• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Do Not Suggest New Special Unit Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
just a thought...
Details
these are unit Ideas that I thought up while waiting to take the PSAT... My mind wanders
Balance
I don't really know, heh!
Abuse Prevention
ummmm... is this even necessary?
Summary
like i said, if Innogames decides to use my ideas, they can figure out the specifics and do it how they want to. (no offense Inno... :))
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
yes I have
Ok so I noticed a trend in the past... during some of the easter events, Innogames has come out with "Special Units" or even units that are not regularly produced. An example of such are Barbarians and Brave Warriors to name a few. Well, I have a couple of ideas for some more! please just hear me out! Now, the specifics are something I am leaving up to Inno, should they choose to use my ideas...

Unit Name: Storm Trooper
Supposed Era: Modern Era
Abilities: Gas wave(personal Idea- see diagram) + Close quarters

Unit Name: Redneck
Supposed Era: Contemporary Era
Abilities: Shells(personal Idea- see diagram) + Hides in forest

Unit Name: Palace Guard
Supposed Era: None/All
Abilities: Dug in + Rally 8%

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-25 3.41.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-25 3.41.10 PM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2022-10-25 3.39.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-25 3.39.46 PM.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
The first one is actually already an ability: https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Octopod
Frenzy does exactly what you want with the Gas wave ability.
Shells would only work with units with a range of 1. It would no longer work, if you attack the tile: "1 right, 1 up" right for example.
Just my thought about it. :)
It should be noted that the reason noone remembers frenzy is it was attached to a unit ill-suited for its ability. There's a need for a significant amount of mobility to get next to units.

CrashBoom

Legend
units that need to be directly next to the opponent is so middle age :D

and for me shell is a terrible bad mortar
- must be next to opponent
- only affects 2 other fields

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
units that need to be directly next to the opponent is so middle age :D

and for me shell is a terrible bad mortar
- must be next to opponent
- only affects 2 other fields
Shell is kinda like a slightly different dragon breath. Which has occasionally been fun - even if it's never been terribly defining.

Kronan

Viceroy
I think you're talking about trying an experience in FoE that's distant from the current experience, which is Autobattle-centric. Punch autobattle, get a reward, do it over again, do it fast.

I'd really like your ideas to gain acceptance, but the finer points of these eccentric (eclectic ??) special skills you're proposing is kinda lost when you just punch autobattle repeatedly, and let an "AI" on both side take over for you.

You just see the result in microseconds, but no flavor of fighting action, or visuals. It's very "anti-strategic" in fact.

If Inno wanted to redefine a strategic warfare concept in the game, it could create a no-autobattle venue, How about turning the warfare concept of the game to RTS, and use real physics? I'd rather spend more time in the game playing warfare chess within the framework of city and empire building, without being rushed.

Then all these very cool ideas could germinate and grow, and test FoE players with battle interest at that strategic and tactical level.

Last edited:
thank you guys for your responses! I am rather new at the game(just hit InA) and I like a good battle... with that being said, I just wanted to put some ideas out there. these ideas were made in a mind that was not fully aware of the consequences it would have on the gameplay experience. once again, Thank you!

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator
@Angel of Death 0185 I think you're ideas are really cool and decently out of the box. Especially for someone who's not playing that long. Though as some others said, some abilities already are in the game with another name. Rage is a though ability to use for most players but I've definitely been in battles in which it was a nice ability to have to deal some extra damage. Especially since it's in an decently resilient heavy unit.
Unfortunately as @Xiphos has mentioned, most (veteran) players don't use manual battles and choose automatic battles. Which is often an easy choice once you've obtained enough buffs. However I think cool and exciting new abilities have a great opportunity in an potential new cultural settlement. Like Ancient Egypt cultural settlement. Most players, even the veterans, are fighting there from time to time manually. As the armies of the cultural settlement(s) ain't buffed by player's main city. Which forcing players to either manually battle or accepting a higher risk of loses and thus (major) slow downs in the settlement's progress. As an veteran player I can recommend to try ancient Egypt if you like battles and like to encounter units with different abilities. As it takes some time to unlock units with abilities through the tech tree.

