: If Inno manages to create an era with good troop balancing this means that you cant auto battle with the same army against 2 waves of enemies with the same bonus any more and this will make a lot of players hate the new era and many will refuse to upgrade.

Yekk

Viceroy
A side note. Once SAJ shows my city will have three surplus space posts. All ready for new colonists, barracks, goods and supply buildings, ect. My cities quest to reach the stars should include not wasting such space.

At the moment I have bases in the asteroid belt and on mars being unused and room in my city almost at maximum.

qaccy

Emperor
For what it's worth, they've already experimented with unit bonuses in various ages. It's not like they've never done it before, but since Arctic it would seem they've decided to keep things the same with each age, probably to make balancing (lol) easier for them.

Inno should definitely consider a change for the units' strenghts and weaknesses, since the last change to that happened after the Arctic Future. Combat feels a bit stagnant for a while now, especially since we always get Keen Eye on every unit.

CrashBoom

Legend
it is time that players are forced to use different combos against different opponents
not always same 8 units against everything

like in the real beginning
opponent: 8 fast. use light
opponent 8 heavy. use artillery
opponent: 2 a, 3 b, 3 c. use a combo of XY. kill b first and a last

nowaday in SAV
opponent: I don't care. I use always 8 energy canon. even if the opponent also has 8 canons

Noname 5.0

Steward
We just started playing in this week battleground and the 80 member team has just taken over the entire map .
I thought this game was supposed to be fun. But going up against guilds with 10x the members of our guild is anything but fun .
The only way we can even complete is to not play . Go down a league where the rewards aren’t anywhere near as good as they are in the diamond league.
When our guild does go down to the platinum league because we didn’t play in that weeks battleground. We do do well enough that we get rewarded with going back to the diamond league. To get slaughtered by larger guild 10x larger.
If you consider this a game for everyone and not just for the largest of guild. (There’s no strategy involved in battleground it just goes to which team has the most active players.) Make changes the how you matchup guilds for battleground.
Here’s an idea guilds with more than 25 members. Don’t get placed up against guilds with under 25 members.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOW YOU MATCH GUILDS FOR BATTLEGROUND.
ITS NOT FAIR TO SMALLER GUILDS.

Noname 5.0

Steward
To add to the above statement , the lager guilds don’t even use as many resources taking over the map as I do trying to gain a foothold so I can place siege camps. When I am able to control a province to place siege camps so I too can enjoy playing without using all our resources, it get captured before we can even use them to our benefit.
If you have any ideas how we can compete in the diamond league I would like to know.
Here’s another idea how about being able to use siege camps from our base camp or let the province in front of our HQ/Base be a no attack zone.
The way you have it there’s no strategy involved except having a larger guild.