• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Discussion New Troop Ideas

stay rita

Merchant
I'm interested in seeing what some are of the community's ideas on possible new "all ages" troops that could fit in the game. Please be civil this is no way a proposal just curious to see what you guys can think of!

Ironrooster

Baronet
General. When present all units move/fire before any enemy units move or fire.

Forward Observer. When present all artillery units do double damage each round the FO is still alive..

Thunderdome

Emperor
Pretty much pre-emptive (or first) strike capability. But what unit type would the general be, though?
Forward Observer. When present all artillery units do double damage each round the FO is still alive..
There are certain units with "flying" capability that will make having an all-artillery formation close to useless since they cannot attack those types. However, in battles where there is a mix of units, this would allow artillery units to hit "non-flying" units for said damage while other units in formation will hit for normal damage (and possibly dispatch those flying units at the same time). Curious question is what type of unit will the FO be.

Ironrooster

Baronet
Pretty much pre-emptive (or first) strike capability. But what unit type would the general be, though?

There are certain units with "flying" capability that will make having an all-artillery formation close to useless since they cannot attack those types. However, in battles where there is a mix of units, this would allow artillery units to hit "non-flying" units for said damage while other units in formation will hit for normal damage (and possibly dispatch those flying units at the same time). Curious question is what type of unit will the FO be.
I would make the general a fast unit, this would be in keeping with generals mounted on horses during several of the eras.
I would make the forward observer a light unit since these usually are with infantry type units.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
"mirror" - like rogue, but on first hit it turns into the type of unit that attacked it (or into a random opposing unit) - it feels quite OP though... maybe needs a debuff like "only attacks every other turn"

Thunderdome

Emperor
"mirror" - like rogue, but on first hit it turns into the type of unit that attacked it (or into a random opposing unit) - it feels quite OP though... maybe needs a debuff like "only attacks every other turn"
Could be a double edged sword here, mate. If a player went up against units of an earlier age, by what you're saying, they will change into said unit that attack them from that earlier age. Whereas, if a player went up against units of a higher age (like those that have FE units in defense and the player attacks with CE units), they will change into a unit that attack them from a higher age, in this case, a future era unit.

Could make for an interesting fight.

DEADP00L

Emperor
Perk Creator
Why not offer real stealth to the units that benefit from it?
By adapting the drums or flag bearer, which have become obsolete, which would give the possibility of "seeing" only the furtive troops if one does not have (in its composition) troops ignoring camouflage. So without this troop, we wouldn't see the stealth troops until we are in contact.

Thunderdome

Emperor
Why not offer real stealth to the units that benefit from it?
By adapting the drums or flag bearer, which have become obsolete, which would give the possibility of "seeing" only the furtive troops if one does not have (in its composition) troops ignoring camouflage. So without this troop, we wouldn't see the stealth troops until we are in contact.
I had liked the drummer because of that extra 1 point to every unit in battle. But they became obsolete really fast when other (and more advanced and/or powerful) units came into the scene. Had Inno modified the Rogue to not take the form of the drummer or color guard, it might be an interesting battle to have 1 regular unit, 6 rogues, and 1 drum/CG in formation (should be limited to 1 of one or the other in a fight since the stats do not stack up).

My CGs and Drummers are collecting dust as I do not have the heart to kick them off my city (deleting them), but their stats made them obsolete really fast. Had their stats updated along with a player aging up, they would have been some kind of use. Rogues are just meat shields and cannon fodder until they take the form of a regular unit or just die after one hit (after killing all regular units in the field).

The General would be such a nice unit to have. Even if the General's stats were crap, I could imagine 1 general and 7 Artillery (for example) would be very strong.

Take Rocket Troops for example. They could literally attack before Ninjas can hide.

CrashBoom

Legend
The General would be such a nice unit to have. Even if the General's stats were crap, I could imagine 1 general and 7 Artillery (for example) would be very strong.

Take Rocket Troops for example. They could literally attack before Ninjas can hide.
only if the ninjas don't have their own General :p

Thunderdome

Emperor
Now that’s when it gets really confusing lol.
Actually, if ninjas have a general, it will either negate since they already can act and hide first or it will still put them first if the opposing side has a general and no ninjas in their formation. Else, it goes to the mechanics of which side goes first if both have same age troops (mainly ninjas on both sides).
"paramedic" - per turn: randomly heals all units for 1HP or one random unit for 5HP - so essentially a better drummer
Would this be "active" or "passive"? If passive then it will free them from doing such so they can attack if needed. Also, would the abilities stack if there are more than 1 on the battlefield or a rogue turns into one? Very interesting to know more.
"altruist" - upon death all friendly units get healed to full
Nice. In most games I had played, I had seen this happened. However, would this be a one time effect or could another altruist do the same upon death?

Anyways, since we are in the spirit (or mood) for troop examples, allow me to put forth mine:

Suicide Bomber (Light Unit): Upon death, explodes in close range (1-2 tiles around any enemy units), dealing significant damage. Damage would be coefficient with a player's Attack/Defense as well as the Attack/Defense of the opposing side. Long range units are beneficial to use without taking damage from the blasting effect.
Kamikaze Pilot (Fast Unit): While this is a flying unit, it won't have the flying status, making it easier to be targeted by anyone (or anything). Upon death, it will crash into the unit that dealt the death blow and deal splash damage to any unit close to the striking unit (1-2 tiles surrounding the affected unit). So, it's best to space out your troops to avoid getting damaged by this flying suicide bomber in one go.

Anyways, since we are in the spirit (or mood) for troop examples, allow me to put forth mine:

Suicide Bomber (Light Unit): Upon death, explodes in close range (1-2 tiles around any enemy units), dealing significant damage. Damage would be coefficient with a player's Attack/Defense as well as the Attack/Defense of the opposing side. Long range units are beneficial to use without taking damage from the blasting effect.
Kamikaze Pilot (Fast Unit): While this is a flying unit, it won't have the flying status, making it easier to be targeted by anyone (or anything). Upon death, it will crash into the unit that dealt the death blow and deal splash damage to any unit close to the striking unit (1-2 tiles surrounding the affected unit). So, it's best to space out your troops to avoid getting damaged by this flying suicide bomber in one go.
Interesting death units. If I ever saw the Kamikaze Pilot I would definitely have second thoughts on attacking that army lol.

Thunderdome

Emperor
Interesting death units. If I ever saw the Kamikaze Pilot I would definitely have second thoughts on attacking that army lol.
Of course, the damage from the KP to the initial unit will depend on the Defense % of that attacking unit as well as the other units in range of that initial unit.

The only way the KP won't crash into the affected unit is when a unit counterattacks on the KP's attack. Same with a suicide bomber if a unit in close quarters countered the SB's attack. This phase is called neutralization (or neutralizing) of the threat.