@Angel of Death 0185 I think you're ideas are really cool and decently out of the box. Especially for someone who's not playing that long. Though as some others said, some abilities already are in the game with another name. Rage is a though ability to use for most players but I've definitely been in battles in which it was a nice ability to have to deal some extra damage. Especially since it's in an decently resilient heavy unit.
Unfortunately as @Xiphos has mentioned, most (veteran) players don't use manual battles and choose automatic battles. Which is often an easy choice once you've obtained enough buffs. However I think cool and exciting new abilities have a great opportunity in an potential new cultural settlement. Like Ancient Egypt cultural settlement. Most players, even the veterans, are fighting there from time to time manually. As the armies of the cultural settlement(s) ain't buffed by player's main city. Which forcing players to either manually battle or accepting a higher risk of loses and thus (major) slow downs in the settlement's progress. As an veteran player I can recommend to try ancient Egypt if you like battles and like to encounter units with different abilities. As it takes some time to unlock units with abilities through the tech tree.
thanks, man! I really appreciate it!

Kronan

Viceroy
If anyone has ever played RTS games, such as Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander (or games like Command and Conquer), a very interesting warrior feature was the ability to "absorb" the skill of an enemy unit, and that power (special skill) becomes yours for the game/battle.

In those games, you could carefully position yourself to grab an enemy mech builder or special mech warrior unit, suck out it's skill, and then you would be able to build not only your own army warriors, and then critical pieces of your enemy's army too.

And because it was RTS (REAL TIME STRATEGY) it was as if a silent alarm went off that one of their own was being absorbed, and all the "bees of the hive" converged on you to stop the absorption. Wow.. what a rush to fight them and to secure that special skill you wanted.

It's like a vampire unit. It doesn't work immediately on the battlefield - you have to start your absorption ray on the unit, and it took 30-60 seconds to complete the entire thing - so you had to surround the process with other members of your own warrior team to defend you while this absorption was occurring.

I am positive Inno has tons of creativity for new warriors - it's just that we don't really have a good venue that balances some of the best things that model delivers.

The proposal to remove autobattle from GbG, and reduce the number of advancements needed to take a sector, might be a solution to advancing the cause of warfare chess with a lot of new special skill warriors.

Or add a new venue to the game for slower, thinking types of battles - with NO AUTO-BATTLE allowed.

Last edited:

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
If anyone has ever played RTS games, such as Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander (or games like Command and Conquer), a very interesting warrior feature was the ability to "absorb" the skill of an enemy unit, and that power (special skill) becomes yours for the game/battle.

In those games, you could carefully position yourself to grab an enemy mech builder or special mech warrior unit, suck out it's skill, and then you would be able to build not only your own army warriors, and then critical pieces of your enemy's army too.

And because it was RTS (REAL TIME STRATEGY) it was as if a silent alarm went off that one of their own was being absorbed, and all the "bees of the hive" converged on you to stop the absorption. Wow.. what a rush to fight them and to secure that special skill you wanted.

It's like a vampire unit. It doesn't work immediately on the battlefield - you have to start your absorption ray on the unit, and it took 30-60 seconds to complete the entire thing - so you had to surround the process with other members of your own warrior team to defend you while this absorption was occurring.

I am positive Inno has tons of creativity for new warriors - it's just that we don't really have a good venue that balances some of the best things that model delivers.

The proposal to remove autobattle from GbG, and reduce the number of advancements needed to take a sector, might be a solution to advancing the cause of warfare chess with a lot of new special skill warriors.

Or add a new venue to the game for slower, thinking types of battles - with NO AUTO-BATTLE allowed.
The trouble is all the boost people have accumulated over the years. Short of invalidating it, it makes "no autobattle" just an annoyance over the start of something good - because else who are you building the feature for? Someone with 3000% boost? 1000% boost? 200% boost? You are for instance going to have a problem selling manual-GBG from 0 attrition to people who are fighting to 100+.

drakenridder

Overlord
Perk Creator

Sounds like a Pokémon, there was one that could practically learn any move in existence. It worked by letting the target Pokémon use an attack or move that you permanently wanted to copy. If you let your Pokémon copy the target Pokémon's last move, it would copy the target's last move/attack and it became available to your Pokémon to use whenever you felt like it. This includes exclusive moves of legendary Pokémon.
That been said, is such a unit as you described would be in FoE as an all ages unit through special events, you could theoretically "teach" or "steal" it keen eye from a space age: copy paste unit from the cmap.

Status
Not open for further replies.